• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ano Natsu de Matteru 1-12 (End)

Damn, I thought the series was an Onegai Teacher rip off at first -- but it's the same character designer and writer. It's actually sort of a retelling of Onegai Teacher with a lot of changes -- and apparently it's set years after onegai teacher as well! Though they never outright said it, there are many things that hint towards it -- and maybe they could not outright say it because the two series were done under different companies or something? The onegai connection is just a bonus, but the series was surprisingly good! The characters are great -- especially Kanna and Lemon. There were quite a few emotional moments and the pacing was more than excellent. If you like the Onegai series then most definitely check it out. If you were a fan of Ano Hana then this series has the same director and you can definitely see his influence, so it's worth checking out too. If you want a solid romance-comedy then this is it as well!

cajunator

Banned
Ano Natsu de Matteru 1-12 (End)

Damn, I thought the series was an Onegai Teacher rip off at first -- but it's the same character designer and writer. It's actually sort of a retelling of Onegai Teacher with a lot of changes -- and apparently it's set years after onegai teacher as well! Though they never outright said it, there are many things that hint towards it -- and maybe they could not outright say it because the two series were done under different companies or something? The onegai connection is just a bonus, but the series was surprisingly good! The characters are great -- especially Kanna and Lemon. There were quite a few emotional moments and the pacing was more than excellent. If you like the Onegai series then most definitely check it out. If you were a fan of Ano Hana then this series has the same director and you can definitely see his influence, so it's worth checking out too. If you want a solid romance-comedy then this is it as well!

We can be friends :)

We finally have our Assassination Classroom cast, glad for Karmas va.
Anime “assassination classroom”

Character voice
Korosensei : Tomokazu Seki
Shiota Nagisa : Nao Higashiyama
Kaeda Kayani : Ayana Taketatsu
Akabane Karma : Nobuhiko Okamoto
Sugino Tomohito : Yutaro Honjo
Kanzaki Yukiko : Satou Rina
Karasuma Tadaomi: Junichi Suwabe
Irina Jelavic : Yui Horie
Red Eye : Shinichiro Miki

LayLa

Random 10 DVD Dregathon

DVD 07: Saiyuki Reload (2003) Episodes 9-12
Audio options: Sub & dub (2.0)
Extras: CMs, trailers

An epic quest? Check. A battle every episode? Check. Ugly art? Check. Lame jokey situations? Check.
Oh goody it's shonen comedy time again.

This one is based on Wu Cheng'en's classic novel Journey to the West aka The Monkey King aka Monkey, which also inspired anime like Alakazam the Great, Monkey Typhoon, Starzinger and of course Dragon Ball. In many ways Journey to the West is the shonen prototype! I actually loved the book as a kid, so the first ten minutes of this was fascinating as I quickly realised what was going on and then tried to match up the characters. After that things got boring quickly.

6w3uGql.jpg

yup it's uglyass anime time again

8zxYj25.jpg

that derp face and those half glasses, what a combination

To switch things up a little I watched the second two episodes dubbed, something I very rarely do. It didn't help. So if you after some boring action comedy I guess this is the show for you.
Otherwise read the book, it's good!
For bonus credits watch Godiego perform the title song from the classic 70's live action series Monkey at the first ever Chinese rock concert in 1980

Do I want to watch the rest? No, but it has made me want to read the book again.
Bored from an egg on a mountain top: 1/10

cajunator

Banned
Random 10 DVD Dregathon

DVD 07: Saiyuki Reload (2003) Episodes 9-12
Audio options: Sub & dub (2.0)
Extras: CMs, trailers

An epic quest? Check. A battle every episode? Check. Ugly art? Check. Lame jokey situations? Check.
Oh goody it's shonen comedy time again.

This one is based on Wu Cheng'en's classic novel Journey to the West aka The Monkey King aka Monkey, which also inspired anime like Alakazam the Great, Monkey Typhoon, Starzinger and of course Dragon Ball. In many ways Journey to the West is the shonen prototype! I actually loved the book as a kid, so the first ten minutes of this was fascinating as I quickly realised what was going on and then tried to match up the characters. After that things got boring quickly.

To switch things up a little I watched the second two episodes dubbed, something I very rarely do. It didn't help. So if you after some boring action comedy I guess this is the show for you.
Otherwise read the book, it's good!
For bonus credits watch Godiego perform the title song from the classic 70's live action series Monkey at the first ever Chinese rock concert in 1980

Do I want to watch the rest? No, but it has made me want to read the book again.
Bored from an egg on a mountain top: 1/10

Theres a reason they practically give this stuff away heehee.

Jintor

Saigo no Kaze-tsukai s01e01

Rewatching from the beginning. This show is seriously great right off the god damn bat, even though it feels noticeably more 'kiddy' (and dare I say, amateur, at least in terms of animation quality and in some sense its overall treatment) that its later seasons. But there's still an edge to it; the exploration of the ship, the effect of the revelation of the war on Aang, Zuko and Iroh of course. Katara's voice acting begins a little shakily, but improves over the course of the episode, but Sokka comes out of the gate swinging.

It really makes you appreciate how badly Korra no Densetsu really, really suffers from its accelerated pacing. This first thirty minute episode only really focuses right down on five characters and it gets a lot out of them for it - Sokka's sense of responsibility, Aang's generally carefree nature, Katara's oscilating concern and sense of responsibility as a member of her tribe and her desire to discover her waterbending skills.

---

Saigno no Kaze-tsukai s01e02

Wow, dramatic right off the bat. They really handle this initial scene excellently, with Aang staying true to his largely pacifist nature and accepting the tribe's judgement. The might of the Fire Nation's industry, and especially their ships, is really brought home by Zuko's seriously intimidating entrance.

Lol, Zuko's a dick. Sokka actually manages to look kind of cool there, too, for a second - he at least stands up for what he believes in and shows he's at least vaguely competent.

Aang's truly pacifist nature rears its head.

lol Sokka anticipating Katara's rant haha. Gran-gran too! Fuck this music is so goddamn epic.

Fire helmet horns are sharp enough to cut rope.

Oh man, Aang's fight with Zuko is so excellent. Going Ba Gua on his ass. The choreography is so damn rad. PFFFT Aang basically just ending the fight in two moves, haha.

I never noticed this show had so many jokes that boomeranged back around before. Aang telling Sokka and Katara "thanks for coming" just like Sokka did when Aang arrived, Sokka prodding Zuko three times in the head... hilarious.

Urgh, Korra is so depressing.

Jintor

Saigo no Kaze-Tsukai s01e03

The Southern Air Temple. Right off the bat we get to explore the World of Avatar, making up for the wonderfully featureless ice cliff environment that the otherwise dramatic two-parter showed. Additionally we get to see Zhao and his camp, which is interesting enough, but the real intro here is the wonderfully odious Zhao.

Sokka and Katara talking over what to do about Aang's inevitable freakout is really strong, too.

Flashback to Gyatso! Get to see the Air Temple in its prime!

"No-one could have survived in there for a hundred years" "I dunno, I survived in that iceberg." "Good point!"

lol, Legend of Zelda puzzle on the door.

One thing I noticed is they like to show the map of the world a lot. It's really crazy.

Holy shit, Aang going FUBAR mode, reactivating all the Avatar shrines in the world... fuck, this show can ratchet itself up to 'epic' in a matter of seconds and snap right back to hilarious. (Although in this case it snaps to the wonderfully dramatic agni kai. Fuck, so good.

Iroh laying down the law.

I don't mind people posting impressions of non-Japanese animation in here, but I do personally find it a bit annoying when they "Japan-ify" the titles - it's an obfuscation even worse than MAL's monkeying around with anime titles. It's not like people do this with Japanese animation even; no one posts impressions of "Ren'ai Kenkyuushitsu".

BluWacky

ATLA is animuz

5zKET2y.jpg

See?

THE SPIRIT OF HIX IS WITHIN YOU

Seriously, are you watching it stretched? Shame on you, Jintor :p

I don't mind people posting impressions of non-Japanese animation in here, but I do personally find it a bit annoying when they "Japan-ify" the titles - it's an obfuscation even worse than MAL's monkeying around with anime titles. It's not like people do this with Japanese animation even; no one posts impressions of "Ren'ai Kenkyuushitsu".

They'd be talking about this manga if they did!

I agree with you here. It's nice when the actual title tells me what show you are talking about.

Tenumi

Banned
Well, I'm going to have to get through this pretty quick if I want to finish it before the second season starts...

Infinite Stratos: 01

So, the first man to ever be able to pilot one of those IS frame/mech/thingies. Interesting. The only guy in an all girls school. OK. This should be fun.

Also, dude, of course your now-15-year-old childhood friend wears bras now. Are you really sheltered or something?

Geneijin

Yea you were right. I take back my earlier comments, the audio is fine. I completely re-ripped the CD and apparently the static was due to a bad rip on my part. I knew it couldn't be intentional as it was way too bad and prevalent.
Eh, just recently, VVV is an example of bad mixing. It's too bright and I ain't even using a bright headphone like the DT990 to listen to them.

I was listening to some versions on Youtube to see if the static was there as well but it was probably just bad Youtube audio compression like always.
Nah, actually, it's both youtube for remaining bad with audio compression and the music being bitrate starved. Static is one symptom of it. It's why it's FLAC or bust really with some music, otherwise, if you have a revealing sound system like yours, it'll sound terrible. It's why some of the problems people tend to mention can be solved by going lossless.

Articalys

From the Media Create thread:

02./00. [PSV] Yahari Game Demo Ore no Seishun Love-Kome Hamachi Gatteiru. # <ADV> (5pb.) {2013.09.19} (¥7.140) - 16.469 / NEW

The Oregairu Vita game came bundled with a new anime OVA episode, so the sales numbers are worth mentioning here.
As a reminder, average BD+DVD sales for the three anime volumes so far are about 11,000.

edit: I mean, it's not like there were people who bought the game only for the OVA... okay, maybe a small handful did, but probably not the majority. Still, as an OVA bundled with a game, it sort of counts as anime sales. I mean, if the G4U releases did... then again, those weren't really full "games"...

From the Media Create thread:

02./00. [PSV] Yahari Game Demo Ore no Seishun Love-Kome Hamachi Gatteiru. # <ADV> (5pb.) {2013.09.19} (¥7.140) - 16.469 / NEW

The Oregairu Vita game came bundled with a new anime OVA episode, so the sales numbers are worth mentioning here.
As a reminder, average BD+DVD sales for the three anime volumes so far are about 11,000.

tiger-woods-fist-pump_o_gifsoup-com.gif

Sequel pretty much confirmed (when there is enough material)

Syrinx

It's not even how long the ponytail is, it's how thick and wavy it is. I actually think it's a pretty cool design though.

Articalys

Oh, and in related anime video game news, the Mushibugyo 3DS game sold around 3,200 in its first week, which is probably almost more total copies than all the BD and DVD volumes of the anime combined will ever sell over its lifetime (currently at 351 average for the first two volumes, will be nine total in the end).

BluWacky

Oh, and in related anime video game news, the Mushibugyo 3DS game sold around 3,200 in its first week, which is probably almost more total copies than all the BD and DVD volumes of the anime combined will ever sell over its lifetime (currently at 351 average for the first two volumes, will be nine total in the end).

Oh dear. At least the TV broadcast MIGHT help sales of the manga - but clearly there wasn't much of an audience for a tie-in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom