• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anime GAF has seen some pronounced changes recently, not just the shifting major poster order and things slowing down, but the language has stopped being so oblique you need a glossary to understand this place, which is good.

I didn't even recognize the second one stopping until you said something actually.

Rather okay with the slow down though.

jman2050

I drive by with K-On trolls still but that's more because it's expected and also because some posters still don't know better than to leave well enough alone.

Also because it's a legitimately terrible show, but that goes without saying.

Laugh tracks do work after all. That's why they use them.

Well I caught a few random episodes way long ago, didn't really care for them, then my brother(who I live with) watched the whole series all the way through and I sort of got caught on it just by sheer proximity and now I love it. What can I say, sometimes things don't make sense.

I will say in scenes where it devolves to straight nerd references with no actual jokes it does get tedious to watch, but those are actually a lot rarer than people previously led me on to believe.

zeroshiki

The first season of BBT was okay. I thought it had funny parts. It was when they ran out of shit to make fun of and decided to turn Sheldon into a full on crazy preson that it stopped being amusing and became loathsome.

Branduil

The first season of BBT was okay. I thought it had funny parts. It was when they ran out of shit to make fun of and decided to turn Sheldon into a full on crazy preson that it stopped being amusing and became loathsome.

Flanderization is the death of many comedies.

Kazzy

I drive by with K-On trolls still but that's more because it's expected and also because some posters still don't know better than to leave well enough alone.

Hm, sure. It's logic like this that stifles thread discussion in the first place. Say what you will about the seriousness of those comments, but it's this kind of loathsome rhetoric that drives people away from here.

This never would have happened if we had Anime Thread A and Anime Thread B.

It didn't work for Jurassic Park, and it won't work here!

duckroll

Precure persecution complex is a lie. It's a delusion formed to divert attention from the truth - that PrecureGAF doesn't want to talk about Precure because DokiDoki is so fucking bad. :p

PrecureGAF right now is pretty much people who jumped on board, people who finished and are watching DDPC (much to dismay), and people who just watch what they wanted and just left it at there. Isn't very large.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
SuOtZIQ.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Because in reality, PrecureGAF isn't as big as you'd think it is. I'd wager something like UtenaGAF actually being larger, even Sailor Moon.

Fair enough I suppose, though I will note that does mean putting up with the rigors of a general anime thread.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This never would have happened if we had Anime Thread A and Anime Thread B.

I find many of the anime-specific threads to be simple drive-by impression posting threads and not really discussing. Perhaps my scope is extremely limited in this respect but this is what I've seen and the vibe I've been feeling.

Branduil

I find many of the anime-specific threads to be simple drive-by impression posting threads and not really discussing. Perhaps my scope is extremely limited in this respect but this is what I've seen and the vibe I've been feeling.

Discussing is hard.

kayos90

Discussing is hard.

Well... I think it's a simple case of " I watched this and this is what I thought. Bye." Some people stick around to discuss but I think there are a good chunk of people, if not the majority of people who simply post to give impressions and that's it.

Syrinx

I admit I'm pretty guilty of this. I feel like a lot of my posts are just impressions for what I'm watching, and I sometimes feel bad when somebody is watching something I love yet I don't really feel like I have anything to say in response to their impressions. I don't want to feel like I always have to say something and reply when I feel like I don't have anything interesting to say, but I'll keep this in mind.

kayos90

I admit I'm pretty guilty of this. I feel like a lot of my posts are just impressions for what I'm watching, and I sometimes feel bad when somebody is watching something I love yet I don't really feel like I have anything to say in response to their impressions. I don't want to feel like I always have to say something and reply when I feel like I don't have anything interesting to say, but I'll keep this in mind.

I'm not calling people out and I'm not saying it's an entirely bad thing either. It's only an observation that I've noticed that differentiates this general thread from anime specific threads. Even looking at the SAO thread and this thread at the time of its airing, much discussion about the show was had in this thread than ever in the specific thread where it was just littered with impressions and only that.

It's because the lively anime OTs are the exceptions.

Clearly if anime was as large as gaming side, it'd be a different story.

Anyway, not really caring for a split ot idea.

Well... I think it's a simple case of " I watched this and this is what I thought. Bye." Some people stick around to discuss but I think there are a good chunk of people, if not the majority of people who simply post to give impressions and that's it.

Most impressions don't generate discussion. Most of the time people will make those posts and no will respond.

kayos90

Most impressions don't generate discussion. Most of the time people will make those posts and no will respond.

While it's hard for me to gauge right now but last year I found many people having active discussions from impressions and such. Psycho-Pass was a perfect example of this.

Jarmel

Banned
Uchouten Kazoku 10-

The story took a turn for the stupid with this episode. You can't even do this level of election fraud in a third world country. Also some of the characters are becoming so ridiculously villainish that it's making me shake my head. I mean we're almost at Lion King territory here.

Crocodile

I've always been more of a lurker than a contributor but I've always enjoyed reading Mad Pierrot's posts and I'm saddened that he isn't having a good time here :( Hopefully he comes back soon.

I think it's mostly a matter of critical mass. Most shows have very few viewers on GAF. The more people watching, the more chances for discussion and it builds upon itself and forms a self reenforcing/sustaining loop of sorts. Love it or hate it, the Attack on Titan thread generates tons of discussion just due to how many, especially lapsed anime fans, are watching it. The Space Dandy and Kill la Kill threads are already longer than many full show threads and not a single episode of either has aired. As long as they live up to their hype, I expect those threads to be very active. I'm also expecting the Kill la Kill thread to be filled with reaction gifs regardless of whether or not it ends up being a dud or the next best thing since sliced bread but I suppose that's another matter all together :p

I've always been more of a lurker than a contributor but I've always enjoyed reading Mad Pierrot's posts and I'm saddened that he isn't having a good time here :( Hopefully he comes back soon.

I think it's mostly a matter of critical mass. Most shows have very few viewers on GAF. The more people watching, the more chances for discussion and it builds upon itself and forms a self reenforcing/sustaining loop of sorts. Love it or hate it, the Attack on Titan thread generates tons of discussion just due to how many, especially lapsed anime fans, are watching it. The Space Dandy and Kill la Kill threads are already longer than many full show threads and not a single episode of either has aired. As long as they live up to their hype, I expect those threads to be very active. I'm also expecting the Kill la Kill thread to be filled with reaction gifs regardless of whether or not it ends up being a dud or the next best thing since sliced bread but I suppose that's another matter all together :p

To be fair, those type of animes would appeal to those who don't normally watch anime, so they have a fair shot of generating activity for appealing beyond those who watch anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, there have been many members who have just left the anime thread for various reasons and haven't really come back. I suppose that has to happen, but I would hope that people don't feel too alienated here. I mean, it's just cartoons after all.

(I still hate SAO though, sorry kayos).

kayos90

Yeah, there have been many members who have just left the anime thread for various reasons and haven't really come back. I suppose that has to happen, but I would hope that people don't feel too alienated here. I mean, it's just cartoons after all.

(I still hate SAO though, sorry kayos).

I never really cared if people hated SAO. lol.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
We also discussed the dystopia in Psycho Pass and the various narrative workings of the show. It wasn't all bash.
none of those aspects were complex enough within the show to take seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom