• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You guys loved it when it first came out. You all forget.
Well the first episode didn't have much to really criticise, but I'm pretty sure silly nit picking questions were being asked from the get go.

The whole Beater incident of episode 2 (I am remembering this correctly right) was the starting point of the groaning so I'd say the love was never really there to begin with.

Unless you're confusing us all for kayos90.

CorvoSol

That episode was so good that you should really watch that episode, and episode 17 beforehand. Those are the only two I can whole heatedly recommend. I wouldn't necessarily recommend picking up the whole series because when you dropped it you probably dropped it for good reason.

Then again, many of the problems with watching the series (e.g. the pacing issues) are resolved when you watch it in the marathon format because every time (and I meant every time) you realise nothing is happening you can just just two minutes ahead which works wonders. So if you do need to see the whole story that's my preferred way of doing it.

Well, I'll give it a whirl, then. I think I'll watch the Star Driver movie to just bypass the series, since that sounds like the way to go, I'll skim AoT, and I still have to check out FMA.

Normally I would agree with you but Armin's actually being a bit of a boss in the last two episodes.

Well, now I'll really actually have to see.

Let me help:

I wish to make it known that I feel like Firehawk went easy on the show in that statement.

Somehow, somewhere, CorvoSol just burst a vein.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD ZEROSHIKI!
No but seriously, of all the characters, why the brother-fucking bitch king of Angmar? Sugu is so baaaaaaad. This is like saying Scrappy Doo or Lisa Simpson is your favorite.

Means roughly "how about this". I imagine the reason why it's usually busty women saying it is because it sounds vaguely...provocative.

Thanks. That makes sense. I also figure "Ikei" means something like "take that!" and that "Ora" means like, "C'mon" or something.

Most of my knowledge of Japanese words comes from what people shout when they fight, haha.

cnet128

Banned
I thought she was most well known as Shimakaze. Her outfit is amazing, like the god of lewd created it himself.

As far as I can discern, Shimakaze is the name of the girl. Rensouhou-chan is the name of her three mascot-like sidekicks (they're supposed to be the main cannons of the Shimakaze battleship that she's based on).

Yes! Pretty Cure 5: 21

Coco... Nuts.... Milk...

OK then.

Although, Milk is an absolute jerk this episode. Not a good first impression.

Milk is a massive tsundere. She's also adorable. (I agree that she doesn't give a great first impression, though.)

Nothing changed much from High school to College to start posting on Gaf to working. I never was bullied because there was a guy more nerd than I, I played soccer and most of the time people would ignore me, unless they needed answers to exercicies. My seat was the in front of the teacher desk, by the window, so the only people who could talk to me were behind me or at my right side. There was a group who stood around me, and when I finished High school I said to them, "Good bye, we are never going to see each other again, you guys don't need answers anymore" and they said, "No, we are still going to see each other". It's been 6 years and I haven't see any of them. I can count in one hand the friends that still visit/kept contact.
If I had to say I'm an anime character I would be a mix between Hachiman, Hanekawa and Tomoko. Like Hachiman I like being alone,
and already accepted the fact that I'm going to die alone.
And to finish, at College, on Gaf and at work I'm ignored all the time. Nothing has really changed.

Now for a triple combo:

Syrinx (Jexhius too ò.ó) watch episode 40 of #. It's very good!
Kirbyguy watch episode 40 of Mo~tto!. It's very good!
Hitokage watch episode 40 of Dokka~n!. It's very good!

Wanted to start new shonen and tried Fairy Tail but 6 episodes in and It really hasn't hooked me yet. Has anyone here watched this? Does it get a lot better later on?

I think that fairy tail has a very bad start..it does get better afterward so you might give it more episodes.i don't think the main team is made yet , so you might wait untill you find either a character in it that you like, or when the team chemistry will change a little.

Fairy tail is about adventure and plot haxxor ( escuse me i mean friendship power )

Wanted to start new shonen and tried Fairy Tail but 6 episodes in and It really hasn't hooked me yet. Has anyone here watched this? Does it get a lot better later on?

Fairy Tale is truly the definition of standard shonen. It's entertaining if you can accept shonen at it's most basic level. It's never truly great or truly terrible, I enjoy it for what it is though.

Tenumi

Banned
Infinite Stratos: 03

zk5O6qh.jpg

That, is the look of some girls mad that their crush is paying too much attention to the "new" girl.

Hurray for some background development as well as character development. Been a pleasant watch so far, pretty good all around.

Toei , for gods sake , why are you spoiling the content and the twists of your episode in the episode title ?

You just ruin the moment ... now i'm stuck in this weird state where i know that the twist is coming yet i'm seeing characters that think they'll be fine when i know ( from the title of the ep ) that they won't .

This sort of thing just kill the viewing pleasure.

Is there NO one in the boradcasting station who cares ? no one at toei , either ? what about the planning staff ?

One Piece - Episode of Nami

I started watching this because I was bored, and I have to say that I was glad I was bored. It was a really nice special, and really summed up the Arlong Arc in a nutshell. It took all the comedy parts of the arc out like when Luffy put Arlong's teeth in his mouth or Usopp being chased by Choo for a very long time (they shortened this part up a ton which I'm glad because it lasted like 2-3 episodes). I kinda liked that to be honest, it really made it more dramatic and powerful.

Animation was really good, and holy moly at that Sanji kicking part. They really outdid themselves on Sanji and Zoro's final attacks on their fights! Luffy's looked cool too, actually his was the best.

Sometimes I always forget just how bad Nami's past is, but seeing this really reminded me of that.

I think that fairy tail has a very bad start..it does get better afterward so you might give it more episodes.i don't think the main team is made yet , so you might wait untill you find either a character in it that you like, or when the team chemistry will change a little.

Fairy tail is about adventure and plot haxxor ( escuse me i mean friendship power )

Fairy Tale is truly the definition of standard shonen. It's entertaining if you can accept shonen at it's most basic level. It's never truly great or truly terrible, I enjoy it for what it is though.

Thanks. Maybe I will continue to watch this for a while.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I heard Clannad was a good series. But I dislike moe. Will I like Clannad? Is it overly moe? Or just a tad? I didn't like Air at all. I disliked Tamayura because of the moe at the end of ova 1.

Clannad is a generic, if well executed, school romantic comedy show. It's not bad but the second season, Clannad: After Story kicks shit into high gear and gets really really good.

SAINT SEYA OMEGA - 72

So as i was saying before , toei , don't put the twist of your episode in the episode title !
It makes no sense.
Saint%20Seiya%20Omega%20-%2072_03.jpg

Isn't it time that you go back to dokidoki precure, regina ?
SO after a Loooooong serie of 20 episodes featuring subaru ( 20 dammit ) , he finally managed to grow up. I don't think he'll change that much but i'll be able to tolerate him if he "FINALLY" become usefull at least.

This episode is a moment to rejoice , the steel saints are no more, the idioctic side character, those stupid "below-than-foot-soldiers" characters are nowhere to be seen and it feels good now.

So finally , finally the clean-up is done

Saint%20Seiya%20Omega%20-%2072_01.jpg

I think this guy is angry

I cannot help but think that this part with HATI in pallas - city was a waste of time, maybe not the previous episode , but this episode sure felt like it. at least his defeat was incredibly satisfying..I get it that he was wounded in his pride , but he was wasting time and the fight in itself felt like a shore and was almost ruined by subaru pathetic state EVEN if this time it was in order to increase his character develloppement.

Now subaru , i should check and put a mark on my calendar because , for the second time since SSO 2nd season started , subaru wasn't a dick , wasn't provoking anyone or anything and wasn't an idiot ... This is Rare enough that it should be noted and praised

Saint%20Seiya%20Omega%20-%2072_02.jpg

Dramatical moment and plot decision well done but ruined by title spoiler ... well done Toei.

It's trully a breath of fresh air to see that , unfortunatly , this mean that someone has to die... i guess by now it's a setup of his character ... if subaru isn't a dick , then someone in his vicinity will die..it's like a rule, an unexplicable fate...no wonder you act like a jerk 99% of the time.( or else the entire cast would be dead ). This also could be a case of bad writting by toei

This episode was also a big return to the " if anything else fails, just burn your cosmo" rule... i was thinking everyone had forgotten about that .. Yes , the solution is ALWAYS to burn your cosmo if you're in a danger.

Now that would have been my impression on this episode of SSO if the last seconds of the show were different..
Now there is no way subaru won't follow the group , i'm just wondering how they will nerf him next, because let's face it , this was a fine display of power but i'm unsure if he won't just drag everyone else down again ..Next week we'll have our answer and i HOPE , i seriously hope we won't have a flashback episode ( they better not do that )

...Honestly I wouldn't advise anyone to jump into One Piece halfway through. It's definitely a series that's best experienced from the very beginning.

Seems like an almost impossible task, but I'm considering doing just that. If I start now I might even be able to get caught up by the time I reach retirement age.

cnet128

Banned
Seems like an almost impossible task, but I'm considering doing just that. If I start now I might even be able to get caught up by the time I reach retirement age.

You say that, but I've basically watched through One Piece from beginning to end twice. Once on my own, and again when I introduced my brother to the series. Of course this was quite a few years ago and the series was probably about half the length at the time, but still.

Ah, to be a student with near-infinite supplies of free time again.

(To be fair, when you get into the latter half of the series, the pacing takes a dive and you may be better off just switching to the manga. Which would significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to catch up.)

You say that, but I've basically watched through One Piece from beginning to end twice. Once on my own, and again when I introduced my brother to the series. Of course this was quite a few years ago and the series was probably about half the length at the time, but still.

Ah, to be a student with near-infinite supplies of free time again.

(To be fair, when you get into the latter half of the series, the pacing takes a dive and you may be better off just switching to the manga. Which would significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to catch up.)

Probably will do something like an episode a day approach, at least until it hooks me. At the very least it'll give me some context for whenever I get around to playing the One Piece Musou games.

Articalys

Oh, and it seems that due to having nine BD volumes solicited, upcoming P.A. works show Nagi no Asukara is pretty much confirmed to be two seasons long.

Nafe

Happy Birthday to hosannainexcelsis!
If my memory is correct from last year, then I believe it's also icarus's birthday. Happy Birthday to you too icarus!
Have a good one you too.

---

Man. Those skin-tight suits are still so lewd, considering that the men don't have to wear anything like them. :p

Also, getting Jexhius to finally watch the show is a victory in itself, given he's probably the one person here that I know would definitely appreciate it!

It's kind of like Star Trek in that way I guess. Ladies of the future need sexy outfits or something, haha. At least they're not as weird looking as the outfits in Gunbuster. It was a thing for a lot of 80s science fiction shows to show girls wearing some kind of space bathing suit as a future fashion it seemed.

It's the old retro theme song. It's funny though, if you actually pay attention to the lyrics, you come to realize how cheesy the song can be despite how much bravado it seems to have.

Just listen to the English version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMcrep48Wz0

Our Starblazeeeers lol

Ah, so it is. I thought it was maybe inspired by and made to be like an old song but I guess they just reused the old one with new people singing. I think that's what's happening with the new Sailor Moon, where they are using Moonlight Densetsu but that Momo Clover Z group is singing it.

Yeah, the lyrics can be kind of silly if you actually pay attention to them but it still works and kind of gets you in the mood of the show,haha.

I can't really tell who is watching it here, but given that no one really posts about it, and I think I am the only one watching the TV broadcasts at the moment (with the shitty TV theme song), I think it's safe to say that it's dead. lol
Maybe if Starblazers becomes a thing, it'll get an OT from all the old nerds on GAF.

Time Jam is based on a French comic and the cartoon was actually made for France. But it's animated by a Japanese studio, so I guess that's why Crunchyroll picked it up. But it's a very classic/retro science fiction series, with simple stock characters and simple stock adventures. For me, it's fairly nostalgic. The characters are fun at least!

Yeah, I was wondering if there was maybe an OT made for it before that I had missed on initially. Maybe I'll start posting some impressions to get more people aware of it. At the same time though it's like I can't because I'm too busy wanting to watch the next episode,haha.

Actually, talking about that Time Jam and it being a bit retro, it reminds me of the earlier conversation where people where talking about elements of science fiction and "hard" sci-fi and such.

It's kind of funny how sort of a mixed bag Yamato 2199 is. Since it seems to more or less be a re-make of an older show but with more modern visuals and effects I could forgive some more retro plot points. The show does things however like giving the hayabusa fighters, or even the Yamato itself, little jets on the sides for course corrections because you can't "fly" in space like you can in the sky on Earth.

That, or when they get so far they have that they are actually seeing the Earth as it was three years ago because they are three light years away. Later in the same episode though they communicate in real time with people back on Earth,haha. I forget but I think they might have activated some special device to do that just like Star Trek kind of washes over that. That's why I like Xenosaga and they at least try to explain that by using an Unus Mundus Network.

It makes sense that you'd take whatever jobs you can get. And the industry is probably small enough that if you are a voice actor based in Tokyo and have representation, you probably can get some bones thrown at you. Bonus points because apparently the Japanese, like Americans, hate subtitles and want all their things dubbed into their local language.

You can see how it breaks down when English dubs of live action movies in America turn out to be such shit because they basically use the cheapest voice over actors possible. I almost hope that The Grandmaster has an English dub whenever it comes out on disc here. lol

When I was younger I didn't like subtitles but now I want whatever show to be in its original native language with subtitles. Usually because dubs are so bad or you can miss nuances.

Haha, that reminds me of video games and sound alike's who sound nothing like whoever.
"Hey, the Carrie Fisher sound alike couldn't make it in to voice the lines for Leia."
"Ah, whatever. Just have the Harrsion Ford guy do them then."

That, or a company uses up all their budget to hire some actor/actress and now they have no money for anything else.

Absolutely not, none of that drivel for me, only pure tea drinking for me. * goes back to admire his Yoko figure.*

Boo! It's not drivel. :(
Yamato 2199 is good! You should watch it. :)

cajunator

Banned
Infinite Stratos: 03

That, is the look of some girls mad that their crush is paying too much attention to the "new" girl.

Hurray for some background development as well as character development. Been a pleasant watch so far, pretty good all around.

You can almost see the protags brain degenerating as the show goes on.

SAINT SEYA OMEGA - 72

So as i was saying before , toei , don't put the twist of your episode in the episode title !
It makes no sense.

SO after a Loooooong serie of 20 episodes featuring subaru ( 20 dammit ) , he finally managed to grow up. I don't think he'll change that much but i'll be able to tolerate him if he "FINALLY" become usefull at least.

This episode is a moment to rejoice , the steel saints are no more, the idioctic side character, those stupid "below-than-foot-soldiers" characters are nowhere to be seen and it feels good now.

So finally , finally the clean-up is done

I cannot help but think that this part with HATI in pallas - city was a waste of time, maybe not the previous episode , but this episode sure felt like it. at least his defeat was incredibly satisfying..I get it that he was wounded in his pride , but he was wasting time and the fight in itself felt like a shore and was almost ruined by subaru pathetic state EVEN if this time it was in order to increase his character develloppement.

Now subaru , i should check and put a mark on my calendar because , for the second time since SSO 2nd season started , subaru wasn't a dick , wasn't provoking anyone or anything and wasn't an idiot ... This is Rare enough that it should be noted and praised

It's trully a breath of fresh air to see that , unfortunatly , this mean that someone has to die... i guess by now it's a setup of his character ... if subaru isn't a dick , then someone in his vicinity will die..it's like a rule, an unexplicable fate...no wonder you act like a jerk 99% of the time.( or else the entire cast would be dead ). This also could be a case of bad writting by toei

This episode was also a big return to the " if anything else fails, just burn your cosmo" rule... i was thinking everyone had forgotten about that .. Yes , the solution is ALWAYS to burn your cosmo if you're in a danger.

Now that would have been my impression on this episode of SSO if the last seconds of the show were different..
Now there is no way subaru won't follow the group , i'm just wondering how they will nerf him next, because let's face it , this was a fine display of power but i'm unsure if he won't just drag everyone else down again ..Next week we'll have our answer and i HOPE , i seriously hope we won't have a flashback episode ( they better not do that )

OMG she does look like regina! Cutie!

If my memory is correct from last year, then I believe it's also icarus's birthday. Happy Birthday to you too icarus!
Have a good one you too.

Happy birthday yall! Also Im pretty sure Chet Rippos birthday is very soon as well.

Have a good one you too.

Happy Birthday icarus and hosannainexcelsis.
-

Ah and more Yamato 2199 posts, good series. Guess Im waiting on the bds of the final four episodes. Hope it ends good and promises more maybe.

jWILL253

Banned
So, I've always been into anime, but more in a general sense of watching all the anime that broadcasts on major American networks. I'm now trying to get more into anime as a whole, as I've even stopped watching English dubs. Still, I don't know much of the terminology used in this thread.

I only understand what loli and moe is. I don't want to bother anyone, but if someone can explain some of the terminology, I would greatly appreciate it...

Tenumi

Banned
Infinite Stratos: 04

Finally, Plot development! A cool fight with a mysterious unmanned unit, and character bonding. Next up, the debut of "Charles"...

cnet128

Banned
Happy birthday, icarus and hosanna! (That's certainly an...angelic-sounding pair of names.)

So, I've always been into anime, but more in a general sense of watching all the anime that broadcasts on major American networks. I'm now trying to get more into anime as a whole, as I've even stopped watching English dubs. Still, I don't know much of the terminology used in this thread.

I only understand what loli and moe is. I don't want to bother anyone, but if someone can explain some of the terminology, I would greatly appreciate it...

Well, uhhhh...what terms do you want to know about?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kiniro Mosaic - 06

This episode was full of cute , so much that i think cajun would have fainted.

I think sdburton would have loved the second half ... This isn't frienship , this is much better.

Oh I did! Currently on episode 9 or 10 atm. I need to finish that up.

mhs004

All you need to know is
Fujoshi=bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom