• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Hyouka Episode 18

iVHcQIObK3Pta.jpg
iSfEeRhoLpyXc.jpg

I love the composition of those two screen shots.

So long story short: this is not Festival Arc 2.0. This episode felt much more laid back compared to the liveliness of the previous arc but the overall directing and the character interactions didn't falter one bit. There's an interesting little 'twist' in this episode and the reactions from it had me dying of laughter. I really enjoyed how the storytelling of the mystery played out. The mystery itself is a slight departure from the usual ones from last season but it was pretty interesting and slightly depressing.

It's weird but over the course of the show I've really grown on Chitanda's character and I found her very endearing in this episode.
There's definitely some hints of romance between the two characters but I don't feel like anything of the sort will come to fruition. I could be wrong though!
But yeah, overall I enjoyed this though it felt like its own standalone episode instead of a beginning to a new arc. There could be more to it but we won't find out till next week!

Well, they need to make out or it's just longing looks and finger sex!
(The dirty secret is that the three Rinne girls all have secret boyfriends as well.)
Ah, so that's the problem, you want to see their relationship progress. You are right about that, this isn't the kind of franchise where such things happen. This is seinen, not shoujo... but that doesn't mean that they all actually have boyfriends. Certainly though realistically some should.

They're probably just buchou-bros and nothing else. lol
Aww, you want to break all of the BuCap fans' hearts, don't you... :)

These girls are like jpop idols. They have to pretend to be single lest they lose their lonely fans. lol
What, are most pop singers fake lesbians, or something? Because the Saki girls aren't just without men, they mostly show some degree of interest in other girls...

I mean, I imagine you're likely right that that's part of the reason why none of them do, but it's not just that they don't have boyfriends; males in general barely even exist in the Saki franchise. There are only two male characters in the entire franchise who have a name that we actually know, Kyoutarou and Hagiyoshi...

Actually i'd be okay with this pairing. It's the best of both worlds!
No way, Saki/Nodoka's way better than Yuki/Nodoka.

Like I said before, It was in the manga.
Right. I'd call that official for sure.

As for Mihoko I think she fell for Hisa when
they went up against eachother in middle school. She states that when she went into highschool, she waited for Hisa but eventually gave up and was excited when they met again in the nagano tournament.
That's the fan reasoning yes. Does she actually love Hisa, though? I think so, probably, yes, but there is some room to be uncertain about whether it's actually love or not. And as I said, there's no sign Hisa either knows, or returns her feelings.

Lurky

What, are most pop singers fake lesbians, or something? Because the Saki girls aren't just without men, they mostly show some degree of interest in other girls...

I mean, I imagine you're likely right that that's part of the reason why none of them do, but it's not just that they don't have boyfriends; males in general barely even exist in the Saki franchise. There are only two male characters in the entire franchise who have a name that we actually know, Kyoutarou and Hagiyoshi...

Don't forget nanpo!
No way, Saki/Nodoka's way better than Yuki/Nodoka.

But it's still not as good as Saki/Nodoka/Yuki!

That's the fan reasoning yes. Does she actually love Hisa, though? I think so, probably, yes, but there is some room to be uncertain about whether it's actually love or not. And as I said, there's no sign Hisa either knows, or returns her feelings.

It doesn't matter since Mako would probably win that fight anyway.

Don't forget nanpo!
Well sure, and I assume that Nodoka's and Saki's fathers, both of whom we have seen too, have the same last names as their daughters (or in Nanpo's case, granddaughter). But do we know any of their first names? I don't think so.

(Oh, and I'd forgotten who that guy was, and had to look him up. But yeah, I don't see a first name...)

But it's still not as good as Saki/Nodoka/Yuki!
Threesome, huh? You're pushing it aren't you... :)

It doesn't matter since Mako would probably win that fight anyway.
Yeah, probably so.

Dresden

ANNCast had a couple of voice actors as guests this week and the one thing I found interesting is that at least one of the guests was ready to say that he finds it awkward when people say they prefer the dub over the sub, since he sees the Japanese seiyuu as the "original" voice of the character. Which was a nice contrast to Zac, who was basically ready to shit all over the sub-only people.

It's still pretty rude for fans to line up just to tell the voice actors that they think the Japanese versions are better though. People are dicks regardless of their fandoms I guess. :p

I'm sure there's a subset of fans in Japan who prefer certain dubs over the native language.

"Russian Yui is the best!"

Lurky

Well sure, and I assume that Nodoka's and Saki's fathers, both of whom we have seen too, have the same last names as their daughters (or in Nanpo's case, granddaughter). But do we know any of their first names? I don't think so.

(Oh, and I'd forgotten who that guy was, and had to look him up. But yeah, I don't see a first name...)
I was positive he had a first name but now that I rechecked... You're right.

Threesome, huh? You're pushing it aren't you... :)

We must all help to push anime towards greatness. ;)

Nobuna 07

eBkjV.gif

So to start things off, hilarious that "Oichi" got married off to Nagamasa and Nobuna is pushing the Nene ending.

Lots of talking and stuff. Lots of new characters of every type, middle age men that will probably die easily, guy in a mask that will be a dull to deal with, pretty boy that is trying too hard, a femme fatale, an European nun for why the hell not and Masamune giving a new name for lolis.

The main quest? of the day was looking for Himiko. Apparently the same one as the shaman queen of Japan. Like this one:

Oh, they are basically the same thing!

Articalys

Rinne no Lagrange S2 7

...yeah, screw this. I'm not watching this show weekly anymore; I'll just marathon the last five episodes when it's over.

wonzo

Banned
SSO 20

This episode.... FUCKING OWNED!

Not only did they actually flesh out the back-story some more and actually answer some questions but they laid on a shitload of sakuga for one hell of a fight. This episode is a must watch!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hyouka 18:

Oreki.... is INTERESTED in something????

Nice to have a one episode story after a nice long arc, and in this one episode there's a nice little character development. :D

By the by, the artistry in this episode was VERY lovely! The paintings, line and color composition, lighting, simply beautiful! I LOVE YOU KYOANI!! *ahem*

SSO 20

Not only did they actually flesh out the back-story some more and actually answer some questions but they laid on a shitload of sakuga for one hell of a fight. This episode is a must watch!

I think I'm going to use the isolated episode method of watching for this. Just so I don't miss anything, 10, 18, and now 20 were all well-made, good-looking episodes, yes? Anything else within that span?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Shinobu was one of the only highpoints of Nise. Maaya Sakamoto makes everything better.

Shinobu seemed like a neat character, but the way that episode treated her was shameful.

Articalys

SSO 20

You skipped any images from the low 12 minutes there...but Sonya should keep her mask off, like there, and Eden was awesome.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hyouka 18
It is quite the fall to go back to the underwhelming and undercooked Hyouka after the last arc. There is no good wind in to this story, and as such it begins in a confusing place in relation to time and relevance. The content of the episode is dry, predictable, and rather uninteresting. At times it is still heartwarming because of its characters, but its wind-about route to a conclusion that is given little relevance feels needlessly protracted. Structurally as an episode this doesn't even fit together very well. It has no clearly defined beginning, middle, or end, or really identifiable climaxes of any sort. This episode felt very poorly constructed, and it's difficult to come away from it with the sensation that it left any strong impression on me.

Instro

I think I'm going to use the isolated episode method of watching for this. Just so I don't miss anything, 10, 18, and now 20 were all well-made, good-looking episodes, yes? Anything else within that span?

11-12 are ok iirc, as in not super ugly. 14 is the best episode of the 11-17 stretch I believe. It has some good story and a pretty well done fight at the end. 23 is supposed to be the next good staff episode now after 20, according to duckroll.

15-17 in particular are totally avoidable and pretty hideous stuff.

Hyouka 18

Hyouka18_11.jpg

Damn, this is such a visually arresting shot.

Even though this was a more subdued episode compared to the Festival arc, it was still thoroughly impressive and enjoyable. The direction and artistic composition throughout was terrific, especially in the final scene. The character development was quite strong in this episode,
and the small, but convincing hints of further romantic development between Oreki and Chitanda were great.
The use of music was extremely effective in setting the tone and illuminating a plethora of scenes in a rather beautiful fashion. This really has become a consistently interesting show, despite it's occasionally slow nature. For me, the only poor episode was the sixth; all others, at the very least, have managed to be quite entertaining.

Bakemonogatari in a nutshell.

I disagree there. The only distasteful arc of Bakemonogatari, the snake arc, was not "neat" in any way.

11-12 are ok iirc, as in not super ugly. 14 is the best episode of the 11-17 stretch I believe. It has some good story and a pretty well done fight at the end. 23 is supposed to be the next good staff episode now after 20, according to duckroll.

15-17 in particular are totally avoidable and pretty hideous stuff.

Thanks!

This is why I can't trust you guys.

Diversity of opinion is a great thing, isn't it?

Instro

Hyouka 18

Even though this was a more subdued episode compared to the Festival arc, it was still thoroughly impressive and enjoyable. The direction and artistic composition throughout was terrific, especially in the final scene. The character development was quite strong in this episode,
and the small, but convincing hints of further romantic development between Oreki and Chitanda were great.
The use of music was extremely effective in setting the tone and illuminating a plethora of scenes in a rather beautiful fashion. This really has become a consistently interesting show, despite it's occasionally slow nature. The only poor episode was the sixth; all others, at the very least, have managed to be quite entertaining.

I like this junior, seems like a good person.

jman2050

Trust is overrated. You can't trust anyone! Not even yourself!

The clear solution then is to just hate everything and be okay with that.

SSO 20

It's time for me to start looking at this serie ( only saw ep 1)

Infinite Stratos 1-3

This actually might be a fun show after all. Partially from the English dub, which is...special. Cecilia especially. I actually kinda got used to it by the 3rd episode so I may just stick with it. Beyond that there's nothing especially bad here. Could use some more yuri, but I could say that about a lot of shows :).

So far, Cecilia = best girl :D.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't think I've ever seen you trust anyone on GAF. If you did they must be a god or something.
That's not true. There are lots of people on GAF who know plenty more than me who typically have opinions I respect.

The reactions to the most recent episode of Hyouka that are positive just seem personally disingenuous to me as the intense structural shortcomings of the show are overlooked in light of an attachment to the characters. This isn't to say people are not allowed to enjoy the episode, just that even the "positive" impressions fail to establish any genuine merit for quality.
I edited, since that wasn't what I intended.
Such qualifiers are not required.

The reactions to the most recent episode of Hyouka that are positive just seem personally disingenuous to me as the intense structural shortcomings of the show are overlooked in light of an attachment to the characters. This isn't to say people are not allowed to enjoy the episode, just that even the "positive" impressions fail to establish any genuine merit for quality.

As one who has not yet seen this episode, I would say the screenshots posted certainly show that it at least has beautiful art and layouts.

Gundam Age 44
tumblr_m90rrrs2qp1ru928co6_500.png

Gundam Legilis ftw
Zehearto better win against that mobile suit? guarding the exa db!
. Anyway they are really making the ending super obvious
understanding and such

Plot
With Zehearto incharge of Eden and Kio and Asemu on the same page, as well as Asemu and Zehearto's outstanding issues and actual abilitiy to work together, I think a peaceful solution will be found for the Vegan, Earth, and Eden issue. However Flit, well Flit may just die if he is that revenge focused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom