• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'll post my arbitrary rankings too:

Good stuff:
Kiniro Mosaic
Uchouten Kazoku
Silver Spoon
High School DxD New

Decent stuff:
Neptunia
Watamote
Genshiken
Monogatari
Symphogear G
Servant X Service
Teekyu S2

Could be a LOT better:
Danganronpa
Gatchaman

Dropped for whatever reasons:
Love Lab
Not-Madoka

So bad that not even Miyukichi could make it good:
C3-bu

Still need to watch:
Rozen Maiden

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Servant x Service 13 -END-

Not a bad finale, though it seems obvious they're leaving the door open for a second season like Working! got (how did SxS do compared to Working! anyway?).
Ichimiya tackling Toko and Kanon was hilarious
. Also
Lucy finding out who was responsible for her name was a bit anticlimactic, I think
. Definitely my favorite show of the season. Here's hoping for a second season!

Oh, and Chihaya barely edges out Tomoko as my character of the season, as well. Basically for all the reasons Midonin listed above.

Servant x Service 13 -END-

Not a bad finale, though it seems obvious they're leaving the door open for a second season like Working! got (how did SxS do compared to Working! anyway?).
Ichimiya tackling Toko and Kanon was hilarious
. Also
Lucy finding out who was responsible for her name was a bit anticlimactic, I think
. Definitely my favorite show of the season. Here's hoping for a second season!

Oh, and Chihaya barely edges out Tomoko as my character of the season, as well. Basically for all the reasons Midonin listed above.

They're both based on manga by the same author?

Midonin

Aikatsu! is

JUST

THAT

GOOD
I was considering doing a review of that this morning, but when the final episode of the first year ended with a preview for the second season coming immediately after, I withheld. But yes, Aikatsu! has been very enjoyable. Though it needs more Kaede.

Er, I know that? I was asking how it did compared to Working!, as in sales/ratings, aka "likelihood of getting a second season".

From Animesuki's:

Wagnaria!! (WORKING!!) (Season 1)
**9 -- 14,391 *14,391 **1 WORKING!! v1

WORKING'!! (Season 2)
2011/11/02 *7,312 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (One episode)
2011/11/02 12,301 Vol. 1 (BluRay release)

*5,375 *3 Servant x Service [DVD+BD]: 2013/08/21

So barely compares. ~_~

cajunator

Banned
Kiniro Mosaic - 06

This episode was full of cute , so much that i think cajun would have fainted.

I think sdburton would have loved the second half ... This isn't frienship , this is much better.

Yes, this was pretty dangerously cute. I nearly died.

I thought Charles was the real protag ;).

Unfortunately no. that would have been much better!

Phi Brain 43

I don't even feel like I'm watching this anymore as much as I'm trying to find moments to gif Melancholy

rFhrioL.gif

a2QBikC.gif

I would post a 3rd best one of her laughing, but I'm having issues with Jasc getting rid of the subtitle text. I know there is a way to impose half a frame onto an earlier one but I can't figure out how :(

The actual episode was okay I guess, was surprise it took us 43 episodes to finally a river crossing puzzle.

If this wasnt so long I would watch it. most likely for Melancholy scenes.

SO my fantasista Dolls fans ,

1) do you have 550 yen ?

-Choose Wisely.

It seems that all the drinks have "milk" in them except Uzume's

Akari would be my choice.

Yeah sorry for disappearing, just needed to take a break for a bit. ;_;

Glad to be back though! Bring on Fall!

Welcome back! Dont leave us again!

Kill la Kill 1 episode preview: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x157og2

Dang; scenes that used to be stills in PV are actually animated. Sushio delivers.

Lookin good.

There's still time! You can still right this wrong!

That's a good point. Midonin even made a compelling case for it on this very page. I'll carve out some time this weekend and see how far I can get.

Could be a LOT better:
Danganronpa

I totally forgot about Danganronpa, and despite there being a good reason for that, I'd have thought the disappointment would have stuck around for longer. Of the few episodes I watched, I'd throw it under the header "Laziest adaption I've ever had the misfortune of watching, oh god just play the game."

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Wow, yea, this indeed was the Summer of Fujoshi, and I am depressed since this means Diabolik Lovers is going to be one of the highest selling titles of the Fall.

*slow clap*

And lol @
Monomi after the credits. Hells no you're not making a second series of this tripe.
They better not make an anime of the 2nd game UNLESS the change the team adapting ...

That's hardly a Toei exclusive sin though, I've seen a number of shows that do it (to the point where some shows, such as Gintama, actively parody the trend).
I know but toei does it too often ... if you watch sain seya and precure, you really think they aren't trying at all.

Dresden

Wow, yea, this indeed was the Summer of Fujoshi, and I am depressed since this means Diabolik Lovers is going to be one of the highest selling titles of the Fall.

Catering to BL fans doesn't mean it'll do well, really. And Diabolik Lovers caters to a more niche audience than something like Kuroko or Free - it's basically an extended rape fantasy with torture and bestiality tossed in.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Catering to BL fans doesn't mean it'll do well, really. And Diabolik Lovers caters to a more niche audience than something like Kuroko or Free - it's basically an extended rape fantasy with torture and bestiality tossed in.

I really hope you are right.

mhs004

My god it will sell better than I thought!

cnet128

Banned

Good stuff:
Kiniro Mosaic
Uchouten Kazoku
Silver Spoon
High School DxD New

Decent stuff:
Neptunia
Watamote
Genshiken
Monogatari
Symphogear G
Servant X Service
Teekyu S2

Could be a LOT better:
Danganronpa
Gatchaman

Dropped for whatever reasons:
Love Lab
Not-Madoka

So bad that not even Miyukichi could make it good:
C3-bu

Still need to watch:
Rozen Maiden

Oh, you did not just put Gatchaman Crowds in the same category as Dangan-fucking-ronpa. That's not even approaching funny.

(Also, your treatment of Stella makes me sad ;_;)

Symphogear G 13 END

Well, if that wasn't a Big Flashy Finale, I don't know what is. Perfect for this series, really =D

Those were some seriously nice-looking
ultimate forms. And of course Shirabe's was the most gorgeous by far because Shirabe is the best. Hnghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Honestly, I think the only thing this episode was missing was another rendition of Shirabe and Kirika's fuck-awesome character songs. They should have all just joined in with a rendition of that one for the final battle, because fuck logic, the best song ought to win. But eh, that was never going to happen, so at least Shirabe and Kirika got a decent showing in the big battle. Shirabe even got to go all
giant robot
again, however briefly.

Also, THE POWER OF
DISAPPEARING CLOTHES
. This is a Power that should be used more frequently.

All in all, Symphogear G was a really fun series, never top-tier stuff but always consistently exciting and full of energy and spectacle, a definite step up from the first season, and a worthwhile endeavour all around. I hope this show gets a third season if only for the sake of seeing more of Shirabe and Kirika. Hell, make it a spinoff with those two as the protags. I'd watch it gleefully.

EDIT:

SO my fantasista Dolls fans ,

1) do you have 550 yen ?

-Choose Wisely.

It seems that all the drinks have "milk" in them except Uzume's

What they should really do is make a Miko drink. Then I could order one of those and one of Katia's, and mix them together to create the sweetest and most delicious concoction the world has ever known.

...Lewd thoughts? What do you mean lewd thoughts? I'm just talking about soft drinks here!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How is that different from SAO?

cajunator

Banned
I think this season is pretty much over. Whats everyone's show of the season?

Mine is Servant x Service. Love Lab was close and Monogatari was a distant third.

Watamote is my favorite
Kinmoza is runner up for sheer squeeness.
Love Lab gets a special mention.

I just wanna say that Sword Art Online is the worst anime I've ever seen.

The first 15 or so episodes were mediocre, but enjoyable. But man, did that shit take such a completely awkward turn for the worst mid-season...

I feel the same, except I havent actually seen part two.

Definitely not. Simply being a "fujoshi" show doesn't guarantee hot sales anymore than being a "K-ON clone" guarantees hot sales. Consider all the shows with some fujoshi appeal in the fall season:

Ace of Diamond
Gundam Build Fighters
Kuroko's Basketball S2 (should sell very well based on S1)
Magi S2 (first season has already been rejected, so don't expect much sales from this one)
Meganebu
Phi Brain S3
Samurai Flamenco
Yowamushi Pedal

In comparison, a cheap 15 minute otome game adaptation doesn't seem like it'd be very appealing.

I think youre overestimating how much otome anime sell. Only breakout hit in awhile has been Uta no Prince Sama Maji Love 2000% (2nd highest selling anime this year, I think), while many of the others havent been ~10K final avg in awhile...

Naruto Shippuden 332

Another solid episode featuring Madara.

Onoki's attack was quite impressive and its nice seeing him rally the other Kages when they were down.

Also I'm surprised, yet very much pleased, that they had the reunion between Sasuke and Itachi in this episode as well. Sasuke's VA did a terrific job of delivering the emotion needed for that scene and the music that played during the whole time was absolutely perfect.

Articalys

I detected that I missed sales discussion, causing me great pain. To make up for it and make the data extremely clear and easy to see:

Working!! (season 1)
First volume, first week: 14,391 DVD. No Blu-ray singles were on sale, though a later Blu-ray box of the entire first season sold 7,243 copies in its first week.

Working'!! (season 2)
First volume, first week: 5,410 DVD, 10,050 Blu-ray.

Servant x Service
First volume, first week: 1,440 DVD, 2,798 Blu-ray

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I detected that I missed sales discussion, causing me great pain. To make up for it and make the data extremely clear and easy to see:

Working!! (season 1)
First volume, first week: 14,391 DVD. No Blu-ray singles were on sale.

Working'!! (season 2)

Servant x Service

This is indeed clarity.

First Kin'iro Mosaic and now this...what's with the trend of giving shows official English names that actually obscure the English words in the original Japanese titles?!

Calling shows by their Japanese syllabic abbreviations makes sense when it's a super-long LN title that no one could possibly remember, but with something like this it's incredibly gratuitous and baffling. Another case of Japanese people thinking they know English better than English speakers, I suppose.

Why are you making me want to watch this?

:(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I think I missed when we were listing our Fall shows, so I'll list mine now because reasons.

Definitely watching

Golden Time
Kyoukai no Kanata
Kill la Kill
Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!
Super Seisyun Brothers

Will watch one episode then decide from there

Nagi no Asakura
Strike the Blood
Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono
Outbreak Company

Midonin

Mine would take a while to list, so I compiled them all into a chart. Or edited a chart into mine. Green is definitely seeing, yellow is maybe want to see, and I'm not interested in the rest.

cajunator

Banned
SAO didn't have anyone get raped by a dog, though.

Gantz did :/

Working!! (season 1)
First volume, first week: 14,391 DVD. No Blu-ray singles were on sale, though a later Blu-ray box of the entire first season sold 7,243 copies in its first week.

Working'!! (season 2)

Servant x Service

This makes cajun sad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom