• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I know the feeling, I lost my mum in June and only just dealt with the repercussions of that very recently, I can only hope for the best outcome for you.

Thanks, man. I'm about to go through the same thing myself and I just have no idea how I'm going to handle it. I'm going to try my best to go on as normal instead of shutting myself out of everything.

To be honest, ever since my first post, for some reason everyone here just assumed I was male even though I never stated nor implied that I was :(

I haven't been watching it but I blame that episode of Sword Art Online because I was using a Minako/Sailor Venus, in other words female, avatar.

As for your original question I'm a Smile Precure! fan and have been following from week to week. I actually haven't been following the game.

I watched about the first half I think of the very first Pretty Cure and liked it but then never saw any of the others. When Smile came around I decided to watch it again and have been enjoying it's fun nature. I think I'll go back and watch the others like Heartcatch sometime now too.

While I like all the girls I think Reika/Cure Beauty is my favorite, so maybe some time I'll switch to a Reika Avatar.

Normally I'd just say "don't worry, girls can be bros too!" but I don't know if that's offensive or not so I'll just try to be more conscious of using gender-netural words, hahah.

Well, regardless of your level of past experience with the franchise, it's always good to find another fan. AnimeGAF has undergone a small revolution in the last few months in terms of how big the Smile bandwagon is getting.

NewFresh

Sure, but it's the unfortunate truth that the English language is not equipped to handle gender ambiguity. You've got to be a he or a she.

True. I often find myself struggling to avoid them. I've rewritten entire posts because I don't want to assume gender.

It's a hint for you, the reader, to draw your own conclusions.

Nafe is a cyborg sent back from the future to steal our *hearts!

*Figurative hearts

NewFresh

Isn't the correct way to refer to someone in a non-gender specific way as "them?"

Using the persons user name should help. Instead of "He is so cute" or "she is so cute" you could say "Chet is so cute"

But as Hito mentioned, it does make addressing people more difficult.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Gokujo - 02

GE61K.png

ZPEBU.png

THIS. SHOW. IS. AMAZING!

I need a blood transfusion over here. Stat!

Nafe

So uh... why even bring it up, then?

I just decided to let it go and didn't bother to say anything at first. No one here really bothers Icarus or Femmworth about being female, but then I just thought I'd politely remind people not to perhaps assume things.

Bringing attention to gender assumptions is not a bad thing.

Exactly.

Sure, but it's the unfortunate truth that the English language is not equipped to handle gender ambiguity. You've got to be a he or a she, and people pick one based what can be deduced or assumed.

I'll usually use the persons username or a quick he/she or (s)he. Maybe we'll have to start using Japanese gender neutrals being the anime thread after all.

Isn't the correct way to refer to someone in a non-gender specific way as "them?"

That reminds me, has anyone seen the 1954 black and white film called Them! with the giant ants? There's a scene later on where a girl comes to after being in shock and shouts "It's Them!". Maybe it's obscure enough but I was kind of surprised that that scene never became a meme, unless it came and went and I missed it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Japanese puts gender on the speaker rather than the subject, and the ability to not define gender is largely helped by how pronoun omission works. Such a thing doesn't work in English.

Thoraxes

Anohana 10

That was expectedly cliche. Probably the worst episode out of the series so far.
So, about a week or so before the premiere of Ano Hana 11, the original script to the final episode was actually leaked, and they actually had a lot of changes.

I personally like the original ending better, so if you want to read it before you watch episode 11, here it is: http://pastebin.com/b960RUHu

You can read it after too, to maximize your emotional investment into the Ano Hana universe (because worst ending first, then the best ending which it should've been), and maybe shed some more tears.

Is it time Thoraxes?

Yes. Yes it is.

Gundam Wing 17

On the preview for 18, I hate when the title of the episode itself is a spoiler, and I cant even avoid it
Tall Geese destroyed...:/ Hope Zecks stays alive

The mental struggles of the pilots is handled real well with their gundams and these often impossible situations forcing the last resort on them
like Quatre's turn to self destruct. Duo was so worried over him that it made it emotional to watch as he stood on the front lines enabling everyone else to go while he was gonna sacrifice himself. Fortunately the will of Gundam thought otherwise and let him go, which was surprising and unexpected. I guess he will get that Deathsythe Gundam they mentioned but didnt show?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Maybe some day I'll reveal that my name really stands for Nameless Agent Fred Erikson...

I'm Michelangelo Adonis Dusseldorf Pendragon Ignatius Edelweiss Randolph Remington Ortega Thorbjørn. Nice to make your acquaintance, Mr. Erikson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom