• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

I seriously considered evolving to monocle during my time away (sappy revelation about how my time is precious etc etc.), but I just don't think I'm made for it.

Naw, you don't need to change your disposition here. I like you as a "Monostache"!

Yes, I made that class title up myself.

I may be back, but I'm suddenly very afraid to catch up on anything currently-airing.

I seriously considered evolving to monocle during my time away (sappy revelation about how my time is precious etc etc.), but I just don't think I'm made for it.

Might be easier to toss everything potential into backlog and watch old stuff.

Of course, you have to catch up with Sengoku Collection whenever you get the chance.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon S 104

sFDR2.jpg

best villain, and he hasn't even done anytthing yet

Half of this was a standard
Chibiusa x Usagi routine, and the other half was absolutely hilarious, stand out points being the tea ceremony, Chibiusa's fight, and the Sailor Bishounen.

The great faces have been missing from the past few episodes, for which I blame Haruka and Michiru, but they were back in spades this episode.

linking some pics because Hitokage still hasn't gotten back to me

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Naw, you don't need to change your disposition here. I like you as a "Monostache"!

Yes, I made that class title up myself.

hahahahah, what does that even entail? Does it just mean that I have broad tastes but can still critically analyze what I watch or something?

Might be easier to toss everything potential into backlog and watch old stuff.

Of course, you have to catch up with Sengoku Collection whenever you get the chance.

At least hit me with the straight dope: did Jinrui crash and burn yet?

And does that mean that episode sixteen of Sengoku Collection was a Kaneko episode? :eek: Or was it just superbly terrible?

Ultimadrago

You bet he does, Dakku!

Come on Mad P, we left your Sengoku seat warm.

Hehehe

hahahahah, what does that even entail? Does it just mean that I have broad tastes but can still critically analyze what I watch or something?

And does that mean that episode sixteen of Sengoku Collection was a Kaneko episode? :eek: Or was it just superbly terrible?

1. Yeah, somethin' like that!

2. The Jinrui we knew for the first two episodes is, sadly, not here right now.

3. Sengoku Collection 16 was a very uninteresting and dull experience.

I'm still enjoying Jinrui. It hasn't fallen off a cliff like Sankarea but hasn't been that great.

It wasn't episode sixteen but seventeen that did what you predicted back in Spring. :p

Genshiken 2 10
H9Dj5.png

After playing hentai games with her boyfriend, Ohno is now a love guru.
Go home already Mudarame. Thank god they subtitled the English, 'cause that is some of the worst Engrish. They probably would have been better off if they just pulled an American tourist off the street to do Angela's voice. Ohno's English was bad too, but at least she's not supposed to be from America...
Or maybe the Engrish is the best part of this episode. Nah.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnfb8dZXyo1qzytp4.gif

WELCOME BACK!

All this love, man. I can feel it right here.

1. Yeah, somethin' like that!

2. The Jinrui we knew for the first two episodes is, sadly, not here right now.

3. Sengoku Collection 16 was a very uninteresting and dull experience.

1. Surely there has to be some kind of Victorian representation of refinement we can confer here. What's fancier than a moustache, but not as fancy as a monocle?

2. Fuck.

3. Disappointment but will watch anyway.

I see what you did there.

State a fact in plain language?

Edit: wait, this must involve some plot point from the last episode or two of Jinrui. Somebody experiences a Disney Death?

I believe duckroll said that 19 is the next Kaneko episode of Sengoku Collection. Hopefully he brings his patented brand of insanity and creates another enjoyable concoction.

Hype hype. Part of me wants SAMURAI FOR MURDER III, but ultimately I'd rather see him take the episode in yet another new direction.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Watch in this order
My Conquest is the Sea of stars MOVIE
Overture to a new war MOVIE
Main OVA

The other 2 OVAs like "A Hundred billion Stars, a hundred billion lights" are prequels, watch them after the main OVA.

Its up to you if you wanna watch Golden Wings, its a misstep in the LoGH franchise.

LoGH=greatest story ever. Be prepared for intelligent conversations and concentrate, its a show with a lot of characters and backstory, don't expect it to be a Gundam with lots of action.
The action is has is decent, it's just mostly hand to hand. Space tactics not so much action.

Star Driver 13

Good conclusion to 1st of the two 13 episode blu ray sets. Bandai did a good job with the release here and its really quality subs, visuals, and sound. I didnt check the extras often I never play them.

Anime is definitely in my top 20 and probably already a 9/10 or 10/10 depending on really how I feel about the direction of the remaining episodes. I think Takuto and Sugata and head overshadow the underling members of the Kiraboshi just enough to make me look past their designs and actually really enjoy it all. Tauburn is awesome as well as the swords Emeraud and Saffir and all scenes are good. The schools scenes are great too. I wish we had more of Takuto at the dorm and at Saguta's house as they led to comedy especially in the bath. Takuto has been really amazing and Sugata too and I hope that school play thing delivers well.

Ultimadrago

I believe duckroll said that 19 is the next Kaneko episode of Sengoku Collection. Hopefully he brings his patented brand of insanity and creates another enjoyable concoction.

It's the potential break from the usual that would be quite appreciated again.

1. Surely there has to be some kind of Victorian representation of refinement we can confer here. What's fancier than a moustache, but not as fancy as a monocle?

You just wiped your shoes on the rug and are already spouting riddles.

I cannot say. All I know is I seek a greater challenge now!

Narag, the Ryu (Street Fighter) of AnimeGAF.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I cannot say. All I know is I seek a greater challenge now!

We need to watch something truly abysmal together. If we could get wonzo in on it, I'd recommend something like Touka Gettan.

You just got here and you're already spouting riddles.

What walks on four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon, seven legs at tea time, hops on a pogo stick at five, handstands at 7:15, goes back to two legs at 7:16 because handstanding is really fuckin' hard, six and a half legs at eight, and three legs until it's time for bed?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The episodes are on my waiting pile .i still haven't seen them AND a friend summarized this by " big breasts " but i'm unsure if he was joking or not.

Proceed Y/N ?

fuck no x1000000000000

it's the most aesthetically repugnant thing in the universe unless you have severe dysmorphic issues in how you perceive the human form.

Nah, more like it slowed to a stop and is just sort of sitting there. Not parked, but not evidently moving forward, either.

Still probably show of the season due to the lack of competition, but I still can't say that I'm encouraged by this.

Ultimadrago

The episodes are on my waiting pile .i still haven't seen them AND a friend summarized this by " big breasts " but i'm unsure if he was joking or not.

Proceed Y/N ?

Your friend's brief summary is apt. If that's all the information you need, then you know your answer.

If you want to watch a "good" show? No.

Nafe

Emunoz & I came up with a list once, though most of it escapes me right now. Like, birds & absentee parents are a big motif in both, things like that.

The first connection I ever remember making besides apples (and the one that seems most obvious now) was
hair color; Kanba = Campanella, Shouma = Giovanni. (Also, I'm pretty sure this association applies to Touga in Adolescence Apocalypse.)

Ok, I see, things of that nature. I'll have to keep this in mind when next watching Mawaru Penguindrum whenever that will be.

If this is a lengthy post, then the internet has become very very lazy. thats a good review Nafe. I've heard of it before but never really thought to check it out.

True. Posts appear longer when you're typing them up than when you see the final result.
Personally I think people should take a look at the film perhaps at least once.

Long story short, I had terrible stress building up for months and I had a hypochondriac episode that triggered a panic attack that I couldn't shut off for two weeks. MP was too busy trying to gather his marbles to watch anime or have any fun in general. I'll probably be okay now, though if I disappear again it may mean that there's been a death of someone very close to me that I've been dreading for a while and some of you know about.

おかえりなさい. For what it's worth from someone you don't know too well, I too hope your personal situation and health get better soon. :)

They Were Eleven
Unfortunately, after the initial setup, things start getting problematic. In having to cover 53 days on board the ship, the pacing gets a little wonky. Time passes unevenly, moving between incidents that something feel disconnected from each other, and some large gaps in which it is difficult to believe that nothing changed between the characters. Although the long length of time the 11 have to spend on the ship forms part of the tension of the premise, I feel the narrative construction would have benefited from compacting the amount of time covered.

Welcome back to you to hosannainexcelsis. I just watched the film as well as you maybe saw. From the angle of watching the movie itself I found the film mostly moves at a nice pace however from a narrative standpoint I agree that some of the times skips do make for an odd sense of pace at points.

Still, I was on board with the film for a good while. The mysteries set up around a few of the characters, most notably Tada and Frol, were engaging and I eagerly looked forward to how they would resolve. Then a shockingly out-of-place scene happened. It dedicates itself to building a steadily escalating atmosphere of tension when out of nowhere the heat causes everyone to spontaneously burst into a food fight in the cafeteria. A cheesy pop song kicks on, and everything achieved up to then goes up in smoke as the pies fly. When it's over and the film immediately goes back to the paranoia in an attempted climax, it is impossible to take seriously. I assume this scene was put in for comic relief, but as is usually the case it was ill-advised. If in a generally serious narrative you can single out a situation or character as clear comic relief, it will likely be the narrative's biggest problem.

Indeed, I agree that the sudden change in tone here makes for an odd contrast in mood. It does seem that it was intended to be a comic relief moment for the characters to let off some steam or to show that even amongst all the tension the crew still have a light natured side to them. It's implementation combined with the music and turn back to the more serious tone immediately afterwards is a bit jarring though.

That is not actually the case here, as the biggest problem with the film is its ending. There are three primary missteps it makes that cause it to fall flat. First, it lets down the energy too soon. Several plot threads gradually build to a big showdown, but there is still a good bit of film after they wrap up, and the actual conclusion (
the vaccine not working on Frol and the scramble button being pushed as a result
) feels like an afterthought. Second, the resolution of the central mystery is underwhelming.
The reveal of the eleventh person is perhaps the least satisfying way it could have been done. It turns out that it was just some random background character who was an instructor from the Academy testing the genuine applicants - the sort of thing you would have anticipated from the start if you hadn't been highly encouraged to think otherwise. I'll have to rewatch to see if there were any clues as to the eleventh's identity, but as far as I can tell there are none; it feels like they could have picked almost anyone and it would have worked just as well. That is a terrible way to write a mystery.
Thirdly, I was very disappointed by where Frol's subplot went.
It's been established through most of the film how much Frol wants to become a man, due to the relative worth of the two genders in Frol's culture. It's actually a fairly interesting take on gender issues. The ending throws that all away for a traditional "good guy gets the girl" romantic ending, where Frol is readily willing to become a woman so she can live happily ever after with Tada. This decision is both inconsistent with Frol's character as previously established but also conventionalizes an unconventional situation in a very disappointing manner.
In the end, it's a big cop-out.

In regards to the first spoiler
I'm not sure I agree that it seemed like an afterthought as the scramble button was always there and mentioned a few times,even more with just some of the camera work, I believe, as Tada was running around the ship. Although I suppose I agree with the vaccine not working and how the button was ultimately used seemed unsatisfying.

In regards to the second spoiler
I agree completely with you here, that the big reveal felt obvious to me that it was most likely an instructor and they simply tried to throw in a red haring. I mentioned it would have been nice to have some of the characters fleshed out a bit more because it really did feel it could have been any number of the characters with no change really to the final product. This was one of the big disappointments I had with the film. The way they killed him off rather unceremoniously in the credit sequence came across as a little awkwardly to me as well.

In regards to the third spoiler
I found the gender issues with Frol really interesting as well and was also initially felt really let down with the ending where it just seemed to be a typical guy gets the girl story. I thought afterwords though that maybe by passing the test she did prove herself capable especially when you consider the 0.1% and 3% success rate numbers mentioned at the beginning.

The post credit scene mentioned that Frol and Tada completed pilot training together so I saw them represented perhaps as equals and in the end maybe it wasn't so much about gender and her planets views on it but also more about the self and choices made and in proving him/herself in some ways it maybe didn't matter whether Frol became a male or female in the end. Although with all that said I do still feel disappointed and maybe it's just a long winded way of justifying it.

The production values in general are similarly underwhelming - the level of animation, art and direction on display is not really movie level, more like a TV special. One visual aspect I do want to compliment, though, is the character designs. They are all extremely distinctive and unique, so that even though a lot of characters don't really get fleshed out, you feel like you have a sense of their personalty just by looking at them.

While I liked the character designs, personally I felt for characters that were supposed to be coming from different regions of space that many of them felt too human like and wished they seemed a bit different in appearance.

So was this worth watching? I'm not sure. It does have a certain amount of historical interest, as it is the only anime to be adapted from the works of legendary shoujo manga artist Moto Hagio, one of the founders of the field. I should say that, for all my issues, there was one particular plot thread surrounding Tada which I found particularly satisfying. In the end, though, I feel it doesn't live up to its promise and I would not recommend it.

Personally for some of the issues it has I like it enough that I think people should maybe watch the film at least once.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Proceed Y/N ?

That pretty much sums it up.

I respect the sound effects they made for them though.

wonzo

Banned
Welcome back Mad Pierrot and hosannainexcelsis!

It's a masterpiece. Watch it and the movie!

Gainax certainly gave up on that after Honneamise.

Which everyone should watch BTW.
Yeah, it's Gainax's best work so everyone should see it.

If you don't watch Endless Eight to the power of eight you're doing it wrong.
realtalk

Yuri anime is best anime gtfo
Opinion is opinion

On that topic, the only good yuri anime I've seen is Strawberry Panic, anyone have something similar to suggest???
Sweet Blue Flowers is as good as it's gonna get.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You know Nobuna will the show of the season.

This is entirely dependent upon whether or not it ends in a historically-accurate manner with
Akechi Mitsuhide killing Nobuna at Honnouji in the final episode

おかえりなさい. For what it's worth from someone you don't know too well, I too hope your personal situation and health get better soon. :)

Thanks! Your good will is what I need most right now, getting to know you will eventually follow.

Proceed with caution, my friend.

fuck no x1000000000000

it's the most aesthetically repugnant thing in the universe unless you have severe dysmorphic issues in how you perceive the human form.

Still probably show of the season due to the lack of competition, but I still can't say that I'm encouraged by this.

Your friend's brief summary is apt. If that's all the information you need, then you know your answer.

If you want to watch a "good" show? No.

I see ..this show will stay in his position in my waitinglist then ..
Intresting to see such reactions so fast ...Will post impressions if the day i watch this comes....

Ultimadrago

Not sure if you're serious, but I'll spoiler it anyway :p

Your sarcasm detector seems to have gotten sick as well!

=====

I'm not watching Nobuna. I was actually awaiting some of your eventual impressions on it to
see if it was entertaining or hilariously awful enough to be worth a go.

They Were Eleven or Jūichinin Iru!
I'm glad you liked it! My viewing experience was fairly similar: I saw it on amazon for cheap, premise sounded interesting, and I bought it.

I think you and I shared much of our views on what suffered in the movie. I think it would have been to the material's benefit were it a 6 episode OVA or even just a slightly longer film in order to properly build and handle some of the content better. It felt like they had to rush too many things that should have been given more time to properly establish and work towards. Also, echoing your sentiment on fleshing out some of the other crew members
would have gone a long way in making the "who is the eleventh?" thing much more tense. It wasn't terrible, since a lot of the side characters were generally present and spoke or had some sort of defining action/behavior, but it would have gone a long way if it were more balanced. Then again, I felt the characters that were in the spotlight more were given pretty solid parts, so I can't complain too much.

In regards to characters, how exactly did you feel about
Frol at the end? Your impressions seemed generally positive, but I'm curious if you wouldn't mind possibly elaborating. Personally, I felt somewhat upset at Frol's choice to suddenly forsake this dream to become a male that had been the one thing on the character's mind for so long. My one conceit was that it would be somewhat believable that the attraction and relationship between Frol and Tada over the course of the entire exercise, but that was one of the things I would have liked to have benefited from the aforementioned extra time. Even now, I'm still somewhat mixed on my feelings for the decision, but it could have easily been handled far worse. It just bugged me that it played out the way it did when it could have been much more.

edit: Oh my, another They Were Eleven post. So many elevens!

cajunator

Banned
So, have you ascended or fallen?

I'm pretty sure he ascended. Narag is a BEAST. I bow down to his ability to absorb massive lethal doses of garbage and still manage to survive.

We need to watch something truly abysmal together. If we could get wonzo in on it, I'd recommend something like Touka Gettan.

What walks on four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon, seven legs at tea time, hops on a pogo stick at five, handstands at 7:15, goes back to two legs at 7:16 because handstanding is really fuckin' hard, six and a half legs at eight, and three legs until it's time for bed?

Oh I know! its a human! a human that lives in chernobyl and is high on bath salts!

Are we having art duels in this thread

are there people for me to duel

More like an art trade between me and Extollere.
We ended up drawing nearly the same thing lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom