• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

what am I looking at?

Am I staring art in the face ...or is that it's rear?

A Hanar.

That's its face (or at least the side people talk towards) and they are understood through:

The hanar communicate using sophisticated patterns of bioluminescence—which other species need machine assistance to translate (though many drell apply genetic modification to their eyes in order to perceive higher frequency flashes which allows them to understand the hanar)—and speak with scrupulous precision and extreme politeness. Most hanar take offense at improper language, and must take special courses to unlearn this tendency if they expect to deal with other species.

(Warning, mild language) sci-fi stuff.

Nafe

This one is now unsure what is the proper way to address you fine individuals.

I'd just rather Chet didn't find out how :Chet I really am. No pictures for real picture January or however that worked again.

Well, personally, without additional information given, I assume everyone else I talk to on the internet is male.

Personally, with the anonymity of the internet I just assume gender neutrality until stated otherwise.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'd just rather Chet didn't find out how :Chet I really am. No pictures for real picture January or however that worked again.

AnimeGAF should just have its own realpic thing for like a day. Just be sure not to post outside of the thread and you don't have anything to worry about.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Anohana

I think I enjoyed the show overall more than I did Clannad but the best part of Clannad doesn't really top the best part of Anohana. Anyway, comparisons aside, the following is my thought and the possible review of Anohana I guess.

Anohana was amazing in almost every single way. It excelled in a plot that gripped me straight from the beginning and all the way to the end - despite its somewhat awkward execution. I think the aspect that stood out to me most was the dichotomy of friendships as a child and as a teenager. After watching the show I realize how naive, idealistic, uncaring, and innocent children are. These friendships create I think the more pure friendships at heart despite the negative feelings. It isn't until that people grow older and older that we become more aware of these negative feelings and it changes us. For the Peace Busters it was harder than ever as the link the binded them shattered. With Menma dead nothing could keep them in check and nothing held them together.

I think Anohana is a story of what friends hide each from other, how friendships last throughout time, how friendship changes us while all the time keeping us the same, and how friends are ultimately what drives us to do the things we do sometimes - whether it be good or bad. In all honesty, I watch Anohana and it helps me to remember that I am still the same person as I was over a decade ago while still being different. It also helps me to know that the friendship that I forged and broke long ago also created the person I am. Seeing how everyone reacted to Menma and their friendship with each other pretty much revealed to me the depth of their sadness as well as their happiness.

I would say that Anohana is much more than a simple anime because in many ways it could very well reflect our encounters with our friends now and how we interacted with friends previously. The childish innocence eventually grows out as we become older. People change for the worse, they become more refined and become more realistic. However, at the same time, it's our childhood friendships and the past that we cling to that can help bring out our old selves again.

The tangents, random events, and more helped me to realize that Anohana wasn't really filled with filler plot but events that help each of the characters reach rock bottom, only to ultimately prevail their sadness and anguish and rise above it. Acceptance of Menma's death and their selfish past that consumed them over the years quickly dissipates as they wave good bye.

Ultimately, I found the ending to be sort of contrived because it felt pointless. The first half of the last episode was exceptionally amazing and I was expecting a cliche ending. However, what I got was a lengthy second half that felt tacked on just for some random emotional tugging. It wasn't extremely bad but it didn't help either.

Overall, I'd recommend this show to anyone who enjoys drama and a good story. I haven't experienced something like it in quite some while and it was a thrill marathoning it.

Jarmel

Banned
Cencoroll

ibduWmofq03rwb.jpg
This really feels like a self-contained pilot for a tv show. The OVA hints at a bunch of stuff but never really addresses anything. It's more an introduction into the world than anything else. I did like the artstyle but nothing stood out to me. I am impressed how Atsuya did most of this by himself as it must have taken him an ungodly amount of time.
The little bits of pieces, music-wise, were very nice. Too bad there wasn't more of it. Ryo is truly a master at his craft and I would like to hear more works done by him.

I liked the female lead as she had some spunk to her compared to the rather apathetic main lead. You could see her becoming more comfortable as the episode went along.
As for the monsters, I wasn't impressed by their design as they're mostly blobs but Cenco had a bit of a personality that you could see primarily through his eyes.

There really isn't that much to talk about due to how short it is, but I would like to see more in this universe even if this episode isn't fantastic in its own right.

My presents only contain love.
I still have that bookmarked in case I ever decide to watch Anohana. From the tiny bit I read, I doubt that the real ending could ever hope to be as wondrous.
AnimeGAF should just have its own realpic thing for like a day. Just be sure not to post outside of the thread and you don't have anything to worry about.
Are you implying that you all aren't actually the people/animals/objects in your avatars? My world is built upon lies.

Nafe

See?! I knew that wouldn't slip by! Plus I already mentioned Mio was my favorite because she's the most like me.

That wouldn't work because of lurkers. This is a public forum. I should know as I've been reading it for a long time. We even have a member called Lurky!

Emitan

I can't ask anyone else to show their face when I'm too self conscious to. All of GirlGAF is so much more beautiful than me!

Nafe

I still have that bookmarked in case I ever decide to watch Anohana. From the tiny bit I read, I doubt that the real ending could ever hope to be as wondrous.
Are you implying that you all aren't actually the people/animals/objects in your avatars? My world is built upon lies.

Actually regarding Irisu in my avatar, it was nice that in the last episode she wasn't constantly framed from the side. In episode 12 it was actually kind of distracting. She has a nice bust, we get it KyoAni! Whoever is doing fan art apparently couldn't help but notice this either.

This much chet?

No comment.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That wouldn't work because of lurkers. This is a public forum. I should know as I've been reading it for a long time. We even have a member called Lurky!

I might post in one thread for every fifty that I lurk, and I can't remember what a single realpic person looks like! If some internet stalker somewhere ends up with a 100x120 picture of my face in a creepy folder on their computer, I'd probably just feel flattered that someone thought I wasn't horrifically ugly, hahah.

Only if we're all in cosplay.

This.....................could be arranged.

I might post in one thread for every fifty that I lurk, and I can't remember what a single realpic person looks like! If some internet stalker somewhere ends up with a 100x120 picture of my face in a creepy folder on their computer, I'd probably just feel flattered that someone thought I wasn't horrifically ugly, hahah.
Someone in the Anonymous Confession thread revealed that they had just such a collection. The screenshot included D through M, and I was nowhere to be found. Felt strangely bad, man.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Someone in the Anonymous Confession thread revealed that they had just such a collection. The screenshot included D through M, and I was nowhere to be found. Felt strangely bad, man.

I remember seeing that. Maybe since you're always realpic, no one assumes that the person in your avatar is actually you!

Admittedly, I didn't until you revealed otherwise at some point in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom