• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Senki Zesshou Symphogear G
Should've Brought a Poet

I had forgotten how much fun Symphogear was. Upon seeing it back, that special combination of music (and therefore plentiful character songs), mechanized magical girls, and a slight bit of chuunibyou action make for something that anime as a medium alone can best express. The first season resolved a lot of its issues already, and any sequel would have to up the stakes. And it did, and was even better for it.

Starting with a death and ending with
a battle in space
seems to be how these things go. The road to get there, though. Symphogear is a show that has a lot of twists, and almost every episode ends on a cliffhanger. While not a whole lot happens in each episode, I thought the series gave enough screentime between everybody to ensure that the stakes in those fight scenes were earned. In many ways, this looked to be Maria's season. Tsubasa and Chris were mostly getting used to a more normal school life (though dere Chris is adorable), and Hibiki's issues were resolved partway through the season. She's too happy go lucky, the glue that holds everyone together.

A good story is defined by its antagonists. Shirabe and Kirika were just as interesting as Maria, especially as the season wore on. The choice of VAs was also inspired. Nanjou, Kayano (she's in everything, isn't she?) and of course Yoko Hikasa all had some very powerful songs. Like I said back in Illya, if a magical girl series didn't involve an enemy becoming a friend by the end of the season, it wouldn't feel right.
Though I didn't see the Miku twist coming. Even if it only lasted for one episode, that was an intense way to raise the stakes. Hibiki's friends did feel a little more important to the action this time around - especially since Miku was the one who saved the day in the very last scene.

While there are other shows I liked better, this one had the best action of the season. Seeing all those suits twist and turn and combine and enlarge and make new weapons out of their parts is incredible. It appeals to the magical girl fan and the mecha fan in me.
The giant robot summoned in the finale, and Hibiki and Maria's giant fists of justice, too.
Then there's the transformation sequences. Those were some of the most beautifully animated things this season. Fluid, unique and featuring plenty of parts snapping onto other parts. Knowing that things like Chris' "Bakyu~n" were ad-libbed is awesome. Goes a long way towards making her even more dere. Even when she's fighting by releasing all of her armor until she's nude. It only lasts for a moment, but I'm okay with it.

Dr. Ver was a bit on the cartoonish side, but all of Symphogear seems to be rooted in fast-paced action. The school festival episode was really the only time there was some downtime - and yet it was one of my favorite episodes. That performance of "Lighting Detective Ban" was right up there with Potte and Kanae's "Momoneko Ondo" - even though those songs couldn't more different musically or tonally.

I thought everything in the story was foreshadowed well enough, and it built on the concepts of the previous season while developing its new characters. And the music was fantastic as always. The opening, the ending, every song that they played in the show. Though once again, the Lightning Detective stands above the rest. Have you read the show's history on the Symphogear website? It's a fascinating study.

I wouldn't mind a third season, though I'm not sure where else the concept could go. This is entertainment, but it's high quality entertainment. Is that also art? Don't know, don't care, but it has a lot of rewatch (and relisten) value.

Final Thoughts: Awesome music, awesome transformation sequences, more hints of yuri and Lightning Detective Ban. Not as heavy on the death toll as the first season, with more of a focus on friendship. Maybe that works for you, maybe it doesn't. But I had a great time with it.

I just started watching this about an hour ago. Hoping it improves, since it seems pretty unremarkable so far.

One of the major unremarkable things about Minami-ke is how the series has not been licensed for a North American release. Could licensing the four seasons and three OVAs be a large hurdle to overcome with four different studios working on each individual season?

Extended sales list:
Code:
2013 09/16~09/22 BD List
Updated Summer 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales list.  Shows that were added this week are bolded:
28,852 *2 Free! [DVD+BD]: 2013/09/11
12,384 *3 Brothers Conflict [DVD+BD]: 2013/08/21 [event ticket effect]
*2,370 *1 Makai Ouji devils and realist [DVD+BD]: 2013/09/18

Summer of non-fujoshi bomba series.  Though in what could be called a minor miracle, at least every show so far charted in some form during its first week...[/QUOTE]

Well at least Makai Ouji has some fandom, I hope they continue to make goods so I can buy them. Wont be getting BroCon anime but wouldnt mind buying Futo stuff, and Free, second season in a row in which one of my favorite shows is in 1st or 2nd place. Hopefully next season repeats it with Samumenco or Meganebu!...

Subject to change based upon final episodes, also I'm only counting episodes that aired during the summer season for shows that continued from spring

Summer 2013

1. Gatchaman Crowds
2. Silver Spoon
3. Blood Lad
4. Sunday Without God
5. MJP
6. Senyu
7. Attack on Titan
8. Day Break Illusion
9. Fantasita Doll
10. Devils and Realist

Dropped: Watamote, Gifu Dono, Danganronpa (will play game instead)
Still plan to watch: Rozen Maiden

Serious

I wouldn't mind a third season, though I'm not sure where else the concept could go.

There's still the Custodians. As for the
Treasury of Babylon, while we need subs to properly figure out what happened there (and with the moon for that matter), just because Solomon's Cane is gone doesn't mean that there can't be another way to open the gate
. In any case, the CDs are doing great, the volume 1 ranking is good (and that's before any post-finale bump), and Nana would like to do a third season.

Anime's I've watched this season:
- Blood Lad
- Watamote
- Silver Spoon
- Dog & Scissors
- TWGOK 3

My Top this season:
1) Blood Lad
2) Silver Spoon
3) Watamote

Dropped:
- TWGOK 3
- Dog & Scissors

I haven't finished any of these anime yet (especially Silver Spoon which I'm on episode 4 right now), but these are my top at the moment. I can't see my top list changing either since Blood Lad's action will keep it at #1 for me, and Silver Spoon's comedy seems a little bit more for me then Watamote's (I read the Watamote manga so I know what to expect anyways).

Was kind of a bad season for me but Blood Lad was redeeming for me. I'm hoping Blazblue, Magi, and Kuroko No Basket will impress me next season.

ReWatch Digimon Adventure 02: 2-3

Well they didn't waste five episodes getting everyone together at least. Precure could learn something from this. Maybe.

Anyway, Kaiser is Ken okay. And he's obviously a jackass. Kicks dogs like it's nothing. Animation sure is wonky though, but it probably didn't matter to kids, and it's more animated than Sailor Moon at least (for action). When shall Daisuke's/Davis's love boner for Hikari bloom again? Too many times. Not really sure how far I'll go. Maybe half season since it's downhill from there.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Diabolik Lovers Episode 2 Yea, two episodes in and this is a very strong contender for WAOTY 2013 as this is like watching an undignified version of True Blood. Yes, it is that bad. Seriously, do women go in for this shit, because this show very obviously hates women with a passion, the only passion it has shown thus far.

Soma

I think this season is pretty much over. Whats everyone's show of the season?

Mine is Servant x Service. Love Lab was close and Monogatari was a distant third.

Uchouten Kazoku has been the most consistently enjoyable show of the season for me. Love Lab and Silver Spoon have also been really great and I'm about halfway through the new Rozen Maiden which is also very well made and enjoyable. Teekyuu S2 also owned.

I wanted to finish Gatchaman Crowds but every time I try to watch an episode I just can't get into it, unfortunately. I also want to catch up on Monogatari S2 but I feel like I'm missing a lot of pieces having not read anything from Kizu. :/

1) Attack on Titan
2) Servant x service
3) Love Lab
4) Silver Spoon
5)TWGOK 3
6) Free
7) Railgun S (this filler arc after Sister arc has been horrible)

cnet128

Banned
otaku - shut-in
Hajime - fuck if I know
DEEN - hallowed makers of Angel's Egg, the world's most fabulous anime
Yamauchi - former president of Nintendo
yuri - a type of flower known in English as a 'lily'
fujoshi - category of female fan that intimidates and terrifies nohomo types

*slow clap*

Danganronpa 13 END

Well, damn. I think that might have actually been a...good episode.

For all that this series raped its source material, at least it got the ending right.

And lol @
Monomi after the credits. Hells no you're not making a second series of this tripe.

Pooya

Summer 2013 was mediocre overall, the only show I finished was Free! which was awful after the half way point, I don't know why I finished it. I watched part of almost everything else, nothing really grabbed me.

• Silver Spoon? ugly Zzz, no amount of pizza could keep me interested.
  • GC? ugly Zzz, well maybe not Zzz but not my thing.
  • Uchoten Kazoku? This was visually interesting, maybe I give it another go at some point. Not feeling it now.
  • Stella something Gainax is dead - ugly, boring, mess.
  • Rozen Maiden - This was actually the most well made one of the bunch imo, I'm just not interested in dolls.
  • Monogatari S2 - I was actually somewhat of a fan of this series, but I haven't watched it past the 3rd episode, I think I'm done with this thing for the time being. Reading it seems better than watching all the lewd.
  • Fate/Illya - So hideous and lewd, I can't stand this thing.
  • Love Lab - Too cute for me, sorry cajun.
  • Attack on Titan - I haven't watched the last 3 episodes, I was still pretty interested actually despite all the problems, maybe after last episode comes out, I go and catch up.
  • DanganRonpa - just play the game, pointless.
there was probably other stuff I watched too that I don't remember at all, probably a sign how good/bad they were :p

yeah, I think this was a dreadful season for me, it was actually looking good at first but now I don't think any show from this season will be remembered one year from now. Now Summer 2012 on the other hand was very memorable. Right now I'm only thinking of new shows in Fall, hoping one show at least ends up exciting.

Think I watched Uchoten Kazoku, Love Lab, Kiniro Mosaic, and Rozen Maiden 2013.

RM was a surprise for me frankly. Could be my pick for the summer.

I recommend reading the novel too if you can find it for a good price!

I actually managed to snag it from RightStuf a year ago for $30, which isn't too bad considering it's out of print, and the going rate on eBay at the time was ridiculous (it probably still is).

It was alright. I think there were some things the anime did better (I liked the Amway parody a lot, and was kinda sad to find that wasn't in the novel), and I'm sort of on the fence about the presence of translator's notes (which I found to be a bit odd for a translation of a novel). The prose was on the clunky side, but on occasion, it had some decent passages. I know it's not exactly a book you read for the author's prose stylings, but I was disappointed. I'm sort of curious as to how much of a hand the translator had in it; I know Tokyopop was kind of notorious for poor translation quality (which is possibly due to the fact that they allegedly hired students to do it for really cheap), so I guess it's a possibility. Maybe I'll read it in Japanese when and if I ever achieve fluency and try to compare the original text to the translation.

e_i

Oh, hurrah! Chronicles of the Going Home Club aired this week. I wonder if it'll finish before the year is out.

LayLa

Shows that I genuinely anticipated the next episode of: Eccentric Family, Silver Spoon (but only from about halfway through)
Shows where I watched the current episode at some point within the week of airing: Monogatari, Genshiken, SxS, Tamayura
Shows that I will probably watch to the end at some point but eh you know: Gatchaman, Railgun, Blood Lad

not really that hyped for next season, hopefully there are some shows that surprise me by being good

Mine is Servant x Service. Love Lab was close and Monogatari was a distant third.

Of the stuff I'm actually current on, Servant x Service and Monogatari are about tied. I'm pretty sure I'll like Uchouten Kazoku more whenever I get around to catching up/finishing it (which should be soon, because I've been bored lately).

ReWatch Digimon Adventure 02: 04

Lets throw Daisuke under a bus and treat him like shit. Kari hates you for shitting on your sister and so does Matt. Time to put your sister to the test man.

There's a shit ton of animal abuse up in here.

jWILL253

Banned
I just wanna say that Sword Art Online is the worst anime I've ever seen.

The first 15 or so episodes were mediocre, but enjoyable. But man, did that shit take such a completely awkward turn for the worst mid-season...

Joe Molotov

Shows of the Season
Watamote
Kinmoza

Show That Were Kinda Good But Then I Forgot to Watch Them
ServantxService
Silver Spoon
Love Lab
C3-bu

Shit bin
Everything else

cnet128

Banned
I just wanna say that Sword Art Online is the worst anime I've ever seen.

The first 15 or so episodes were mediocre, but enjoyable. But man, did that shit take such a completely awkward turn for the worst mid-season...

Tut, tut, tut. I disapprove of your opinion.

(But don't worry, you'll find most of the thread agrees with you on this one. Rather too vehemently, if anything.)

I watched nothing from this season. I'm a bad AnimeGAFfer.

You should correct that by watching the three best shows of the season. Marathon Free! (I was going to maybe do that this weekend) since its quite good, then watch Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist for a nice take on unique and original action, and then top it off by watching, Day Break Illusion for best antagonist of the season.

BluWacky

I have only watched Rozen Maiden this season, and I have mostly enjoyed it. It's not been the series I was expecting - I thought it would be a remake! - and it's mostly been all the better for it. I've enjoyed the look at adult Jun, and the series has done some fantastic stuff visually with Kirakisho, but I miss the battles from the older series. I'll probably watch the last two episodes back to back.

Thanks to everyone in the thread who recommended sticking with it, as I would never have bothered otherwise. For whatever reason I didn't enjoy the first episode of Silver Spoon very much and Gatchaman Crowds was just "too much" for me, so I'm glad I found something to watch this season.

jWILL253

Banned
Tut, tut, tut. I disapprove of your opinion.

(But don't worry, you'll find most of the thread agrees with you on this one. Rather too vehemently, if anything.)

I mean, I'm just referring to a typical boy meets girl love story with a tiny bit of loli sprinkled on top, that turned into a weird incestual desire plot while still remaining a boy meets girl love story with a little more loli sprinkled on top.

That's before we talk about the weird cyber-orphan adopted daughter...

Midonin

Servant x Service
Age is Only a Number

I admit, I was slightly cautious going into this because even if the setting has adult characters, I didn't want it to be hyped up only for that. Being different can only take you so far. Also, I feared it might be boring, not fun. Youthful energy is one of the things I really like about anime. What convinced me to watch it was the author's previous work, and the very presence of Magical Flowers. Particularly the wonderful April Fools' joke. They mimicked Toei's Precure site perfectly. I can't wait for the drama CD. Having one of the final shots in the show be
Chihaya finally getting everyone in cosplay
was a nice cap to that running storyline.

Though what I want to do here is pick apart Karino Takatsu's writing habits. Once you have more than one work by a writer, it's easy to see their fetishes and favorite themes they return to. I shall begin with the most noticeable. Takatsu really has a thing for huge boobs on characters who otherwise wouldn't be thought to have them. Popura's face and body contrasting with her chest was the thing of many jokes, and Lucy looks plain, with only her ahoge and her boobs of indeterminate but hefty size standing out. It wasn't always the same joke, either. Things like the boss being distracted by a "bump" or breaking the zipper on the sweater. Takatsu knows her way around a pair of boobs.

This is also my fetish. In making her plain, Lucy's character design actually hit that sweet spot between generic and unique. I also like that she was the protagonist instead of Hasebe. Ai Kayano did a great job.

Another thing Takatsu has a thing for is families with quirky sisters. Kaoru and Toko, of course, can easily be compared to Souta's four sisters, and though she's a main cast member, Yamada, too, I suppose. Also a thing for strange bosses (Otoo and Momoi do have a fair bit in common, both being bosses frequently unseen). Though a lot of these elements could be in any workplace comedy, the way the joke execution is carried is done in a way that could only come from her.

And all the romantic tensions. I will give Servant x Service this over WORKING!!. While the latter had Souta/Inami take up much of its romantic development time, here, Ichimiya/Chihaya, Miyoshi/Tanaka and Lucy/Hasebe all got fairly equal screentime in their personal troubles, though the focus was always more on jokes than romantic development, which I prefer. I don't mind love drama, but I like love comedy even more. And then there are the oddball relationships like Ichimiya/Toko and Chihaya/Lucy. The final episode was a little more serious, but even then, the jokes kept flowing between the various couples.

Megumi Chihaya. Lucy made a strong first impression, but she is the character of the show for me. Otaku stand-in, magical girl fan, cosplay enthusiast and she gets a fair amount of yuri hints with Lucy. Plus, deadpan Aki Toyosaki is a nice change of pace from her usual roles. Natsuiro Kiseki and Nekogami Yaoyorozu are the only other deadpan Toyosaki roles that come to mind, but those (except maybe Rin) didn't grab my attention as quickly as she did.

The comedic timing was always pretty nice, and the running gags kept escalating and overlapping in new ways. Every side character, even ones like granny Tanaka, got some of their personal history revealed, but never too much. Focused on for only as long as it needs to set up the joke. The characters really do have the same mentality as those in WORKING!!. They could be placed in a school setting or something, but even the scenes in their homes and out and about in the city were being driven based on their established personalities.

The OP was insanely catchy, as much as "SOMEONE ELSE", and the visual effects used for it were pretty nifty, a nice blending of real life and animation. The ED was relaxing and smooth. Both were easy listens. The Servant Quizzes were also a lot of fun. Starting off with puns and slowly transitioning into nonsense (and fanservice!).

Final Thoughts: You're never too old to do silly things and get laughs, or to be a magical girl/cosplay otaku, or for boob jokes. All those elements stand on a foundation of good comedic interplay that, while similar in many ways to WORKING!!, seems more polished in character focus. A great way to spend Thursdays.

Jex

Now for a triple combo:

Syrinx (Jexhius too ò.ó) watch episode 40 of #. It's very good!
Kirbyguy watch episode 40 of Mo~tto!. It's very good!
Hitokage watch episode 40 of Dokka~n!. It's very good!

I have much to catch up on, to my shame. I'm just about caught up on this whole season (sans Rozen Maiden) but unfortunately we've got a new season right around the corner. Of course, those shows might all turn out terrible giving me lots of free time, but I doubt it.

I have only watched Rozen Maiden this season, and I have mostly enjoyed it. It's not been the series I was expecting - I thought it would be a remake! - and it's mostly been all the better for it. I've enjoyed the look at adult Jun, and the series has done some fantastic stuff visually with Kirakisho, but I miss the battles from the older series. I'll probably watch the last two episodes back to back.

Thanks to everyone in the thread who recommended sticking with it, as I would never have bothered otherwise. For whatever reason I didn't enjoy the first episode of Silver Spoon very much and Gatchaman Crowds was just "too much" for me, so I'm glad I found something to watch this season.

Hope you like desu.

ReWatch Digimon Adventure 02: 5

Some hinting here in how Cody is like two of the digidestined, hinting that there will be other DigiEggs for them to get.

Jex

Toei , for gods sake , why are you spoiling the content and the twists of your episode in the episode title ?

You just ruin the moment ... now i'm stuck in this weird state where i know that the twist is coming yet i'm seeing characters that think they'll be fine when i know ( from the title of the ep ) that they won't .

This sort of thing just kill the viewing pleasure.

Is there NO one in the boradcasting station who cares ? no one at toei , either ? what about the planning staff ?
That's hardly a Toei exclusive sin though, I've seen a number of shows that do it (to the point where some shows, such as Gintama, actively parody the trend).

Did you check out Uchouten Kazoku at all? It seems like the sort of thing you'd be interested in.

Top shows:

Uchoten Kazoku
Love Lab
Rozen Maiden

Shows I got some enjoyment out of but really wish were better:

Monogatari
Gatchaman Crowds
Fate/Kaleid Liner

Why did I finish this:

Free!

Shows I wish I'd watched instead of Free!:

Servant x Service

Jex

From best to worst:

Uchouten Kazoku
Rozen Maiden
Silver Spoon
Monogatari
Teekyu Season 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom