• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I enjoyed Dog Days at first - it's got some nicely animated action - but soon got bored with it because the characters are all basic anime archetypes whose interactions quickly became stale. The show felt like it was just going through the motions. It also didn't so as much with the dog/cat thing as I would have liked.

How it plays it safe with the archetypes is one reason I dig it. Comfort food fantasy genre show that's like watching someone play a JRPG.

Doki Doki RosettaCure 33

fd3PleF.jpg
J9v3w15.jpg

You know, it's been a while since an Alice episode really felt like she was the primary focus of the episode. Then again, the Cure Sebastian/Cutie Madam thing took up more time from her, so it left a gap between the Royal Stone subplot and now, but man, she really is the star of this episode, and I'll be honest right off the bat.

I like this episode... a lot. It gave me what I was looking for in Alice. I didn't want her to suffer from lack of screen time because someone else join the crew to steal it from them (Poor Cure Pine/Berry/Sunshine/Beat). And frankly, it was adorable little Alice and friends. Although Rikka got thrown under the bus here when it comes to getting acknowledged, but even she was pretty cool during the flashback.

bIpv8vr.jpg

Look at this boopin' ass iPad shit!

Sebastian was apparently always awesome, letting kids sneak in and take a frail Alice outside into the world, giving kids iPads to learn the layout of their mansion AND TRIGGER TRAP DOORS AND OTHER CRAZY SHIT IN THAT HOUSE (based Yotsuba family) even fucking fought other butlers because Alice was happy. Sebastian is probably the best male character of the franchise.

Anyway, she saves her dad once they're attacked and he sees Cure Rosetta (I think he knows who she is based on the wink), and she was the primary focus of the action. All everyone else did was set up for the Super move. Rosetta did all the fighting, and probably made the best use of her shields outside of all Shield Cures, who used it for what it was. Here it was more like an extension, but I think that's more due to who was responsible for the fight.

Flash back was good stuff, action was good stuff. I am very satisfied. NEXT TIME, BABIES and Rikka, who looks like she might suffer a breakdown similar to Miki's breakdown on forcing herself to raise Chiffon for a powerup.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I enjoyed Dog Days at first - it's got some nicely animated action - but soon got bored with it because the characters are all basic anime archetypes whose interactions quickly became stale. The show felt like it was just going through the motions. It also didn't so as much with the dog/cat thing as I would have liked.
Heh, the limits of kemomimi.

Yeah, I felt the drama over the s1 ending got silly, but s2 managed to put in the outsider thrown into the mix situation I'm always fond of.

The World God Only Knows: Season Finale
What an amazing ride. I only found out about the series a couple weeks ago and marathoned from S1E1 all the way to catching up at S3Ep10 2 weeks ago. I can't explain it, but its just on my list of favorite series now. Its just a fun show.

Hopefully another season comes out of it :)

Tenumi

Banned
DokiDoki AdorableCure: 33

Daww.... Flashback to the Mana, Rikka, and Alice as little kids, and some pretty good action this episode, too. No Ai, either!

Midonin

The World God Only Knows Goddesses
My Greek Visual Novel Harem

And for the second time in as many days, I find myself talking about male lead characters. I don't often focus on these things at all, but when comparing them, I prefer someone like Issei to someone like Keima. He's smart, yes, and provides some nice self-awareness and a comedic foil to Elsie, but his personality can be a little rough.

So this season is one of the "good parts" that people keep talking about. Whenever I hear that, as I mentioned back when I reviewed Prisma Illya, the good part can be a standout, but the context of everything around it should also be nearly as good. These good parts don't exist in isolation. Though this one had the problem of having to fast forward through a lot of content to reach that point. I don't know how a third season giving more time to Yui, Tsukiyo and the other girls we never saw would've allowed us to get to this point, but I can also understand not wanting to wear out the formula too much.

Being able to use (mostly) returning characters does allow for a bit of a stronger connection, and even the most route-based visual novels can often have a unified storyline where the events, often involving several time loops, come into play. This would be the that. I found it mostly identical to the stuff that was in the first two seasons, and not completely retreading old ground. Things like the different art style in Shiori's book or the crossdressing kept the series' cinematography on par with the previous two.

Really glad I watched the Tenri OVAs before this began. It made the last episode feel like it came full circle. Tenri herself was a nice support character through all of this - in some ways, she was like a counterpart to Chihiro on the supernatural side.

I would've liked to have seen more Elsie. Haqua's fine, but the other character she was paired up with for the Hayate collab, Hina, both inspire similar reactions in me. Yes, smart, cool, lightly tsundere. I can understand why these traits would be popular. I just find Elsie's energy and clumsiness and love of firetrucks more entertaining to watch. Seeing her really get into the Kanon role did provide some moments of levity, and the Magical Kanon 100% OVA did provide ample amounts of both of them to make up for Kanon being out cold for the majority of the season.

I do like the concept of someone who was never meant to get involved doing so, so I appreciate Chihiro remaining normal throughout all this. The love triangle thing did feel a little heavier and a little dragged on, taking up the half the season. The climatic payoff was nice, but love triangles are one of those things that can quickly go south if not balanced with other things. In this case, that would be the Vintage storyline, I suppose.

Fairly interesting stuff, but never all that prominent. The captures were always in the foreground. Haqua's fight was one of the neater moments of the season, I thought, and I liked the concert at the end. That shot of everyone with their wings was beautifully done. In the end, I leave it on a better note because the love triangle in spite of its length and change in tone, did serve the very important purpose of getting Keima to start showing some genuine compassion and breaking down his God facade just a little bit. Small steps.

My thoughts on the opening are the same as the first. Very well-produced, but not exactly easy listening with its length. The ending was, though. Once again, no thoughts on the character songs just yet. I enjoyed the reprise of the S1 ending theme, too.

Final Thoughts: Some of the trappings of an adaptation - things that had to be glossed over and things that were expanded upon - are at the forefront, but the strengths of the series are the same as before. The returning characters being more than just pawns in a game, as well as the expansion of the series' mythology, are also welcome touches. The OVA giving presence to neglected characters is also appreciated.

Death Note - Episode 14

Did she really say and I quote
"If I see you with any other girls I will kill them."

Oh man, I so need a popcorn.gif right now. Oh yeah, I hate Light even more now. He is getting more evil each episode.

Death Note - Episode 14

Oh man, I so need a popcorn.gif right now. Oh yeah, I hate Light even more now. He is getting more evil each episode.

My GF and I just finished this. It only gets better from here.
So, at the risk of starting something I should just keep to myself, I'll just ask anyway: why do people prefer Charlotte in IS so much?
If you have to ask, you'll never know. You've just gotta experience it yourself.

So, at the risk of starting something I should just keep to myself, I'll just ask anyway: why do people prefer Charlotte in IS so much?

HoukiPouki is main girl boring
Cecilia is regular boring
China is irrelevant
Laura is actually pretty adorable, second best of the main harem
Char is cute as fuck KanaHana best girl

Hopefully the new girl with HAIR EAAAAAAAAAAAARS will be great, plus we all know Chifuyu-nee is the best overall.

Steins Gate 2-25
I decided to marathon the entire series this past weekend. I already watched the first episode a while ago. While its a tad slow in the first couple episodes, the show really picks up when the time manipulation experiments affect the world around.
When Akiba changed from moe to only electronics, I was greatly astonished. Most time based shows either have the world change into a complete disaster or destroying the world of the main character where the world continues as normal. Changing an entire area is kinda huge. The way the story starts with building up their actions and then crashes down on them and then they have to reversed. I'm surprised I actually teared a bit a few times since I almost never cry.I also like how Okabe's persona was created to comfort Mayuri. THough the endng was sort of a cop-out, it felt like a solid resolution. The special was also nice reunion to though it didn't make much sense in the first half
Now to wait for the movie

-Horizon-

HoukiPouki is main girl boring
Cecilia is regular boring
China is irrelevant
Laura is actually pretty adorable, second best of the main harem
Char is cute as fuck KanaHana best girl

Hopefully the new girl with HAIR EAAAAAAAAAAAARS will be great, plus we all know Chifuyu-nee is the best overall.

You see, I've always considered Chifuyu and Laura as top picks. Never even considered Charlotte. I just don't see it.

TWGOK S3 12
That was a satisfying end. The anime depicts the final scene really well making it look pretty cool and exemplifying Chihiro and Keima's development from their preset character "types". Also, the anime depiction of Akari makes her look a bit more like Elsie

As much as I like Dog Days, I do wish the characters displayed more animal characteristics than the occasional tail-wagging and fetch playing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you have any questions cosmic, you know where I am.

Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun 1

iiXM0lILoKGq2.jpg

The only appearance of best girl outside the OP and ED so far. FUCK OFF.

This was probably the most frustratingly dumb mid-00s harem show I've seen so far. This MC is like some super soldier but with the mind of the average harem protagonist and has pussy thrown at him left and right and he won't take any of it because he's fucking awful. The main heroine is nonchalantly referred to as a succubus and awakens men's will to molest wherever she goes, and she's also boring as shit with big boobs. I'm sticking with this show because it'll be worth it for Miyukichi being a main girl plus she's already so much better than the shitty actual main girl who's name I can't even remember, plus it's OJOU-SAMA MIYUKICHI so there's that too.

What about anime dog girls?

Obviously cosmic is referring to smell and hearing being more important senses for them and also the ability to get really savage, but that's kind of breaking the whole lighthearted tone.

Have you seen Pootanfall?

But yeah, probably referring to those aspects
not that I fucking watched it.

As much as I like Dog Days, I do wish the characters displayed more animal characteristics than the occasional tail-wagging and fetch playing.

Yeah, there was a moment when Cinque was rubbing Millhiore's chin and she reacted with a dog-like contentment which I really liked, and that's the kind of thing I would have liked to see more prevalent instead of just having them be people with funny ears and tails.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, there was a moment when Cinque was rubbing Millhiore's chin and she reacted with a dog-like contentment which I really liked, and that's the kind of thing I would have liked to see more prevalent instead of just having them be people with funny ears and tails.
Spice and Wolf did a decent job at this. Not that it went out of its way, but in so many shows they are nothing more than costume props.

Jex

[The Eccentric Family] - 12

This is certainly the best show that P.A. Works has ever done, which unfortunately isn't saying much. It'll probably only reach a fraction of Hanasaku Iroha's sales which is a shame but I'm just glad it exists.

This episode was certainly a treat for the eyes in terms of animation. They really went extremely western in how cartoonily deformed the train got, great stuff.

Series wise, I feel that most of the scenes with the brothers are a waste of time. All the interactions between them and the main family members is nearly the same in every single scene they're in and they don't really have any interesting depths to be explored. As flat, joke characters they shouldn't have quite so much time devoted to them.

I also feel like this series, as a whole, would be better digested in the marathon format. These week long gaps really aren't working for me because the story doesn't really divide into neat episodes.

Like snouts, fur and paws, right?

I just mean more tail-wagging when happy, better use of smell, glomping, maybe burrowing in a bed and then getting confused/scared when they can't find their way out from under the comforter.

Stuff like that. I could do without bathroom related things.

Also more expressive ears.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I just mean more tail-wagging when happy, better use of smell, glomping, maybe burrowing in a bed and then getting confused/scared when they can't find their way out from under the comforter.
You have to remember they have human intelligence here.

Stuff like that. I could do without bathroom related things.
Same thing here. We're just more discrete about it. Usually.

Also more expressive ears.
Well, faces in anime aren't always expressive either. Certainly would be great to have, though. MLP is usually good about this.

LegatoB

Series wise, I feel that most of the scenes with the brothers are a waste of time. All the interactions between them and the main family members is nearly the same in every single scene they're in and they don't really have any interesting depths to be explored. As flat, joke characters they shouldn't have quite so much time devoted to them.
You mean the Ebisugawa twins? Yeah, they're the lowest point of the show, but their turn into honestly threatening, if still astoundingly idiotic, villains plays pretty well. Imagine the terror you'd feel knowing that these bozos have your life, and the lives of those dearest to you, in their hands!

Branduil

This is certainly the best show that P.A. Works has ever done, which unfortunately isn't saying much.

Eh, being better than Hanasaku Iroha is nothing to be ashamed of. Of course most of P.A. Works' output doesn't come close to even that level.

Shergal

This episode was certainly a treat for the eyes in terms of animation. They really went extremely western in how cartoonily deformed the train got, great stuff.
Yeah, it was really nice to see that. I'm surprised Inoue pulled that off, he has been doing mostly realistic and restrained movement since years ago. Guy's a professional in every sense of the word, it's no wonder Oshii called him "the perfect animator".

I also feel like this series, as a whole, would be better digested in the marathon format. These week long gaps really aren't working for me because the story doesn't really divide into neat episodes.

At this point, I feel the same. The Ebisugawa father works better for me, but the two retard brothers have gotten old. It doesn't help that their scenes also happen to be mostly static and uninteresting, unlike their presentation in episode 2 which was more exciting and lively.
For as much as I like this show, I also feel I can't get invested enough in the story. Episode 8 worked for me, but that's the extent of it. I'm more attracted to other things the series has been doing rather than being expectant of what will happen to these characters.

cajunator

Banned
Finally, the Madoka/Chihayafuru crossover you've been waiting for, except not really.

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000083711/

I wonder what the next step of merchandising will be for Madoka.

I want this. I have no use for it but I REALLY want it.

Death Note - Episode 14

MisaMisa <3
I have a lovely wallscroll of her. I regret nothing.

Because shes ADORABLE.

Steins Gate 2-25
I decided to marathon the entire series this past weekend. I already watched the first episode a while ago. While its a tad slow in the first couple episodes, the show really picks up when the time manipulation experiments affect the world around.
When Akiba changed from moe to only electronics, I was greatly astonished. Most time based shows either have the world change into a complete disaster or destroying the world of the main character where the world continues as normal. Changing an entire area is kinda huge. The way the story starts with building up their actions and then crashes down on them and then they have to reversed. I'm surprised I actually teared a bit a few times since I almost never cry.I also like how Okabe's persona was created to comfort Mayuri. THough the endng was sort of a cop-out, it felt like a solid resolution. The special was also nice reunion to though it didn't make much sense in the first half
Now to wait for the movie

This show was pretty special. I was so drawn into it I marathoned it in one sitting and people who know me knows I just dont do that unless a show really stands out for me.
The story, the characters, the setting. I was sooo hooked into it.

This will definitely grow on me.

Hmm. Sounds like really generic forgettable rock to me. Im not a fan at all.

Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun 2

Jesus, JEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUS. How can there be such a best girl in comparison to everyone else in the show? Mayu is such a piece of shit, nobody even knows but me. This should probably go without saying, but this show is nothing but QUALITY through practically the entire episode, it's sort of hilarious.

Jex

Eh, being better than Hanasaku Iroha is nothing to be ashamed of. Of course most of P.A. Works' output doesn't come close to even that level.

Hanasaku Iroha, despite it's strong points, was still a rather inconsistent piece. The Eccentric Family has been better in that regards but then again it is also a shorter series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom