• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

If you haven't seen it yet, you should also check out Accel World, which is based on another light novel series by the same author, and seems to take place in the same world as SAO a little over twenty years later. Though SAO is the series which has achieved most of the sales popularity, it's a common opinion that Accel World is the better of the two.

Only amongst crazy people. About the only positive thing I could say about Accel World is that it was nice of them to give a little fat kid a main part.

If you haven't seen it yet, you should also check out Accel World, which is based on another light novel series by the same author, and seems to take place in the same world as SAO a little over twenty years later. Though SAO is the series which has achieved most of the sales popularity, it's a common opinion that Accel World is the better of the two.

Cool, I had heard the series mentioned, but didn't know what it is. Maybe I'll give that a shot next. :)

I did not know this, and I can already tell my curiosity is going to get the better of me.

Watashi kininarimasu!

I heard Clannad was a good series. But I dislike moe. Will I like Clannad? Is it overly moe? Or just a tad? I didn't like Air at all. I disliked Tamayura because of the moe at the end of ova 1.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I will keep saying it until people learn; how can someone hate something they find moe? It makes no sense.

"Oh this flavour is my favourite therefore I hate it."

That's what you sound like.

Shergal

I heard Clannad was a good series. But I dislike moe. Will I like Clannad? Is it overly moe? Or just a tad? I didn't like Air at all. I disliked Tamayura because of the moe at the end of ova 1.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by moe here.

Clannad is sort of a romantic comedy with some drama. It follows a formula where the main guy goes around solving problems for various girls, while developing an overarching character arc on the side. The second season becomes more of a melodrama about family and is more focused.
Personally I don't like it. The comedy is unfunny, the melodrama is contrived and trite, and the overall execution strikes me as trying too hard while succeeding at very little.

It has a lot of "feels" though, so if that's your thing go for it.

Jintor

One Piece and Soul Eater is my other jam (hour before SAO), with a bit of FMA Brotherhood on the side and maybe some Bebop if I'm feeling up to it (hour half after SAO, I skip IGPX)

One Piece and Soul Eater is my other jam (hour before SAO), with a bit of FMA Brotherhood on the side and maybe some Bebop if I'm feeling up to it (hour half after SAO, I skip IGPX)

Ya know, I hear One Piece is really good....but dammit, I hate long ass series. Maybe I'll check out a few episodes.

FMA is good, and Bebop is always good. I bet everyone's glad Tenchi's gone for now.

Best cover, evokes strong feelings of Free! nostalgia
BVE1Sr3CEAAlETB.jpg:large

Sword Art Online 25 and overall Final Impressions

I thought the series would take a huge dive when it went into the Fairy Dance, however I feel it added a lot of depth to the overall series. (Which wasn't all that deep to begin with.) We had a world with such huge promise. Then instead of cool action sequences going through tons of floors, we're skipping like 30 an episode. It was disappointing.

Asuna is soooooo boring. I can only imagine she hypnotized Kirito or something, because Lisbeth is season 1 goddess. Her episode was bY far my favorite of "season 1"

Still don't quite understand how Asuna wasn't dead forever as all her light disappeared. Then Kirito gets killed and quickly comes back strictly because of his will? Hmm. Did they forget that Klein has a Revival item the entire time? or did they just not animated that episode?

Anyway. to Fairy Dance. First of all, we (finally) get more Suguha, who is "goddess". You feel bad for her throughout, putting her feelings on the line only to get hurt several times. The way they handled the realization of them discovering each other was done meh, very predictable, but still poor Suguha.

The Forever Death penalty being removed wasn't as big an issue either, there was enough going on with Kirito's drive to find boring Asuna. As the series progressed I cared far less for her character. I did enjoy Kirito's drive to be with her, however. I would rather him had ended up with Suguha if they weren't cousins.

I also find it funny how Kayaba Akihiko kills about 4000 people, and Kirito doesn't really show immediate disdain towards him, rather he's a sort of Jedi counsel from the other world towards the end. I felt there would have been a more general hate toward him which never really came.

Hasn't it been said the LN's are still going on? or there's another MMO they're supposed to go to? Another season maybe, or do we think this is it?

So, yeah. Here's the new Suguha Alter I'm going to get :D

ztW3iOk.jpg

Nice that you enjoyed SAO.

Just so you know ,
klein couldn't have used the revival item because he was stunned ( unable to move, during the duel ) Just so you know in SAO when you die , you aren't killed instantly , there is a countdown before that happen ( so that someone can use the revival item ) the reason why asuna survived was because the game ended before that countdown finished.
Kirito did use his willpower to give the final blow to heathcliff,however.

Kayaba Akihiko is
despised by many but most of the player alive ( and i mean active players ) learned to accept SAO as their reality and thus don't show that much hate toward the guy, it's a different story for the famillies of those who have died but officcially the guy is not found so they have no one to point their hate toward.

Finally there is plenty of material to cover for at least 3 more seasons. It should happen soon since last time i checked , SAO novels are selling pretty well.

cajunator

Banned
Confession: I don't like FMA or Brotherhood. Gave them a shot. Just not for me.

I dont either really. Only seen first episode and didnt feel a need to continue it.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who just doesn't really like Shingeki outside of the few cool animation scenes. The premise is interesting but both the manga and the anime dilly dally so much that I just immediately lose motivation to care.

Same thing here. Watched two eps of AOT and didnt feel like continuing it.

Phi Brain 40

I saw so many death flags on the poor dog :(
I'm legit shook that the dog lived in the end
Rook solo episode was okay, focused too much on the girl and her dog. I'm incredibly sad that Melancholy played a rather small part in this episode despite being the "villain"

<3

Big hat lolis FTW. Lets make a fanclub!

Speaking of Netflix, did they just add a bunch of shows? I just checked and noticed stuff that wasn't there before like Welcome to the NHK and Tokyo Godfathers.

WAtch these two if you havent. they are absolutely fantastic. NHK especially.
One of those shows that was so good I marathoned it without pausing to do other things.

cajunator

Banned
Phi Brain 42

I had to stop and rewind to make a gif

Nau6qzH.gif

So adorbs :3

The rest of the episode was okay I guess, mostly revealing stuff we expected
that Kaito wasn't really a douche as a child the story is being over blown by the fake rings blah blah

oh my god.
OH MY HNNNNGING GOD

Henneko 12-fin
Hentai-Ouji-to-Warawanai-Neko-Episode-12-Image-0004.png

So like what the fuck. The time travel arc was actually really good. I was finishing the show up mostly out of obligation but the last arc was pretty good. The Emi arc was fucking terrible and made me think I was right in dropping the show but the time travel arc was handled in a pretty decent way and the twist at the end was overall satisfactory. I'm surprised.

I'm also impressed with the fact that the show had leads who actually kissed each other. How fucking rare is that?

Yall are trying to kill me with all the pictures. Its a conspiracy. This was a great series though. It was surprisingly excellent.
Some things werent resolved though so hopefully theres more to come.

Is that...ships? Those are ship-tans!

Anime gaf do you know what anime this is from:

645308-anime_gifs_4.gif

Brighter Than The Dawning Blue. Its decent.
It has Feena Fam Earthlight and shes a cutie.
Also the cabbage in my DVD copy does NOT look like a sphere. It looks like a cabbage.

I'd say the first season is pretty moe and has a pretty generic love story, while still having an enjoyable charm and its moments. But it's the After Story that really knocks the ball out of the park.

Free! Ep 12 [END]

The final episode definitely delivered on every single good aspect of this anime and managed to complete trump everything that came before it. The excellent story was essentially one of the storylines that I never thought would be tackled before in anime. Certainly the way it was handled was executed so well that it was potentially the most connected Ive ever been with characters in the entertainment media arena. The dialogue was also amazing.
tumblr_mtqc4gZEGa1suldqbo2_500.png
tumblr_mtqc4gZEGa1suldqbo3_500.png

The turmoil and challenges that Rin faced all throughout finally culminating in this final episode got to me real good
and made me cry quite hard there when all his anger flowed out. I just wanted to give him a hug or someone to give him a hug as he realized he may not potentially be able to swim there. I was prepared for a sad ending but then out of nowhere, Haru, of all characters, fortunately goes the extra mile to help him out and be the catalyst to push him forward. Delivering the true moment for the two without any Makoto involvement whatso ever was the most pleasing thing I could have ever asked for. Rin crying got me so much and then the canon moment there with them on top of each other and Rin's tears flowing onto Haru's face, and Haru helping pull him back together. Im just so glad Haru helped him make things happen and then the tearful hug and Haru's eyes.

I think its the capstone moment in storytelling in anime completely capturing the ideal friendship that is needed in modern times. Truly we need more pure heartfelt stories likes and I really hope we get to see more. Really amazing story and easily the best anime Ive ever watched honestly.

cajunator

Banned
Sword Art Online 25 and overall Final Impressions

I thought the series would take a huge dive when it went into the Fairy Dance, however I feel it added a lot of depth to the overall series. (Which wasn't all that deep to begin with.) We had a world with such huge promise. Then instead of cool action sequences going through tons of floors, we're skipping like 30 an episode. It was disappointing.

Asuna is soooooo boring. I can only imagine she hypnotized Kirito or something, because Lisbeth is season 1 goddess. Her episode was bY far my favorite of "season 1"

Still don't quite understand how Asuna wasn't dead forever as all her light disappeared. Then Kirito gets killed and quickly comes back strictly because of his will? Hmm. Did they forget that Klein has a Revival item the entire time? or did they just not animated that episode?

Anyway. to Fairy Dance. First of all, we (finally) get more Suguha, who is "goddess". You feel bad for her throughout, putting her feelings on the line only to get hurt several times. The way they handled the realization of them discovering each other was done meh, very predictable, but still poor Suguha.

The Forever Death penalty being removed wasn't as big an issue either, there was enough going on with Kirito's drive to find boring Asuna. As the series progressed I cared far less for her character. I did enjoy Kirito's drive to be with her, however. I would rather him had ended up with Suguha if they weren't cousins.

I also find it funny how Kayaba Akihiko kills about 4000 people, and Kirito doesn't really show immediate disdain towards him, rather he's a sort of Jedi counsel from the other world towards the end. I felt there would have been a more general hate toward him which never really came.

Hasn't it been said the LN's are still going on? or there's another MMO they're supposed to go to? Another season maybe, or do we think this is it?

So, yeah. Here's the new Suguha Alter I'm going to get :D

ztW3iOk.jpg

As much as I hate this show fervently, the first half was definitely at least watchable. You got best girl from season 1 correct but I havent seen S2 so I cant comment on Suguha. Shes cute but her boobs are too big, amongst other things.
And yes, Asuna is absolutely useless and a waste of screen time.

Oh, and I thought Klein was awesome. He deserved much more screen time!
Loved that we saw him in 25. :D

Klein and Lisbeth deserved a lot more time :(

Missed this. Yes, Makoto is goddess!

She is indeed!

I second this recommendation. It is a lot more exciting to watch, with better characters, a better story, better music, cuter girls, and an adorable little fat likeable protagonist.

Instantly favorited. Thanks!

cnet128

Banned

Random observation from a translation perspective: The specificity required by English grammar doesn't really do this exchange any favours. In Japanese there's no singular/plural distinction, so the first line could just as easily be "There are people you want to swim with, right?!" In other words, it's not clear whether it's "the team" as a whole that Haru wants to swim with, or someone more specific.

Which is why I feel there was a certain tension in this exchange in the original Japanese. With the deliberate vagueness in the way Rei phrases the question, I get the impression that, deep down, he was hoping that Haru would acknowledge him as one of the people he really wants to swim with. So when Haru responds that he wants to swim with Rin specifically, it feels like a bit of a rejection. But because Rei is such a bro, he was ready for that; he understands and accepts that it's Rin that's most important to Haru right now, so he makes the decision to gracefully step aside.

This tension seems to be kind of lost in the translation, since the singular usage in Rei's line implies that he's talking about one specific person from the start (and really, who else would it be?)

Ya know, I hear One Piece is really good....but dammit, I hate long ass series. Maybe I'll check out a few episodes.

FMA is good, and Bebop is always good. I bet everyone's glad Tenchi's gone for now.

Now is the time to jump into one piece it's 2 weeks away from the best arc of the entire series. Dunno how you feel about jumping into an anime 200 episodes in though.

cnet128

Banned
Now is the time to jump into one piece it's 2 weeks away from the best arc of the entire series. Dunno how you feel about jumping into an anime 200 episodes in though.

Yeah! Jump in right now! Make Foxy filler episodes your first experience of One Piece!

(There are definitely no flaws in this plan =p)

...Honestly I wouldn't advise anyone to jump into One Piece halfway through. It's definitely a series that's best experienced from the very beginning.

LayLa

Random 10 DVD Dregathon

DVD 08: The Tower of Druaga: The Sword of Uruk (2009) Episodes 5-8
Audio options: Sub & dub
Extras: None.

The only thing I knew about this before watching was that Tower of Druaga was a really old Famicom game, and the sequel game Quest of Ki nearly drove Arino insane when he marathoned it in Game Center CX. So what kind of anime can be made based on a pretty clunky 80s Famicom game? You do the only thing possible, make it exactly like a video game with a bunch of generic characters fighting through a different fantasy world each week (an ice world! a desert world!) looking for the exit to the next level. Throw in an overarching story about the end boss at the top of the tower and some rival factions vying to reach the top first and you've got one of the most generic fantasy animes possible.

But wait, this wasn't completely awful. I got Gonzo'd by Desert Punk (2004) and Witchblade (2006) earlier on in the Dregathon but this show is from 2009 and looks a bit better, with some visual inventiveness here and there.
Another thing that worked well were the robot killers chasing after our identikit heroes. These baddies had a genuine creepiness to them, from their scratchy metal voices to the unhinged childishness of the girl robot and her strange speech patterns.

WFcAIVl.jpg

I have. No idea. Creepy. Robot Girl.

So overall the generic fantasy anime that the title suggests, with a couple of ok ideas here and there.

Do I want to watch the rest? Nah, would rather play the janky Famicom game.
If only they'd made an anime based on Takeshi no Chosenjo instead: 3/10

Random 10 DVD Dregathon

Ah, I quite enjoyed this show. Assuming you haven't watched the first series, I can't remember if that would matter or not.

This was your last random DVD in the bundle right? Or do you have a few more pleasures left..

Just realised it was only episodes 5-8, that was never going to go well~!

BluWacky

Also the cabbage in my DVD copy does NOT look like a sphere. It looks like a cabbage.

They fixed it for home video, but the cabbage, like that one episode of Lost Universe with the crabs, will live on in infamy.

It's rare that a single moment should stand out, either negatively or positively, to be remembered more than the series that spawned it. There are plenty of :wonzo moments I remember (some corkers in early 00s Gonzo shows) but they're not my abiding memories of those shows in particular, whereas Yoake Mae... will always be "the cabbage anime" if it's remembered at all.

LayLa

Ah, I quite enjoyed this show. Assuming you haven't watched the first series, I can't remember if that would matter or not.

This was your last random DVD in the bundle right? Or do you have a few more pleasures left..

2 more to go. Just looked up who made DVD 09, what a surprise yet more Gonzo.

cajunator

Banned
They fixed it for home video, but the cabbage, like that one episode of Lost Universe with the crabs, will live on in infamy.

It's rare that a single moment should stand out, either negatively or positively, to be remembered more than the series that spawned it. There are plenty of :wonzo moments I remember (some corkers in early 00s Gonzo shows) but they're not my abiding memories of those shows in particular, whereas Yoake Mae... will always be "the cabbage anime" if it's remembered at all.

I guess I was the only one who remembered (and bought it) because of Feena and the show itself. Its a little romcom. Charming, if poorly produced.

Is this the one with that has that young blond girl wearing a incredibly skimpy sailor outfit whose art has been popping up on image sites like crazy? Rensouhou-chan is her name I believe.

I thought she was most well known as Shimakaze. Her outfit is amazing, like the god of lewd created it himself.

Tenumi

Banned
Yes! Pretty Cure 5: 21

Coco... Nuts.... Milk...

OK then.

Although, Milk is an absolute jerk this episode. Not a good first impression.

Joe Molotov

Random 10 DVD Dregathon

Tower of Druaga was okay, but it never lived up to the first episode which was amazing. Funi put the whole thing up on Youtube back when it came out, you should watch the first episode (and then nothing else).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsz3qnKI6z4

Wanted to start new shonen and tried Fairy Tail but 6 episodes in and It really hasn't hooked me yet. Has anyone here watched this? Does it get a lot better later on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom