• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Haha, I really should have figured that out as that was essentially my feelings towards it as well.

I'll have to perhaps take a closer look as I just gave the one video a quick glance, but it does just essentially seem to be some simple mini game type activities.

So, you a Curebro or have you just been following the release of the game?

Indeed, I agree that the sudden change in tone here makes for an odd contrast in mood. It does seem that it was intended to be a comic relief moment for the characters to let off some steam or to show that even amongst all the tension the crew still have a light natured side to them. It's implementation combined with the music and turn back to the more serious tone immediately afterwards is a bit jarring though.

The problem is that once you let out the steam you can't pull it back in. Why someone thought inserting that scene right before the dramatic climax was a good idea is a mystery to me. It's especially annoying because the time wasted on it could have been spent on much needed characterization instead.

In regards to the first spoiler
I'm not sure I agree that it seemed like an afterthought as the scramble button was always there and mentioned a few times,even more with just some of the camera work, I believe, as Tada was running around the ship. Although I suppose I agree with the vaccine not working and how the button was ultimately used seemed unsatisfying.

If Tada had ended up pressing the scramble button when he was about to during the chase sequence, I would have liked its use better than what ended up happening. The decision to press it by the group felt too easy as well; surely everyone wouldn't agree so readily to failing just because of the potential of Frol dying.

In regards to the second spoiler
I agree completely with you here, that the big reveal felt obvious to me that it was most likely an instructor and they simply tried to throw in a red haring. I mentioned it would have been nice to have some of the characters fleshed out a bit more because it really did feel it could have been any number of the characters with no change really to the final product. This was one of the big disappointments I had with the film. The way they killed him off rather unceremoniously in the credit sequence came across as a little awkwardly to me as well.

Yeah, that was awkward. The whole "where they are now" sequence was a bit random for most of the characters, since their goals hadn't been established.

In regards to the third spoiler
I found the gender issues with Frol really interesting as well and was also initially felt really let down with the ending where it just seemed to be a typical guy gets the girl story. I thought afterwords though that maybe by passing the test she did prove herself capable especially when you consider the 0.1% and 3% success rate numbers mentioned at the beginning.

The post credit scene mentioned that Frol and Tada completed pilot training together so I saw them represented perhaps as equals and in the end maybe it wasn't so much about gender and her planets views on it but also more about the self and choices made and in proving him/herself in some ways it maybe didn't matter whether Frol became a male or female in the end. Although with all that said I do still feel disappointed and maybe it's just a long winded way of justifying it.

Perhaps the film could have sold Frol's decision to become a woman had it delved more into her internal struggle about her gender identity. But as presented it was nothing more than the teary girl wilting into the arms of the strong guy. It didn't help that Frol's frailty was emphasized at several points, making the ending feel like she wasn't cut out to be a man after all.

While I liked the character designs, personally I felt for characters that were supposed to be coming from different regions of space that many of them felt too human like and wished they seemed a bit different in appearance.

It's no Star Wars cantina, certainly, but I didn't have a problem with it. The bigger problem is that, aside from
the Menir
, the varying alien cultures weren't clearly portrayed, which of course links into the issue of generally lacking characterization.

Personally for some of the issues it has I like it enough that I think people should maybe watch the film at least once.

If you go into it with tempered expectations, you can probably get something out of it.

survivor

Banned
Summer is ending up pretty dismal on the whole but you may enjoy Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Joshiraku, Tari Tari, or Bimbougami ga!, which are the only shows with any redeeming qualities.

If you want to watch a show that started this season, I cannot recommend Natsuyuki Rendezvous enough; its voice direction has been a revelation to me and the understated and naturalistic way it handles drama is refreshing. I hope other anime directors take lessons from Kou Matsuo. Otherwise, Hyouka has been out-of-this-world lately; the end of the film arc and the entire festival arc is near perfection. I'll also throw in a recommendation for my secret favorite show Yurumates 3D, the best 3-minute show this year.
Nobody likes Utakoi :(

Anyway welcome back guys, I missed you

Steroyd

Long story short, I had terrible stress building up for months and I had a hypochondriac episode that triggered a panic attack that I couldn't shut off for two weeks. MP was too busy trying to gather his marbles to watch anime or have any fun in general. I'll probably be okay now, though if I disappear again it may mean that there's been a death of someone very close to me that I've been dreading for a while and some of you know about.

I know the feeling, I lost my mum in June and only just dealt with the repercussions of that very recently, I can only hope for the best outcome for you.

Nafe

So, you a Curebro or have you just been following the release of the game?

To be honest, ever since my first post, for some reason everyone here just assumed I was male even though I never stated nor implied that I was :(

I haven't been watching it but I blame that episode of Sword Art Online because I was using a Minako/Sailor Venus, in other words female, avatar.

As for your original question I'm a Smile Precure! fan and have been following from week to week. I actually haven't been following the game.

I watched about the first half I think of the very first Pretty Cure and liked it but then never saw any of the others. When Smile came around I decided to watch it again and have been enjoying it's fun nature. I think I'll go back and watch the others like Heartcatch sometime now too.

While I like all the girls I think Reika/Cure Beauty is my favorite, so maybe some time I'll switch to a Reika Avatar.

Narag

Manyuu Hikenchou. Finish what he started.

I will shoulder his burden in this time of need.

Manyuu Hikenchou 1

That's ... uh some secret sword style and that's ... uh some sort of punishment for Kaede. I suppose jealousy is quite the ugly thing. This is simultaneously more and less graphic than I expected too.

This whole premise is ridiculous though.

Nobody likes Utakoi :(

I like Uta Koi well enough, but I find it difficult to recommend unless you have a strong prior interest in the subject matter.

If it won't scare you away again, how's OP coming along, Hosanna?

Motivation has been lacking on that front, admittedly, and I haven't made any progress while I've been away. I really do intend to finish what I agreed to though; it just might take a long time.

Speaking of One Piece, the upcoming Z film looks hot; looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

I will shoulder his burden in this time of need.

Manyuu Hikenchou 1

That's ... uh some secret sword style and that's ... uh some sort of punishment for Kaede. I suppose jealousy is quite the ugly thing. This is simultaneously more and less graphic than I expected too.

This whole premise is ridiculous though.

QX5rh.gif

Yes, yes!

cajunator

Banned
Are any of you fans of Oh Edo Rocket?
I started watching that the other day. Its pretty bizarre but a lot of fun. I don't really know what to make of it yet (2 episodes)

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Gokujo - 01

So, another show that had 'yuri' as one of its tags.

How did this show escape my clutches for so long?!!

So to explain the scenario that's going on in the above pic, the teacher is trying to take off her student's panties so she can wear them herself as she's currently going commando due to her own stupidity. Which then leads to this:

http://i.imgur.com/VnvCx.png (NSFW)

http://i.imgur.com/Q5eLQ.png (Kinda NSFW)

This show even gave me a full on lesbian who gets nosebleeds at anything yuri related. Thank you whoever responsible! Thaaaaaank yooooooou!

Nafe

The problem is that once you let out the steam you can't pull it back in. Why someone thought inserting that scene right before the dramatic climax was a good idea is a mystery to me. It's especially annoying because the time wasted on it could have been spent on much needed characterization instead.

I agree with the bold part here. Although I guess I will admit to laughing at a couple of the pies to the face, or whatever they were again.

If Tada had ended up pressing the scramble button when he was about to during the chase sequence, I would have liked its use better than what ended up happening. The decision to press it by the group felt too easy as well; surely everyone wouldn't agree so readily to failing just because of the potential of Frol dying.

The decision did seem a bit odd at first when earlier the king almost went and shot Ganga, even though he was their only source of a vaccine. For the ending though, such as with the instructors speech, I suppose it was to show how everyone had come together after all their hardships and to help further justify their pass. If they had ended where you mentioned it would have shown that they failed as a team to trust and work together which isn't the message they wanted to get across. In the end though there were probably better ways they could have carried it out.

Perhaps the film could have sold Frol's decision to become a woman had it delved more into her internal struggle about her gender identity. But as presented it was nothing more than the teary girl wilting into the arms of the strong guy. It didn't help that Frol's frailty was emphasized at several points, making the ending feel like she wasn't cut out to be a man after all.

Yeah, if they had taken the time to develop Frol and Tada's relationship more it might not have left such a sour feeling about the decision. I suppose within the story you could say days went past but to the viewer it seems their relationship develops pretty fast. Even in general I suppose, proposing to someone after you've only known them for less than two months is rather quick even in reality. It's also true that for supposedly being gender neutral they did seem to basically emphasize/imply that Frol had stereotypical female traits with things such as her strength.

It's no Star Wars cantina, certainly, but I didn't have a problem with it. The bigger problem is that, aside from
the Menir
, the varying alien cultures weren't clearly portrayed, which of course links into the issue of generally lacking characterization.

The little bit about the past and cultures that they did reveal I thought was interesting but I agree that it would have been nice if they explored that a little deeper.

Nafe: Wait, please clarify. Are you trying to correct us or remarking on the assumption?

I was remarking on the assumption but I may also still be female. To be honest I don't really want to give out any personal information such as gender, age or country if that's okay.

cajunator

Banned
I agree with the bold part here. Although I guess I will admit to laughing at a couple of the pies to the face, or whatever they were again.

The decision did seem a bit odd at first when earlier the king almost went and shot Ganga, even though he was their only source of a vaccine. For the ending though, such as with the instructors speech, I suppose it was to show how everyone had come together after all their hardships and to help further justify their pass. If they had ended where you mentioned it would have shown that they failed as a team to trust and work together which isn't the message they wanted to get across. In the end though there were probably better ways they could have carried it out.

Yeah, if they had taken the time to develop Frol and Tada's relationship more it might not have left such a sour feeling about the decision. I suppose within the story you could say days went past but to the viewer it seems their relationship develops pretty fast. Even in general I suppose, proposing to someone after you've only known them for less than two months is rather quick even in reality. It's also true that for supposedly being gender neutral they did seem to basically emphasize/imply that Frol had stereotypical female traits with things such as her strength.

The little bit about the past and cultures that they did reveal I thought was interesting but I agree that it would have been nice if they explored that a little deeper.

I was remarking on the assumption but I may also still be female. To be honest I don't really want to give out any personal information such as gender, age or country if that's okay.

nobody's asking for your personal information Nafe.
I dont blame you either.

Gundam Wing 16

Wait Ralena is
Zecks brother, what? Didnt see that coming.
I wish she would get a diminished role she litrally ruined the event of this episode, which was actually one of the better battles thus far in the series.

Is 01 the only one that has a flight mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom