• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 47

Oikawa knew Iori's dad, and made it clear that he's being possessed by BelailVamdemon/MaloMyotismon.

A little girl's flower blooms, and Oikawa steals it. Looooool.

So much interconnection here.

FINAL ARC GO

Theonik

A week before Episode 12? I don't think that makes sense, considering
Yura's part of the club
. Since there's no mention of
Sonora leaving
, it can't really be set after Episode 12 either. As far as I can see, the only place it could really slot in the timeline is in between Episodes 6 and 7 (after all the various character introductions and stuff, but before DRAMA fully sets in). But honestly I think it's more likely that it's not intended to fit in with the rest of the series canon at all.

(There was a "one week earlier" slide immediately after the opening credits of this episode, which is presumably where the confusion is coming from, but I'm pretty sure that was referring the fact that the episode was flashing back to one week before the in medias res segment that preceded the OP, not to any relation to the rest of the series canon.)
Yeah, I actually feel that a week might be pushing it but pinning the timeline for it is kinda hard. Important part is that it takes place before the drama really.

Quasar

So CR picks up Samurai Flamenco, and europe shunned again.

SAMURAI FLAMENCO will be available to audiences in the following territories: U.S.A., Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and Central and South America.

Is there some european company hoarding streaming rights now?

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 48

I'm going to be honest, every time I type out the name to this, I put in World before Adventure, like almost 100 percent of the time. That being said

BeleilVamdemon/MaloMyotismon finally appears in Purgatory hell. The seal did in fact world because of where they went. Everyone is scared shitless (except Daisuke), hell, look at what he did to his minions. Absolute torture man.

Final 2 lets gooo

Vecks

Gatcha Crowds 12

That was one weird ending. The show overall was okay. Man, I had all these expectations for the show, and it completely went the opposite direction. Totally not what I expected or wanted, but it was weird enough to be entertaining.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 49

Subs are terrible on Netflix. Too inconsistent. But FUCK yeah, full playing of Break Up!

We got to see everyone but Daisuke's dreams because they were being chicken shits, but his straight dickness saved everyone, on top of revealing that they can have every fucking evolution out at on to kick Malo's ass.

And they almost did, it was going to be excessively disappointing, but they failed to fully kill him off. So now he's in the DigiWorld, and is super powerful, and is redoing his plan from Season 1. lol.

Theonik

Princess Tutu 03
i8iONIhHwHsmA.png

*screams internally*
These will only get weirder and weirder won't they?
Also Froselmeyer is a dick. And Rue is getting somewhat less cool now.

Rewatch Digimon Adventure 02: 50 END

Another 2 day run complete/

With the power of light, beliefs, and shit, it destroys MaloMyotismon and we finally see the Giga Death attack. Oikawa finally achieves being able to go to the Digital World and gets his partner digimon, but gave up his life to restore balance to the Digital World.

TIMESKIP, there are only two couples that formed a family with other members of the group. Matt/Sora being one, who isn't said outloud, but you can easily see with the confession, movies, and the fact that their children have their hair styles.

Other one being Ken and Yolei, who.... frankly a lot of the budding love feels like it was a shonen. They had moments together, but not to "that" degree, but I guess it was enough to do something. Considering her overall capabilities, being a housewife seems kind of boring for someone like her.

Over the course of the show, we can see Davis's Kari boner go down to the point that he's "given up". I think he blurts out his love in the dub, but it just fades away into obscurity here. So considering the fact that Kairi isn't boning T.K., it's like, dude, you blew it man. You could've had a moeblob.

That being said, I was right, it does kinda go downhill in the second half. Or the second half of the second half. I don't know. It was pretty good for the most part, but it just slipped over time. Nice to see everyone wasn't being useless even if Imperialdramon exists, although you could account for some odd powerscaling towards the end.

Animation wise, it wasn't very good for the most part, and the poor editing for transition makes it even more apparent (someone else is at fault for this). Wasn't expecting sakuga, but I was expecting a bit more than what we really got here. Music wise, I'm good with the Digivolution, but at times, I felt a bit... at odds with the music choice. I think 13 and 23 respectively grabbed my attention the most based on how well they were directed, although I'm kinda disappointed that
Chtulu didn't get more appearances, but the Dark Sea thing kept coming at least.

Character wise, the seniors had a good amount of role, although Izzy has the most exposure since he is brainy. It is weird when I think back to how we have Joe and Izzy who are rather smart, but I think Izzy was applied in a different fashion to help contrast. Not too big on Cody/Iori frankly. He was too square for me to put it lightly. Davis clearly grows over the course of the show
considering he says more profound things, and hasn't been in Kari boner mode for ages
. Yolei was also odd for me, but more on the positive side. Ken also worked for me.

I enjoy the families in how much their involved with their kids... well the seniors and Ken I guess. Well... especially Ken's family, considering the turmoil surrounding their son, and everything after the Kaiser arc making them even more happy in the process.

But yeah, I guess the final 10 episodes felt kinda weak... well... at least everything between international travels and
MaloMyotismon was fine
but other than that, it was kinda weak.

I'd say it end up in my third place, but it would be more accurate to say second, because I don't recall as much Tamers as I did with this show, Adventure 01, and..... Frontier, bleh. I might actually consider doing Tamers. though.

Toradora 1-25 (end) + ova

I decided to watch this after finding out the series was directed by the same guy who directed anohana and ano natsu de matteru -- Tatsuyuki Nagai. Boy did I enjoy this series! The characters have plenty of personality and the animation -- is great! I only wish there were more episodes of this.
One thing I noticed about this director is he's very good at pre-lapping the ending themes with an episode's end.

From this director -- Tatsuyuki Nagai, I think my favorite is in this order:

1. ano hi mita hana no namae wa bokutachi ga mada shiranai
2. ano natsu de matteru
3. toradora

Toradora is probably the better series than ano natsu but I have a bias for the onegai series.

Want to check out the other series he directed as well -- a certain magical index.

cajunator

Banned
Finally, a way to make GTA V relevant to this thread: the official trailer for GTA Online, narrated in Japanese.

Or, as you folk would probably write it if you were posting impressions of it in this thread, グランド・セフト・オート:オンライン.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UXt8joiMUY

Hmm. Is that a koenigsegg in front? Sures hell looks like one lol.

My roommate just tapped me on the shoulder and said "Next week, you and I are going to the anime club!"

MLbPhSZ.gif

I miss my old one.

Go check it out! Make new friends. Find new shows. Squee at butts!

Say aniGaf, how's Kokoro Connect ? I remember watching a couple episodes back in 2012 but I didn't continue. Is it worth it ?

Also, what are the 2013 anime you'd recommend me ? (I've been out of the loop for a while)

So a question, sub or dub for Tamers?

Is there anything in Tamers that might give the other side an advantage considering the difference in dialogue and the score from Adventure 02's dub and Japanese version?

EDIT: Fuck it. Japanese version will be my choice.

Theonik

Rabu Rabu 13 -END-
Ending was pretty predictable but very well done. There isn't much to be said here that hasn't already been said.
Shame we won't get a second season.

Its probably not gonna any good tho..

With Faylan rendering the op how can BlazBlue anime possibly be bad and that Jin...

Say aniGaf, how's Kokoro Connect ? I remember watching a couple episodes back in 2012 but I didn't continue. Is it worth it ?

Also, what are the 2013 anime you'd recommend me ? (I've been out of the loop for a while)

Kokoro connect was fun and emotional, rivalved Little Busters as best drama of the year.

You should watch, Free!, Karneval, Hakkenden, and Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist.

Phi Brain 44

I really have a hard time following Freecell's motives, it was revenge
but that was all a lie
, he was working with Orpheus Order
but I think he just betrayed them by making his fake ring a real one and ditching them
, and now he wants to do puzzle time with Kaito so
Kaito can have a chance to save him

Not sure how this will all wrap up in 5 episodes
Boku no kaito !

Freecell motives are multilayered , alright

Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties 01

It's like they stopped pretending in trying to give reasons why Hayate comes across all the girls and decided to stick them in one apartment building like a good old fashioned harem series.

I guess with each episode being character focused, my enjoyment will be dependent on how much I like the character. That said, Hayate and his misfortune is always fun.

They actually have a good reason why all the girls are living with him and this season has events that are placed BEFORE the previous season and they ditched the "serious plot" alltogether.

IN short it's a mess andyou should have read the manga to enjoy this season fully.

Questions you should( will ) have while watching this season:
-Who is athena ?
- RUka ?
-Why are all the girls living with him ?

LayLa

Random 10 DVD Dregathon

YDEzGzf.gif

DVD 10: Trinity Blood (2005) Episodes 21-24
Audio options: Sub & dub (5.1)
Extras: Slideshow of art, OP & ED, trailers

What better way to finish than the final climatic episodes of a mid 2000s anime by Gonzo? Seeing as these were the end episodes of a series I thought I'd break the rules a little and find out what had happened in the the plot so far. OK so there are vampires from Mars and four superhuman children who were injected with alien nanomachines and Armageddon happened ages ago and the Queen of England has enslaved the vampires and then I got a headache and thought fuck it just watch the thing and this will all be over soon.

pEFz2Ed.jpg

getting all Clamp up in this bitch

So from what I watched it's a bit like a more adult version of Index, with the Church fighting against people with magical abilities. And space vampires.
To be fair to Gonzo some of the final fight scenes were quite well done, although the flying CGI car was pretty lolsome.

RyZ3XY3.jpg

That's So England!

8DZfAsf.gif

Has anyone written an article about the impact The Matrix had on early 2000s anime?

Do I want to watch the rest? Nah I'm off to watch something good.
If I see another random 10 DVD bundle I'll let someone else have a go ok thx bye: 2/10

Never i'd pick 10 random anime dvd just for the sake of them being cheap
This was an fun read but i personnaly care too much about my "PLOT" in my media entertainment

Neptunia 12
Fitting end for the series. The series was humorous and cute though its not as cute as the other slice of life animes this season, it is a better adaption of a game series than Dangonronpa

LayLa

Never i'd pick 10 random anime dvd just for the sake of them being cheap

eh it was an education to watch shows in genres i'd usually avoid, broadens yr horizons and all that.
4 out of the 10 DVDs had a trailer for Ergo Proxy, why were they pushing that show so hard?

Acosta

Love Lab is over :(

I just finished it too :(

Very enjoyable show, I could have gone without the drama from the last two episodes but I guess some stuff like "secrets" and "revelation" are mandatory in this kind of things. I will miss Maki.

Cajunator said:
We all miss Yuyushiki :(

I know that feeling bro.gif

Now I think about it, Yuyushiki didn't have any drama (my only nitpick is that sometimes was too weird).

DiGiKerot

English language licenses = YAY
Never in the sodding UK = BOO

(also I really hope someone gets Galileidonna)

Someone who's up on these things (DigiKerot?) - did Rozen Maiden get licensed for streaming by anyone in the UK? It makes me sad when they leave us out.

Not that I'm aware of, which is kind of annoying (I'm watching the show too at this point, and I'm pretty enamoured with it). The Crunchy stream is one of this that's curtousy of Sentai, isn't it? It's probably the kind of thing that'd have ended up on a AoD if it was two seasons ago, but at this point I don't even know of Kaze have anyone actively running their UK business who'd care enough to bother. Not sure what Sentais license practice is regarding additional regions, though.

No-one seems to have any idea what is up with the UK exclusions this season, though. kinda specific a block. I know, from convention panel chatter, that Aniplex ruffled a few feathers with Daisuki streaming of shows where they didn't even mention things to UK distros before launching (curious to see Madoka and Sword Art aren't available to the UK there any more), so it's difficult to discern if they've been licensed already, or if Aniplex are treating the region as if walking on eggshells following that. Kaze also has some of this stuff in Europe, but since not renewing Andrews consultancy contract, no-one there says anything about anything.

zeroshiki

Everyone knows trusting 7th always ends in tears. The show will have good animation. Whether it will be a good anime still remains to be seen.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Started AnoHana, this is freaking sad -.- I can already see the last episode destroying me.

Necrovex

Go check it out! Make new friends. Find new shows. Squee at butts!

I made some of my closest friends due to the anime club at my old university. Without it, my group of friends would be a lot smaller (or different due to that butterfly effect). Listen to Caj and check it out.

So a question, sub or dub for Tamers?

Is there anything in Tamers that might give the other side an advantage considering the difference in dialogue and the score from Adventure 02's dub and Japanese version?

EDIT: Fuck it. Japanese version will be my choice.

Sub Tamers all the way. Third season of Digimon is the best season of the franchise. Prepare yourself for some magic.

Jintor

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Book 1

A rewatch of what I had always remembered as the weakest season of Avatar just makes me angrier and angrier with Korra. Even knowing what's coming next, the general gist of the plot, etc, etc, ATLA is just executed above and beyond anything they've ever managed with LoK. Even with five or six almost completely filler episodes - Omashu, the Waterbending Scroll, The Great Divide, the Fortune-Teller and arguably the Northern Air Temple - Season 1 remains, pound for pound, an exceedingly strong show, with believable and sympathetic characters, a fantastic sense of comedic timing and very powerful performances - not to mention probably among the best action choreography in an animated series I've ever seen.

The Siege of the North in particular manages to introduce and then farewell a character in 3 episodes that punches you in the gut when they leave.

G.ZZZ

Ha thanks! I remember you, and others, waiting for me. I also remember us doing the same to lavalamp who honestly had some great impressions and insights. Toradora! is probably one of the few shows I've watched from AnimeGAF recs so far (I've mostly been hitting my huge back log) but I'm so glad I did; that show got a 10/10 from me.

Hello, brother.

Jintor

Toradora is love. I might check out those other works sometime... in like three months after this degree finishes (and I finish rewatching Avatar)

cajunator

Banned
Toradora is love. I might check out those other works sometime... in like three months after this degree finishes (and I finish rewatching Avatar)

One of very few tolerable Rie Kugimiya characters.
She overdoes her urusai bit as usual, but Taiga was a sweetheart overall and adorable.

Necrovex

Hajime No Ippo 13

Ippo is ready for his first match in the rookie tournament. I am so proud of him. He has come a far ways since his initial appearance at the gym.

Takamura is still a mega jerk, and I can't wait to see the day where Ippo has a serious spar with him. Maybe he'll use his "third leg" to defeat Takamura.

Looks like next episode will be the Mystical Black man, Jason Vs. The Fighting Spirit, Ippo. Of course I don't want Ippo to lose, but Jason is such a rad character. I love how he speaks Japanese.

Edit: Just watched the Blazblue anime trailer, and damn that animation looks rough! I'm still going to watch it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom