• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fujoshis will pave the way of anime back to what we use to remember. Men with mussels

qu9pQNQ.jpg

Phi Brain 43

I don't even feel like I'm watching this anymore as much as I'm trying to find moments to gif Melancholy

rFhrioL.gif

a2QBikC.gif

I would post a 3rd best one of her laughing, but I'm having issues with Jasc getting rid of the subtitle text. I know there is a way to impose half a frame onto an earlier one but I can't figure out how :(

The actual episode was okay I guess, was surprise it took us 43 episodes to finally a river crossing puzzle.

Wanted to start new shonen and tried Fairy Tail but 6 episodes in and It really hasn't hooked me yet. Has anyone here watched this? Does it get a lot better later on?

It doesn't get A LOT better, but it definitely has its moments and some really creative fights later on. Stick with it if you want. I think around 25 is where you can drop it if you don't like it by then, but no shame in doing so before that.

sleepykyo

Random observation from a translation perspective: The specificity required by English grammar doesn't really do this exchange any favours. In Japanese there's no singular/plural distinction, so the first line could just as easily be "There are people you want to swim with, right?!" In other words, it's not clear whether it's "the team" as a whole that Haru wants to swim with, or someone more specific.

Which is why I feel there was a certain tension in this exchange in the original Japanese. With the deliberate vagueness in the way Rei phrases the question, I get the impression that, deep down, he was hoping that Haru would acknowledge him as one of the people he really wants to swim with. So when Haru responds that he wants to swim with Rin specifically, it feels like a bit of a rejection. But because Rei is such a bro, he was ready for that; he understands and accepts that it's Rin that's most important to Haru right now, so he makes the decision to gracefully step aside.

This tension seems to be kind of lost in the translation, since the singular usage in Rei's line implies that he's talking about one specific person from the start (and really, who else would it be?)

Glasses never win. Even childhood friend has better odds than glasses.

I think this season is pretty much over. Whats everyone's show of the season?

Mine is Servant x Service. Love Lab was close and Monogatari was a distant third.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Uchouten Kazoku, everything else is hot trash.

Tenumi

Banned
Revolutionary Girl Utena: 12

Depressed Utena made this episode depressing. Luckly a duel later and things are back to normal. Well, as normal as things in this show are. Maybe.

I think this season is pretty much over. Whats everyone's show of the season?

Mine is Servant x Service. Love Lab was close and Monogatari was a distant third.

Right now I'd have to say Genshiken Nidaime. In particular I really appreciate how the S1 cast has been integrated with the newer characters.

ReWatch Digimon Adventure 02: 1

Saw this on netflix so I decided to check this out, and man, it feels weird considering I'm use to the dub (obviously). Gatomon was pretty strange for me considering she has like the deepest voice out of everyone, also not sure how I dig the music on this. They made going to the digital world sound like you're on an elevator.

Anyway, it's like everything was already tightly knitted with each other already, so no need to do a "hey I'm this jackass, nice to meet you".

Not sure if this will be a serious rewatch though.

Articalys

Extended sales list:
Code:
2013 09/16~09/22 BD List
-- (*24)	---	*1,522	**1,522	**1	Rozen Maiden v2
-- (*25)	---	*1,428	**1,428	**1	Gin no Saji v1
-- (*26)	---	*1,256	**1,256	**1	Devil Survivor the Animation v4
-- (*28)	*22	*1,190	*35,629	**5	Shingeki no Kyojin v2
-- (*29)	---	*1,151	**1,151	**1	Photokano v4
-- (*31)	---	**,990	***,990	**1	Akisora ~Yume no Naka~
-- (*32)	---	**,946	***,946	**1	Ranma 1/2 BD Box
-- (*34)	---	**,908	***,908	**1	Fantasista Doll v1 
-- (*35)	*28	**,896	*48,718	*10	Shingeki no Kyojin v1
-- (*42)	---	**,717	***,717	**1	Makai Ouji devils and realist v1
-- (*45)	*12	**,641	*40,616	**4	To Aru Majutsu no Index Endymion no Kiseki LE 
-- (*46)	*31	**,638	392,057	*22	Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q (Evangelion 3.33)
-- (*52)	---	**,558	***,558	**1	Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku v1
-- (*57)	---	**,455	***,455	**1	Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou
-- (*67)	*38	**,377	*21,444	**4	Love Live! v6
-- (*69)	*18	**,362	**8,486	**5	Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai. BD Box LE
-- (*76)	*59	**,330	*89,603	**9	Gekijouban Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica: Hajimari no Monogatari / Eien no Monogatari LE
-- (*77)	*94	**,321	*30,331	*12	Code Geass Boukoku no Akito v1
-- (*80)	*36	**,311	*21,616	*46	Tonari no Totoro
-- (*83)	*65	**,303	*23,804	*14	Love Live! v4
-- (*88)	*46	**,286	*14,504	*10	Kurenai no Buta
-- (*89)	---	**,285	***,285	**1	Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge v4
-- (*91)	*45	**,272	*19,439	*39	Majo no Takkyuubin
-- (*94)	---	**,267	***,267	**1	Stella Jogakuin Kotouka C3-bu v1
-- (*97)	*90	**,256	*54,958	*13	ONE PIECE Film Z LE
-- (*99)	*60	**,251	*18,154	**4	Kidou Senshi Gundam BD Box
Updated Summer 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales list. Shows that were added this week are bolded:
28,852 *2 Free! [DVD+BD]: 2013/09/11
12,384 *3 Brothers Conflict [DVD+BD]: 2013/08/21 [event ticket effect]
*6,650 *3 Dangan Ronpa [DVD+BD]: 2013/08/28
*5,375 *3 Servant x Service [DVD+BD]: 2013/08/21
*3,691 *1 Love Lab [DVD+BD]: 2013/09/20
*2,601 *1 Gin no Saji [DVD+BD]: 2013/09/18
*2,370 *1 Makai Ouji devils and realist [DVD+BD]: 2013/09/18
*2,072 *2 Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen [DVD+BD]: 2013/08/30 [●]
**,908 *1 Fantasista Doll [DVD+BD]: 2013/09/20 [●]
**,809 *1 Genshiken Nidaime [BD]: 2013/09/04
**,558 *1 Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku [DVD+BD]: 2013/09/18 [●]
**,455 *1 Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou [DVD+BD]: 2013/09/20 [●]
**,267 *1 Stella Jogakuin Kotouka C3-bu [DVD+BD]: 2013/09/18 [●]

A dot means that DVD sales are missing/too low to chart
something said:
C3-Bu bombing phenomenally is all part of New Gainax's quest to make Manglobe look like a monumentally successful studio in comparison.
Summer of non-fujoshi bomba series. Though in what could be called a minor miracle, at least every show so far charted in some form during its first week...

jWILL253

Banned
Needs more specific >.<

Gimme a list of terms you want explaining and I'll gladly define them, but trawling through the whole OP and trying to guess at what words are confusing you doesn't sound like a fun job >.>

otaku
Hajime
DEEN
Yamauchi
yuri

Also that Fujoshi thing that was just mentioned.

As you can tell, I don't know shit about the Japanese language...

Seeing a lot of love here for Kiniro Mosaic. Going to have to get caught up on that, probably when I'm done watching my Hanasaku Iroha BD's and am caught up with Majestic Prince and Love Lab.

Extended sales list:

Updated Summer 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales list. Shows that were added this week are bolded:

Summer of non-fujoshi bomba series. Though in what could be called a minor miracle, at least every show so far charted in some form during its first week...

It's funny how Danganronpa can be considered the third or so top selling show of the season. :]

cnet128

Banned
otaku
Hajime
DEEN
Yamauchi
yuri

otaku: Japanese for "geek", generally used to refer to hardcore anime fans

Hajime: The lead character of Gatchaman Crowds. She's amazing.

DEEN: An animation studio whose shows are often considered to be of questionable quality.

Yamauchi: The Yamauchi you're looking at in the OP must be Yamauchi Shigeyasu, the guy who's directing Kimi no Iru Machi. Don't know that much about him, but I seem to recall he was the guy who directed a couple of episodes of Shin Sekai Yori that looked very...distinctive, so I can see why people might latch on to him.

yuri: Lesbian-themed manga or anime. Clearly the most beautiful and pure form of love. The male equivalent is yaoi.

Fujoshi: Girls who are really into yaoi. Often used to describe shows shamelessly aimed at this market, since it seems to be a remarkably lucrative one in recent years.

otaku
Hajime
DEEN
Yamauchi
yuri

Otaku: People generally refer to hardcore fans of Japanese nerd culture as these, but it can be a bit broader than that, which you don't need to know.
Hajime: Name of a character in Gatchaman Crowds
DEEN: An anime studio with a shaky reputation.
Yamauchi: Some director
Yuri: Lesbians

Visually most appealing show of the season: Uchoten Kazoku

Guilty pleasure show of the season: Blood Lad

Most fun I had with a show: Senyuu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom