• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone got those numbers.

Oricon Comic Rankings September 16th - September 22nd

01. Magi #18 (311,414)
02. Magi Sinbad no Bouken #1 (145,212)
03. Skip Beat! #33 (132,490)
04. Chihayafuru #22 (128,385 / 278,798)
05. Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai #23 (105,847)
06. Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi #53 (70,944)
07. Naruto #66 (70,037 / 921,506)
08. Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo #9 (69,183)
09. Ballroom e Youkoso #5 (68,323)
10. L♥DK #13 (62,327 / 122,511)
11. Hayate no Gotoku! #38 (61,688)
12. Gakuen Alice #31 (60,921)
13. Hayate no Gotoku! Limited Edition #38 (56,387)
14. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso #7 (48,420)
15. Rin #3 (48,230)
16. Code:Breaker #26 (46,209)
17. Bakaramon #8 (43,580)
18. Tenshi 1/2 Houteishiki #4 (42,440)
19. Boku o Tsutsumu Tsuki no Hikari -Boku Tama Jisedai-hen- #13 (41,530)
20. Yume no Shizuku, Kin no Torikago #4 (40,433 / 150,325)
21. Fantasista Stella #4 (40,311)
22. Kyou no Kira-kun #6 (39,319 / 78,396)
23. Shingeki no Kyojin #1 (36,022 / 2,194,756)
24. Be Blues!~Ao ni Nare~ #11 (35,490)
25. Gin Gitsune #9 (35,102)
26. Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome #7 (34,592)
27. Shingeki no Kyojin #2 (34,026 / 2,133,549)
28. Watashi ga Motenai no wa dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! #5 (33,288)
29. Shingeki no Kyojin #9 (33,198 / 1,775,904)
30. Shingeki no Kyojin #3 (32,690 / 2,079,592)
31. Shingeki no Kyoijn #8 (32,433 / 1,802,750)
32. Saint☆Oniisan #9 (31,825 / 632,689)
33. Shingeki no Kyojin #4 (31,637 / 1,953,322)
34. Sakura no Hana no Koucha Ouji #1 (31,604)
35. Shingeki no Kyojin #5 (31,018 / 1,917,735)
36. Shingeki no Kyojin #6 (30,549 / 1,876,676)
37. Shingeki no Kyojin #7 (30,148 / 1,803,332)
38. Shingeki no Kyojin #10 (29,965 / 1,744,015)
39. Shin Tennis no Oujisama #11 (29,096 / 253,784)
40. Gintama #51 (28,940 / 307,639)
41. Kuroshitsuji #17 (25,090 / 520,405)
42. Kyoukai no Rinne #18 (25,022)
43. One Piece #71 (24,963 / 2,758,456)
44. Days #2 (24,745)
45. Itoshi no Muuko #4 (24,181)
46. Btooom! #12 (24,116 / 105,620)
47. Shingeki no Kyojin #11 (24,055 / 1,282,218)
48. Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai Guidebook (22,956)
49. Shokugeki no Souma #4 (22,773 / 252,975)
50. Taiyou no Ie #9 (22,765 / 44,131)

This is the most recent sales data

sonicmj1

Love Lab END

I kinda wish that Riko's confession wasn't spread across two episodes. So much stalling...

I went into this season with pretty low expectations, and in the end my two favorite shows were ones I didn't even have on my radar. Love Lab is a really fun comedy. The comic chemistry between the two leads was great the whole way through, and I was surprised by how well-animated certain parts were. Good animation can add a lot to the humor. Maki's reactions to Nagi in their scene at the cram school in episode 12 was a good example of that, I thought.

Besides the few times where the drama got laid on a little heavier than I'd like, my only disappointment is that all the awesome characters introduced outside of the school didn't get as much screentime as they deserved. Nagi, Yan, and Riko's younger brother were involved in some of my favorite scenes in the show. But that just means that the next season has plenty of room for excellent new comedy, right?

The sooner we return to the Love Lab, the better.

Kiniro Mosaic END

I went into this show hoping it was something it never really intended to be. Luckily, between the second part of the first episode and the second one, I was pretty quickly disabused of the notion that there'd be any real interest in reflecting the difficulties of cultural exchange between English-speaking foreign students and the Japanese. Much of the time, the only way you could really tell that Alice and Karen weren't Japanese was by the blond hair.

But unrealistic expectations aside, it was fun. It wasn't particularly energetic, but it had a nice rhythm of friends hanging out and enjoying each other's company. It was inoffensive and warm, and occasionally a joke would actually land well.

The only times Kiniro Mosaic actually surprised me by going above and beyond were the very beginning and the very end, but they were both great sequences that broke the show's typical mold. Much of the time the show felt like it was going through the 4koma motions, but the rare risks it took really paid off.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, looks like Love Lab is getting that one season. Also, Nagi, Yan and Riko's brother are always going to be broccoli, side dishes at best.

Sengoku Basara S2 (1-end)
tumblr_msy3y1R0qL1qhqx1vo1_500.png

Takenaka is like the best product from this franchise since Yukimura sanada and Sarutobi Sasuke. He was like the breath of fresh air needed to really ignite the franchise and make season 2 even more epic and intense than season one. Perfect strategist and personality. Terrible that the writing did take a nosedive as the episodes went on but at least the bonus episode was utterly hilarious.
Clueless Yukimura is best Yukimura and Date getting in on it too. But for the writing, didnt like that Takenaka had to suffer from some innate condition that really made him weak as things went on. I think it could have been just as good if he didnt have that and actually was outwitted at some point. Ill just imagine that in a s3 he makes a triumphant return, since whats her face who ought to have died somehow was able to survive alone in that room with the demon like entity even though we saw her take a fatal wound.

The ost felt extremely familiar though was really intense.

Good purchase from Funi.

cajunator

Banned
New key visual/poster for Madoka Magica The Rebellion Story, drawn by Ume-sensei.

Ume art is perfection.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventures - 01

I... I think I've rekindled my love for anime. My heart rate was skyrocketing at various points during the episode. Fuck you Dio!

Congrats on discovering one of the best things ever.

Random 10 DVD Dregathon

DVD 09: Speed Grapher (2005) Episodes 9-12
Audio options: Sub & dub (5.1)
Extras: Short about English voice casting, OP & ED, trailers

This was GLORIOUS.
This Dregathon has turned into an education on the wonders of Gonzo, and Speed Grapher is the show that will make me remember the studio's name forever. Is there a phrase for a cell that blatantly doesn't blend with the background? Because hoo boy there was a hell of a lot of that.

The translation also had some amazing lines.

So many scenes that made me genuinely laugh out loud, I wanted to make this post just a series of gifs but thought that might be a bit obnoxious.
Here's just one that really tickled me though.

GONZO YOU ARE A TREAT

Do I want to watch the rest? Kind of tempted to skip through the rest of it for the lulz
What would Hunter S Thompson had made of it?: 1/10

Ahh yes Speed Grapher. A interesting premise ruined by execution and wrapped up in a Duran Duran covering (that strangely wasnt allowed in the Us version)

Yeah, I don't understand why it's so difficult for people to accept that K-ON is about a music club, not about music itself. But we've been down this road many times.

I dunno really. Its obviously about a club that sometimes plays music and has instruments but its not about the music they make but the silly lives they have.

Kagami

I think this season is pretty much over. Whats everyone's show of the season?
Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS

Speaking of which, BD vol. 1 just came out!

It's one of those sparkly covers that looks different at different angles.

Also this month, the VA singing unit RO-KYU-BU! released their second album, "Dear friends," as well as the BD version of the 2011 live tour video.
http://i7.minus.com/ivszIsQjyjpOE.jpg
http://i2.minus.com/iRQcSsssbB76O.jpg
Releasing this concert on BD through normal stores caused some angry one-star reviews on Amazon, because originally it was only available by buying all six volumes of the anime first season and sending off the vouchers to receive a DVD in the mail.
Personally I'm just happy to have it in HD, and I would have bought the anime BDs anyway. We anime-buyers got to have it on DVD as a timed-exclusive in any case.

Dengeki G's Festival vol. 35 just came out and it's a Ro-Kyu-Bu!-focused issue.
The cover illustration isn't risque but the dakimakura illustration in the bottom right is kind of NSFW.
http://i1.minus.com/iSgchuFo4gXHt.jpg
It goes on the stack with the other RKB magazines and stuff from I got at the beginning of the month.
http://i4.minus.com/ibmQCc72GPTIrC.jpg

Some of the magazines came with RKB earphone jack accessories, the sort of thing Tomoko has in WataMote.
ibjXv3gbHQBWlK.jpg

http://i6.minus.com/ixIm0MHHz1PYR.jpg
http://i5.minus.com/iO9OKIy1ixsy9.jpg
http://i1.minus.com/ibb4favpqA2i2h.jpg
http://i5.minus.com/i8EVI6xNJ5yA1.jpg

I also tracked down a couple of older RKB tapestries to decorate my media storage room. (NSFWish)
http://i7.minus.com/iQs4nJhhZVmdY.JPG

It's been a big month for Ro-Kyu-Bu!

cajunator

Banned
Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS

Speaking of which, BD vol. 1 just came out!

It's one of those sparkly covers that looks different at different angles.

Also this month, the VA singing unit RO-KYU-BU! released their second album, "Dear friends," as well as the BD version of the 2011 live tour video.
http://i7.minus.com/ivszIsQjyjpOE.jpg
http://i2.minus.com/iRQcSsssbB76O.jpg
Releasing this concert on BD through normal stores caused some angry one-star reviews on Amazon, because originally it was only available by buying all six volumes of the anime first season and sending off the vouchers to receive a DVD in the mail.
Personally I'm just happy to have it in HD, and I would have bought the anime BDs anyway. We anime-buyers got to have it on DVD as a timed-exclusive in any case.

Dengeki G's Festival vol. 35 just came out and it's a Ro-Kyu-Bu!-focused issue.
The cover illustration isn't risque but the dakimakura illustration in the bottom right is kind of NSFW.
http://i1.minus.com/iSgchuFo4gXHt.jpg
It goes on the stack with the other RKB magazines and stuff from I got at the beginning of the month.
http://i4.minus.com/ibmQCc72GPTIrC.jpg

Some of the magazines came with RKB earphone jack accessories, the sort of thing Tomoko has in WataMote.
ibjXv3gbHQBWlK.jpg

http://i6.minus.com/ixIm0MHHz1PYR.jpg
http://i5.minus.com/iO9OKIy1ixsy9.jpg
http://i1.minus.com/ibb4favpqA2i2h.jpg
http://i5.minus.com/i8EVI6xNJ5yA1.jpg

I also tracked down a couple of older RKB tapestries to decorate my media storage room. (NSFWish)
http://i7.minus.com/iQs4nJhhZVmdY.JPG

It's been a big month for Ro-Kyu-Bu!

Wow. You bought a shitload of PC games.

Midonin

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen
The Play's The Thing (Desu)

I only watched Rozen Maiden last year when I was on an Alice in Wonderland-related kick for reasons I have yet to fully figure out myself. So while I do remember the first series, it's not from a time when "~desu" was the meme running around 4chan.

The first thing I notice about this season how washed out the color palette is compared to the first entries. A deliberate choice, sure, but even the bright red of Shinku's dress ended up looking paler in comparison. The tone never became too despairing in spite of all this, but the changes from the original were clear. In many ways, the series seemed to be more about Jun.

To say nothing of the Rozen Maidens themselves. Only Shinku and Suigintou for the majority of the series' run, with everyone else coming into play near the end. There is something to be said for paring down a small cast, and a lot to be said for Kira. All those vines and the way she operated. Compared to Bara or first season Suigintou, there's a lot more atmospheric horror coming from her as opposed to being simply being a strong opponent. I wouldn't have minded a few more mentions of Rozen himself, but the storybook was a nice way of achieving some parallelism with everything going on.

In the end, the climax taking place in the N-Field was my favorite part of the series. The buildup to reach that point was really effective, though. I also liked Saitou a lot. Natsumi Takamori has been someone I'm keeping an eye on ever since she played Misaki. (Kamiigusa, not Mei.)

That cliffhanger ending... I'd like to see it followed up on, but even if it isn't, the series can stand on its own pretty nicely. It's familiar enough for someone who's seen the first series, but also establishes its own identity pretty early on. The OP and ED, even with the change of singer on the ED, are what I'd expect from a Rozen Maiden song.

Final Thoughts: Much more atmospheric and not really focusing on the Rozen Maidens themselves, yet also a very effective piece of storytelling. It's as much a story about self-confidence as it is about parallel dimensions and dolls. A pleasant watch.

Chronoexe

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 27

Final episode for tonight.

That fight went on for a bit more than I expect. But I guess that's why they can't go Ultimate; Really went all out on nerfing Gatomon and the rest.

Something about using their Crests to do shit, and doing so prevented them from going beyond Champion, also referenced with Omnimon existing before that moment to tie together the whole DNA/Jogress dealio that just happened.

I hate Season 2 for nerfing everyone of season 1 and Matt betraying Tai ;__;

Adventure=Tamers>Adventure2>>>>>>shit>>>>>>>Frontier

Boobs are like the butts of the chest.

Beautiful

I think samumenco is certainly way more exciting this far with what we know than tiger and bunny was, certainly better design than kotetsu. Sounds like what I wanted, so still have it as my most wanted non sequel anime this fall.

jbug617

Banned
Happy Birthday Chet.

Love Lab 13

I guess in the end it's a victory for Yuri. It was a good show this season with good chemistry between Maki and Riko.

I need some confirmation here. Does Hyouka have a
yandere
character in it? I haven't seen the show so I'm just curious is all.

I found this picture so I'm not sure if legit or not. I keep seeing this pic splattered everywhere.
(Hyouka spoiler)
Prison School Anime when? :(

When that scene happened I nearly fell out my chair laughing. I can't believe he went that far in that speech lol.

cajunator

Banned
yandere

I found this picture so I'm not sure if legit or not. I keep seeing this pic splattered everywhere.
(Hyouka spoiler)

When that scene happened I nearly fell out my chair laughing. I can't believe he went that far in that speech lol.

Thats just Chitanda. Shes curious but not a killer.
You should see her drunk.

Midonin

RO-KYU-BU! SS
And Loli Mondegreen

"show you guts cool say what" - Something that nobody thought the ED was saying the first time around. Japan's love of puns has always been one of my favorite things about their language. They're apparently not above using English to their own ends. Then there's the title of the ED itself. "Rolling! Rolling!" There's no way that wouldn't sound like what people are thinking it sounds like.

Puns aside, RKB wasn't one of those shows I expected to get a sequel, but I can appreciate a good sports anime as long as there's some fun characters at the center of it. The girls themselves got a bit more development - Saki getting some in particular, as well as Airi - and I liked the new 5th grade girls team. Except for Mimi, that all of them were connected in some way to a previously established character helped them get acclimated with the team fairly quickly.

The usual combination of sweetness and riding the line was there from the beginning, and there was certainly no shortage of shower scenes. My favorite scene was in the back half of the series, with Aoi and the boobs. I have to take whatever I can get in a series full of flat chests. With the exception of Airi.

Mihoshi didn't get as much screentime as last season. Now that Subaru's settled into his coaching thing, I guess the plot device that got him into it is no longer as necessary. Natsuhi took a bit of a backseat to his sisters this time around, but newcomers like Rena did expand on the basketball world of the series a bit too.

That was a cute flashback at the end. Destiny and meetings that happened before either party knew it are quite common in anime, but most of the time, they work, thematically.

The final game
once again ending on a loss... at least there were several smaller victories along the way. As they say, it's not how you win or lose, but how you play the game. The basketball isn't getting too supernatural, just highly skilled, and the camera angles and such make it fun to watch.

Putting the main girls in middle school does pretty safely end the story here. Two seasons is usually plenty for most anime.

OP and ED were both catchy, and the lyrics in the ED continue to make me laugh at how they got away with that. The series made that its motto this year more than ever. Including having Hina hum it at one point.

Final Thoughts: Grounded basketball, cuteness and all of it depending on how much steam you're able to take. I found it a fine successor to the second season, liking all the new characters introduced, even if some old ones had to be shafted for that to happen.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
yandere

(Hyouka spoiler)

Lol that picture is shopped.

Also happens to be more interesting than the entire show.

Fuck Mayaka. Team Chitanda for life.

Mayaka is fat.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Darn, thought I finally found a reason to start up the show.

I think its worth watching. You might enjoy it. Some of the dorama shit (mainly involving Mayaka) is really unbearable to watch but the rest of it is whatever.

Show looks great though. At least watch some of it for Chitanda's lovely eyes.

Defuser

Love Lab final
A average show with hits and misses but Maki and the guys are the only ones that is carrying the show especially Maki.

Too bad we won't get a season 2. I want more boys interaction.

BD
*3, *2,737 *2,737 Love Lab vol.1

DVD
10, **,954 *,***,954 Love Lab vol.1

=(

3691 people bought for Maki.

Prison School Anime when? :(

I won't accept a Prison school anime if they don't use Yu Kobayashi as the sweaty macho dominatrix sadist vice president.

Midonin

This is the first season in... probably ever that I'm going to watch both noitaminA shows. The only shows I've seen from that block are Kuragehime (because it was on some level about otaku), Ano Hana (because Anaru) and Robotics;Notes (because it's the Science Adventure series. I love that!).

I also saw some of [C], but never got very far into it.

However, an adventure show about three sisters (which that link hints is a robot anime) and a toku anime? I am so there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom