• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Joshiraku #3: Now with subtitles!

joshirakucrotchrot.gif

Much better!

Not a whole lot to say that I didn't get the first time. Cute girls. Domestic violence. Going into song. Yep.

joshirakumarii.gif

Marii is best girl.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Joshiraku #3: Now with subtitles!

joshirakucrotchrot.gif

Much better!

Marii is best girl.

Hmm, blue's arm reach would not actually make contact with orange's cheek at that distance. This slap has some hard work in front of it if it wants to compete with the greats.

Narag

Lol. Prepare yourself man.

But the story is resolved and I was given closure to a 12 episode series. Surely the additional ten episodes MAL says I have to go through is some prank being played by the site administrators, right? ... right?

cajunator

Banned
But the story is resolved and I was given closure to a 12 episode series. Surely the additional ten episodes MAL says I have to go through is some prank being played by the site administrators, right? ... right?

How many episodes is that abomination exactly?

The second half is even more amazing in my opinion, the better op and character developments, make the first part seem like a tasty appetizer.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Actually there are some really really really good episodes in the second season. Too bad the season in its entirety is so bad it's ridiculously hilarious.

How many episodes is that abomination exactly?

24 I think.

Jex

[Windy Tales] - 1

Windy Tales is a 2004 animated series from the director of Dog Days about wind.

Okay, perhaps that’s not the most inspiring start to a review. Junji Nishimura also directed b]Ranma ½[/b] and Simoun, he’s also worked on a few other titles that you might know about. He seems to be a fairly competent fellow. This is one of his more lyrical works and I like what I’ve seen of it so far.

It’s rather too early to say what the series is about and it’s pretty hard to pin what ‘genre’ it would fall under either. Wikipedia calls it a slice of life show, which certainly doesn’t help clarify anything. Perhaps it would be clearer if I told you that it felt like one of those short, fantastical Ray Bradbury stories. I guess that doesn’t help if you haven’t read any Bradbury (shame on you!). Suffice to say there’s a character in the show, something happens to her and she makes an interesting discovery. Oh, and it’s very windy.

I’ve somehow rambled on for through two whole paragraphs of twaddle and I haven’t been brought up this shows most distinguishing feature. Let me rectify this oversight:

WindyTales15.jpg

It’s the art! The way that the characters and the world are drawn eschew traditional, realistic depictions shapes and instead everything is made of wobbly, changeable lines as opposed to static, rigid character designs. Because the style is so loose and as they aren’t attempting to emulate movement in a detailed, realistic manner a la Hyouka they can really go all ought and have crazy, exaggerated movements where the character bend and twist as they anime. In other words, fans of sakuga will surely find something here to enjoy.

WindyTales16.jpg

Lots of cool people worked on the art direction and the animation for this opening episode and they really did a great job here. It doesn’t look like any other show that I’ve seen, apart from something like [n]Kemonozume[/b] which has the same sketchy, loose style,

Unlike say, Star Driver, the animation on display isn’t just here to look good. It does a great job conveying tones, moods and facial expressions. It’s remarkably effective. Even better, there’s more to the show than it’s unique look. The script in this episode was remarkably strong and I felt that it did a good job of setting up a small group of characters fairly well. There actions felt believable, despite the situation that they were placed in, which helped to really tie me to them as avatars.

Oh, and as you might expect, the wind animation looks great:

WindyTales11.jpg

WindyTales12.jpg

WindyTales14.jpg

I look forward to seeing more of it.

cajunator

Banned
[Windy Tales] - 1

Windy Tales is a 2004 animated series from the director of Dog Days about wind.

Okay, perhaps that’s not the most inspiring start to a review. Junji Nishimura also directed b]Ranma ½[/b] and Simoun, he’s also worked on a few other titles that you might know about. He seems to be a fairly competent fellow. This is one of his more lyrical works and I like what I’ve seen of it so far.

It’s rather too early to say what the series is about and it’s pretty hard to pin what ‘genre’ it would fall under either. Wikipedia calls it a slice of life show, which certainly doesn’t help clarify anything. Perhaps it would be clearer if I told you that it felt like one of those short, fantastical Ray Bradbury stories. I guess that doesn’t help if you haven’t read any Bradbury (shame on you!). Suffice to say there’s a character in the show, something happens to her and she makes an interesting discovery. Oh, and it’s very windy.

I’ve somehow rambled on for through two whole paragraphs of twaddle and I haven’t been brought up this shows most distinguishing feature. Let me rectify this oversight:

WindyTales15.jpg

It’s the art! The way that the characters and the world are drawn eschew traditional, realistic depictions shapes and instead everything is made of wobbly, changeable lines as opposed to static, rigid character designs. Because the style is so loose and as they aren’t attempting to emulate movement in a detailed, realistic manner a la Hyouka they can really go all ought and have crazy, exaggerated movements where the character bend and twist as they anime. In other words, fans of sakuga will surely find something here to enjoy.

WindyTales16.jpg

Lots of cool people worked on the art direction and the animation for this opening episode and they really did a great job here. It doesn’t look like any other show that I’ve seen, apart from something like [n]Kemonozume[/b] which has the same sketchy, loose style,

Unlike say, Star Driver, the animation on display isn’t just here to look good. It does a great job conveying tones, moods and facial expressions. It’s remarkably effective. Even better, there’s more to the show than it’s unique look. The script in this episode was remarkably strong and I felt that it did a good job of setting up a small group of characters fairly well. There actions felt believable, despite the situation that they were placed in, which helped to really tie me to them as avatars.

Oh, and as you might expect, the wind animation looks great:

WindyTales11.jpg

WindyTales12.jpg

WindyTales14.jpg

I look forward to seeing more of it.

I saw a few episodes of this series. I LOVE that art style. It was the main draw.
For some reason I stopped watching it, but I'd like to pick it up again now that you've reminded me.

Articalys

Also, from the Funi/Geneon panel:
09:31:33 <bay|Ota|Geneon> who here likes [Serial Experiments Lain]
09:31:44 <bay|Ota|Geneon> it will be coming out later this year on bluray
09:31:52 <bay|Ota|Geneon> and it will be a very, very, very special edition
09:31:58 <bay|Ota|Geneon> there will be a lot of cool stuff going in that box
09:32:01 <bay|Ota|Geneon> graphic designers are working over time
09:32:07 <bay|Ota|Geneon> it's a very important show, it inspired the matrix
09:32:25 <bay|Ota|Geneon> and we're going all out for lain
09:32:41 <bay|Ota|Geneon> it's gorgeous, we're really happy to put it on bluray, it's taken extra time, but when you see it, you'll say it's worth it

cajunator

Banned
Also, from the Funi/Geneon panel:

Watching Lain the first time, I could only get through 8 episodes of it and I got a massive headache. but I'm willing to buy this, since its a good chance to pick it up in a collectible edition, as well as see more of ABe's delicious artwork. Funimation should do a pretty good job with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom