• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Aim for the Top! Gunbuster- Final

As for the characters themselves, I found this the weakest part of the show really. Noriko spends half her time crying and the other half training. We really don't see progress on her front but are mainly told to accept it at face-value. Noriko gets the main mech not of any accomplishments of her own but pretty much out of a sense of guilt/redemption on the part of Coachie who was playing favorites.

Not to hand wave or excuse the shows problems in this area, because the show certainly suffers in this area, but in the case of Noriko the fact that she doesn't change that much (although she certainly changes somewhat) over the course of Gunbuster is kind of the point. It ties back into the time-dilation aspect of the story because Noriko doesn't really have that much time to change, despite the vast amount of time that passes in the story.

All in all I wouldn't say it's noteworthy in any area except one, how they handled the time dilation. It was a very big deal in the show and I appreciated their attempts to portray this. Many scifi franchises flat out ignore this and I thought the way Gunbuster handled it brought a very good emotional core to the series and it surprised me about how critical it was to the entire series.

Well, I think Gunbuster is also 'notable' for it's animation and for it's depiction of ever-increasing scale. Those aren't particularly worthy elements in terms of how you might approach the work critically but I think they are important nevertheless.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's the beauty of the Mardock Scramble universe. Cyborg Technology is considered impressive while at the same time scientists have managed to create a hyper-intelligent talking mouse that can transmute it's shape into a variety of things and no one seems to notice that one of these feats is rather more impressive than the other.
Haha. Well, then again, I'm sure if someone from the past looked at our world, they'd probably wonder why we'd take something for granted too!

Articalys

It would seem that Urobuchi had some post-Otakon fun as long as he was in the area.
7D0tt.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Not to hand wave or excuse the shows problems in this area, because the show certainly suffers in this area, but in the case of Noriko the fact that she doesn't change that much (although she certainly changes somewhat) over the course of Gunbuster is kind of the point. It ties back into the time-dilation aspect of the story because Noriko doesn't really have that much time to change, despite the vast amount of time that passes in the story.

Well, I think Gunbuster is also 'notable' for it's animation and for it's depiction of ever-increasing scale. Those aren't particularly worthy elements in terms of how you might approach the work critically but I think they are important nevertheless.

Well there are two types of development Noriko is lacking, character and combat-related. The later is a problem as it goes against the theme of the series, in that you have to earn your spot in the world yet we never really see Noriko do this except for the first episode. Having some sort of 'rite of passage' is necessary I think for many sorts of stories. In this case, Noriko could have very easily had a duel against Jung Freud (the redhead) and won her right to pilot Gunbuster. Instead she is just flat out given the most powerful mech despite freezing on pretty much every occasion. She is pretty much given this mech because of who her father was and not due to any accomplishments on her part. As for the character development, yes she does exhibit some growth. Part of the problem is that she then regresses a little bit in the next episode in the worst possible manner. The personal development isn't primarily what my issue was, it was the combat-skills development as it kinda undercuts the entire series.

I definitely agree the animation is notable and same with scale, even if it cheats a bit at the end, I was just primarily thinking about the writing. I would have to knock the animation down a few pegs though, as an overall analysis, just for how lackluster the final episode was. The music is kinda forgettable though.

Nafe

They Were Eleven or Jūichinin Iru!

They_Were_11_DVD_cover.jpg

While I was very much aware of this films existence I had never actually seen it before, just as I'm aware of Akira but don't recall having seen it. With it's somewhat recent mention in the currently airing show Hyouka, which I'm enjoying, I became interested enough in it to give it a watch.

Despite knowing of it, I didn't actually know anything about it. This was a complete blind watch for me so I'm not sure actually how much to even say as some minor things might be considered spoilers to some. For example, I didn't even know the genre was
a mystery. Although I suppose that is also possibly why it was tied in with Hyouka
Therefore I'm going to try and state some of my thoughts but try and also keep it as vague as possible. I'll still label the more obvious spoilers regarding the film.

Personally I thought this was a good film and wish I had actually seen it earlier. Some elements might come across as a bit cliche now such as a the general idea of a group of strangers having to work together in an isolated location and learning to get along and trust each other through some hardship. I suppose it depends on how many similar themed stories you've personally seen.

Some of the moments where perhaps a bit of science was involved might have been a bit off such as
the explosions sending them into and out of their orbit and the temperature cool down at the end was quite fast
but I'll let it slide. People often mention there is no sound in space but watching a space battle in a science fiction movie suddenly turn mute or silent film style every time wouldn't be as entertaining. Also having to wait for time delays in interstellar communication would also cause some pacing problems, so in the interest of practicality and enjoyment I give those moments a pass.

The quote on the box that says "engaging" I initially though was somewhat simplistic and kind of pointless but now after watching the film that's actually how I would probably describe the movie as well with it's plot twists and revelations. Unfortunately only about half the crew is really focused on and I found this not only makes those not focused on less interesting but with the plot of
the eleventh person it makes you suspect more those that are focused on compared to the others that have no story. It made me wish they did flesh out the other characters more to at least maybe make you perhaps have to guess a bit more regarding this mystery.

A scene somewhat partway through the film involving a character initially came across as a forced bit of fan service, much like many anime shows today, but the details about this characters gender and the revelations that came with that I found really interesting actually. I don''t think I've ever seen a film discuss the subject exactly as They were Eleven does. A certain critical scene later in the movie and the characters decision at the end were also pretty interestingly handled. I found this character became a much more interesting person and previous actions came a bit more into light and didn't carry the initially obvious message as I thought they did.

As much as I mentioned about the story being engaging I'm not sure how it will hold up on a second or multiple viewing because of the genre and setup.
Many of the plot twists and revelations happen either more abruptly or aren't very subtle with the clues leading up to them, at least I didn't think they were subtle or things that one could really miss anyway.

Lastly, as expected with Mayaka being in the Manga club and referring to the manga, she is dressed as Frol appears in the manga and not her dress style of the anime film.

There's more that can be covered but I feel I've gone on long enough to end it here and would personally recommend people give this a watch. If you've read all of this then thanks for your time as I know it was perhaps a long read.

Jex

They Were Eleven or Jūichinin Iru!

While I was very much aware of this films existence I had never actually seen it before, just as I'm aware of Akira but don't recall having seen it.

Dude. You should rectify that shortly.

Jex

Well there are two types of development Noriko is lacking, character and combat-related. The later is a problem as it goes against the theme of the series, in that you have to earn your spot in the world yet we never really see Noriko do this except for the first episode. Having some sort of 'rite of passage' is necessary I think for many sorts of stories. In this case, Noriko could have very easily had a duel against Jung Freud (the redhead) and won her right to pilot Gunbuster. Instead she is just flat out given the most powerful mech despite freezing on pretty much every occasion. She is pretty much given this mech because of who her father was and not due to any accomplishments on her part. As for the character development, yes she does exhibit some growth. Part of the problem is that she then regresses a little bit in the next episode in the worst possible manner. The personal development isn't primarily what my issue was, it was the combat-skills development as it kinda undercuts the entire series.

Once again, this is going to sound like I am giving Gunbuster a free pass, when I'm not, but I feel that the context that the OVA was made in is useful in understanding some of the plot elements.

After all, Gunbuster started out very differently to how it ended up. I am referring to the weird high school girl-rivalry aspect that drives the opening episode. This setting, the characters and even certain story developments are all direct parodies of the very famous Aim for the Ace TV series. Gunbuster's full name is even Aim for the Top! Gunbuster.

In Aim for the Ace Coachie, apparently at random, selects a girl called Hiromi, who's pretty awful at tennis, to play in the best tennis squad at her school even though she's done nothing to earn it. This closely mirrors how Coachie chooses Noriko in Gunbuster. It's pretty weird in that series, too. It's part of the parody, as opposed to something that's supposed to make story sense. Later on Gunsbuter stops being a Aim for the Ace parody and starts doing it's own thing but it still has that odd vestigial connection to that older work.

Once again, it's just an explanation, not an excuse.

Jex

Well, even with how silly Gunbuster can get, it's big hook is that it is hard scifi when it comes to the effects of time dilation...

Those robots are pretty scientific too. They run on real (fake) reactors, as opposed to something like spiral power.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
oh god, legend of galactic heroes looks like a hefty show to consume.

Wheres that list of order of stuff of stuff to be consumed?

And y'all make me sad, i was like the biggest fan of space pirates :/

You can always check out Crest of the stars first which is significantly shorter.

Viewing order - COTS > BOTS1 > Birth: OVA > BOTS2 > BOTS3

Nafe

You should watch up to 33 ASAP. I think you'd really enjoy it.

This post doesn't have to do with Utena but since I've been busy I've only recently got around to reading your comments about the references Mawaru Penguindrum makes to Night on the Galactic Railroad. Having just seen NotGR this got me curious and I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I'm watching Penguindrum.

I don't think you mentioned any specifics other than an apple. While I remember somewhat how it was used it NotGR such as
how they were able to keep splitting the one to share it
,I don't remember all the specific ways in which it was referenced in Penguindrum.

Dude. You should rectify that shortly.

If I have seen it, it was so long ago I don't remember any of it or what it's really about. I do know it has some amazing animation though.

Well for those who are not in the IRC room.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/n...-baby-creator-asked-to-prepare-for-2nd-season

http://i.imgur.com/AfTDX.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

This is great ... Kill me baby had nice puns overall and i liked it
[quote="duckroll, post: 40506316"]What the. Oh I see a bunny!!!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vJ3AT.jpg

I think it's safe to assume this won't be a regular magical girl show , then ...

Very nice Opening ... it would be cool if toei release an Oav of this story ..
Animation is also well done ... i wonder if this game play better than the first Dx precure on Nintendo Ds ???

Lain

Horizon S2 EP 4

Good setup for what I hope will be a funny, interesting and big battle next episode.
Tori Aoi keeps going around naked and that's so dumb I can't help but laugh.
There were a few things I completely loved: the crow cannibalism remark and the girls' bath time, since one of them
was drawing/writing a doujin or something while relaxing in there, using the others as material.

Horizon S2 EP 4

Good setup for what I hope will be a funny, interesting and big battle next episode.
Tori Aoi keeps going around naked and that's so dumb I can't help but laugh.
There were a few things I completely loved: the crow cannibalism remark and the girls' bath time, since one of them
was drawing/writing a doujin or something while relaxing in there, using the others as material.

Funny to note that some doujin artists/circle have released their version of her works.. at C81..can't wait to see what they will provide for C82

Well I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this thread.
you're reminding me that i need to finish that MAL thing ... L letter here i come !!!

This is great ... Kill me baby had nice puns overall and i liked it

Well I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this thread.

Team Kill me Baby!

Though I just saw it for Agiri. Ai Takabe was a great VA (and one of the few really great looking VAs).

Sometimes your posts confuse me. Prisma Illya seems like the kind of thing you would like. You're the guy who got me to watch Agent Aika IIRC.

huh? Why should I like it? I have read the first chapters and it was bad.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Genshiken 2 9

Well that was a rather somber episode. Who knew being an otaku meant suffering? It looks like Sasahara is falling in love with Ogiue, which doesn't bode well with my OhnxOgi pairing...

I have not watched this show yet. Your impressions have shown me that I must remedy this as soon as possible.

Yuri anime is best anime gtfo
Opinion is opinion

On that topic, the only good yuri anime I've seen is Strawberry Panic, anyone have something similar to suggest???

So... Is your avatar a fraud?

Yuru Yuri is awesome, but it's more of a comedy with yuri elements thrown in it imo

Edit: I wouldn't compare it to Strawberry Panic as it deals with total yuri romance whilst the other uses it for comedy but never builds on it (atleast not shown as of yet).

Firemind

Wut? How am I supposed to watch them? No one ever told me anything about this.

Most people will tell you to watch the broadcast order, but it doesn't really matter since the arcs are pretty self-contained. I suppose the ending in the broadcast order is more epic, but the other ending isn't bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom