• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
happy boobs for chet!

vote for your robot waifu mighty no 9.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/M9calloutthevote

9G3JSHa.jpg

I can't decide.

*explodes*

edit: voted E.

H must stand for hips, so yes H.

Midonin

Love Lab
百合(レズ)ラボ

This is the first time I can think of where I watched a show up to episode 8 without subtitles, and then started from the beginning when it was licensed and then rode it towards the end. I love that you got it, CR, but another licensing holdup like that is something that I hope doesn't happen in the future.

Another thing I like about anime is the large representation of female characters (again, this is becoming increasingly obvious), so I'm wary if a single dude in a non-harem show will end up overshadowing the whole cast because of the way the Western fanbase operates. If it wasn't for that element, I'd rank this show higher, because from episode 1-5, this was a show that I can see earned its love.

The character-driven writing and humor was good, the animation was fluid and always had something going on in the background or made the characters' motions unique. Like the girls with hearts above their heads in almost every shot. Some of that surely comes from the original source, but the directors' adaptation of it was really well done. The manga influence showed with all the text bubbles, but that's not a bad thing, just part of the show's style.

There were really three distinct parts. The love labs, the newspaper storyline and the cram school. I liked the first two. The love labs themselves were the best part. Riko/Maki are another running for strongest yuri couple of the season (the underwear thing in particular. Everyone's wearing Maki!), though I'd give a fair amount of praise to Sayo/Eno too. Eno was a lot of fun to watch with her ego and simultaneous putdown of the ego.

I wish Suzu had gotten to do a little more. That flashback of hers in episode 10 was adorable - she can easily be compared to Alice (Kinmosa, there's a lot of Alices these days) - and I wish she had gotten a chance to use her fans more. She's also the connection to Misorara, which the manga's author also wrote. Shared universes, gotta love 'em.

The newspaper club felt kind of different with the tone at first, but they became friends pretty quickly. I wonder how the popularity of those two among readers compares to the main girls. Someone must like them if they're sticking around.

A lot of the jokes in the first few episodes were great. The elaborate backstory for Baron Hug-Hug, almost anything Maki did... My favorite guys remain Huggy and Maki Makio. I don't mind the guys that were there, but when the series ends with
what I will read as a confession between Riko and Maki
, the lens through which I interpret the anime has become pretty distorted already. The guys didn't affect the show as much as I thought they were going to, but they did signal a noticeable shift in its presentation.

If WORKING!!/Servant x Service specialize in families with weird sisters, then the opposite is occuring here. Almost every family in the show had a brother, with the sole exception of Maki. (Suzu also had a sister, but she talked about her brother more.) Interesting, both of them are comedy-based, but because of the authors and the different types of comedy, little things like this come out.

The Riko storyline made a good throughline for the season, and the line between what was supposed to be comedy and what was drama was kept blurry enough that one could view almost all of it as comedy - Ohta does specialize in these kinds of things. I've watched most of his shows, and am looking forward to the next one.

Both the opening and ending are insanely catchy. I like the opening a little more, but both are pretty high quality.

Final Thoughts: The titular love labs were the best part of the show. The animation was well done and the story/characters advanced at a nice pace while remaining at least somewhat comedic throughout, but I could've used more yuri.

Gatchaman Crowds - Finale

Wow, that was bad. Together with the previous episode, I think it's one of the most underwhelming endings I have seen in a time. The editing, the climax, the no-resolution of some stuff,

No character growth or change, one of the gatchaman dies but we don't see anyone caring or noticing, in fact the secondary characters didn't have any kind of engaging subplot or personal story, Hajime ends being a static character, the final plan of the bad guy was underwhelming ("I will give Crowds ability to everyone! and they will kill themselves in chaos as they lose control!), the solution to that was also underwhelming ("I will give Crowds ability to everyone! wait that was the same as the bad guy..."), the end is a bit wtf (Hajime trying to date Berg to make it turn good, while he calls her bitch, some moments were sexist ("I have another game for the women, do some cooking for the people that need food!"), and the editing was faulty.

Good point? The last two gatchaman suits were rad.

Oh well, at least we have a good OST to listen.

Servant x Service 12

Dull first 60% of the episode. Series isn't good if there isn't humor or sweet scenes. At least the ending delivered, but much in a
"and it all continues the same"
, as expected.

NeonZ

They aren't including that one more aggressive design that was posted alongside RollCall (F) initially? Anyway, F here. E is nice too, but the best part of that design are the reaction images, which likely wouldn't be in the final product once you consider Call's description (she's doesn't have real emotions, unlike Beck).

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 31

We're going back into the Purgatory Realm, where implied rape and mass Hydrophobia takes place, and a fuckton of slapping no less.

Yolei got mad at Hikari because she was the token moe character, on top of having problems much like her beloved Ken, but they united with the power of love.

Silphymon does not get a shitty 3D transformation much like Paildramon, but if I remember correctly, this was the worst looking DNA/Jogress Digimon in the first two series. In any case, now Hikari is safe as long as Yolei is with her. Squish you two.

cnet128

Banned
happy boobs for chet!

9G3JSHa.jpg

I can't decide.

*explodes*

Goddammit, I can't decide whether F or I is the best.

Why can I only vote for one?! T_T

EDIT: Voted Option I in the end. Which is probably the wrong choice since I'm pretty sure F will get more votes, so it would be a better tactical decision to go for that one. But fuck logic, Option I was too cute to resist.

cajunator

Banned
Infinite Stratos: 05

Let's see... Flat chest, Flat groin, Feminine voice... yup, that's a guy alright...

Also, two transfer students in two days. Cool, more characters.

Charles is love.
French love.

Speaking of Infinite Stratos, here's a new PV for Infinite Stratos 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D6xnLd6isw

I like the girl who looks like Ice Witch. Will watch this drivel and probably like it.

Saitou Chiwa character is better than most of the main cast already, although upon further inspection she doesn't have lovely HAIR EARS like I originally thought.

Aw that sucks :(
But it still has a chance as long as Charlottes in there.

US Football is the inferior kind, though, Cajun. Real football will get you more friends.

Real football is completely and utterly boring and Id rather watch snails crawl by, sorry Corvy kun

I was stuck between E, I, and D, but I ended up selecting G. I think it's because her look makes her look more mellow then the other designs, so she wouldn't be that typical annoying partner.

cnet128

Banned
Real football is completely and utterly boring and Id rather watch snails crawl by, sorry Corvy kun

I'm not much of a fan of sports in general, but I have a special loathing for American football. The very thought of it is just distasteful somehow. It's like they took rugby (a sport that I'm already not that keen on, but I can at least appreciate the sheer manliness of it) and fucked it up with lots of stopping and starting and mountains of incredibly ugly protective gear that makes all the players look ridiculous. Even baseball is better than that shit.

Proper football, on the other hand, is a straightforward and sensible sport. I wouldn't choose to watch or play it myself, but as sports go, it's all right.

cajunator

Banned

The question absolutely everybody asked heehee

Such pretty eyes. but shes not the most wonderfully insane girl in the show. that honor goes to Misaki.

yesssssssssssssss have been really hyped for Hiroyasu Ishida's short since discovering him on youtube - these are two beautiful pictures i found when previously looking for info about it

I love the whimsical nonsensical madness of what Im seeing here.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm not much of a fan of sports in general, but I have a special loathing for American football. The very thought of it is just distasteful somehow. It's like they took rugby (a sport that I'm already not that keen on, but I can at least appreciate the sheer manliness of it) and fucked it up with lots of stopping and starting and mountains of incredibly ugly protective gear that makes all the players look ridiculous. Even baseball is better than that shit.
It's all about strategy, man.

ReWatch Digimon Adventure 02: 32

BlackWarGreymon has heart, and Agumon attempts to reason with him as a result, however our new villians decided to go after a Holy stone, and breaking the ring on it triggered him to go berserk and destroy the Holy Stone in the process. Clearly we need Mega Digimon stat, because no one can do jack shit about him.

Articalys

Everyone's going to just end up voting for the one they think looks the best anyway, but it is worth noting one aspect of Call's character they posted to the Kickstarter page:
Call was not imbued with the human characteristics that make Beck unique, so she’s more of a pure robot -- as you might imagine, this contrast can lead to some interesting differences and misunderstandings whenever they interact!
Given that, for me the choice narrows down to G, I, and F.

Good thing they're doing a second round with the top three, though, because based on just this round E is probably going slaughter everyone else thanks to all the different expressions in her concept art. Similarly, it'll be interesting to see how D and H fare due to having only one picture each.

edit: went with I in the end. Will be interested to see which three make it to the second round -- and I'd better back the project soon to make sure I can see it!

mhs004

Proper football, on the other hand, is a straightforward and sensible sport. I wouldn't choose to watch or play it myself, but as sports go, it's all right.
Well everyone has their own opinion. But um yea I don't share it at all love sports and football. The manly one.

Articalys

I do agree that E is far and away the best overall character design of the lot, but I still don't think she's the best fit for the character they want to make here.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What Arti said. Only A looks remotely robotic. The others are generic megaman zero lolis.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 33

So that's what destruction is doing
Apparently it's fucking with the balance, and BlackWarGreymon was visible in Kyoto, and it's easier for Digimon to appear there because of LEGENDS! Ken saved Yolei, more pairing shit, and we see a relative of Sora and Joe, who actually know what Digimon are. On top of the "there's other people around the world with Digimon"

chitanda-hair-228kj0.gif

But Chitanda's hair though.

I just want more Hyouka :(

Edit: Chitanda top of the page. Instant victory.

Reminds me of the girl form the Ring.

The war doesn't end until everybody admits Chitanda was the best girl.

No, I'm pretty sure the mc's sister was better.

R2yWQ5j.png

Never forget.
#teamwinning

Yesssss.

happy boobs for chet!

9G3JSHa.jpg

I can't decide.

*explodes*

Team E. I feel F may suit the art style of No 9 more but the facial expressions on E are too good.

cnet128

Banned
I do agree that E is far and away the best overall character design of the lot, but I still don't think she's the best fit for the character they want to make here.

This is basically my feeling. E doesn't look like she should be in this game, she looks like she should be in a Gainax/Trigger production. She looks like someone spliced the Panty & Stocking and Little Witch Academia styles together. The result is great, but doesn't look much like a robot or a partner for Beck.

...Also Option I is still better.

cajunator

Banned
chitanda-hair-228kj0.gif

But Chitanda's hair though.

I just want more Hyouka :(

Edit: Chitanda top of the page. Instant victory.

She's so cute. Just so damned cute.

The war doesn't end until everybody admits Chitanda was the best girl.

Not BEST girl but definitely better than Mayaka. Not that that is difficult.

happy boobs for chet!

9G3JSHa.jpg

I can't decide.

*explodes*

Any of those are squee except C,D, and G. Overall, my favorite is F.

Syrinx

I remember Kirbyguy said the Ojamajo Doremi # Movie was short, but is it really supposed to be about as long as a typical episode?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Majestic Prince 23

So lasers don't work and missiles are too small. They're totally gonna use the Star Rose to ram the gate, calling it now.

At least we finally get Izuru off his leash.

Called it!

cajunator

Banned

Theres a ton of strategy in american football. Each of the 11 players on either side of the football has a very important purpose to the overall team and just one weak link in that group can make a lot of difference. There are so many formations and styles of playcalling, groupings, trick plays and ideas....its a fascinating sport, even at the highschool level.

This is basically my feeling. E doesn't look like she should be in this game, she looks like she should be in a Gainax/Trigger production. She looks like someone spliced the Panty & Stocking and Little Witch Academia styles together. The result is great, but doesn't look much like a robot or a partner for Beck.

...Also Option I is still better.

Yeah I agree. shes ADORABLE but doesnt look like she would fit into this game. She would be at home in a new Gainax show with that face. Or maybe Trigger.

I remember Kirbyguy said the Ojamajo Doremi # Movie was short, but is it really supposed to be about as long as a typical episode?

No you're wrong, it's slightly LONGER than a typical episode.

EDIT; Aren't those all initial designs anyway? What's to stop them from tweaking it?

Branduil

It's all about strategy, man.

Yes, American football is strategic in a way no other sport really is. It has its negatives, like endless commercial breaks, player safety, and other dumb stuff the NFL does, but it's still the most strategically interesting sport, and the most forward-thinking with stuff like instant replay.

It would be a better sport if not for the endless diving and corruption.

Theonik

Princess Tutu 01
ibeBI4B50Z6GBK.png

:SDBurton
This was a fairly interesting first episode. Please let the ballet stuff remain prominent.
Also that ending. That transformation was also beyond lewd. The hell.
Edit: Oh I also wanted to say that the OP is pretty cracking CG aside.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Princess Tutu 01

This was a fairly interesting first episode. Please let the ballet stuff remain prominent.
Also that ending. That transformation was also beyond lewd. The hell.

It's pretty much all ballet.

Even during climatic showdowns between good and evil, BALLET.

cajunator

Banned
Yes, American football is strategic in a way no other sport really is. It has its negatives, like endless commercial breaks, player safety, and other dumb stuff the NFL does, but it's still the most strategically interesting sport, and the most forward-thinking with stuff like instant replay.

It would be a better sport if not for the endless diving and corruption.

Agreed. The strategy is really incomparable to other sports. Theres even a lot of time management involved and special use plays and things that other sports really dont utilize. Its very complex while seeming very simple to a typical observer.

if you haven't seen it before you should head over to Youtube right now and watch Fumiko's Confession, in fact everyone reading this should do so now. it's only 2 and a half minutes long and was made by one man at university. afterwards you can check out his 10 min long graduation film rain town.
this guy is a future star director for sure.

Thanks for this!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gatchaman Crowds Episode 12:
Well then, that was not the ending I was expecting, but perhaps that is the ending this show deserved. Still can't help but feel cheated as the big OD Gatchaman transformation and fight were underwhelming. Of course when you spend the entire series hyping this thing up as the end of all things, yea, expectations are lofty. On the other hand, I did like the fact that the world was saved via iPhone games, though I call bullshit since everybody should have been asked for 1,000 yen for more Crowds energy or have to wait a day. Oh right, we also don't really get closure on Utsusu and how the death of OD affected her. Anyway, enough tiptoing, I am kind of miffed that the big confrontation between Berg and Her Godlyness got cut short by the credits. Not even that they ended there, as we get a fast forward job to see how soceity is dealing with the integration of the CROWDS and it looks like Berg became her unwilling servant? Wah? Huh? Why?

Series Anaysis: If had to sum up my experience watching this program, it would be subverting expectations. I went into this expecting, well, something along the lines of Casshen Sins but what I got was closer to Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex of all things for one of the central themes of that show was the examination of the internet in the role of humanity. Still one of the more intellectually simulating pieces about that subject matter. That show was produced about a decade ago and it shows its age; indeed, it one of the problems I have with Arise was it was too busy ripping off The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo to really examine the twin revolutions of social media and the rise of mobile devices and the effect those have had on humanity. Indeed, Western depictions have not been much better, like this week's South Park comes very much to mind. The series is about examining the full breadth and scope of social media, with some sci-fi exaggerations of course. To see the full power of social media exposed, that is a narrative I did not know I wanted until I saw it. Gatchaman Crowds currently trends at number 2 on my AOTY list. Love Lab was just more consistently entertaining and had a better ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom