• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yes, American football is strategic in a way no other sport really is. It has its negatives, like endless commercial breaks, player safety, and other dumb stuff the NFL does, but it's still the most strategically interesting sport, and the most forward-thinking with stuff like instant replay.
Technically instant replay and coach challenges were USFL, but at least the NFL jumped on the bandwagon.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 34

So clearly we're getting the last DNA Digimon
but not really

Also fucking HolyAngemon! HINTS AND WONTON NEEDS

Syrinx

Princess Tutu 01

This was a fairly interesting first episode. Please let the ballet stuff remain prominent.
Also that ending. That transformation was also beyond lewd. The hell.
Edit: Oh I also wanted to say that the OP is pretty cracking CG aside.

This show is amazing and you should keep watching.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # Movie

Pop episode! A pretty emotional Pop episode though. Almost turned that beautiful flower Hana loved so much into a weapon of mass destruction. And then she blamed herself for the flower's fate. And then she cried.

Also some good development between Pop and Doremi. I had always felt that Pop thought of herself as the older sister between them since she's so mature, but turns out that she was quite envious of Doremi.

And we discover the origin of Doremi's steak obsession.

cajunator

Banned
Princess Tutu 01

This was a fairly interesting first episode. Please let the ballet stuff remain prominent.
Also that ending. That transformation was also beyond lewd. The hell.
Edit: Oh I also wanted to say that the OP is pretty cracking CG aside.

This show is SO GOOD.

Hmm. So its sold out?
Guess Ill wait for a restock.

Dangonronpa 13
Well that was an okay end. Cheesy but okay. I liked how Funko had all those personalities. At least 7 different personalities I think

Ojamajo Doremi # Movie

Pop episode! A pretty emotional Pop episode though. Almost turned that beautiful flower Hana loved so much into a weapon of mass destruction. And then she blamed herself for the flower's fate. And then she cried.

Also some good development between Pop and Doremi. I had always felt that Pop thought of herself as the older sister between them since she's so mature, but turns out that she was quite envious of Doremi.

And we discover the origin of Doremi's steak obsession.

It is time.

wonzo

Banned
happybirthdayvocaloid.jpg

girls are best with big breasts and no arms anyway
definitely one of the better yuri doujins i've read

still more of an ass…

man. though

Official Site: http://www.shashinkan-aoshigure.com/
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-bhtuM8a6s

Not sure if anyone ever posted about this before, but some time back, Studio Colorido announced that they were making two anime projects with interesting talent. One is Shashinkan directed by Takashi Nakamura of Fantastic Children and A Tree of Palme fame. He's also writing and animating it. The other project was Hinata no Aoshigure written and directed by Hiroyasu Ishida who is known for his Youtube videos Fumiko's Confession and Rain Town.

Today the site updated with a new trailer for both projects to announce that they're short films which will be screened in a single cinema in Japan on October 3rd.

Shashinkan also features art direction by Shinji Kimura who most recently worked on the Blue Exorcist movie everyone loved. Aoshigure's character designs are by Yojiro Arai, with animation direction and key animation by Yojiro Arai and Kei Masaki. Both Arai and Masaki are very new to the animation industry, so it's nice to see young animators get more exposure.
Hype reaching critical levels, esp. for that CG goddamn.

So this is the first time I post in AnimeGAF. Be gentle.

I recently started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion series, and since it has a very 'controversial' ending I decided
(was forced)
to post some quick impressions of the first 6 episodes. I'll start posting more impressions once watch more episodes.

Without further ado:
  • Show's a bit slow
  • Shinji is incredibly whiny and bitchy. Not liking him so far
  • His dad seems like a douche. I guess he's doing this EVA program for the greater good or something.
  • Rei seems like she could be an interesting character.
  • Misato is the most interesting character so far. She's got a pet penguin. What's not to love?
  • Seems silly to rest humanity's existence on the hands of mentally unstable 14 year olds, I guess they'll explain this later.
  • Eva fights and Shinji's screams are amazing.

Kino's Journey - 11

Another fantastic episode.

The story of the wise old man has got to be one of my favorites so far in this show. Mostly because there actually are some people in real life who live like him. It really provides a disturbing view on those kinds of people, as we never know what they might have been through. It got really heartbreaking when the man got his self-conscious back and realized that he had wasted his entire life.

I gotta say, I wasn't expecting that short of a backstory about Kino's Master. I was expecting a little more detail than just her being saved. Like a montage of Kino training with her or something. Oh well, maybe I'll see more of her later.

Only two episodes left. I wonder how hard in the gut this show is going to punch me for the last two episodes.

Lurky

Watamote 12

Wait what the fuck? Is this really the last episode? Now I'm just sad. =[

Love Lab 13

It's the last damn episode so why won't they kiss? ;-;
Other than that, this show gave me all kinds of feels. <3

Branduil

Kino's Journey - 11

The story of the wise old man has got to be one of my favorites so far in this show. Mostly because there actually are some people in real life who live like him. It really provides a disturbing view on those kinds of people, as we never know what they might have been through. It got really heartbreaking when the man got his self-conscious back and realized that he had wasted his entire life.

I gotta say, I wasn't expecting that short of a backstory about Kino's Master. I was expecting a little more detail than just her being saved. Like a montage of Kino training with her or something. Oh well, maybe I'll see more of her later.

Only two episodes left. I wonder how hard in the gut this show is going to punch me for the last two episodes.

Remember to watch the 3 OVA episodes afterwards.

cajunator

Banned
You should probably wait if you want the uncensored release. FUNimation originally released the title with the materials provided to them, which were the broadcast materials.

Yeah seems like a good idea. Though I dont remember anything they would censor in the show. Its been a while since I saw it though.

cnet128

Banned
Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku 10

Yeah, I'm not sure why they were ever worried. The chances of any team including Botan not prevailing at any kind of physical activity are less than zero.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 36 and 37

So we got our final Fusion mon, after lord knows how long, this episode made me want some "chinese" food... not like I ate anything (didn't find anything) and other unfortunate circumstances.

Anyway, looks like this subplot has ended... or at least been put on standby.
Qinglongmon appears and tells BlackWarGreymon to fuck off, and said he has a purpose. This was enough for him to not destroy the last stone.

Also more revalations happened talking about why Digimon couldn't digivolve into Ultimate, on top of why the Eggs are where they were at. The Eggs were suppose to be one time use, but the D3 lets them store the data, so it can be used continuously.

Also criticisms to the Netflix version, which I've been delaying but the transitions where the commercials would be are completely awkward and noticable. Couldn't even properly edit this just to make it more natural. Ugh.

Accel World - 24 [end] [end rewatch dubwatch] v Neon Alley

Dub was all around good and memorable and I believe filled with plenty of newish voices in the community. Most were all good and fitting with Seiji Noumi being my favorite followed by Taku and then Haru. Aqua Current, Sky Laker also deserve commendation. Ill definitely buy it on BD and etc. Some of the characters did have slight accents wondered where their original place of birth was, minor choice that kind of made it feel a bit more special in some odd way to me.

Kino's Journey - 12

Sweet Merciful Crap!

I knew something would be screwed up in this episode from the title alone. A "Peaceful" Land? What, are people gonna be super strict on Law-Enforcement and start arresting people if they so much as pick up a penny off the ground?

NOPE.

Holy shit at that massacre scene! The music, the visuals, the everything! The juxtaposition of happy victorious music alongside the slaughter of innocents! That has got to be one of the darkest things I've ever seen in anime. And they even make me feel even worse by having the museum guide be the one who had that idea because of her lost family. And wouldn't you know it, It only got even worse when I find that the victims seek revenge on those weaker than their opponents! I knew this show was gonna hit me hard, but damn.

Alright. One more episode to go. "A Kind Land." Ugh.

Go ahead Kino's Journey. Show children whipping each other at a playground under the watchful eyes of their parents with guns in this "Kind Land."
I'm not even gonna be shocked anymore.

cajunator

Banned
Princess Tutu 02

So that's how this is going to work. OK.
More awesome ballet stuff as was expected. Also lots more [REDACTED].

Rue is so adorable. You should see her transformation. Youll like it heehee.

Kino's Journey - 11

You can watch a certain ova for more about Kino and master.

Big Ben is adorably rapey. Sell him on that.

Lol. This is soooooo wrong.

Thanks for the heads up.

Gatchaman Crowds 12

Huh, that was fun. I didn't mind how they ended this and what not. The last episode was pretty entertaining.

I guess the only disappointment is how we never saw any reaction to OD's sacrifice from like anyone.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 38

It's Christmas in Topeka!

And we see where Taichi basically lets himself lose the girl. God damn it all. Auugh. Nothing even happened during this season to build up!

Dark towers be in the real world now. Shits gearing up for the final arc yo.

Note: always like seeing Ken's mother feeling really happy from circumstances, but can you blame her?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Majestic Prince 24 END

Let's do this shit. Final Battle.
Blow up the death star gate!

And yeah my Star Wars reference is totally viable because Izuru is basically falling to the dark side and he's fighting his version of Vader, but then is totally gonna be like "No wait...I'm a jedi, I'm not gonna fall to dark side even thougth I totally was just about to."

HOLY MOTHER OF ALL THAT IS DECENT AT THIS FINAL SHOWDOWN

Kinda a predictable ending, but I can't say I'm not satisfied.

Overall: 9/10.

This show was a fucking blast. It had it's low points, as pretty much all shows do, but I still had a great time. The mecha were pretty cool looking, I liked a lot of vocal cast, the animation was pretty good pretty much all the way through, and the setting was pretty good. The plot was pretty paper thin and pretty lol worthy with it's
DNADNADNASURVIVEFIGHT
bologna, but it easily made up for it with action scenes that were just fucking gorgeous. I loved the fuck out of them. And honestly, yeah it's a dumb show, but I feel it's so self-aware of itself that they do the most cliche things with a grin or do them as almost a joke that I just feel it's wanting me to grin at it.

I'd totally be down for a second season.

---

Another 12 END

"This is not normal." NO SHIT SHERLOCK.

Lol a some of these deaths, like if they were less gory they'd be out of a Looney Toon.

Okay, Misaki why don't you just spill who it is already for fuck's sake.

Yeah just stand there in the middle of a burning building trying to make a phone call. Good plan, boyo.

WAIT WHAT THAT'S FUCKING BULLSHIT
I was not expecting that at all. The clues they gave at the very beginning kept suggesting Sakakibara was dead, but then he wasn't so I forgot the clues. And then Reiko was the dead one. Goddamn.

Overall: 7/10

This show is...something. The overall scenario is pretty intriguing and makes for a really tense watch. Some of the deaths are super fucking gruesome and outright random. The characters are all dumb as rocks and some of the plot and explanations are pretty obtuse. But the show looks pretty good, and the pacing combined with the absolutely stellar audio design work make for a watch that is honestly pins-and-needles pretty much the entire show.

----

Valvrave the Liberator 12 END

Thanks for that stupid flashforward. I kinda feel they taining the show a little bit with them.

And anyways, what happened to Mr. "OH I KNOW EVERYTHING" ERUERUFFFF?

That's...actually a really smart plan, trying to heat them up. How it works in space, I'm not too sure but I like it.

Hey Haruto, here's an idea: Just fucking bite Cain, dumbass.

No fucking way...I was totally expecting Shoko as the fifth pilot. But if that's unit number 6...where's unit 5?

Yes, ERUERUFFF, there's nooooooo way he survives. ;p

OH WELL...SHIT.
Unit 2? Damn.

Okay, now it's getting a lot more interesting. Season 2 now, please.

Overall: 7/10

This show...is dumb. Like, it's just dumb. I mean it's decently entertaining and it looks pretty good, but honestly, I like the MJP mecha over the valvraves and the battles were just simply not as good. Compared to MJP, I feel like the stakes and plot are a bit more...sensible but this show is ridiculous without the sense of self-awareness that MJP has. It's just (unaware) stupid mecha fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom