• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 21

With that, the Kaizer plot line is over
Too bad Wormmon is dead you plebin.

Ken fully realized that they were alive, and clearly came here to escape reality. Seeing Wormmon die made him recall someone getting shot, probably his brother. God damn. Ken is a fucking mess now, but can you blame him?

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 22

Clearly we can still go to the digital world, that must mean we're needed right?

Apparently so. What did we learn today? Don't watch a Tortoise pee or it'll try to kill you. But now with the Kaiser plot over, we can give them Champion forms now! Now with XV-Mon, because there's a V and X on his chest, how clever.

Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You 12

I really wish they spent more time on Nagi's parents.

I guess at least that had the action of a final episode.

And another case of Sugita in drag.

Articalys

Cross-posting from the Wolf Children OT:

-------------------------------------------------------------

The English-dubbed version of the movie is finally having a proper non-festival, non-anime-event limited theatrical run in Los Angeles for one week, starting today, September 27.

http://wolfchildrenmovie.com/events...in-los-angeles-september-27-october-3-2013-6/
http://www.laemmle.com/films/37440

Additionally, people anywhere in the U.S. can try to get a local screening through a Kickstarter-like platform called Tugg.
The Tugg, Inc. platform allows users to create a Tugg event in their city of choice and share it via social media. The film only screens (and participants only charged for their tickets) if enough tickets are reserved.
http://www.tugg.com/titles/wolf-children

Noirulus

JoJo's Bizarre Adventures - 01

I... I think I've rekindled my love for anime. My heart rate was skyrocketing at various points during the episode. Fuck you Dio!

wonzo

Banned
Personality, Gender, and Age in the Language of Social Media: The Open-Vocabulary Approach
Our open-vocabulary analysis yields further insights into the behavioral residue of personality types beyond those from a priori word-category based approaches, giving unanticipated results (correlations between language and personality, gender, or age). For example, we make the novel discoveries that mentions of an assortment of social sports and life activities (such as basketball, snowboarding, church, meetings) correlate with emotional stability, and that introverts show an interest in Japanese media (such as anime, pokemon, manga and Japanese emoticons: ˆ_ˆ).
78zd9.png

buncha loners itt

cajunator

Banned
Also lol at sports representing emotional stability. Some of the craziest sumbitches in the world are sports fans. I gotta say I do feed off the crazy energy in a stadium environment. I thrive in it. Best times ever.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 23

A Dedicated Ken episode where it was just him, his family, and understanding of what he did, what led to it, and where it ends (or rather continues as a new beginning) for Ken, one where I realized I'm too sentimental, which ended up with me taking more time to finish this episode.

I think it's also partly how it was directed, rather similar in how music wasn't thoughtlessly used,
dealing with pressure of being a genius and how Ken basically became his brother's shadow, right down to how he looked.

He was even given brief amnesia, where it was used to have him understand what he really meant to his parents, on top of how they realized they were terrible for not letting Ken be who he is, and probably his older brother as well. The way the dialogue was set up gave this a darker feel than the initial flash of his brother dying back in 21.

Another well done episode.

Articalys

I'm amused that a bunch of British slang got grouped together in one of the sections around "neuroticism".

(Seriously, how do you stumble across stuff like this?)

Rewatch Digimon Adventure: 24

Looks like shits brewing down below, new plot developments, a strange new chick, and Black Towers.

Speaking of which.... BLACK TOWERS are back! WHY CAN'T WE DIGIVOLVE NORMALLY?!

HMMM IT CAN'T BE THOSE TWO STRANGE DARK TOWERS IN THE BACKGROUND! NOOOO, CLEARLY THAT'S NOT THE REASON! How the fuck did you not notice those two fuckers in the back ground, can you see paint dammit!?

Two new Digivolutions, Stingmon, and Anklyomon! Whoo! And we'll get Hawkmon's next time.

Soma

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen Ep. 13

Well that almost seemed kinda conclusive for a second there.

Also, Kanaria > others

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 25

You know what, at the rate things are going, I'm going to miss this track.

So....
Dark Towers can now be used to become Digimon from Hair. lol.

Yolei Ken pairing is starting again, she now understands him, and wants his D, but not as a poplar person.

Rewatch Digimon World 02: 26

Right when I say that, it plays again.

Also DNA Digivolve/Jogress is a thing! Based Paildramon is here!

Cody's still a twerp. I know you don't trust Ken for what he did, but at least he's attempting to atone man.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 27

Final episode for tonight.

That fight went on for a bit more than I expect. But I guess that's why they can't go Ultimate; Really went all out on nerfing Gatomon and the rest.

Something about using their Crests to do shit, and doing so prevented them from going beyond Champion, also referenced with Omnimon existing before that moment to tie together the whole DNA/Jogress dealio that just happened.

Rozen Maiden 13

Well-executed as always, but I'm disappointed that the season didn't end with the material of the first half, as I had expected it to. The second half felt like it was tacked on by mandate of the producers, to tease a new plot arc in order to get people to buy the manga. Ah well. Even if it makes the show less satisfying as a total package, it doesn't seriously detract from the great accomplishment it was and certainly not from the great enjoyment I had out of it. I look forward to whatever Hatakeyama directs next, which is hopefully not another season of Rozen Maiden (not that that's likely anyhow).

LayLa

Random 10 DVD Dregathon

DVD 09: Speed Grapher (2005) Episodes 9-12
Audio options: Sub & dub (5.1)
Extras: Short about English voice casting, OP & ED, trailers

This was GLORIOUS.
This Dregathon has turned into an education on the wonders of Gonzo, and Speed Grapher is the show that will make me remember the studio's name forever. Is there a phrase for a cell that blatantly doesn't blend with the background? Because hoo boy there was a hell of a lot of that.

m7NqGVo.jpg

that levitating maid

The translation also had some amazing lines.

70lOirB.jpg

i'm so gonna use this line IRL

So many scenes that made me genuinely laugh out loud, I wanted to make this post just a series of gifs but thought that might be a bit obnoxious.
Here's just one that really tickled me though.

GONZO YOU ARE A TREAT

Do I want to watch the rest? Kind of tempted to skip through the rest of it for the lulz
What would Hunter S Thompson had made of it?: 1/10

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C³-bu/Stella Women's Acadamy Episode 13:

Right, so I am kind of at a loss with this episode, indeed as expected this thing certainly is not in regular continuity
unless we are seeing the power of the reality marble again.
and not really needed either. I suppose it gets the job of doing the airsoft thing with the wacky comedy hi jinx and the fanservice well enough. Oh, right, also the yuri, so much yuri subtext, I don't know who they are trying to fool at this point. At best the episode is light and ariy but also rather pointless and very readily ignored. I suppose if this episode has a use, it is a reaffirmation of the central gimmick. I'll be honest, I am glad the entire series didn't look like this as it would have been a far weaker product.

Series Analysis: Ah yes, this has been one of the more maligned shows of the season, not hard to see why. Indeed, I will accede that this series had its problems, among them a very shaky beginning, culminating in some rally wretched episodes in the middle. A distinct lack of the signature Gainax touch; I do get why some exclaim that Gainax is dead were it not for the supernatural elements, this a show that could be done by Shaft or Kyoto Animation really. Some were put off by the gimmick of the show and personally I did not have a problem with all of the gun fetishism. Indeed, one reason why I will say this show is better then K-On! is that, for better or for worse, this show never forgot it was supposed to be about airsoft. This is also the kind of show that rewarded patience as the series got stronger as it became apparent what the true focus was. I have stated this before, but this was a coming of age story for a shy little girl and how she experienced radical shifts in personality via her interactions with her friends and rivals. Basically this is what Watamote would have looked like had it not shit the bed on that front. Seriously, there was only so many times you could pull out that false hope before my apathy set in there. I will call this the hidden gem of the season and indeed better then it had any right to be. Currently trending at number 4 on my AOTY list, though I expect this to tumble once the Fall starts.

Thoraxes

JoJo's Bizarre Adventures - 01

I... I think I've rekindled my love for anime. My heart rate was skyrocketing at various points during the episode. Fuck you Dio!

Man, I need to watch it again.

Need my manly blood to boil as hot as the sun and rekindle my manliness.

Shergal

Indeed, one reason why I will say this show is better then K-On! is that, for better or for worse, this show never forgot it was supposed to be about airsoft.
K-On wasn't ever really supposed to be about music though.

Yeah, I don't understand why it's so difficult for people to accept that K-ON is about a music club, not about music itself. But we've been down this road many times.

cnet128

Banned
Sunday Without God end

Is this a copout, or should I not care because it was sweet anyway?

From reading the promo text/reviews of the following novel on Amazon JP, I get the impression that this act has some definite consequences, so I wouldn't call it a cop-out. It did seem like a sweet note to end the series on, though.

Random 10 DVD Dregathon

DVD 09: Speed Grapher (2005) Episodes 9-12

aaaaaaahhhhhhh my trauma is resurfacing

were it not for the supernatural elements, this a show that could be down by Shaft or Kyoto Animation really.

wat

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If you want a music anime watch BECK. It's much better as well.

Duly noted, though I should note, this isn't so much about K-On! and more about while Stella is very much in the same mold as K-On! I think it is much better then K-On! because this show was not only about airsoft but the about the people who play this game and indeed how airsoft plays a role in their lives, good and bad.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
From reading the promo text/reviews of the following novel on Amazon JP, I get the impression that this act has some definite consequences, so I wouldn't call it a cop-out. It did seem like a sweet note to end the series on, though.

aaaaaaahhhhhhh my trauma is resurfacing

wat

Sorry, that was typo, is has been fixed. What I am saying is Stella mostly lacks that old Gainax idiosyncratic touch. That signature what the fuck style found in everything from Evagellion to His and Her Circumstances to FLCL to Panty and Stocking to Gurren Lagan to the upcoming Kill La Kill.

Sorry, that was typo, is has been fixed. What I am saying is Stella mostly lacks that old Gainax idiosyncratic touch. That signature what the fuck style found in everything from Evagellion to His and Her Circumstances to FLCL to Panty and Stocking to Gurren Lagan to the upcoming Kill La Kill.

I don't know if you pay attention to or care about visuals at all, but there are a number of reasons related to their execution why C3-bu could not be produced by Shaft or KyoAni. Not that either of those studios is a stranger to supernatural elements, so your mention of them makes no sense to begin with.

Yeah C3 lacks Imaishi.

Or Anno, for the older Gainax touch.

jediyoshi

Love Lab 13

FfG5KEO.png

No real low points this episode, just nice and Maki/Riko focused. I actually liked Sayo and Suzu this time around, who I could usually do without.

Liked the cram school scene and Yan/Nagi's roles.
Nagi's sticking up for Maki still felt a little unrewarded at the end by Riko
, though I could just be playing up the idea that they should be hooking up in my head.

The
actual confession at Maki's house was great. Maybe a little convoluted towards the middle, but considering how long a time it's been coming, it's whatevs.
I could watch the Rabus cutely crying all day.

Maybe it could have used a bit more Eno.

Hw4khOj.png

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I don't know if you pay attention to or care about visuals at all, but there are a number of reasons related to their execution why C3-bu could not be produced by Shaft or KyoAni. Not that either of those studios is a stranger to supernatural elements, so your mention of them makes no sense to begin with.

Or Anno, for the older Gainax touch.
To say any more ventures into spoiler territory. Also, you are getting way to hung up on specifics, replace Shaft or Kyoto with Sunrise or Toei. The basic point is Stella looks bland and generic, it looks like something that could have come out of any anime studio. That isone reason why this show is decried.

To say any more ventures into spoiler territory. Also, you are getting way to hung up on specifics, replace Shaft or Kyoto with Sunrise or Toei. The basic point is Stella looks bland and generic, it looks like something that could have come out of any anime studio. That isone reason why this show is decried.

C3-bu does look bland and generic, and it is for that very reason that it could not be a Shaft or KyoAni show since, for better or worse, those studios have certain styles to their productions that makes them recognizable as a Shaft or KyoAni product.

wonzo

Banned
C3-bu does look bland and generic, and it is for that very reason that it could not be a Shaft or KyoAni show since, for better or worse, those studios have certain styles to their productions that makes them recognizable as a Shaft or KyoAni product.
Exactly, modern day Gainax shows look like they're two parts removed from something DEEN or JC Staff would make*.

*not recently though as they've really stepped the fuck up for the most part

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Love Lab Episode 13:
Between this show and Stella there is a lot of KISS ALREADY, GOD DAMN IT, WE KNOW YOU WANT TO! going on this season. Anyway, it is a real testament to the quality of the show that they can make the stupid and tedious trope on display somewhat bearable. Still tested my patience at points, with the nadir being the cram school material. We finally get to the big confession and we see a nice blending of heavy emotions as all misconceptions are cleared and they have that big best friends cry. Indeed we see the entire love lab reaffirm their friendship the only way they know how, hilarious cruelty. The first issue of their secret paper is published, a second season is teased, but considering the DVD sales, I don't think another is coming.

Series Analysis: By jove, this was a fun ride, indeed another stunner for the season and I am earnest shocked how consistently funny and entertaining this show was. Riko and Maki had some of the best chemistry I have seen from an anime duo in a long while, and it took a bit of time but Sayo, Eno and, well, not so much Suzu, she kind of bored me, but the group as a whole found a good comedic groove. I think a big reason why I liked this show so much is it was a comedy focused around some very skewed and ridiculous notions of love and not a romantic comedy. I'll be frank, Nagi and Jan sucked on the whole. Well, I supposed Jan had some deadpan snarker moments, but beyond that they were underdeveloped generic foils that brought wearisome tsundere proceedings to the mix. I suppose that comes down to this show not really knowing if it wants to be a het or a yuri show. I keep being told that this is a het show, but it wears too many yuri trappings for that to be true, yet it also shied away from that other side, keeping it mostly to funny background events. Also, the prospect of more Nagi and Jan makes me glad we are only getting one season most likely. Still, all and all, this is depending on the day, my show of the season and my AOTY.

wonzo

Banned
Love Lab 13 END

lovelab13.jpg

Definitely one of the most bipolar episodes of anything I've seen and Gintama this ain't. This was a rather lacking ending of a series I really enjoyed the hell out of and I really do hope we get a second season focusing more on the boys whom really should've had a larger presence than they did.

huggy > maki > WINE > suzu > eno = sayo

Love Lab 13 END

lovelab13.jpg

Definitely one of the most bipolar episodes of anything I've seen and Gintama this ain't. This was a rather lacking ending of a series I really enjoyed the hell out of and I really do hope we get a second season focusing more on the boys whom really should've had a larger presence than they did.

huggy > maki > WINE > suzu > eno = sayo

BD
*3, *2,737 *2,737 Love Lab vol.1

DVD
10, **,954 *,***,954 Love Lab vol.1

=(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom