• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
They Were Eleven
It seems most of the things you took issue with were the same as mine. I'm glad you brought up the
food fight
scene, as I forgot about it after the months. It was completely misplaced, and I think the film would have greatly been improved had that time been spent elsewhere. Your calling it out on killing the atmosphere was spot on.

More than anything, I'm glad your feelings on how they handled
Frol were similar to my own. I was thinking perhaps it was just something I was being nit-picky about, but I'm glad to have my mind put at ease, haha.

Nafe

Thanks! Your good will is what I need most right now, getting to know you will eventually follow.

In regards to your post about be worried about someone close to you passing away I just had a family member pass away Monday morning. I wasn't really that close or saw them that often though so it sounds like you have it worse off. I won't be around for a bit of Friday due to funeral services.

Also, more generally, MPD & NOTGR come to a similar thematic conclusion -
on the subjects of selflessness, love, and what constitutes true happiness
- in spite of taking wildly different routes to get there.

I remember reading a blog post a while back that summed it up succinctly:

Thanks for that blog post, I'll have to look into it in more detail later. Indeed, sometimes how a story is told or its conclusion reached can be really interesting, no matter how simple or cliche the theme may seem.

I'm glad you liked it! My viewing experience was fairly similar: I saw it on amazon for cheap, premise sounded interesting, and I bought it.

I think you and I shared much of our views on what suffered in the movie. I think it would have been to the material's benefit were it a 6 episode OVA or even just a slightly longer film in order to properly build and handle some of the content better. It felt like they had to rush too many things that should have been given more time to properly establish and work towards. Also, echoing your sentiment on fleshing out some of the other crew members
would have gone a long way in making the "who is the eleventh?" thing much more tense. It wasn't terrible, since a lot of the side characters were generally present and spoke or had some sort of defining action/behavior, but it would have gone a long way if it were more balanced. Then again, I felt the characters that were in the spotlight more were given pretty solid parts, so I can't complain too much.

In regards to characters, how exactly did you feel about
Frol at the end? Your impressions seemed generally positive, but I'm curious if you wouldn't mind possibly elaborating. Personally, I felt somewhat upset at Frol's choice to suddenly forsake this dream to become a male that had been the one thing on the character's mind for so long. My one conceit was that it would be somewhat believable that the attraction and relationship between Frol and Tada over the course of the entire exercise, but that was one of the things I would have liked to have benefited from the aforementioned extra time. Even now, I'm still somewhat mixed on my feelings for the decision, but it could have easily been handled far worse. It just bugged me that it played out the way it did when it could have been much more.

edit: Oh my, another They Were Eleven post. So many elevens!

I'll have to direct you to hosannainexcelsis's and my follow up post ealier on the page to address some of these, then we can discuss the film some more.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Whoo! now I have room to put all my anime stuff! :D

It might just be a premonition but you might not be in any shape to continue consuming visual media after you become King.

In regards to your post about be worried about someone close to you passing away I just had a family member pass away Monday morning. I wasn't really that close or saw them that often though so it sounds like you have it worse off. I won't be around for a bit of Friday due to funeral services.

Well, I'm still sorry to hear that you lost someone. Any death is a human tragedy.

Wait, are you being serious or joking around? I cannot tell. I've been wanting to watch something from the summer season. Is Nobuna actually worth watching?

When people compliment Nobuna, it's mostly because it's good for what it is, but not what you'd actually call "good".

Summer is ending up pretty dismal on the whole but you may enjoy Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Joshiraku, Tari Tari, or Bimbougami ga!, which are the only shows with any redeeming qualities.

I call the position of king's hand!

hahahahah, Ancient Greece makes Westeros look like Disneyland.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sora no Woto - 04

QTgvJ.png

QAwVn.png

Noel is adorable. KanataxNoel is my fallback pairing if KanataxRio doesn't pick up steam. Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I love the environment and the music in this show.

Wait, are you being serious or joking around? I cannot tell. I've been wanting to watch something from the summer season. Is Nobuna actually worth watching?

I have found it to be much more enjoyable than what the synopsis says about it. There's more action than expected and the harem antics is pretty tame compared to other series.

It does help to like Sengoku junk.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ancient Greece is the only civilization to have been graced TWICE with an incarnation of El Cantare so it's clearly superior to Rome.

Nafe

Well, I'm still sorry to hear that you lost someone. Any death is a human tragedy.

Thank you. To try and cheer you up from this topic here's something Chickdigger posted earlier that might make you Ultra Happy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzMm6dsq7nQ&feature=youtu.be

That's what I get for quoting something and leaving the window open for too long, haha

No problem. This thread does move pretty fast at times after all.

Jintor

Absolutely.

Of course one thing history teaches is that almost every ancient civilisation relied heavily, heavily, on slavery, or at least serfdom, which is something all those fantasy books tend to ignore.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Thank you. To try and cheer you up from this topic here's something Chickdigger posted earlier that might make you Ultra Happy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzMm6dsq7nQ&feature=youtu.be

Sweet, now I don't have to buy a Japanese 3DS.

lol Miyuki really does have a thing for Peter Pan.

Obviously we need our BL Roman History piece now.

Any historically-accurate narrative will probably suffice. No DTL goggles necessary!

Heh. I can't be affected. I'm an alien.

Even aliens are at the mercy of the gods.

How to make Food with magic

Aka High school Dxd Special 5

I was wondering how they would manage to turn a simple Udon into something more akin to the show and they suceeded ...Trully i cannot underestimate the staff minds when they were working on those eps..

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Sword Arts Online Episode 4

So glad an episode didn't end with someone dieing. The series was starting to get lolworthy.

Silica is cute.

Narag

Daitarn 3 5

This other kid better not become a regular too. One is already one too many. Banjo beating asses with a baby strapped to his back is at least a return to the not giving a fuck silliness this started with as that's the show at its strongest.

Five episodes in and I'm still not sure what the purpose of the Meganoids are either. Maybe it was explained earlier but it feels like some unrepentant excuse to have giant robot fights.

a8p2el.png

vra3Al.png

This is exactly what I expect when watching a super robot show.

Thanks for the warm wishes, all! I feel loved. :)

If you want to watch a show that started this season, I cannot recommend Natsuyuki Rendezvous enough; its voice direction has been a revelation to me and the understated and naturalistic way it handles drama is refreshing. I hope other anime directors take lessons from Kou Matsuo. Otherwise, Hyouka has been out-of-this-world lately; the end of the film arc and the entire festival arc is near perfection. I'll also throw in a recommendation for my secret favorite show Yurumates 3D, the best 3-minute show this year.

Nafe

Sweet, now I don't have to buy a Japanese 3DS.

lol Miyuki really does have a thing for Peter Pan.

Actually, I think Smile Precure! 3DS is for Japanese 3DS's only...
There's some more videos for it in the related videos section to the side.

I believe it actually just came out today. It's 11:15am right now in Japan.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The show is worth watching. Its just kind of frustrating how much it goes off tangent into stupid shit. but overall, I liked it a lot.

Honestly, I like the tangents. Anyway, I'll write a brief review and thoughts on the show after I'm done.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Actually, I think Smile Precure! 3DS is for Japanese 3DS's only...
There's some more videos for it in the related videos section to the side.

I believe it actually just came out today. It's 11:15am right now in Japan.

I was actually implying that I don't need to import a Japanese 3DS because I've now seen the only thing in the game worth seeing :p While the show is all-ages, the game looks decidedly juvenile from what I've seen of it.

Mad Pierrot! Welcome back bro!

I see Hosanna is posting again as well.

Today is a good day.

It's good to be back! *hat tip*

wonzo

Banned
Kingdom 9

I'm kinda surprised they
got to the Royal Palace so quickly, I was expecting it to take maybe another ep or two
but I welcome the better pacing thanks to how slow and boring the first couple of eps have been. Shame the same can't be said about the look of the show.

ibnnBi7YjFUjfJ.gif

Narag

Daitarn 3 6

Hilarious ep where no fucks are given yet again. It's an Island of Dr. Moreau influenced ep with all sorts of weird shit and a mad scientist's dream off turning Banjo into a centaur. Hell his name is even Dr. Animad which is pretty fitting for the character.

JmZqRl.png

Very caricatured and expressive faces this time around with more than a few single frame gags. The snake proceeded to wrap itself around the blonde chick taking a shower to get her measurements.

rXApkl.png
EK5Fol.png

ckRVnl.png
mhrMMl.png

hNd5kl.png

Aw shit, the second of the four eps where Yoshinori Kanada did key animation. Once again, I'm assuming this is his work as the regular action in the series isn't anything like this.

Kingdom 9

I'm kinda surprised they
got to the Royal Palace so quickly, I was expecting it to take maybe another ep or two
but I welcome the better pacing thanks to how slow and boring the first couple of eps have been. Shame the same can't be said about the look of the show.

http://i.minus.com/ibnnBi7YjFUjfJ.gif[/IG][/QUOTE]

Shin was hilarious in that scene even more the peoples reactions to his skills, lol.

Nafe

I was actually implying that I don't need to import a Japanese 3DS because I've now seen the only thing in the game worth seeing :p While the show is all-ages, the game looks decidedly juvenile from what I've seen of it.
It's good to be back! *hat tip*

Haha, I really should have figured that out as that was essentially my feelings towards it as well.

I'll have to perhaps take a closer look as I just gave the one video a quick glance, but it does just essentially seem to be some simple mini game type activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom