• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people will tell you to watch the broadcast order, but it doesn't really matter since the arcs are pretty self-contained. I suppose the ending in the broadcast order is more epic, but the other ending isn't bad at all.

This thing is so confusing lol, guess I'll watch the broadcast. Is this the chronological order: 2, 3, 5,10, 13, 14, 4, 7, 6, 8, 1, 12, 11, 9?

This thing is so confusing lol, guess I'll watch the broadcast. Is this the chronological order: 2, 3, 5,10, 13, 14, 4, 7, 6, 8, 1, 12, 11, 9?

Code:
Achronological (Recommended):
1. Adventures of Mikuru Ashahina
2. Melancholy I
3. Melancholy II
4. Boredom
5. Melancholy III
6. Remote Island Syndrome I
7. Mysterique Sign
8. Remote Island Syndrome II
9. Someday in the Rain
10. Melancholy IV
11. Day of Sagittarius
12. Live Alive
13. Melancholy V
14. Melancholy VI

Chronological Season 1 Only:
1. Melancholy I
2. Melancholy II
3. Melancholy III
4. Melancholy IV
5. Melancholy V
6. Melancholy VI
7. Boredom
8. Mysterique Sign
9. Remote Island Syndrome I
10. Remote Island Syndrome II
11. Adventures of Mikuru Ashahina
12. Live Alive
13. Day of Sagittarius
14. Someday in the Rain

Wut? How am I supposed to watch them? No one ever told me anything about this.

There's just two ways to watch it.

Broadcast order which is how the first season was originally shown. It gives more of a thrilling adventure going the way through, but might get confusing since things are shown out of order and this doesn't apply to season 2.

Chronological order is how the show is supposed to go. It isn't bad, just some things are much more dragged out but does give more of a completed feeling.

No idea what to suggest, since I watched it both ways.:p

I guess if you want to not worry about it and want to only watch it once, chronological order will be less chaotic and troublesome.

Ultimadrago

Wow, I have a lot of catching-up to do.

G63QL.jpg

Welcome back home, my son.

Theonik

Yuru Yuri is awesome, but it's more of a comedy with yuri elements thrown in it imo

Edit: I wouldn't compare it to Strawberry Panic as it deals with total yuri romance whilst the other uses it for comedy but never builds on it (atleast not shown as of yet).
While I agree the shows are obviously different, using the Yuri as a comedic element doesn't mean it suddenly isn't Yuri, just that it uses Yuri romance in that way!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Team Kill me Baby!

Though I just saw it for Agiri. Ai Takabe was a great VA (and one of the few really great looking VAs).

If there was one thing KMB had going for it it was the VA work.
And the OP
and the ED
and the OST
and the animation
and the jokes

I come in here and see Genshiken talk? *wipes tear from eye*

still peeved they didn't animate the rest of the manga though (this is not including the relaunch either)

cajunator

Banned
Mutta is easily one of the best protags in anime ever.

Hmmm. Possibly. He' a pretty good one. You always want to root for him.

It's SHAFT.

Oh yes it is! The long awaited return!

Post ittttttttt~!

Here it is.

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya will destroy everything again

It is likely, but there's a chance it wont. I REALLY don't like the character design in this though.

Texhnolyze 5

This dude is seriously Caim. Appearance, mannerisms, attitude, everything.

Cyborg Freddie Mercury, on the other hand, is not quite as similar to his namesake. Sure he's got going for him, but that last scene was colder than ice. I'm really curious where his story is headed.

smh. So much ignorance.

The best Freddie Mercury is in Cromartie High School. Its true.

I hope Thoraxes is getting that link ready.

I saw this coming a thousand miles away. to say his link is astounding is an understatement. Its also not safe for work, not safe for home or safe for life.

According to the C82 booth listing, the name for the new Shaft show is apparently "Magical Suite Prism Nana".

Well, I guess the すいーと could be "sweet" instead. No way to tell from just the kana, is there?

Nice! I appreciate actually getting the name of something instead of a random PV link or whatever.

This picture is freaking hilarious.

Also he probably put himself on some kind of list he doesnt want to be put on. Still its better than recreating the events from Eden of the East.

Eden of the East had the most random beginning. And yes I hope no one ever does that or they will be put in a much worse place than a list.

They Were Eleven or Jūichinin Iru!

They_Were_11_DVD_cover.jpg

While I was very much aware of this films existence I had never actually seen it before, just as I'm aware of Akira but don't recall having seen it. With it's somewhat recent mention in the currently airing show Hyouka, which I'm enjoying, I became interested enough in it to give it a watch.

Despite knowing of it, I didn't actually know anything about it. This was a complete blind watch for me so I'm not sure actually how much to even say as some minor things might be considered spoilers to some. For example, I didn't even know the genre was
a mystery. Although I suppose that is also possibly why it was tied in with Hyouka
Therefore I'm going to try and state some of my thoughts but try and also keep it as vague as possible. I'll still label the more obvious spoilers regarding the film.

Personally I thought this was a good film and wish I had actually seen it earlier. Some elements might come across as a bit cliche now such as a the general idea of a group of strangers having to work together in an isolated location and learning to get along and trust each other through some hardship. I suppose it depends on how many similar themed stories you've personally seen.

Some of the moments where perhaps a bit of science was involved might have been a bit off such as
the explosions sending them into and out of their orbit and the temperature cool down at the end was quite fast
but I'll let it slide. People often mention there is no sound in space but watching a space battle in a science fiction movie suddenly turn mute or silent film style every time wouldn't be as entertaining. Also having to wait for time delays in interstellar communication would also cause some pacing problems, so in the interest of practicality and enjoyment I give those moments a pass.

The quote on the box that says "engaging" I initially though was somewhat simplistic and kind of pointless but now after watching the film that's actually how I would probably describe the movie as well with it's plot twists and revelations. Unfortunately only about half the crew is really focused on and I found this not only makes those not focused on less interesting but with the plot of
the eleventh person it makes you suspect more those that are focused on compared to the others that have no story. It made me wish they did flesh out the other characters more to at least maybe make you perhaps have to guess a bit more regarding this mystery.

A scene somewhat partway through the film involving a character initially came across as a forced bit of fan service, much like many anime shows today, but the details about this characters gender and the revelations that came with that I found really interesting actually. I don''t think I've ever seen a film discuss the subject exactly as They were Eleven does. A certain critical scene later in the movie and the characters decision at the end were also pretty interestingly handled. I found this character became a much more interesting person and previous actions came a bit more into light and didn't carry the initially obvious message as I thought they did.

As much as I mentioned about the story being engaging I'm not sure how it will hold up on a second or multiple viewing because of the genre and setup.
Many of the plot twists and revelations happen either more abruptly or aren't very subtle with the clues leading up to them, at least I didn't think they were subtle or things that one could really miss anyway.

Lastly, as expected with Mayaka being in the Manga club and referring to the manga, she is dressed as Frol appears in the manga and not her dress style of the anime film.

There's more that can be covered but I feel I've gone on long enough to end it here and would personally recommend people give this a watch. If you've read all of this then thanks for your time as I know it was perhaps a long read.

If this is a lengthy post, then the internet has become very very lazy. thats a good review Nafe. I've heard of it before but never really thought to check it out.

I have not watched this show yet. Your impressions have shown me that I must remedy this as soon as possible.

YES. Start at Genshiken and work your way to Genshiken 2. I still have a Tshirt from the boxset that I wear sometimes :D It says " Otaku shop for Dojin"

Wow, I have a lot of catching-up to do.

WELCOME BACK! Beware the netti pots!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Welcome back home, my son.

Whew, for a few days I thought that I was headed for the Pumpkin Dimension.

Aw, welcome back!

No need to catch up, just start fresh. :3

I'd probably just spoil myself on the previous two weeks of anime anyway if I tried to catch up, hahahah. Is there any news that I should know about? Anyone get banned?

WELCOME BACK! Beware the netti pots!

hahahah, so you discovered the origin of my absence did you?

Long story short, I had terrible stress building up for months and I had a hypochondriac episode that triggered a panic attack that I couldn't shut off for two weeks. MP was too busy trying to gather his marbles to watch anime or have any fun in general. I'll probably be okay now, though if I disappear again it may mean that there's been a death of someone very close to me that I've been dreading for a while and some of you know about.

cajunator

Banned
YESSS, Cajun, so cute! haha, we both drew girls dropping shit.

Okay, let me upload...

Should I post mine as an image, or link it D: I kinda wanna post it, There isn't any nudity or sex (I know, I tried hard..) but a little bit of butt showing. Should be safe, right?

I went ahead and posted mine so just put it in quote tags and it shows up smaller.

cajunator

Banned
Whew, for a few days I thought that I was headed for the Pumpkin Dimension.

I'd probably just spoil myself on the previous two weeks of anime anyway if I tried to catch up, hahahah. Is there any news that I should know about? Anyone get banned?

hahahah, so you discovered the origin of my absence did you?

Long story short, I had terrible stress building up for months and I had a hypochondriac episode that triggered a panic attack that I couldn't shut off for two weeks. MP was too busy trying to gather his marbles to watch anime or have any fun in general. I'll probably be okay now, though if I disappear again it may mean that there's been a death of someone very close to me that I've been dreading for a while and some of you know about.

I'm really sorry to hear that dude. I think I know who you are referring to and if you need any support I will be happy to help however I can.
Its good to hear back from you. You definitely don't want my job because it would probably drive you bonkers.

They Were Eleven

I've been wanting to check this film out for a long time, and Mayaka's cosplay (sorry, Mayaka) in the current festival arc of Hyouka gave me the push I needed to do so. The premise is very intriguing, and set up well in the opening minutes: After a few paragraphs of text explaning the intergalactic setting, we follow our main character, Tada, as he finishes the last preliminary round of entrance exams for the Space Academy. As he waits with the others who have passed to the final round, all wearing spacesuits keeping their identities secret from each other, we get a nice flashback explaining his motivation for wanting to enter the Academy. Finally, he is called with 9 others and directed to the abandoned spaceship, where they will need to survive 53 days in order to pass and be accepted. But upon entering the airlock of the spaceship, they are shocked to discover that, as the title card helpfully informs us, They Were 11! Who is the extra person? Why are they there? Why was the ship they're on abandoned? The swirling air of mystery and intrigue is captivating.

Unfortunately, after the initial setup, things start getting problematic. In having to cover 53 days on board the ship, the pacing gets a little wonky. Time passes unevenly, moving between incidents that something feel disconnected from each other, and some large gaps in which it is difficult to believe that nothing changed between the characters. Although the long length of time the 11 have to spend on the ship forms part of the tension of the premise, I feel the narrative construction would have benefited from compacting the amount of time covered.

Still, I was on board with the film for a good while. The mysteries set up around a few of the characters, most notably Tada and Frol, were engaging and I eagerly looked forward to how they would resolve. Then a shockingly out-of-place scene happened. It dedicates itself to building a steadily escalating atmosphere of tension when out of nowhere the heat causes everyone to spontaneously burst into a food fight in the cafeteria. A cheesy pop song kicks on, and everything achieved up to then goes up in smoke as the pies fly. When it's over and the film immediately goes back to the paranoia in an attempted climax, it is impossible to take seriously. I assume this scene was put in for comic relief, but as is usually the case it was ill-advised. If in a generally serious narrative you can single out a situation or character as clear comic relief, it will likely be the narrative's biggest problem.

That is not actually the case here, as the biggest problem with the film is its ending. There are three primary missteps it makes that cause it to fall flat. First, it lets down the energy too soon. Several plot threads gradually build to a big showdown, but there is still a good bit of film after they wrap up, and the actual conclusion (
the vaccine not working on Frol and the scramble button being pushed as a result
) feels like an afterthought. Second, the resolution of the central mystery is underwhelming.
The reveal of the eleventh person is perhaps the least satisfying way it could have been done. It turns out that it was just some random background character who was an instructor from the Academy testing the genuine applicants - the sort of thing you would have anticipated from the start if you hadn't been highly encouraged to think otherwise. I'll have to rewatch to see if there were any clues as to the eleventh's identity, but as far as I can tell there are none; it feels like they could have picked almost anyone and it would have worked just as well. That is a terrible way to write a mystery.
Thirdly, I was very disappointed by where Frol's subplot went.
It's been established through most of the film how much Frol wants to become a man, due to the relative worth of the two genders in Frol's culture. It's actually a fairly interesting take on gender issues. The ending throws that all away for a traditional "good guy gets the girl" romantic ending, where Frol is readily willing to become a woman so she can live happily ever after with Tada. This decision is both inconsistent with Frol's character as previously established but also conventionalizes an unconventional situation in a very disappointing manner.
In the end, it's a big cop-out.

The production values in general are similarly underwhelming - the level of animation, art and direction on display is not really movie level, more like a TV special. One visual aspect I do want to compliment, though, is the character designs. They are all extremely distinctive and unique, so that even though a lot of characters don't really get fleshed out, you feel like you have a sense of their personalty just by looking at them.

So was this worth watching? I'm not sure. It does have a certain amount of historical interest, as it is the only anime to be adapted from the works of legendary shoujo manga artist Moto Hagio, one of the founders of the field. I should say that, for all my issues, there was one particular plot thread surrounding Tada which I found particularly satisfying. In the end, though, I feel it doesn't live up to its promise and I would not recommend it.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket 3

After the meh first episode, I am loving this show now.
Dub isn't bad, David Hayter & Wendee Lee are pretty good in it.
Wish I didn't only have 3 more episodes to watch.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm really sorry to hear that dude. I think I know who you are referring to and if you need any support I will be happy to help however I can.
Its good to hear back from you. You definitely don't want my job because it would probably drive you bonkers.

I dunno, a job probably would have kept me feeling well. A lot of my deteriorating psychological state over the past couple of years has a lot to do with my joblessness and fear for my own future, so I would take on just about anything at this point.

Thanks for the support, though, dude. It's almost certainly going to happen before the year is through, and as it gets closer to being a reality, I've just had some lapses in my stoicism as happened in the past couple of weeks.

Oh, the lame clown boss from Bebop the Cowboy.

Remember, very soon, I'm only going to be two states away from you.

No idea really. Haven't you heard, everyone is either hating or watching the Olympics!

Oh, right. I sure liked it when that guy did that thing better than the other guys and won the medal. Classic sports moment.

I swear, if Smile Precure gets preempted for any of this...

Start with Getter Robo Armageddon for grzi's sake lest you be labelled oathbreaker!

It shall be done!

Very sorry to hear about that. I can partially sympathize, but it sounds like a more intense experience than anything I've been though, and I can't imagine how scary it must have been. May you have a full recovery and continued health, as much as is possible.

Toriko 64
tumblr_m81p6vInWL1qjd0xwo1_500.png

Mellow Cola arc has just shot up to being a really memorable and shocking arc. Wow. Komatsu was at his best, as was Toriko and Zebra. Not any dull moment in this at all. Shocking moment
when Komatsu got stabbed, what even, that was just plain intense and then Zebra and Toriko being powered up by it. Really need the next episode now, as I wanna know how they take that thing down and save Komatsu

cajunator

Banned
Here ya go Cajun, it's a weird drawing:

Hope you dig, just don't ask me what's going on xD except that a bunch of hands are fuckin up her shit. It's cuter when they're about to cry :D

Your art is amazing.
Especially drawing hands, which I fuck up way more than I get right. One of the most difficult things to get correctly. dunno if Gaf considers that NSFW or not but you may want to just text link it, just in case. I already saved it though :D

Lurky

Hope you dig, just don't ask me what's going on xD except that a bunch of hands are fuckin up her shit. It's cuter when they're about to cry :D

Wow that looks like it came straight from a mangaka or whatever they're called.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Your sense of anatomy is stellar dude. I have much work ahead of me. ;_;

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Very sorry to hear about that. I can partially sympathize, but it sounds like a more intense experience than anything I've been though, and I can't imagine how scary it must have been. May you have a full recovery and continued health, as much as is possible.

Thanks for your support, man, and I'm glad to see you back in the thread. I think I needed this experience to steel myself for what's to come, and I just hope to be able to handle it with composure when it comes about. I know that we're not usually open about our personal lives in this thread, but we really are a community here and we should all feel comfortable seeking support when we feel that we need it.

Oathbreakers are the worst!

They're almost as bad as "beaters"!

I may be back, but I'm suddenly very afraid to catch up on anything currently-airing.

I seriously considered evolving to monocle during my time away (sappy revelation about how my time is precious etc etc.), but I just don't think I'm made for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom