• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh god, legend of galactic heroes looks like a hefty show to consume.

Wheres that list of order of stuff of stuff to be consumed?

And y'all make me sad, i was like the biggest fan of space pirates :/

I cant imagine they wont do a standard boxset release of Fate Zero sometime in late 2013 outside of JPN or even with a dub, so one could honestly wait. After the BLue Exorcist thing Ill be waiting for any of Aniplex's sub only releases, well apart from that bakemono anime or whatever.

I wonder how Bandai will release Age, couldnt the ones doing Gundam Unicorn release it, though I bet it would be sets like five or so ten episode sets for $79.99 each...

I guess that's always true...I don't have much of a choice right now but to wait anyway.

Bandai Visual handles the worldwide release of Unicorn directly, and at their Otakon panel said that eps 6 and 7 wouldn't be affected by Bandai Entertainment going under. I'm guessing that this is a unique arrangement, and as far as AGE is concerned a North American company like Funimation would have to step up for US to get anything aside from subbed imports.

cajunator

Banned
oh god, legend of galactic heroes looks like a hefty show to consume.

Wheres that list of order of stuff of stuff to be consumed?

And y'all make me sad, i was like the biggest fan of space pirates :/

Same here. Mouretsu Space Pirates was the best kind of fun.

Also, are you referring to MAL?

nadesco is amazing.

and i'm just confused with Logh having so much ova's and ovas and movies. Can i just watch the show first and watch everything else?

nadesco is amazing.

and i'm just confused with Logh having so much ova's and ovas and movies. Can i just watch the show first and watch everything else?
Here you go:
ibfZ4qcULtEmCC.jpg
I haven't watched it yet, but I'm assuming it's correct.

Ultimadrago

Mobile Suit Gundam - The 08th MS Team 4

CneyG.png

Flying weapon thing #43458

After some flight testing, we get military fist fighting. Because what's a military show without the occasional dirt-scattered brawl?

Political fancy follows with an idea you'll never guess...
war weapon
! I know, I know original to the last syllable.

CpxcY.png

Karen is making some homegrown team memories.

The 08 Team gains some internal issues off of
Sander's nickname "Reaper" being explained
. Superstition is the last thing desired holding back a pilot. This causes some turbulence between Karen. Anyhow, nothing out of the ordinary when confronting team dynamics and hurdles. Michel overrated quite much towards the idea of the superstition though. Concern is one thing, nervously not finding the ability to keep one's jaw shut about it is another matter (an annoying matter).

Lesson of the day:
"You can break any jinx with faith!"

Overall, a fairly solid character building episode. Amada is still a straight-headed protagonist and it's entertaining to see him learning about and from his team. It's helping him mentally prepare his role in leadership for the inevitable issues (with bigger guns) to come ahead. I wonder if they'll be able to make a counter for the "Gigantor" weapon. Hopefully, it will be touched on and if not, then another character central episode wouldn't hurt.

DiGiKerot

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-video-releases-listed-with-english-subtitles

So this brings the current count of recent Bandai Visual published stuff with English subtitles to...

- Gundam Unicorn
- Horizon
- Yamato 2199
- Eureka Seven AO
- Code Geass Nunnally in Wonderland
- Gundam AGE
- Gundam SEED HD Remaster
- Accel World

Might have missed some stuff, but I think it is almost for certain now that when Akito is released on Blu-ray, it'll have English subs.

Also Tiger and Bunny and Sacred Seven (well, the TV part of Sacred Seven, the movie reedit thingy was unsubbed), and a few of their boxsets of older shows like My-HiME and My-ZHiME. I'm pretty sure that Accel World is actually published on Warner Home Video rather than Bandai Visual, though.

I gather the main reason behind all this subtitling is that Bandai themselves funded updates to... I think it was Aegisub in order to make it output subtitles in the format that their disk production partners use for producing BD subtitles. Because all the subtitlers who do work for their international streaming partners use Aegisub to do their subtitling work, it's become pretty trivial for them to incorporate those subtitles on their releases.

The outliers here are Gundam Unicorn (which was a weird experiment in doing international simultaneous releases at Japanese prices), Yamato and Nunnally. I kind of wonder if they've somehow gotten metrics showing that the increase in sales for the shows they started adding subtitles to and figured it was worthwhile paying for the translation of shows not being show aboard.

Also Tiger and Bunny and Sacred Seven (well, the TV part of Sacred Seven, the movie reedit thingy was unsubbed), and a few of their boxsets of older shows like My-HiME and My-ZHiME. I'm pretty sure that Accel World is actually published on Warner Home Video rather than Bandai Visual, though.

I gather the main reason behind all this subtitling is that Bandai themselves funded updates to... I think it was Aegisub in order to make it output subtitles in the format that their disk production partners use for producing BD subtitles. Because all the subtitlers who do work for their international streaming partners use Aegisub to do their subtitling work, it's become pretty trivial for them to incorporate those subtitles on their releases.

The outliers here are Gundam Unicorn (which was a weird experiment in doing international simultaneous releases at Japanese prices), Yamato and Nunnally. I kind of wonder if they've somehow gotten metrics showing that the increase in sales for the shows they started adding subtitles to and figured it was worthwhile paying for the translation of shows not being show aboard.

Was it really a sales decision, SEED already had subs, Age streams with subs (non US?) , Horizon streams subs, Accel World too, Sacred Seven streamed, E7AO too (though I guess those with their licensees help?)

DiGiKerot

Was it really a sales decision, SEED already had subs, Age streams with subs (non US?) , Horizon streams subs, Accel World too, Sacred Seven streamed, E7AO too (though I guess those with their licensees help?)

My point was that Nunnally and Yamato don't stream, though - it would appear that those subtitles have been produced purely for the Japanese BD release.

cajunator

Banned
My point was that Nunnally and Yamato don't stream, though - it would appear that those subtitles have been produced purely for the Japanese BD release.

I only want E7AO and Accel World out of that list, so I might consider importing if they are subbed. Thats really the main thing keeping me from buying Japanese releases. the language barrier.

Oh shit. Yes. Definitely Outlaw Star too. Man I forget how many great space action shows there used to be. I think there are even more than this too.

Getting a lot of good recommendations from animeGAF (probably helps that I'm a noob here). Haven't seen LoGH, Outlaw Star or Nadesico, but going to do my best to change that. Glad Right Stuf/Nozomi is rereleasing the latter.

duckroll

Yeah you're right, it's Warner Home Video. The show is by Sunrise, so I expected BV to be distributing it. It's pretty unusual for Sunrise to be animating a show which isn't distroed by BV right? I wonder how that deal got worked out...

There's definitely some sort of larger strategy at work here though, where they're trying to incorporate more English subs into their bigger releases or more "core fan" releases, probably to encourage hardcore fans outside of Japan to import. That is the strategy Bandai Entertainment described after all, when they announced they would be stopping their operations.

I wonder is there's any real impact though. How many copies of a given show do you reckon is being imported? Would these sales be tracked? It would be nice to have clearer answers on stuff like that. Oh well...

cajunator

Banned
Yeah you're right, it's Warner Home Video. The show is by Sunrise, so I expected BV to be distributing it. It's pretty unusual for Sunrise to be animating a show which isn't distroed by BV right? I wonder how that deal got worked out...

There's definitely some sort of larger strategy at work here though, where they're trying to incorporate more English subs into their bigger releases or more "core fan" releases, probably to encourage hardcore fans outside of Japan to import. That is the strategy Bandai Entertainment described after all, when they announced they would be stopping their operations.

I wonder is there's any real impact though. How many copies of a given show do you reckon is being imported? Would these sales be tracked? It would be nice to have clearer answers on stuff like that. Oh well...

Well I definitely know Id already be buying Space Pirates, Acchi Kocchi, Ano Natsu, etc if there were subbed versions in R2. Maybe the companies can just sub the shows and sell that version here too. That would kind of screw over Us licensors though. Well US licensors could serve as distributors still so maybe not.

DiGiKerot

It's unusual but not entirely unprecedented - I mean, Gintama is Aniplex, isn't it? Can't really think of any other examples off the top of my head, though.

I'm not really sure how they'd actually be able to gauge how much of this stuff is going outside of Japan, though - it's not like most people use stores to buy Japanese releases that don't service Japan as well (though I suppose I'd imagine that the lions share of Neowing/CDJapans sales are for outside Japan). Anecdotally, I know I've got a few of those recent Bandai subbed releases (and would probably have gotten Accel World if I'd known about the subs in advance), but I realise I'm in a minority there.

nadesco is amazing.

Watch in this order
My Conquest is the Sea of stars MOVIE
Overture to a new war MOVIE
Main OVA

The other 2 OVAs like "A Hundred billion Stars, a hundred billion lights" are prequels, watch them after the main OVA.

Its up to you if you wanna watch Golden Wings, its a misstep in the LoGH franchise.

LoGH=greatest story ever. Be prepared for intelligent conversations and concentrate, its a show with a lot of characters and backstory, don't expect it to be a Gundam with lots of action.

DiGiKerot

Only the first disc was 2 I think, and based on the scrolling ad in the last episode, they seem to have five episodes on the Gundam Age discs now.

It goes up to four episodes a volume, but the price pretty much doubles as well. It's pretty usual for Bandai to release a lower price, lower content (but sometimes nicely-extra'd) initial volume of their series before ramping the price up for subsequent releases.

I refuse to watch Age due to the kids lol. I just don't feel the "kids with mecha" thing.

The AGE main pilots are all in line with the ages of the main pilots from most other Gundam (00 skewed a bit older I believe). In fact, I think Uso from Victory is still the youngest...and that was Kill-em-all Tomino at his peak. I suppose AGE's art style lends itself to a younger demographic (which is what Bandai wanted to target) so I can still see where you're coming from.

It goes up to four episodes a volume, but the price pretty much doubles as well. It's pretty usual for Bandai to release a lower price, lower content (but sometimes nicely-extra'd) initial volume of their series before ramping the price up for subsequent releases.

I'll admit it's been awhile since I last checked...might help a little bit to have an increased episode count per volume but it still winds up being an expensive proposition. Still, I may give up and just start importing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom