• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Hey, who wants to buy this?

sss_20130912120346243.jpg

Take a guess who that is. Come on.

Here's a clue:

847b4175.jpg

Mature

I hope this is the right place to ask for suggestions.

I'm looking for an anime that has a perpetual, perhaps overbearing sense of despair, misery, doom and gloom and all that fun stuff. I want scenes of comic relief or general silliness to either be non existent or kept to an absolute minimum. I'm thinking elements from Paranoia Agent, Madoka Magica, Attack on Titan and, like, the opposite of Space Brothers.

Started watching Elfen Lied today and I'm up to episode 5. All of the romance/drama crap is turning me off and the violence isn't really doing anything for me, but I might as well continue watching.
Shigurui: Death Frenzy.

I'm looking for an anime that has a perpetual, perhaps overbearing sense of despair, misery, doom and gloom and all that fun stuff. I want scenes of comic relief or general silliness to either be non existent or kept to an absolute minimum. I'm thinking elements from Paranoia Agent, Madoka Magica, Attack on Titan and, like, the opposite of Space Brothers.

Started watching Elfen Lied today and I'm up to episode 5. All of the romance/drama crap is turning me off and the violence isn't really doing anything for me, but I might as well continue watching.

Seconding Texhnolyze.

Hey, who wants to buy this?

http://blog-imgs-61.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/sss_20130912120346243.jpg[/im]

Take a guess who that is. Come on.

Here's a clue:

[img]http://blog-imgs-61.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/847b4175.jpg[/im][/QUOTE]

It's certainly no Yukari Tamura nendo.

Branduil

Elfen Lied will certainly induce an overbearing feeling of despair, but not for the reasons they intended.

You might want to try Fate/Zero, since it has the same writer as Madoka. You could also look into

From the New World
Infinite Ryvius
Now and Then, Here and There
(quiet Hito)
Gunslinger Girl

and maybe

Black Rock Shooter TV for unintentional black comedy

FluxWaveZ

Texhnolyze easily.

Vampire Princess Miyu TV
Violinist of Hameln

Shigurui: Death Frenzy.

Seconding Texhnolyze.

Elfen Lied will certainly induce an overbearing feeling of despair, but not for the reasons they intended.

You might want to try Fate/Zero, since it has the same writer as Madoka. You could also look into

From the New World
Infinite Ryvius
Now and Then, Here and There
(quiet Hito)
Gunslinger Girl

and maybe

Black Rock Shooter TV for unintentional black comedy

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'll have some interesting stuff to start watching, now.

Crocodile

Would Casshern Sins work too? Still haven't watched all of it yet here so can't say with any confidence.

This seems like an excellent recommendation given what he's looking for. It took me a few episodes to warm up to it though but I loved it by the end.

Dynedom

Monster
Casshern Sins
Now and Then, Here And There
Basilisk
Noein
Mardock Scramble (but it sucks)
Battle Angel Alita (ditto)
Rumbling Hearts (I hated this anime but it will make you feel pretty miserable)

If you're willing to delve into Manga as well:

7 Seeds
Mahou Shoujo of the End

Fantasista Dolls - 02

I expected card duelling but instead i got DRAMA

Not that i mind much but still ..at least it ended on a cliffanger...

Kaiji.

And yeah, Bokurano is a good choice. Madoka Magica is pretty much a ripoff of it anyway.

Dresden

steins gate - 25

A fluffy ova/extra ep/whatever thingamajig taking place after the events of the series. Pure fluff and I wasn't too happy with where they chose to take it, but still, it satisfied enough of my heartfeels that I didn't think it a waste of time. Also more pleasant to watch than episode 12, in both production and content. People have mentioned that the direction/etc improves as the series goes, but it feels like they just had less to contend with as it went in regards to adapting the source material due to the story narrowing down in scope, and content like this - which presents far less of a hurdle than the original VN - shows the kind of challenges the staff could deal with.

The designs for the anime are derpy, but huke's original designs weren't great either . . . I do think it's a missed opportunity to clad most of the cast in something other than their original outfits.
America
being so comically void of people was pretty noticeable.

That last line is pure saccharine but it just hit the spot so well. I want more; looking forward to the movie's home release in December. I hope the shallow leering cynicism of Grand Theft Auto gets me out of this funk.

steins gate - 25

A fluffy ova/extra ep/whatever thingamajig taking place after the events of the series. Pure fluff and I wasn't too happy with where they chose to take it, but still, it satisfied enough of my heartfeels that I didn't think it a waste of time. Also more pleasant to watch than episode 12, in both production and content. People have mentioned that the direction/etc improves as the series goes, but it feels like they just had less to contend with as it went in regards to adapting the source material due to the story narrowing down in scope, and content like this - which presents far less of a hurdle than the original VN - shows the kind of challenges the staff could deal with.

The designs for the anime are derpy, but huke's original designs weren't great either . . . I do think it's a missed opportunity to clad most of the cast in something other than their original outfits.
America
being so comically void of people was pretty noticeable.

That last line is pure saccharine but it just hit the spot so well. I want more; looking forward to the movie's home release in December. I hope the shallow leering cynicism of Grand Theft Auto gets me out of this funk.

If you want more, you can wtill go for the drama CDS , some are translated and have good info on the franchise universe ...

Or you can play the game on PC too...

I think the anime is an Ok adaptation of the game but the game is just so much better ( and uncut )

---------------
Fantasista Doll - 03

The cliffanger was solved with extra rare sweets .... i don't see that every day.

New bad guy is creepy and a idiot ...i do see that every day.

Fantasista%20Doll%20-%2003.jpg

That's because it IS ridiculous !

So ... episode 4 i guess ? ( i need to sleep )

cajunator

Banned
When you're worrying about what percentages are "safe", you've already lost. Just enjoy whatever works for you.

Oh, of course, but not everyone is... mature.

Ehh. Who cares. Cute is cute.

Kokoro Connect 1

JzGPahk.png

Japanese school clubs
Step 1: Don't actually do anything
Step 2: Drink tea

Should be nice to watch back to back with Hyouka which seems set on pretending that sexual tension isn't the first thing on every student's mind.

Excellent choice. Youll like it :)

Instro

Kaiji
Golgo 13
GunGrave
Shiki
Casshern Sins
Skull Man (kind of fits)
From the New World
X (I think this works but I haven't seen it in forever.)

As far as movies go, Perfect Blue would fit what you are looking for pretty well I think.

Fantasista Doll - 04

So this bad guy arc was solved in a way that is kinda disapointing but yet so previsible..

BY ep4 it's now obvious they are focusing on the characters rather than the game ..i'm kinda disapointed but i'll live with it ....

How do trap card works ? why are teh defeated girls outside the house ? Did they forgot about the card club sub plot ? what about the girl in the first ep ? what is the dream organisation ? How do the card works ? how long was this thing here ? What are the 2 dudes ? i could ask questions all day ... so many questions yet no answer so far ... it's cute , some of the girls are even Cajun-tier cute BUT .... well you can't make a show ( even it's so far ok ) with that alone.

duckroll

BIG NEWS.

http://www.samumenco.com/music/#fs

Samurai Flamenco will feature insert songs from Tokusatsu legends Akira Kushida and Takayuki Miyauchi. The songs are theme songs for made up Tokusatsu shows inside the anime. Akira Kusida will be singing the theme song for Red Axe, while Takayuki Miyauchi is singing the theme song for Harakiri Sunshine. There are samples of both songs in the link above.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
BIG NEWS.

http://www.samumenco.com/music/#fs

Samurai Flamenco will feature insert songs from Tokusatsu legends Akira Kushida and Takayuki Miyauchi. The songs are theme songs for made up Tokusatsu shows inside the anime. Akira Kusida will be singing the theme song for Red Axe, while Takayuki Miyauchi is singing the theme song for Harakiri Sunshine. There are samples of both songs in the link above.

OH SHIT, BASED MIYAUCHI-SAN :O

cajunator

Banned
Thank goodness it is now though. All dat wolfrun

Yayoi getting in touch with her canine side.

SAIKANO. it has so much death, despair, and projectile blood vomiting. Also lots and lots and lots of crying.

CorvoSol

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PEACEISCLOSER!!

Turn A Gundam 40

The moonrace have advanced technology capable of letting them train dolphins and ride them underwater with scuba gear. They're capable of interplanetary flight, mobile suit manufacturing, and goodness knows what else. They have TV.

Why does their society look as primitive as the Earth's, then?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PEACEISCLOSER!!
Always can count on Corvo. Oh, also I totally wanted to come up to Rexburg this weekend but couldn't find a ride on the rideboard. I am coming NEXT weekend though, so glorious GAF meetup will commence then!

Turn A Gundam 40

The moonrace have advanced technology capable of letting them train dolphins and ride them underwater with scuba gear. They're capable of interplanetary flight, mobile suit manufacturing, and goodness knows what else. They have TV.

Why does their society look as primitive as the Earth's, then?
They probably just have a thing for 90's culture. Kinda like we're going through now.

CorvoSol

Always can count on Corvo. Oh, also I totally wanted to come up to Rexburg this weekend but couldn't find a ride on the rideboard. I am coming NEXT weekend though, so glorious GAF meetup will commence then!

They probably just have a thing for 90's culture. Kinda like we're going through now.

I wouldn't be in any state for visits this weekend anyway, what with my only getting into town late Saturday.

Victory Gundam 20

I'm sorry, is this a dating sim, or a war we're having here? Uso, how do you suddenly ask Junko if she likes Oliver in the middle of a fire fight? Bright would slap you one just for wasting his time, son. I mean c'moooooooon. Even Judau and his team of rag-tag no rules teenagers never did stupid stuff like this during combat.

Quasar

So we're approaching a new season, one that includes Log Horizon. Something that seems to share a fair bit with SAO. Will animegaf hate it more or less?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom