• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Vita has plenty of movies to watch already, like Uncharted and metal gear solid.

HXZ25aE.gif

jbug617

Banned
Servant x Service 13

Good end to the series
. While some problems stay the same (hiding the relationship from Toko), looks like Hasbe slowly wore down Lucy
. Lucy has great facial expressions when she is flustered.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 38

School play that I didn't really get. Something about delivery people. Anyway, Aiko should have been in the play.

cnet128

Banned
This is part of an interview with the writer for Kiniro Mosaic, Yuniko Ayana (and yes, I did accidentally type that as Ayaya the first time), and I think in the last bit, it mentions how they intentionally tried not to go too overboard with the yuri. Would appreciate someone double-checking it.

The rest of the interview is probably pretty neat too, including what I think are some bits about how Beauty and Beast and Les Miserables were some influences on the musical bit in the final episode, along with some other alternate ideas they had for the musical's story.

http://anifav.com/special/20130926_2100.html

Double-checked! Here's the relevant yuri-related parts:

The ambiguous nature of Aya and Youko's relationship is one of the draws of this series, don't you think?

It is nice, isn't it... That's one of the reasons I got so hooked on this series (laughs). But when I was working on the script, I was careful not to let it stray too far in the "yuri" direction. I laid out quite strict borderlines for myself, saying that it's fine to go this far because that's what's in the original work, but I mustn't hint any further than that.

What about the relationship between Alice and Shinobu? Alice sometimes gets jealous when Shinobu is friendly with Karasuma-sensei or Karen, but it's quite hard to imagine that happening with, say, a pair of male friends...

When you see a friend who you really like being friendly with someone else, you can sometimes feel uncomfortable, like, "You're the most important friend to me, but why am I not the most important to you?" Hara-sensei's editor explained it as "like when your parents are giving your brother all the attention, and you get lonely and start to act childish about it". Alice doesn't like to see Shinobu getting too friendly with other people, but apparently she doesn't have any problem being friendly with other people herself. When you get jealous, it can often lead to hating even the person in question, but I think Alice is a good girl, because she never actually starts disliking Karasuma-sensei or Karen. She's able to separate her own feelings of jealousy from the other person's actual nature.

With Shinobu and Alice, I think it's not so much yuri but more like a family relationship. Even when it's all five of them together, it's still like a family. When they're together, they don't have to overthink anything, they're always just comfortable around each other, able to be their natural selves - that kind of atmosphere. Personally, I really like that kind of family-like feeling that can emerge among people who aren't actually related. Perhaps that's also one of the reasons why I enjoy Kinmoza so much.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02 12

Pretty goofy episode here. Can't believe Lighdramon got his ass whooped immediately.

There was some imagry going on in this episode though, what with Starmon taking down Piyomon had a bird cage in the foreground. Also dat execution stand.

cnet128

Banned
Love Lab 13 END

Damn tears of friendship... They even made me shed a tear myself ;_;

It was pretty standard how everything was resolved in this episode, no real surprises at any stage, but it worked really nicely as a way to end the series. And all the characters just play off each other so well, it felt really fresh and enjoyable. The scene with the three of them - Riko, Maki and Nagi - together outside the cram school was just perfection.

EDIT: MAL won't let me mark Love Lab as Completed because it's "still airing". The fuck is this shit.

That loops rather well.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 13

Takeru's upset because Hikari still wants the Tai cock... or rather he obviously wants her to depend on him.

Speaking of which, this was a really fucking weird episode, odd behavior, camera angles, how dull the colors are (not a negative), hell, it didn't feature much music really. It gave off this really creepy vibe that not only is a complete contrast from the last episode, but every episode of Season 2 up to this point. Hikari kept mentioning the sea, and was rather scared and practically helpless through this whole thing.

And it's like... they went an extra mile to throw the money on the Takari pairing here, Power of Love, Takeru's jealousy and anger over what he said. Hell, he's the only one who actually went after her while Daisuke was trying useless methods that they already knew didn't work
This is why you lose in the end.

But yeah, this.... this isn't what I ever expected, I don't even recall seeing this episode, and considering how the dub changed the music and whatnot, I have my doubts that the dub handled this episode well.

The Digimon who didn't have much of a form kept referring to a god below, which implied the Kaiser
but apparently it was fucking Chtulu. Yeeeeeeah... couldn't even comprehend what they really looked like.

Jintor

That loops rather well.

It's cos the dude cuts across the entire screen so he effectively acts as a wipe. You can see the masking over his shoulder as it loops around. Also the dude in the middle is in a really similar position from the loop's beginning and end.

Minami-ke Tadaima 1

This just makes me appreciate the first season of Minami-ke more. This episode fell entirely flat, both in its near-total lack of visual creativity and in dull writing that failed to capture any of the quirkiness that made Minami-ke so appealing. I hate how frequently it relied on gag backgrounds. If the next two episodes don't pick things up, I won't be finishing this.

It's cos the dude cuts across the entire screen so he effectively acts as a wipe. You can see the masking over his shoulder as it loops around. Also the dude in the middle is in a really similar position from the loop's beginning and end.

Yeah I just noticed that.

cnet128

Banned
Minami-ke Tadaima 1

This just makes me appreciate the first season of Minami-ke more. This episode fell entirely flat, both in its near-total lack of visual creativity and in dull writing that failed to capture any of the quirkiness that made Minami-ke so appealing. I hate how frequently it relied on gag backgrounds. If the next two episodes don't pick things up, I won't be finishing this.

Yeah, I don't think anything in Minami-ke is ever going to quite live up to the first series, sadly.

The real successor to the spirit of the first Minami-ke season is YuruYuri. It's all about that Ohta Masahiko and Aoshima Takashi combo. Other series with their golden touch include Kotoura-san and this season's Love Lab. Also Mitsudomoe, which I haven't seen but am suddenly starting to feel like I should...

Looks like the next thing we're getting from those two is that Sabagebu show next year (Winter?) that sounds suspiciously similar to Stella C3-bu in its premise. I look forward to it being absolutely wonderful.

Midonin

Minami-ke's most recent was directed by Keiichiro Kawaguchi, and he's one of my favorite directors. I saw a lot of his stuff - Hayate (first season), Zettai Karen Children and even Moetan when I was first getting into anime, and his style really appeals to me. He has a pretty good sense of comedic directing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
attack on titan 24
this still seems bad. there is always this macabre outlook that kind of hangs over everything but it never is really able to cement that in a way that feels meaningful. instead the awkward nonsensical dark philosophical ramblings feel like they belong to a scorned fourteen year old. it complicates matters even more when so many punches are pulled to solidify this invincible core of characters for the series to work with, that the threat of death seems largely removed.

a large number of my problems with the way this show plays out might be related to how poorly realized the setting is. the city is a splattering of generic fantasy buildings that awkwardly sit on the edge of every scene like extras to be ignored. lined up perfectly, they serve as confining mazes that inhibit the action and leave the high speed movement as awkward aerial flailing that lacks positional context.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 14

Shurimon is... a weird extension to Hawkmon to say the least. Also more callbacks with Our favorite Egg. I like how Yolei admitting she is shallow allows a Digi Egg appear.

A Why did I notice this detail:
Mimi punched a Poop Digimon, and she was kneeling on the ground after sending it flying. You could see a bit up her skirt and see a bit of ass cheek. That detail.

Articalys

Dekomori DEATH=DEAD
09/26: Round 2, Groups D, E & F - Day 2

D2
1st 240 (43.72%) Ryuuka Shimizudani @ Saki
2nd 237 (43.17%) Komari Kamikita @ Little Busters!
3rd 36 (6.56%) Asia Argento @ High School DxD
3rd 36 (6.56%) Hanayo Koizumi @ Love Live!

E2
1st 243 (45.00%) Sakurako Oomuro @ Yuru Yuri
2nd 214 (39.63%) Sanae Dekomori @ Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai!
3rd 83 (15.37%) Kana Ikeda @ Saki

F2
1st 245 (48.04%) Sawa Okita @ Tari Tari
2nd 133 (26.08%) Mikan Yuuki @ To Love Ru
3rd 132 (25.88%) Tsubasa Hanekawa @ Nekomonogatari Black

Date A Live poster book (NSFW) gives the girls stats for some reason, and confirms Kurumi as having the highest INT and SPI (spirit). Also confirms Tohka as having about as much INT as her fanbase.
I'm kidding, I love all of you crazy, crazy, completely crazy Tohka fans

On a DAL related note, I'm amazed they're selling both "Compatible Side" and "Rival Side" bed sheets (NSFW). Why would anyone pick the first one?

Defuser

Servant x Service ep 13 final
Hasabe's dad is kinda of a dick, glad to see a great improvment between lucy and Hasabe unlike the characters in Working!. Overall this series started out slow but it improved greatly in the later episodes. I would say this is on par with Working!!

Too bad the sales are bad so we probably won't see a second season.

Sunday Without God end

Is this a copout, or should I not care because it was sweet anyway?

Well this was an interesting series. I had every intention of dropping it after the rageworthy first 2 episodes, but it really came into its own after that.

This is a really interesting take on the "deathless world" concept. While I would say there are definitely some inherent flaws in the setting (confusing and poorly explained ones at that), there were some really nice side stories that take advantage of the premise, albeit in a way that seemed kind of random at points, but I guess that just comes with the territory of a world that god just said "fuck it!" to.

I do still think the reason this is an alright show is because of everything BUT the plot. The music is stellar, the atmosphere is really effective in how somber yet optimistic it can be, the art could be worse, etc. Oh, and it also has one of the best transitions into the ending theme ever. It's right up there with JoJo in that aspect.

So yeah, this was definitely a surprise. Definitely not my favorite show of the season, but it might get an honorable mention in this year's AOTYs. I would absolutely watch a second season in the unlikely event that was happening.

Necrovex

Hajime no Ippo 8-11

Another fantastic set of episodes. I am amazed that I felt some feels for his first opponent. It a testament of how great this show is.

Ippo also gained some new fans after those hostesses saw his...manliness.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Forgive my semi off topic post, but I thought of one BGBW when I saw this:
[BGBW]
4UcOZ3kl.png

HEY IT'S LONDON
PwrYCnLl.png

BLACK CABS
ROFrUBRl.png

SHERLOCK BABY!!!!!!
[/BGBW]

Ahem.

Also, AMC announcing that Mad Men is going to be a "split cour" show in its final season reminds me that in many ways, Western TV is as desperate as anime. lol

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 39

Meh. Kid's acting like a total little shit because he wanted to go home and make something with his friends for the kindergarten exhibition. Still though, there's not a lot you can do to properly justify acting like such a shit.

Onto the movie and 40!
Tomorrow.
Maybe.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 13

Takeru's upset because Hikari still wants the Tai cock... or rather he obviously wants her to depend on him.

Speaking of which, this was a really fucking weird episode, odd behavior, camera angles, how dull the colors are (not a negative), hell, it didn't feature much music really. It gave off this really creepy vibe that not only is a complete contrast from the last episode, but every episode of Season 2 up to this point. Hikari kept mentioning the sea, and was rather scared and practically helpless through this whole thing.

And it's like... they went an extra mile to throw the money on the Takari pairing here, Power of Love, Takeru's jealousy and anger over what he said. Hell, he's the only one who actually went after her while Daisuke was trying useless methods that they already knew didn't work
This is why you lose in the end.

But yeah, this.... this isn't what I ever expected, I don't even recall seeing this episode, and considering how the dub changed the music and whatnot, I have my doubts that the dub handled this episode well.

The Digimon who didn't have much of a form kept referring to a god below, which implied the Kaiser
but apparently it was fucking Chtulu. Yeeeeeeah... couldn't even comprehend what they really looked like.

Much of this episode is down to it being written by Chiaki Konaka (who would go on to write Digimon Tamers, and also wrote shows like The Big O and Serial Experiments Lain). It's certainly a very different episode from the rest of the series (especially with the whole abuse and attempted rape of an eleven year old girl part), but it's one of my favorite episodes of the show.

It's a really evocative and powerful episode, and a lot of the images still remain strong in my mind no matter how long it's been since I've seen it. It tackles some very sensitive subject matter in a very unique way, and in a way that only a show like Digimon really could.

Free 11&12

Good lord that was some terribad melodrama in these last two episodes. I actually had to pause it and walk away at one point to lessen the pain. Its sad they had to throw all this shitty drama in this show because pretty much everything else about this is good to great. Great direction and cinematography, good soundtrack, great animation. If only the story wasn't crap.

Ojamajo Doremi # 39

Meh. Kid's acting like a total little shit because he wanted to go home and make something with his friends for the kindergarten exhibition. Still though, there's not a lot you can do to properly justify acting like such a shit.

Onto the movie and 40!
Tomorrow.
Maybe.

The time has come and so have I.

Much of this episode is down to it being written by Chiaki Konaka (who would go on to write Digimon Tamers, and also wrote shows like The Big O and Serial Experiments Lain). It's certainly a very different episode from the rest of the series (especially with the whole abuse and attempted rape of an eleven year old girl part), but it's one of my favorite episodes of the show.

It's a really evocative and powerful episode, and a lot of the images still remain strong in my mind no matter how long it's been since I've seen it. It tackles some very sensitive subject matter in a very unique way, and in a way that only a show like Digimon really could.

That certainly explains some things and it definitely left an impression on me. I almost feel like taking on Tamers at some point in the future.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 15

She loves her Shurimon, and it made him blush. Weeeeeiiiird.

Surprised they made use of Shurimon immediately for a ninja fight, and not sucking ass after his debut like Lighdramon did.

Cut off his hair, Kari wasn't amused, but I think right here (and that Digimon movie), makes me think weird things, mainly on how she's aware of Daisuke and practically knows she has him on her finger. I don't know how I feel about this (considering I know the results).

zeroshiki

Why can't KyoAni just follow the Yamada/Yoshida style of drama rather than the Ishihara/Key style? K-On was more successful than Chuuni goddamit.

I hope Kyokai no Kanata does not have unnecessary forced dorama.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why can't KyoAni just follow the Yamada/Yoshida style of drama rather than the Ishihara/Key style? K-On was more successful than Chuuni goddamit.

To be fair, Free did the dead parent about as well as Tamako Market.

(I still can't believe that Makoto knew Rin's father though. It still makes no sense. :p)

Branduil

It's pretty obvious KyoAni does not have any good, serious drama writers inside the studio. I can't imagine all those Key adaptations were a good influence on them.

zeroshiki

To be fair, Free did the dead parent about as well as Tamako Market.

(I still can't believe that Makoto knew Rin's father though. It still makes no sense. :p)

Tamako Market episode 9 is better than any episode of Free! :(

Having said that though, I really want to see a new Yamada/Yoshida work and I'm afraid the new Tamako project is a movie which would mean that it'll be more than a year after that when Yamada gets to show a new project.

Toriko Episode 119 Secret Technique: Meal Fit for a King!
tumblr_mtri8uxqg01qbxqfpo1_500.png

Good plot but the visuals were kind of lacking or just plain odd, for example even watching this scene I dont know what the animators were trying to show with this scene (and it was so jagged)....surely there were other ways one could draw gleaming and glistening meat the size of kilometers better than this...

and Teppeai, what was with the scene with him in some salad, if he dies!

zeroshiki

It's pretty obvious KyoAni does not have any good, serious drama writers inside the studio. I can't imagine all those Key adaptations were a good influence on them.

KyoAni does not have any writers inside their studio.

Yeah, what hosanna said. I don't think having in-house writers is a thing in animation studios (unless you're Ghibli and Miyazaki writes everything anyway). They work with some good ones though (Gatoh, Yoshida) so there's that.

But it's true. It's not like Chuu2 in terms of the dead dad being a thing.
---

Also, I saw this at the store a few days ago:
http://i.imgur.com/I4Le37Gl.png[IMG]
Wafuuuuuu~~~~~~[/QUOTE]

It means Japanese-style :P

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But neither does anything in Free! reach the heights of Tamako Market's ninth episode, especially with anything relating to the dead parent.
Well, it's more that the dead parent is a lingering figure rather than something that is a key part of the story. Other than the two flashbacks to the funeral, there isn't really any real mention of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom