• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

didnt like that Takenaka had to suffer from some innate condition that really made him weak as things went on. I think it could have been just as good if he didnt have that and actually was outwitted at some point.

Hanbei Takenaka's sickness is his most famous trait though. It's like Yukimura wearing red and Masamune's eye patch. Even in something like Basara, which isn't trying to be historically accurate at all, those elements are part of their character due to how defining they are to their images.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
fiyahawku is correct about the YKK OVAs working as a good intro to the mango. I can't remember if they're an exact correlation to the opening of the mango, but they get the atmosphere down well.

If you like Aria, you'll probably like YKK and vice versa, as they've got similar vibes. Which is why I tried pestering firehawk into reading the manga ages ago, after he'd watched the OVAs; I'm still not sure if that attempt was ever successful.
The manga is just too long, icarus-dono. It's on the backlog with lots of other things I should read/watch. lol

Hey Anime Limited picked up Garden of Words for BD/DVD release in the UK. Apparently we only got 5cm on DVD. I probably shouldn't be surprised by that.

But make sure you watch the dub! It is superior, music and all.

But watch NANA instead anyway.

Why am I just finding this out now. Gonna have to watch it again, or at least sample the dub.

Love Lab 13 END

And so for the most part, we end with a Maki/Riko focused episode, but with the added characters making a bit of commentary.

It's so nice that we're
not
guaranteed a second season to focus more on dudes and whatnot, it puts me at ease
but not really.

More importantly, I did enjoy this series, because it was actually funny, although the boys themselves don't have much development, and with the idea that it'll be one season only, it really sticks out.
If it was yuri focused outside of the parents and relatives, then that was fine.
. Also drama is a bit of a weird thing when it's the complete opposite of the show, sometimes it works, other times it's just uuugh.

Oh well.

Noirulus

JoJo's Bizarre Adventures - 08

DIO IS DEFEATED, ZEPPELIN-SAN HAS BEEN AVENGED, AND THE WORLD IS SAVED!

HUMANITY PREVAILS!

Tenumi

Banned
Yes! Pretty Cure 5: 23

uAapStA.jpg
Nk2DpG0.jpg

Well, this has taken a turn for the creepy. But, its just about midseason, so that means big plot development soon, probably.

duckroll

Official Site: http://www.shashinkan-aoshigure.com/
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-bhtuM8a6s

Not sure if anyone ever posted about this before, but some time back, Studio Colorido announced that they were making two anime projects with interesting talent. One is Shashinkan directed by Takashi Nakamura of Fantastic Children and A Tree of Palme fame. He's also writing and animating it. The other project was Hinata no Aoshigure written and directed by Hiroyasu Ishida who is known for his Youtube videos Fumiko's Confession and Rain Town.

Today the site updated with a new trailer for both projects to announce that they're short films which will be screened in a single cinema in Japan on October 3rd.

Shashinkan also features art direction by Shinji Kimura who most recently worked on the Blue Exorcist movie everyone loved. Aoshigure's character designs are by Yojiro Arai, with animation direction and key animation by Yojiro Arai and Kei Masaki. Both Arai and Masaki are very new to the animation industry, so it's nice to see young animators get more exposure.

Joe Molotov

JoJo's Bizarre Adventures - 2, 3 & 4

Straight flexin'

This show is so cheesy and over the top and I can't stop watching it.

Also... SONO CHI NO SADAMEEE

edit: Happy b-day Chet Rippo :)

This is why Jojo won 2012 AOTY in GAF's anime ranking thread.

In an alternate universe where everything is the way it should be.

LayLa

The other project was Hinata no Aoshigure written and directed by Hiroyasu Ishida who is known for his Youtube videos Fumiko's Confession and Rain Town.

yesssssssssssssss have been really hyped for Hiroyasu Ishida's short since discovering him on youtube - these are two beautiful pictures i found when previously looking for info about it

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 28

It's a trap! Also come on people, I'm sure Hikari and Yolei (because I can't remember her japanese name) can defend themselves. Jesus. I'm guessing it's because Hikari is there, and she might as well be the moe character.

Anyway, seems Strange Woman ensnared them in a trap with all the bugs infesting a giant house, and having Stingmon there fucked over XV-mon... having Armadimon turn into Digmon only screwed them over even more
kneeslap

Official Site: http://www.shashinkan-aoshigure.com/
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-bhtuM8a6s

Not sure if anyone ever posted about this before, but some time back, Studio Colorido announced that they were making two anime projects with interesting talent. One is Shashinkan directed by Takashi Nakamura of Fantastic Children and A Tree of Palme fame. He's also writing and animating it. The other project was Hinata no Aoshigure written and directed by Hiroyasu Ishida who is known for his Youtube videos Fumiko's Confession and Rain Town.

Today the site updated with a new trailer for both projects to announce that they're short films which will be screened in a single cinema in Japan on October 3rd.

Shashinkan also features art direction by Shinji Kimura who most recently worked on the Blue Exorcist movie everyone loved. Aoshigure's character designs are by Yojiro Arai, with animation direction and key animation by Yojiro Arai and Kei Masaki. Both Arai and Masaki are very new to the animation industry, so it's nice to see young animators get more exposure.

Kimura! And Ishida! Great to see both old and new talent supported in this fashion. I hope it isn't too long before I'll be able to watch these.

Midonin

Gatchaman Crowds
Tachikawa Academy Z-Cune Hajime

I am a huuuuuuge fan of Maaya Uchida. Ever since she appeared on Akibaranger, being one of the voice actresses I could put a face to the name helped me get attached to her. Also, she voiced the heroine of the show within a show, and while Z-Cune Aoi has never been more than a background element, I love it like it was real. Then she was cast as Rikka around the same time, letting me experience her actress getting involved in delusions in the anime and toku worlds.

I never saw Tsuritama. Too many dudes for my taste, and I rarely watch noitaminA, though I'm slowly reassessing my opinions on fandom lately. Or waiting for something to catch my eye. So I was not aware of the pedigree of this show going in, only that it starred one of my favorite VAs in a superhero show, which, really, is all I needed.

And Hajime was wonderful. Her character design is a lot like Lucy's. Common enough for a protagonist, but also unique. I realize I may be conflating "unique character design" with "larger than average tits", which is really my biases speaking. Flat-chested characters can be designed well too, but I like a little bounce. Not just the boobs, though. Her cheerful personality that makes Mana Aida look reserved, and all her little idiosyncrasies. Now, I love magical girl shows, for they're superhero shows with a female cast, but having a female lead in a superhero show with otherwise a lot of guys is either/both a sign of the times and a great leap forward. More shows could do with something like this.

I also like Utsutsu, who's a good example of flat-chested character design. She's a great example of the emotionless type. Everyone - Jou, Sugane, OD, Paiman (a surprising role for Aya Hirano) - they all got their moment to shine. Even if OD and Utsutsu and Paipai had their forms held off until later, the reveals were made that much cooler. Episode 10's ending comes to mind. That was such an Avengers moment.

CGI'd superheroes are becoming quite common, aren't they? T&B and now this. The blending is getting better, and if I can deal with lesser quality CGI in shows like Aikatsu for its dance sequences or Gyrozetter for its robots, then it, too, is a sign of the times. That's what I liked about this show. Social media has been a consistent thing in anime since it came into being in the real world, but this one really explored the consequences of it. The pacing may have been a little weird, like that recap in the first half of episode 11, but I can let that fault slide because of the rest of the show was always interesting to watch in where it would go next, and the designs of the G-Suits were varied and pretty cool.

I love what it has to say about heroism. Hajime solves problems by talking to people, and even if it involved turning reality into a game of Candy Crush, it showed that our Twitters and Facebooks and such can still be used for good. We don't have the ability to transport ourselves physically across space and time yet, but the internet can get people mobilized to do good things. Even if the internet occasionally gives signs it's filled with the worst of humanity (present company excluded, you're all awesome), humans are all ultimately altruistic underneath. That's the kind of message I want in my shows.

I also loved the visual design. I did a report on superflat once, and this show is clearly inspired by that. Perhaps I'll get back to [C] so I can see more of it, though I like what Gatchaman is doing more. Superheroes are something I'll always take time out to watch. The opening was nifty, even if it was barely comprehensible at times, and the ending is Uchida, so... love.

Final Thoughts: Though it discarded a lot of the trappings of the original Gatchaman, it has enough threads that I hope it can be accepted as part of the franchise. Even without them, it's a fine superhero show for the modern age, with perhaps the best lead of the season. Also, I would like to see Kirihime and Hajime scissor.

Nafe

http://i.imgur.com/hYwCXHml.jpg
TNG tried, of course. But even then, once they got Troi out of her weird dresses, they all had normal uniforms at some point. lol

Haha, it looks like he only half remembered it was casual Friday. That or he's on his way to the transporter for an away mission to a tropical island planet or something,haha.

I forget the actresses name but there was the character Seven of Nine later and her body suit kind of like in Yamato 2199. It also seems like more and more girls in a bunch of places are wearing really tight jeans or yoga pants or really short shorts. The same goes for tops as well. Some guys like it but many seem to be asking if it's really appropriate for public. Maybe some girls will actually not mind or like wearing those kind of outfits in the future then,who knows.

As someone who hasn't seen the original Yamato or Starblazers, the style of the song itself evokes nostalgia for a simpler period of television. So yeah, I can see thinking it was made to be of the period.

I suppose it also makes sense why they got rid of it for the TV broadcast.

I haven't seen any either. Maybe not the whole show but I might watch the first episode or two just to see how it compares. That or maybe I'll just skim through the animesuki thread.

What's the TV opening like? Did someone put that on YouTube as well?

Yamato sort of sits in this weird middle ground. So the idea of being "out of range" of Earth is there, even though theoretically, even leaving Earth orbit would being to introduce lag in their communications.

But the rest of it is fairly magical. Reusing the Yamato because it's the only hull left on Earth, their version of the nuclear weapon, the actual jumps through space, telepathic aliens, and so on.

I mean, here's one issue. On the one hand, they have a year to save Earth before it dies out. But other than the dates they give us in the previews, there's no real way to see how much time has passed because they both somehow suffer some time dilation effects while also run in "real time" because they both warp and travel at high speed. You just have to turn your brain off and accept the date to be whatever the captain says it is each week. lol

The feeling of "hard" probably comes from the fact that it's still very grounded in MilSciFi... and really, the military is very easy to replicate because all you need to do is have ranks, have people call each other "sir", and have them salute once in a while and it seems authentic. And that authenticity leads you to think of it as being more "real" than it might otherwise be.

Yeah, you notice it right away even with some of the character designs like the captain or the doctor guy. They look older in design but have that newer clean kind of digital look to them. Some things could go either way as well. I think it's the fourth episode where they're on the frozen moon of Jupiter or something and when their shots hit the ground the particles they stir up freeze right away. On the one hand that seems more realistic as there are some really cold places out there but I don't know if it would freeze exactly that fast so it might be more it just looks cool. Either way, I like how the show has that kind of balance of new and retro.

Yeah, the time limit narration seems pretty arbitrary. That point is made right near the beginning so obviously as they go along in their journey they'll have less and less time. The final arc to the first part of Saint Seiya Omega did pretty much the exact same thing with people making similar comments there.

As an aside, how come there's never really any inertia shown in most Sci-Fi? It seems like all the time when a ship cuts its engines they also activate some kind of magic space brakes,haha.

I think I got used to subs only because that was the only way I could watch Chinese movies at the time. Back in the ancient times when Hong Kong was still a British protectorate, I guess movie makers were required to put English subtitles on all their movies (or maybe it was just for the benefit of whatever white dudes lived in HK? Who knows). So growing up with Stephen Chow or Chow Yun Fat or Andy Lau, it basically meant I both listened to and read all my movies. Fun times. lol

Yeah, I remember my Mom, at least used to, love the movie Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I didn't like trying to watch it as it was subs only so I still haven't really seen the movie. Now though I'd prefer watching it with subs whenever I get back to trying to watch it again.

There are some exceptions though I suppose. The Japanese Dub of MLP has Miyuki Sexyshiro doing the voice of Twilight and Japanese isn't the native language for that show. I've watched the first few episodes of that in Japanese then, even if at least some of those first few episodes were edited.

Oh yeah Oreki know what's up

#teamMayaka

Screw it, I'm still on Team Chitanda. :3

Haha, I personally like all the characters really. Irisu just happens to be a bit more favored for me. :)

I was reading through some posts from last summer and came across this picture again.

Articalys

You know, the "Hyouka Sunday" picture made me realize something and go look it up to check; it was KyoAni's most recent show to not have the Tokyo MX 12:30am Thursday slot as its lead airtime. Hyouka did air in that slot, but the lead airing was 12:00am Monday on Chiba TV -- though amusingly enough its website still lists the Tokyo MX airtime first, even though it's three days later.

Articalys

CR's next acquisition is Samurai Flamenco.
Yep.
Samurai Flamenco is set to broadcasting on October 10 at 10:30 Pacific Time to the following audiences: U.S.A., Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and Central and South America.
Man, when did Crunchyroll start announcing stuff in forum posts before actually posting a news article...

Looks like they'll only be announcing three new shows at their AWA panel tomorrow.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I forget the actresses name but there was the character Seven of Nine later and her body suit kind of like in Yamato 2199. It also seems like more and more girls in a bunch of places are wearing really tight jeans or yoga pants or really short shorts. The same goes for tops as well. Some guys like it but many seem to be asking if it's really appropriate for public. Maybe some girls will actually not mind or like wearing those kind of outfits in the future then,who knows.
Ah yes, Seven of Nine. That was when you knew that they were pandering to the fanboys. :p
What's the TV opening like? Did someone put that on YouTube as well?
It's some jpop song over a montage of various scenes from the show. Typical anime OP.

Yeah, you notice it right away even with some of the character designs like the captain or the doctor guy. They look older in design but have that newer clean kind of digital look to them. Some things could go either way as well. I think it's the fourth episode where they're on the frozen moon of Jupiter or something and when their shots hit the ground the particles they stir up freeze right away. On the one hand that seems more realistic as there are some really cold places out there but I don't know if it would freeze exactly that fast so it might be more it just looks cool. Either way, I like how the show has that kind of balance of new and retro.

Yeah, the time limit narration seems pretty arbitrary. That point is made right near the beginning so obviously as they go along in their journey they'll have less and less time. The final arc to the first part of Saint Seiya Omega did pretty much the exact same thing with people making similar comments there.

As an aside, how come there's never really any inertia shown in most Sci-Fi? It seems like all the time when a ship cuts its engines they also activate some kind of magic space brakes,haha.
I want to say it was Gunbuster that dealt with the fact that riding up to light speed also mean they'd have to dial back down in the mid point in order to actually stop at their destination, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, I remember my Mom, at least used to, love the movie Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I didn't like trying to watch it as it was subs only so I still haven't really seen the movie. Now though I'd prefer watching it with subs whenever I get back to trying to watch it again.

But at some point, you just have to be looseygoosey with this stuff. Otherwise, you'd just lose your mind. lol

There are some exceptions though I suppose. The Japanese Dub of MLP has Miyuki Sexyshiro doing the voice of Twilight and Japanese isn't the native language for that show. I've watched the first few episodes of that in Japanese then, even if at least some of those first few episodes were edited.
I'd almost want to watch a Japanese version of Korra because the English dub is just so campy and borders on terrible whenever someone tries to act like they're in a 30s Speakeasy. lol

Servant x Service 13
A delightful finale to this show. Hasebe and Lucy were cute not trying to hurt each other. Miyoshi is still vicious and I hope for season 2.

Gatchaman Crowds 12
Satisfying end to the series, staying true to the message they started the series off with.
The battle between Katze and OD was too short. The social game Rui made fantastic and fun. I'm glad Rui actually succeeded in his dream. I do need clarification though:
Did OD die and did Katze become Hajime's scarf

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 29

Archenemon reveals who she really was, a digimon, aaaaaa!

This episode kinda gives us more details on how the crew has been tied together before this season even started.

And then Mummymon happened. Damn. I think he has a boner for her.

BluWacky

CR announced Samunemco but not Galileidonna? They better get both... :(

English language licenses = YAY
Never in the sodding UK = BOO

(also I really hope someone gets Galileidonna)

Someone who's up on these things (DigiKerot?) - did Rozen Maiden get licensed for streaming by anyone in the UK? It makes me sad when they leave us out.

Necrovex

Hajime No Ippo 12

Another victory for good ol' Ippo. I know he has to lose at some point, but it better be to a kick-ass antagonist. Cheaters suck too.

It's also nice he found a new friend...even if his friend is...weird.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 30

Well now shit gets real with a new subplot because Aruchenmon felt the need to use more power. Meanwhile Iori is still a twat and Yolei was forced to slap Ken.

Anyway, there's some massive
Agumon line boners here, what with BlackWarGreyMon being our new opponent, and our first Mega Digimon to boot. And he wrecked EVERYONE, and gives no shits about orders. Well at least he won't be destroying things.

EDIT: Gonna vote E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom