• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't really know anything about the prequel book honestly but that Oz comparison seems like a good way to put it into perspective and it's relationship with the story. Thanks.
I guess it becomes a strictly philosophical thing.

Do you watch Star Trek: Enterprise before Star Trek? Do you watch the Star Wars films in chronological order? Do you read the new Watchmen spinoff books before Watchmen?

My understanding is that the prequel book covers the period right up until Anne is "adopted" in the first book of the series, so that might provide an interesting perspective on the character and how she develops Canadian-genki-girl powers. That might be an interesting perspective to have going into the main series.

Then again, I don't even know who the prequel book is for. Adults who have grown up with the books? As an intro for children? Who knows.

---
Tari Tari 5
QHe2gl.jpg

Look, I know you're doing the :firehawk story and you want to create some Angsty-McAngsterton to give the :firehawk some jdrama-weight, but it was a little bit thick this time around.

I'm really surprised Sakai didn't shout
I WISH YOU WERE DEAD to her mom before she saw her for the last time.
That would have been the topper anyway. :p

Hopefully the angst is resolved next week and they can just go into :firehawk modo for the rest of the series.

Hyouka 15
tumblr_m7y33vzIc81r14blmo1_r1_500.gif

Nice moment in the club room, though it feels as if everyone, excluding Houtarou, is a bit down. Kind of feel sad for Fukube, his mixed feelings over how Houtarou is developing, hope he can still embrace him like he did in the past since he is still providing him what he wanted and hopefully what he desires.

Vocaloid cosplayers are awful.
How dare they make Ibara feel that way, I was so angry at them, calling a manga they never heard of a doujin and then acting like its less quality than a manga :( Unfortunately for her I dont think Fukube will provide the type of support she is looking for.

Honestly would like it if Fukube solves this case, would be interesting to see everyones response

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lol I had almost every non great or best anime at 7's besides
2 for School Days
2 for Lucky Star
3 for Death Note.
were the only things I had below 7 till I redid my scale.
School Days is the best harem though.

I almost wish they would do Cross Days, because the troll ending in that one is amazing.

Hum Everyone is doing that anime list thing so i might do it tomorrow.

The problem is that i'm watching anime since so long it might be hard/long to do

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Shiki

You know, it's been a little while since I finished this and it still bothers me how often vampires are required to feed in this show. Humans take a longass time to mature, so if they were to be treated as livestock having to kill them too often is an unsustainable strategy. In other stories vampires can wait a bit longer or use non-preferred alternatives.
Considering that, everyone would have been fucked either way.

I'm nitpicking though. Outside the crazy character designs and Fresh Precure art I enjoyed it.

...but enough of that...

The Star of Cottonland

cottonland_zpsad0fca56.jpg

This is one of the cutest movies I have seen, combining great animation with an array of adorable situations. Wikipedia mentions that this movie is responsible for popularizing nekomimi, but it feels more like the original source of all things :cajun. Much like many old anime you can trace things to, though, this coming-of-age story is more balanced than some of what followed in its footsteps as it isn't just about assaulting you with cuteness.

This movie also differs in its use of anthropomorphism. Catgirls in modern anime are almost always functionally human outside their differentiating traits, but in this movie cats, while having the appearance of people, are functionally cats. For example, they have inner monologues and converse with each other, but the communication barrier between cats and people remains. I spent a good deal of time wondering if this is meant to be a purely stylistic decision or if cats in the movie actually look that way, but from what I could gather, the evidence points both ways.

Hum Everyone is doing that anime list thing so i might do my tomorrow.

The problem is that i'm watching anime since so long it might be hard/long to do
I had the same problem, just start with classics and fill in what you know from there.
Luckily I found my notebook that I had written down the lesser known anime in.
Still have a page full to put in but I haven't gotten around to it.

Most of my anime don't have watched dates though.

Theonik

Hum Everyone is doing that anime list thing so i might do my tomorrow.

Here's a nice piece of advice from Hitokage that helped me starting out, use ANN's list and look for things you think you watched check them and add them. Speeds up the process a fair bit and is much simpler than trying to remember everything you watched.
Theonik, everything about your MAL is amazing including the avatar.
Thanks <3
Edit:
I should have noticed that one sooner.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
That is kind of a disappointing score for a secret admirer/e-stalker.

Second highest compatability after lafiel!

Angel's Egg 10
Ghost in the Shell 10
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence 9
Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer 10

wonzo <3

Weirdly enough, out of the animegaffers you are second in terms of compatibility, while wonzo is the highest.:p

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hyouka 15

Wow. Just... wow. This episode was really good. I think with each passing episode we get a more definitive characterization of the main cast. We get to see what differentiates each of these characters as well as the cracks beneath their outer appearance. Trying to juggle all of this while maintaining an interesting, cohesive plot is hard but somehow they really pull it off. I wasn't really into the whole school festival arc but these last two episodes have really made the show shine. I could care less about the animation with the exception of how they portray Fukube visually. It's really remarkable how they get his looks down. Love it. Great episode so far. I expect great things in the future, however, this still doesn't really redeem it's previous 13 crappy/subpar episodes.

Hyouka 15

Wow. Just... wow. This episode was really good. I think with each passing episode we get a more definitive characterization of the main cast. We get to see what differentiates each of these characters as well as the cracks beneath their outer appearance.

I dont think it was THAT good. Oreki barely had any such character development or characterization, I guess, than he had in previous episodes, I mean his highlight for that, in an actually good episode and arc was the film festival arc with his one on one with the girl and the stuff with that mystery. Chitanda as well is better defined in a previous episode too.

kayos90

I dont think it was THAT good. Oreki barely had any such character development or characterization, I guess, than he had in previous episodes, I mean his highlight for that, in an actually good episode and arc was the film festival arc with his one on one with the girl and the stuff with that mystery. Chitanda as well is better defined in a previous episode too.

I disagree. It's a slow burn but each episode we get to see distinguishing aspects of each character in the Classics Club, outside of that ecosystem, and beyond. In the end is this episode. We get to see Oreki slowly and slowly come to the realization of his intellectual prowess by waiting for the culprit to show up at the end. We have Fukube have an inferiority complex with Oreki as well as his annoying "rivalry" with that random guy. Not only that but he stands out as a person who has great motivation, despite himself not being prideful on it. Mayaka is more open about herself especially with Manga and we get to see how her attitude shifts between the environment of the CC and the MS. Last but not least we get to see that there is a bit more than curiosity with our dumb moeblob. This is the pinnacle of differentiation among the characters and there clear definitive lines between the characters.

I disagree. It's a slow burn but each episode we get to see distinguishing aspects of each character in the Classics Club, outside of that ecosystem, and beyond. In the end is this episode. We get to see Oreki slowly and slowly come to the realization of his intellectual prowess by waiting for the culprit to show up at the end. We have Fukube have an inferiority complex with Oreki as well as his annoying "rivalry" with that random guy. Not only that but he stands out as a person who has great motivation, despite himself not being prideful on it. Mayaka is more open about herself especially with Manga and we get to see how her attitude shifts between the environment of the CC and the MS. Last but not least we get to see that there is a bit more than curiosity with our dumb moeblob. This is the pinnacle of differentiation among the characters and there clear definitive lines between the characters.

But weve seen that better done in an episode or two when Satoshi and Fukube have their post mystery conversation, the rivalry was already showcased in two episodes the one preceding the cooking contest as well as the episode with the cooking contest. There were consistent and numerous hints towards Satoshis inner issues for several episodes. A few things were already solidified for these character elements episodes before this one.

I had the same problem, just start with classics and fill in what you know from there.
Luckily I found my notebook that I had written down the lesser known anime in.
Still have a page full to put in but I haven't gotten around to it.

Most of my anime don't have watched dates though.

I'm still doing the A letter ...

Woah this will take me the entire night !!

just add utena and give it a ten and you'll already have 70% compatibility.
You'll be surprised what i'll rate ultena when i'll reach the U letter

kayos90

Joshiraku 3

i'm pleased to report that this show still owns (kumeta!) and that red is still the best girl™

Is there anything about this show other than girl-talk? I like the art style and I sort of want to watch it but if there's no good narrative quality I enjoy, I don't want to watch it...

trejo

Hmm, I think passing on Joshiraku was the wisest move after all.

Kokoro Connect 1-3

Truthfully, based on the premise I didn't really think I would enjoy this but after passing the initial hurdle of being able to match a name to a personality it's actually quite fun. I get the feeling it's gonna go into some silly overblown drama sooner or later since some of the signs are already there and the small bit of philosophizing it tried to pull came totally out of left field but so far it's not as bad as I expected.

Tari Tari 1-3

This one, on the other hand, I find quite boring on the whole. None of the characters are interesting to me and I couldn't care less about their plights or backstories and so far the biggest highlight has been a spaniard harrassing and stalking a young japanese girl.

The only reason that would get me to keep watching is to see if that one teacher manages to get laid or something and stops being such an unbelievable bitch.

cajunator

Banned
I'm still doing the A letter ...

Woah this will take me the entire night !!

You'll be surprised what i'll rate ultena when i'll reach the U letter

Updating MAL is a pain in the ass :(
Maybe im just too lazy

Joshiraku 3

i'm pleased to report that this show still owns (kumeta!) and that red is still the best girl™

Yes. Red is definitely in firm control of best girl status at present time.

kayos90

Tari Tari 5

Man... that was sort of painful to watch.

EDIT: I take that back. It WAS painful to watch. I guess i'll post more thoughts on it later.

sonicmj1

If you all like your MALs so much, I'm sure they have forums there where you can post.

It... it's not like I'm feeling left out or anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom