• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Everything is terrible.
punpun22.jpg

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 5-8

More comparisons and shit, I bet Matt hates Daisuke more since he was forced to go see his sister.

Meanwhile, Yuri-ness when Yolei/Moyoka fantasized about Mimi being her sister in totally different artstyle!

But ignoring that, I see where her Ken boner originated.

Ken finally meets Daisuke in the real world, and they actually revealed his identity to him, that was sooner than expected.

What they should really do is make a Miko drink. Then I could order one of those and one of Katia's, and mix them together to create the sweetest and most delicious concoction the world has ever known.

...Lewd thoughts? What do you mean lewd thoughts? I'm just talking about soft drinks here!

yeah ...yeah ..talking about soft drinks i dunno if they'll be able to make a drink for every doll and character on the show ( even if it's possible )

Articalys

Somebody discovered that Crunchyroll has an active page for Dream Eater Merry (Yumekui Merry), and since those don't just show up by accident, it's possible that it could be a catalog title announced soon. Though for some reason it's cataloged under "Asian Drama" and not "Anime".

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
And hey, I just realized that this'll make three seasons in a row where I watch something with Risa Taneda as a lead character (Yukari in Yuyushiki, Aya in Kiniro Mosaic, and Mirai in Kyoukai no Kanata). Neat.

How is crunchy roll for the most part? Is that what the majority of everyone here uses? Was thinking about trying it out. Have there been any extended trial offers, or is it only ever 30 days?

Shergal

At the very least the story seems more ambitious than recent KyoAni efforts.

It does? To me it seems like a generic urban fantasy show at first glance, in the vein of Shakugan No Shana and that kind of stuff.
Of course I'm not trying to give a final judgement, but based on the source and PVs it doesn't really seem like Kyokai will strive to break out of its genre or do something cool.

I'm okay with that though, I just want to see them try their hand at some action.

Midonin

How is crunchy roll for the most part? Is that what the majority of everyone here uses? Was thinking about trying it out. Have there been any extended trial offers, or is it only ever 30 days?
I can't say anything about the video quality because I don't have an eye for those things, but it's never bothered me. The subs are fine in terms of translation, and while it does freeze up sometimes, though that can often be solved by reloading the page, and the simulcasts can be a bit delayed sometimes, it's the best legal option out there. I want more people to use it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It does? To me it seems like a generic urban fantasy show at first glance, in the vein of Shakugan No Shana and that kind of stuff.
Even that is a million times more ambitious than Free! and Tamako.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Crunchy is great. Aside from the freezing problems that Midonin mentioned, which I've found can be avoided by using the PS3 app (which itself suffers from terrible memory leak problems, but as long as you don't spend a bunch of time scrolling through the catalog, you'll be fine). The majority of my anime viewing since getting back into it has been through CR, so I've definitely gotten my money's worth.

EDIT: Starting the KnK hype early with a Mirai avatar. Dat megane. :D

Nice that you enjoyed SAO.

Just so you know ,
klein couldn't have used the revival item because he was stunned ( unable to move, during the duel ) Just so you know in SAO when you die , you aren't killed instantly , there is a countdown before that happen ( so that someone can use the revival item ) the reason why asuna survived was because the game ended before that countdown finished.
Kirito did use his willpower to give the final blow to heathcliff,however.

Kayaba Akihiko is
despised by many but most of the player alive ( and i mean active players ) learned to accept SAO as their reality and thus don't show that much hate toward the guy, it's a different story for the famillies of those who have died but officcially the guy is not found so they have no one to point their hate toward.

Finally there is plenty of material to cover for at least 3 more seasons. It should happen soon since last time i checked , SAO novels are selling pretty well.

Thanks for that!
Makes sense. I guess Asuna's willpower to break the stun out of love was stronger. Still a shame that revival item went unused, thought it would have become a bigger part of the later story.

I'm actually looking forward to more TV series, will watch it all with you guys next time.

Check PM for 48 hour guest pass.

Thank you!!!

BluWacky

Of course I'm not trying to give a final judgement, but based on the source and PVs it doesn't really seem like Kyokai will strive to break out of its genre or do something cool.

I'm okay with that though, I just want to see them try their hand at some action.

I think just having a narrative of some kind other than "moe interpersonal drama" seems ambitious for KyoAni. I agree that it looks very generic and I don't understand quite enough of the dialogue in the PV to say whether that's any good or not, and the wildly differing tones of some of the trailers out there makes me uneasy. I think we're all excited about seeing if they can animate some decent action for the first time in years, though.

Then again, it's not as if KyoAni is averse to fantasy. What with Chuuni's delusions, the chicken in Tamako Market, and pretty much everything about Free!, KyoAni positively thrive on things which aren't very realistic :p

Extremely convenient for being able to watch stuff on my hd tablet and mobile, as well as on pc and typically has great selection of shows and too me greatly augments or would it be complements my hulu plus thing. Worth trying, I think they have lots of 30 day stuff going on?

Initially only got it for Naruto shippuden and Bleach but for the price was like might as well try everything else.

I think just having a narrative of some kind other than "moe interpersonal drama" seems ambitious for KyoAni. I agree that it looks very generic and I don't understand quite enough of the dialogue in the PV to say whether that's any good or not, and the wildly differing tones of some of the trailers out there makes me uneasy. I think we're all excited about seeing if they can animate some decent action for the first time in years, though.

"Ambitious", if by that we mean the complexity of the story, is not a good thing in itself. Something like Sunday Without God is certainly more "ambitious" than K-ON in that regard; that doesn't make it the better show.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
TheBatman you may root for a shitty baseball team
Rays will beat the Indians
but I think you're all right cause you got a sweet avatar.

Midonin

"Ambitious", if by that we mean the complexity of the story, is not a good thing in itself. Something like Sunday Without God is certainly more "ambitious" than K-ON in that regard; that doesn't make it the better show.
How does one define a "better" show anyhow? I've always liked the theory of reviewing that a show should be judged according to how it accomplished what it was trying to do.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 09

Hahahaaaaa fucking SkullGreyMon is here and he was styling and profiling these fools like it was nothing! Too bad it was Tai's Agumon. How will we solve this fiasco!?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
More story ambition than Chu2 and Free is not saying particularly much.
I will take what I can get. To be more precise I find myself horribly bored of KyoAni's tone in recent works and this at least has the possibility to step outside of what they normally do.

cajunator

Banned
Somebody discovered that Crunchyroll has an active page for Dream Eater Merry (Yumekui Merry), and since those don't just show up by accident, it's possible that it could be a catalog title announced soon. Though for some reason it's cataloged under "Asian Drama" and not "Anime".

Dream eater merry is cool. Check it out.

Crunchyroll is awesome. Been a great service.

Branduil

I will take what I can get. To be more precise I find myself horribly bored of KyoAni's tone in recent works and this at least has the possibility to step outside of what they normally do.

In recent years, I suppose, although this seems right in line with stuff like Haruhi.

TheBatman you may root for a shitty baseball team
Rays will beat the Indians
but I think you're all right cause you got a sweet avatar.

Thanks for the vote of confidence they'll make the playoffs :D Concerned about the damn Twins =/

Anyway, thanks. I like yours too, but no idea what she's from.

As per WTK's twitter, we got a bunch of upcoming fall show's episode count:

- Nagi no Asukara: 26 episodes
- Strike The Blood: 24 episodes
- Kill La Kill: 24 episodes
- Tokyo Raven: 24 episodes (Looks like a split cour)
- Non non Biyori: 21 episodes
- Gingitsune: 21 episodes
- Yowamushi Pedal: 21 episodes
- Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta: 13 episodes
- Teekyuu S3: 13 episodes
- Outbreak Company: 12 episodes
- IS: Infinite Stratos 2: 12 episodes
- Kakumeiki Valvrave 2 12 episodes
- Meganebu!: 12 episodes
- Walkure Romanze: 12 episodes
- Freezing Vibration: 12 episodes
- Yuusha ni Narenakatta: 12 episodes
- Noucome: 10 episodes

Source

Source

I thought Yowamushi Pedal was running for three anime seasons.

21 episodes? That's a really bizarre episode count; I can't think of any TV anime that's been that number. Non Non Biyori and Gingitsune would make more sense if they were 12 episodes. Plus Yowamushi Pedal was announced as a 3-cour show. I'm skeptical about the accuracy here.

Jarmel

Banned
Here's the thing about KnK, its genre fits well with the drama aspect that KyoAni likes to do. We're not going to get a complete story because the novels aren't done and I'm not sure how much character development they can shoe into a series that probably isn't remotely halfway though its run. So what's going to be crucial is how it handles the atmosphere and the characters as they are. They're gonna have to balance the lighter moments with the darker ones, something they haven't really had to do since Haruhi or Clannad. My understanding is that the novels aren't really dark though. Also the core story for the 13 episodes needs to be interesting by itself. Doing some monsters every week isn't going to be enough.

One thing though, I don't know how much of a rewrite the novels are getting. Chuu got a massive rewrite and I'm not sure KnK is getting the same.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 10

So now The Kaiser powers up with the Evil Spiral, capable of taking over Ultimate Digimon, and the first victim is MetalGreymon Virus Type. Clearly we need a power up now, how in the hell can they stand up to Ultimate Digimon? It's only been 10 episodes too!

cajunator

Banned

Source

No KnK episode count yet? Mysterious.

MikeMyers

So now The Kaiser powers up with the Evil Spiral, capable of taking over Ultimate Digimon, and the first victim is MetalGreymon Virus Type. Clearly we need a power up now, how in the hell can they stand up to Ultimate Digimon? It's only been 10 episodes too!

Oh nice, Adventure 02 has always been my favourite (unpopular opinion I know). Glad to read your thoughts on the episodes.

Tenumi

Banned
Kill la Kill 24 episodes, aw yeah!

I hope you don't think I'm anime stalking you when I start my Digimon series watchthrough probably after finishing off the Precure series.

All this Crunchyroll talk makes me want to use it more. And it makes me miss a certain someone...

Articalys

This is part of an interview with the writer for Kiniro Mosaic, Yuniko Ayana (and yes, I did accidentally type that as Ayaya the first time), and I think in the last bit, it mentions how they intentionally tried not to go too overboard with the yuri. Would appreciate someone double-checking it.

The rest of the interview is probably pretty neat too, including what I think are some bits about how Beauty and Beast and Les Miserables were some influences on the musical bit in the final episode, along with some other alternate ideas they had for the musical's story.

http://anifav.com/special/20130926_2100.html

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's kind of like Star Trek in that way I guess. Ladies of the future need sexy outfits or something, haha. At least they're not as weird looking as the outfits in Gunbuster. It was a thing for a lot of 80s science fiction shows to show girls wearing some kind of space bathing suit as a future fashion it seemed.
hYwCXHml.jpg

TNG tried, of course. But even then, once they got Troi out of her weird dresses, they all had normal uniforms at some point. lol

Yeah, the lyrics can be kind of silly if you actually pay attention to them but it still works and kind of gets you in the mood of the show,haha.
As someone who hasn't seen the original Yamato or Starblazers, the style of the song itself evokes nostalgia for a simpler period of television. So yeah, I can see thinking it was made to be of the period.

I suppose it also makes sense why they got rid of it for the TV broadcast.

Yeah, I was wondering if there was maybe an OT made for it before that I had missed on initially. Maybe I'll start posting some impressions to get more people aware of it. At the same time though it's like I can't because I'm too busy wanting to watch the next episode,haha.

Actually, talking about that Time Jam and it being a bit retro, it reminds me of the earlier conversation where people where talking about elements of science fiction and "hard" sci-fi and such.

It's kind of funny how sort of a mixed bag Yamato 2199 is. Since it seems to more or less be a re-make of an older show but with more modern visuals and effects I could forgive some more retro plot points. The show does things however like giving the hayabusa fighters, or even the Yamato itself, little jets on the sides for course corrections because you can't "fly" in space like you can in the sky on Earth.

That, or when they get so far they have that they are actually seeing the Earth as it was three years ago because they are three light years away. Later in the same episode though they communicate in real time with people back on Earth,haha. I forget but I think they might have activated some special device to do that just like Star Trek kind of washes over that. That's why I like Xenosaga and they at least try to explain that by using an Unus Mundus Network.
Yamato sort of sits in this weird middle ground. So the idea of being "out of range" of Earth is there, even though theoretically, even leaving Earth orbit would being to introduce lag in their communications.

But the rest of it is fairly magical. Reusing the Yamato because it's the only hull left on Earth, their version of the nuclear weapon, the actual jumps through space, telepathic aliens, and so on.

I mean, here's one issue. On the one hand, they have a year to save Earth before it dies out. But other than the dates they give us in the previews, there's no real way to see how much time has passed because they both somehow suffer some time dilation effects while also run in "real time" because they both warp and travel at high speed. You just have to turn your brain off and accept the date to be whatever the captain says it is each week. lol

The feeling of "hard" probably comes from the fact that it's still very grounded in MilSciFi... and really, the military is very easy to replicate because all you need to do is have ranks, have people call each other "sir", and have them salute once in a while and it seems authentic. And that authenticity leads you to think of it as being more "real" than it might otherwise be.

When I was younger I didn't like subtitles but now I want whatever show to be in its original native language with subtitles. Usually because dubs are so bad or you can miss nuances.
I think I got used to subs only because that was the only way I could watch Chinese movies at the time. Back in the ancient times when Hong Kong was still a British protectorate, I guess movie makers were required to put English subtitles on all their movies (or maybe it was just for the benefit of whatever white dudes lived in HK? Who knows). So growing up with Stephen Chow or Chow Yun Fat or Andy Lau, it basically meant I both listened to and read all my movies. Fun times. lol

SAO didn't have anyone get raped by a dog, though.
What the fuck happens in Diabolik Lovers!?
I really didn't want to watch it. lol

I hope you don't think I'm anime stalking you when I start my Digimon series watchthrough probably after finishing off the Precure series.

All this Crunchyroll talk makes me want to use it more. And it makes me miss a certain someone...

I didn't think of it in the slightest.

But like I said, I found this on Netflix, so it's like, EH why not? Speaking of which...

REWatch Digimon Adventure 02: 11

You know despite the fact Tai gave his speech to tell everyone not to hesitate fighting MetalGreymon, Daisuke was still being a shit for the longest time. But hey, a new Digi Egg that didn't react because Daisuke was being a shit, but apparently if you REALLY trust your Digimon, you should ride them, because that's how you unite your feelings... or something...

LATE commentary: LOL Digmon, lets drop the second i! GREAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom