• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, maybe that's the problem.

It's not really a problem; pretty much all anime screenwriters are freelancers. I think there may be a couple studio writers at places like I.G., but there aren't very many.

Although in most cases, the writer is just following the director's vision, so I guess the issue is... KyoAni directors like bad melodrama.

Now the directors are something you can blame KyoAni for.

wonzo

Banned
Well, it's more that the dead parent is a lingering figure rather than something that is a key part of the story. Other than the two flashbacks to the funeral, there isn't really any real mention of it.
But again, there's a big difference between not hamming it up like Chu2 and what Tamako Market did with it.

zeroshiki

We know Takemoto and Yamada are good directors. I'm still willing to give Utsumi the benefit of the doubt since Free! was her first time. The only director I don't care for in KyoAni is Ishihara and that's because he does the Key stuff (I enjoyed Lucky Star though).

Good thing they fired/demoted Yamakan or this argument would be more complicated.

Necrovex

What's the consensus on the Gurren Lagann films? I am planning to watch both films sometime this weekend. I have really wanted to watch something (not the television show) from this property before Kill la Kill.

Midonin

For the most part the same as the TV series, but each has an even bigger, even flashier action sequence attached to the end compared to their respective TV climaxes. So I'd say watching them in lieu of the TV series is perfectly okay.

We know Takemoto and Yamada are good directors. I'm still willing to give Utsumi the benefit of the doubt since Free! was her first time. The only director I don't care for in KyoAni is Ishihara and that's because he does the Key stuff (I enjoyed Lucky Star though).

Good thing they fired/demoted Yamakan or this argument would be more complicated.

Lucky Star was Takemoto (well, after they fired Yamakan).

What's the consensus on the Gurren Lagann films? I am planning to watch both films sometime this weekend. I have really wanted to watch something (not the television show) from this property before Kill la Kill.

The Gurren Lagann movies are wonderful. They may be retellings, but the stuff they add is so well done I can't put it into words. Lagann-hen especially.

Necrovex

For the most part the same as the TV series, but each has an even bigger, even flashier action sequence attached to the end compared to their respective TV climaxes. So I'd say watching them in lieu of the TV series is perfectly okay.

The Gurren Lagann movies are wonderful. They may be retellings, but the stuff they add is so well done I can't put it into words. Lagann-hen especially.

Excellent! I don't have enough time to rewatch all of Gurren Lagann, so I was hoping the films would make a good substitute. And even flashier action sequences? I am, of course, in for that!

wonzo

Banned
Kinmoza! 11-12 END

kinmoza12.jpg

It's such a sadness that we'll never get to see more of Captain Karen's musical adventures across the Seven Seas. That and the Chemtrails, never forget.

I honestly don't remember the last time I've seen something run its credits sequence before even halfway through the episode.

Jarmel

Banned
It's pretty obvious KyoAni does not have any good, serious drama writers inside the studio. I can't imagine all those Key adaptations were a good influence on them.

But then who does nowadays?

shrug.jpg

The real issue for them right now is that the sources that they are adapting from are pretty much dogshit.

Kinmoza! 11-12 END

kinmoza12.jpg

It's such a sadness that we'll never get to see more of Captain Karen's musical adventures across the Seven Seas. That and the Chemtrails, never forget.

I honestly don't remember the last time I've seen something run its credits sequence before even halfway through the episode.

Like a few weeks ago for the same series actually.

The real issue for them right now is that the sources that they are adapting from are pretty much dogshit.

That doesn't matter when they're changing the sources so much the anime may as well be original, as with Chuunibyou and Free. And of course, Tamako Market was anime-original.

Jarmel

Banned
The core thing is that KyoAni either needs better source material or they need to hire actual writers like Gatoh to do their shows. They're trying to salvage the novels from their competition but even they themselves didn't award any of those novels the top prize. That should say something in of itself. I'm worried that Takemoto is going to be stuck with one of these novels and Gatoh is going to have to try and salvage a decent script out of it and failing. There is only so much polishing you can do.

They won't do anything though because all of the shows that we shit on such as Chuu and Free will sell gigatons even if the writing is dog shit.

I miss Haruhi...
Rejoice there is this new book called " There is no haruhi in my class " ...perfect for the need of haruhi fans ...

DOn't cry haruhi fans

Date A Live poster book (NSFW) gives the girls stats for some reason, and confirms Kurumi as having the highest INT and SPI (spirit). Also confirms Tohka as having about as much INT as her fanbase.
I'm kidding, I love all of you crazy, crazy, completely crazy Tohka fans

On a DAL related note, I'm amazed they're selling both "Compatible Side" and "Rival Side" bed sheets (NSFW). Why would anyone pick the first one?

All the tohka fans know that her INT is low and know that wwhat matter is that she is a pure girl in her heart & soul.
Kurumi stats however are "as expected"

As for the bed sheets , i'll take both thank you.

Jarmel

Banned
That doesn't matter when they're changing the sources so much the anime may as well be original, as with Chuunibyou and Free. And of course, Tamako Market was anime-original.

It does matter though. You can only improve something if you're better at it than the original person. Someone in the pipeline either needs to go or needs to get better. The screenwriters or the original novelists themselves need to get better. Also there is only so much tweaking and twisting you can do before you completely break a story or turn it into something completely different from the originals(which I doubt KyoAni wants as they still want to sell those novels). The Dexter TV show's primary interest isn't trying to sell the novels.

Syrinx

Love Lab 12

So Maki actually still believes Riko is a master of love? Would have thought it would have been too late for her to back out of what she was saying.

Oh and Yan is a dick. A total dick. I mean, he's right about Riko not being a master of love, but...he's such a dick. And he called into question their friendship. Somebody oughta pimp slap that fool.

It does matter though. You can only improve something if you're better at it than the original person. Someone in the pipeline either needs to go or needs to get better. The screenwriters or the original novelists themselves need to get better. Also there is only so much tweaking and twisting you can do before you completely break a story or turn it into something completely different from the originals(which I doubt KyoAni wants as they still want to sell those novels). The Dexter TV show's primary interest isn't trying to sell the novels.

Look, all I'll say is that High Speed was in elementary school. Free was in high school. They're completely different stories. You want to complain about the writing, fine. But blame the right people.

Jarmel

Banned
Look, all I'll say is that High Speed was in elementary school. Free was in high school. They're completely different stories. You want to complain about the writing, fine. But blame the right people.

So there weren't similar elements, like themes of friendship or characters being or acting the same?

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 17

So we get a reunion with everyone from 01 along with the newbies, and a bunch of theory testing, meanwhile ghosts!

And it's actually Wizarmon, who appears in spirit to tell them a mystery that means GOLDEN ARMOR ENERGIZE soon. And then he leaves in spirit, dying again much to Kari and Gatomon's sadness.

Servant X Service - 13

This was like totally the ending i was expecting , decisive , yet still open for more while keeping the cast intact .

The way everything was solved was quite good and chihaya was masterfull in this episode .

Good Stuff.i can ask for more , i will watch if they do more.

So I was trying to search for this anime that I've seen before because I remembered that I really liked the OP for it. I was looking on google image search and I eventually found it, and it was called Hyakko.

During my search this popped up and nostalgia started flowing through me.
j2w2DtzPkLWvd_e.jpg

This was like the 1st anime I ever watched online. Ugh, I can't believe I watched this all the way through. I remember some funny pool scene with the gym teacher, and something like them cutting their skirts to fit in with everyone. Don't remember much after that. I think I watched it because I was looking for a school comedy after my sister forced me to watch Fruits Basket (I didn't like Fruits Basket but I loved the high school setting of it), and this was the first thing that popped up.

I really need to stop looking for anime using google image search.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I was trying to search for this anime that I've seen before because I remembered that I really liked the OP for it. I was looking on google image search and I eventually found it, and it was called Hyakko.

http://i3.minus.com/j2w2DtzPkLWvd_e.jpg[IMG]
This was like the 1st anime I ever watched online. Ugh, I can't believe I watched this all the way through. I remember some funny pool scene with the gym teacher, and something like them cutting their skirts to fit in with everyone. Don't remember much after that. I think I watched it because I was looking for a school comedy after my sister forced me to watch Fruits Basket (I didn't like Fruits Basket but I loved the high school setting of it), and this was the first thing that popped up.

I really need to stop looking for anime using google image search.[/QUOTE]

I watched half of the first episode of this a week or two ago. NOPE. Nopenopenope.

Midonin

I liked it, for a lot of the same reasons that I like Seitokai Yakuindomo. Or it may be because of the character song album, which can influence my opinion on almost anything.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

j2w2DtzPkLWvd_e.jpg

These two should've been part of the main cast. Regardless, I still enjoyed it. :D

Yeah, I don't think anything in Minami-ke is ever going to quite live up to the first series, sadly.

The real successor to the spirit of the first Minami-ke season is YuruYuri. It's all about that Ohta Masahiko and Aoshima Takashi combo. Other series with their golden touch include Kotoura-san and this season's Love Lab. Also Mitsudomoe, which I haven't seen but am suddenly starting to feel like I should...

Looks like the next thing we're getting from those two is that Sabagebu show next year (Winter?) that sounds suspiciously similar to Stella C3-bu in its premise. I look forward to it being absolutely wonderful.

Certainly Ohta has more talent than the other directors who worked on Minami-ke, as Love Lab again shows. I wasn't fond of Yuru Yuri, but perhaps the issue was with the material he was dealing with. Hopefully his show next year turns out enjoyable.

Minami-ke's most recent was directed by Keiichiro Kawaguchi, and he's one of my favorite directors. I saw a lot of his stuff - Hayate (first season), Zettai Karen Children and even Moetan when I was first getting into anime, and his style really appeals to me. He has a pretty good sense of comedic directing.

Eh, my experience with Kawaguchi hasn't been particularly positive. Sket Dance was another show of his that suffered from flat comedic writing and timing.

cajunator

Banned
Dekomori DEATH=DEAD

Sawa won. This contest Is over. Everybody go home.

Date A Live poster book (NSFW) gives the girls stats for some reason, and confirms Kurumi as having the highest INT and SPI (spirit). Also confirms Tohka as having about as much INT as her fanbase.
I'm kidding, I love all of you crazy, crazy, completely crazy Tohka fans

On a DAL related note, I'm amazed they're selling both "Compatible Side" and "Rival Side" bed sheets (NSFW). Why would anyone pick the first one?

Kurumi and Tohka then everybody else.

But it's true. It's not like Chuu2 in terms of the dead dad being a thing.
---

Also, I saw this at the store a few days ago:
I4Le37Gl.png

Wafuuuuuu~~~~~~

Oh jesus...

firehawk12

Subete no aware

http://i3.minus.com/j2w2DtzPkLWvd_e.jpg

The funny thing is that the manga was much more frank when it came to just treating women as actual human beings and not just objects for worship in terms of them having to deal with things like choosing between tampons or pads.

I watched half of the first episode of this a week or two ago. NOPE. Nopenopenope.

I didn't know what the word "ecchi" meant when I started it. I was like 11 when I watched it so I was mostly scratching my head at every scene. If I saw it now, I'd probably be saying nope as well.

I liked it, for a lot of the same reasons that I like Seitokai Yakuindomo. Or it may be because of the character song album, which can influence my opinion on almost anything.

I never heard the character albums for it but I might give it a listen sometime out of curiosity.

These two should've been part of the main cast. Regardless, I still enjoyed it. :D

I don't know what's going on in this scene, but that dialogue is funny.

Midonin

As long as we're talking about early anime experiences, for a long time I've had what I consider the rare trinity. Koi Koi 7, Happy Seven and Rakugo Tennyo Oyui. I've seen the first and last one. I got a little obsessed with Koi Koi 7, doing things like watching the entire anime in one go (before simulcasting took off, so this was without subs), and purchasing all of the rare character song albums. It's a recurring thing for me.

Though it was a fairly typical harem comedy, the whole thing with Nana Mizuki's Yayoi Asuka with the eyepatch and everyone being cyborgs and how weird the whole thing was basically turned into a fascination with this show. The tone of Nana Mizuki's "Lost Days" contrasted with the tone the rest of the anime was going for and the whole thing was captivating.

I saw Oyui a little later, and found it to be the kind of show I would enjoy, before I really knew what rakugo was. (Joshiraku would correct this.) Alternate history, tanukis, time travel, fun stuff. I have yet to see Happy Seven, but I should be getting to that soon.

I was also oddly enamored with Lime-iro Senkitan/Ryukitan because they were at that weird point where they were expressing modern enough concepts, but also outdated enough that they had that curio factor. This is saying a lot about my tastes.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02 19

Ken decides to make Chimeramon, which is what you think it is.

Anyway, seeing Devimon getting absorbed pissed Takeru off to the point that he goes up to Kaiser, mocks him, and then beats the shit out of him. Fucking awesome.

NEXT TIME, GOLD EXPERIENCE

Aria the Natural 14

i45Zxt762mJ5P.jpg

God damn Aria-sachou how old are you?

Really really loved this episode and how it gave such a huge meaning to Akari and her place in the Aria Company. It sort of reminded me of the beginning of Hidamari Sketch where the cast made the signs for Hidamari Apartments, although I think the sentiment was much more apparent and resonated stronger in this episode. I'm still absolutely loving the world building and the miscellaneous characters Akari and company meet along the way.
---

To anyone who's read the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou manga, are the OVAs a decent place to begin before I start reading? I usually like to know what the main characters will sound like before I start delving into the manga.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aria the Natural 14

Really really loved this episode and how it gave such a huge meaning to Akari and her place in the Aria Company. It sort of reminded me of the beginning of Hidamari Sketch where the cast made the signs for Hidamari Apartments, although I think the sentiment was much more apparent and resonated stronger in this episode. I'm still absolutely loving the world building and the miscellaneous characters Akari and company meet along the way.
---

To anyone who's read the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou manga, are the OVAs a decent place to begin before I start reading? I usually like to know what the main characters will sound like before I start reading.

Mars cats are immortal. lol

And if I remember, the OVAs are basically just the opening chapters of the manga, so it works as an introduction. And Choro Club does the music for it as well, which is nice.

I wish it got made into a series though. It's a perfect companion to Aria too!

Mars cats are immortal. lol

And if I remember, the OVAs are basically just the opening chapters of the manga, so it works as an introduction. And Choro Club does the music for it as well, which is nice.

I wish it got made into a series though. It's a perfect companion to Aria too!

Aria bringing his somewhat sensible and adorable babbling to generation upon generation, what a man.

Also cool, I'll eventually give the YKK OVAs a shot before reading. Definitely sounds like my cup of tea.

As long as we're talking about early anime experiences, for a long time I've had what I consider the rare trinity. Koi Koi 7, Happy Seven and Rakugo Tennyo Oyui. I've seen the first and last one. I got a little obsessed with Koi Koi 7, doing things like watching the entire anime in one go (before simulcasting took off, so this was without subs), and purchasing all of the rare character song albums. It's a recurring thing for me.

Though it was a fairly typical harem comedy, the whole thing with Nana Mizuki's Yayoi Asuka with the eyepatch and everyone being cyborgs and how weird the whole thing was basically turned into a fascination with this show. The tone of Nana Mizuki's "Lost Days" contrasted with the tone the rest of the anime was going for and the whole thing was captivating.

I saw Oyui a little later, and found it to be the kind of show I would enjoy, before I really knew what rakugo was. (Joshiraku would correct this.) Alternate history, tanukis, time travel, fun stuff. I have yet to see Happy Seven, but I should be getting to that soon.

I was also oddly enamored with Lime-iro Senkitan/Ryukitan because they were at that weird point where they were expressing modern enough concepts, but also outdated enough that they had that curio factor. This is saying a lot about my tastes.

I saw Koi Koi 7 a real long time ago. I looked up a clip on youtube and after seeing that blonde girl and that girl with the big forehead, I can remember somewhat of it. I remember I laughed a lot when I watched it because the antagonist reminded me of Team Rocket a little bit.

Isn't this the anime where he has a harem and
they eventually all start living with him
or something?

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 20

Motherfucking Magnamon bitches~!

Darkness keeps going through Ken, he really can't handle it. Wormmon is now siding with good to save his Ken.

Hearing that Digimon were flesh and blood made Ken freeze for a bit. Time to settle things, what with Chimeramon wrecking shit

Midonin

I saw Koi Koi 7 a real long time ago. I looked up a clip on youtube and after seeing that blonde girl and that girl with the big forehead, I can remember somewhat of it. I remember I laughed a lot when I watched it because the antagonist reminded me of Team Rocket a little bit.

Isn't this the anime where he has a harem and
they eventually all start living with him
or something?
I know the end involved a beach episode that relied on opening a gate to another dimension. And the end of the manga being even weirder, though I don't think anyone's translated it that far. Or ever will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom