• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Whatever happened to 'optionally being inside a game'?

I miss the after-school adventures in the Digital World. Class is over, time to go fight the Digi-Emperor and his evil slaving scheme!

Quasar

It had tentacles and everything.

Yeah. I remembered after posting. So I guess I did blank it out. Or rather I have rewatched SAO just that I stop when the first arc ends.

So I'd completely forgotten about that tentacle episode. Not that I'm sure it had actual rape.

Theonik

What if my pet works for me?
A cat is fine too.jpg
But then again anime also includes other things in the realm of pets:
ibfr1gIiFHeIxj.jpg
~
Kagari has already ordered 10.

it's-a my birthday
  • Shinryaku! Ika Musume 02
This is the only birthday-related episode of any anime that comes to mind immediately.
Happy birthday!

CorvoSol

Yeah. I remembered after posting. So I guess I did blank it out. Or rather I have rewatched SAO just that I stop when the first arc ends.

So I'd completely forgotten about that tentacle episode. Not that I'm sure it had actual rape.

Well, I mean, Sugou never put his dick inside of Asuna, but he did sort of keep her brain and 300 others in a prison for his jollies. He did spend time to program a flavor for her tears. He may never have raped her, but he was definitely getting rapey.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, I mean, Sugou never put his dick inside of Asuna, but he did sort of keep her brain and 300 others in a prison for his jollies. He did spend time to program a flavor for her tears. He may never have raped her, but he was definitely getting rapey.

but was it rape rape?

wonzo

Banned
The author of Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is the same one for Log Horizon so I'm at least expecting a much more well written and nuanced series.

That is unless the MC turns out to be Kirito 2.0 in which case welp

cnet128

Banned
Free! 10

Whaaa? Even in elementary school, before he met Sharktooth, Haru was doing his "Ore wa free shika oyoganai!" bit? And here I thought this came about because of something that happened between them. Are we ever gonna get a back story on why he's so adamant on swimming freestyle?

I thought Makoto kind of explained that in this episode. He only swims freestyle because the reason he swims is that he loves the water and feels most at home there, and freestyle is the only style that allows him to just "be himself" without any restrictions.

Fantasista Doll - 04

So this bad guy arc was solved in a way that is kinda disapointing but yet so previsible..

BY ep4 it's now obvious they are focusing on the characters rather than the game ..i'm kinda disapointed but i'll live with it ....

How do trap card works ? why are teh defeated girls outside the house ? Did they forgot about the card club sub plot ? what about the girl in the first ep ? what is the dream organisation ? How do the card works ? how long was this thing here ? What are the 2 dudes ? i could ask questions all day ... so many questions yet no answer so far ... it's cute , some of the girls are even Cajun-tier cute BUT .... well you can't make a show ( even it's so far ok ) with that alone.

This show runs on Rule of Silly. Applying logics is futile.

(Don't worry, though, the show hasn't forgotten about the card club or the rival.)

faridmon

Finally finished the first season of Working!! Bloody hell those last 3 Episodes were just a slog fest. Also, did they run out of money by the end? The art direction have gotten considerably worse and worse as the series progressed.

I still liked it, overall. I'll post my impression later.

hat_hair

I hope this is the right place to ask for suggestions.

I'm looking for an anime that has a perpetual, perhaps overbearing sense of despair, misery, doom and gloom and all that fun stuff. I want scenes of comic relief or general silliness to either be non existent or kept to an absolute minimum. I'm thinking elements from Paranoia Agent, Madoka Magica, Attack on Titan and, like, the opposite of Space Brothers.

Started watching Elfen Lied today and I'm up to episode 5. All of the romance/drama crap is turning me off and the violence isn't really doing anything for me, but I might as well continue watching.

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade is one of my favourite animated movies.
It's kind of a thriller set in an alternate history where Germany conquered Japan during WWII, about a relationship between a suicide bomber's sister and a member of the riot police.

Need more Uchouten Kazoku, stat.

Benten why must you break my heart (although the brother being an irredeemable bastard was the real surprise).

cajunator

Banned
Inaban best girl, miyukichi da gawd.

This is not even up for debate.

Fantasista Doll - 04

So this bad guy arc was solved in a way that is kinda disapointing but yet so previsible..

BY ep4 it's now obvious they are focusing on the characters rather than the game ..i'm kinda disapointed but i'll live with it ....

How do trap card works ? why are teh defeated girls outside the house ? Did they forgot about the card club sub plot ? what about the girl in the first ep ? what is the dream organisation ? How do the card works ? how long was this thing here ? What are the 2 dudes ? i could ask questions all day ... so many questions yet no answer so far ... it's cute , some of the girls are even Cajun-tier cute BUT .... well you can't make a show ( even it's so far ok ) with that alone.

I'm listening...

it's-a my birthday

This is the only birthday-related episode of any anime that comes to mind immediately.

HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYYYY

lol holy crap
speaking of which i just watched an excerpt of
Xp6ezU3.png

Episode 7: Lisbest Is In This One

Alright, let's see how this goes...

After hearing dub voice

iKFGyNS.png

One of the only tolerable things from SAO.

wsippel

Banned
I hope this is the right place to ask for suggestions.

I'm looking for an anime that has a perpetual, perhaps overbearing sense of despair, misery, doom and gloom and all that fun stuff. I want scenes of comic relief or general silliness to either be non existent or kept to an absolute minimum.
If you can deal with the ugly art and extreme violence and gore, you might want to look into Genocyber.

sonicmj1

Gifuu Doudou 4

This wasn't a super-exciting episode. It sets up the exact shape of the trap the characters are in, trying to resolve a civil war between two sides that are willing to cooperate to get them out. The leader of the side they're supposedly friendly with has a thoroughly ridiculous design, but I enjoyed watching the obvious plotting play its course. Now to see how they get out of this situation.

ibwAyUUJdym5B1.jpg

MODOK must be his distant descendant.

I dunno, I don't have a lot to say for this one. I can't tell if the direction is getting better, or if I'm getting more interested in what's happening, but either way I'm having a better time than I expected after the first episode.

isGSBrOdbI3IL.jpg

There were a few moments of dramatic posing that I didn't really understand. They had all these dramatic sound effects and stuff, but the motions themselves didn't seem all that significant.

Rozen Maiden 2013 3

I still don't get how emails work, is it like the process of the mind or something, but in the form of a cellphone? Or is it doll magic, who knows.

You've seen more about it later, but it's essentially magic. I don't think inquiring more deeply than that into the logistical details of the fantasy world of the Rozen Maidens is productive.

It was neat seeing into the past, and what caused him to become even more of a shut in, as he was good at making girls clothing, but of course, doing something feminine makes you a queer since other people are assholes like that. Guess with the whole alternate timelines and whatnot, there's still the whole "believe in youself" motive... although technically it's not exactly "you" persay.

I think this was the incident that made him stop attending school and become a shut in in the first place, so technically it wouldn't be "even more". Jun's backstory was moving; I think many people can relate to having some hobby or skill that they tried to hide from others for fear it would cause them to be socially ostracized. Kids can be merciless with this. Although, as the revisit of the flashback in episode 7 highlights, many of the other students did praise Jun's work when it was revealed in the assembly and Jun simply couldn't hear them over those who mocked him. That's the long-lasting impact of bullying: the cruel, criticizing voice becomes internalized to the point where you can no longer believe anything positive about yourself and shut out all voices which contradict that low self-esteem. It takes a while for those scars to heal; as in Jun's case, they linger into adulthood, sensitive and easily reopened.

Anywho, took about 3 episodes for Shinku to be created (well two since it didn't start till last episode), and the 7th doll seems to be on the prowl. I don't know why, but she didn't look like the main antagonist at first, but I guess with her abilities.... Maybe I was careless.

That's what makes Kirakishou such a compelling antagonist. She lingers in the background, quietly weaving her web and manipulating her enemies until the time comes for her to strike.

Rozen Maiden 2013 4

You know, I think part of the enjoyments of the mundane nature is the music and how fitting it is for the atmosphere, on top of it being rather gray for a while. Hell, even in the second half, where Jun wasn't as mopey and actually enjoyed a day, it seemed the have a higher tone to reflect that.

The use of music and sound in general is carefully thought out. Many scenes don't use music at all, relying on ambient noises to create the setting and mood, which makes the music when it does enter that much more meaningful. As you point out, the music that begins when Jun is excitedly talking about fabric with Saito is soft, gentle, warm, high in register and light in texture, marking the moment Jun starts to open up to another person and begin to take pleasure in life. The music continues over scenes of Jun's day at university and work, as Jun carries and cherishes the memory of that pleasant conversation, a talk over trifles yet an important step for him personally, throughout his day.

Even as he grew, he still can't brew the right tea.

Well, middle school Jun had to learn to brew the kind of tea Shinku likes with practice. College Jun hasn't had that practice, so of course he's not going to get it right the first time.

Rozen Maiden 2013 7

Thinking back, I think what is most interesting is that he hasn't been able to contact unwound Jun since his cell phone "broke" in the N-Field in episode 3. I wonder if there's a connection to that.

Good catch. I didn't make that connection.

Jun's becoming depressed again from all this
and interestingly enough, he's building more dolls around this point of time. Making Shinku sort of made him a bit more... reclusive at first but started opening up for him. Maybe making this new doll is the exact opposite?

The process of building a doll is a solitary affair, keeping Jun holed up in his room. Once Shinku was created, though, she gave him someone to talk to and motivation to go outside to shop, creating the opportunity for Jun to begin to grow close to Saito. Keeping his new doll a secret from Shinku was Jun's main mistake.

Rozen Maiden 2013 9

Well then, time for things to start moving.

On the subject of pacing, it's interesting to note that episodes 2-8 adapt approximately a chapter of manga each while 9-10 adapt around 4 chapters. That's a smart decision, since Jun's story is the more interesting one while the fantasy Rozen Maiden plot tends to meander.

Speaking of which, the body isn't a replica. It's an actual Rozen Maiden body, which was deconstructed and sent into the Unwound world. Talk about fucked up yo.

The doll parts are inherently creepy, and this twist only makes them more so.

Rozen Maiden 2013 10

Suddenly this became a harem anime

This moment made me roll my eyes. Fortunately it wasn't dwelt on; doll harem antics would be insufferable.

Kanaria always get thrown under the bus.

I don't know; she's often made to be a joke, but I thought her violin playing to break the crystals was one of the coolest moments for any doll in the show. I did enjoy her nonsensical verbal tic being lampshaded and made fun of. That alone makes her a better character than Suiseiseki.

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai 1

Way too high level or something. Just couldnt get into it at all (though there was a KoiChoco reference in that chocolate stuff). Bewbie missiles, nekkid chocolate licking, and bath scene...too much.

Problem Children are Coming from Another World, aren't they? Episode 1 and 2
tumblr_mt0jooT7FR1qbxqfpo1_500.png

New school year, new anime club watches. Pretty fun anime at times and kind of funny two with the character personalities and all being overpowered. Wish episode 2's focus was on actually good characters but still entertaining at the end of the day. Izayoi is one of animes best characters though and instantly love at first sight even. Quite hilarious, entertaining, witty, and has a great personality. Though I wonder what his past must be like if he is truly that bored (and probably friendless it seemed). I think I will enjoy it if it stays on the games and does a bit less on that super serious plot...ED dancing is amazing.

This show runs on Rule of Silly. Applying logics is futile.

(Don't worry, though, the show hasn't forgotten about the card club or the rival.)
I hope i'm just in an introduction phase ... and that the plot will kick in after.

I love Kaminomi and Haqua so damn much.

Sorta a spoiler I guess?
It's a shame they skipped one of the best bits from the manga regarding Haqua though. :(

It's a shame regarding haqua but that skip was again expected given how much episodes they have for this arc.
At this rate they don't care about the great subplot ..

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I love Kaminomi and Haqua so damn much.

Sorta a spoiler I guess?
It's a shame they skipped one of the best bits from the manga regarding Haqua though. :(
Is there a reason they got rid of Elsie anyway? People just liked Haqua more? lol

it's-a my birthday
Happy aging day!

StayDead

I must know. What bit ?

The bits where she's imprisoned. They showed her initial meeting with Nora but a load of stuff happened after that before she ends up on the boat with Dokurou.

I'm happy with the anime anyway, I started off with the anime initially so I got to read loads of extra content when I went back and read the manga, it's just this season I'm fully up to date with the manga so I'm ahead :p

The bits where she's imprisoned. They showed her initial meeting with Nora but a load of stuff happened after that before she ends up on the boat with Dokurou.

I'm happy with the anime anyway, I started off with the anime initially so I got to read loads of extra content when I went back and read the manga, it's just this season I'm fully up to date with the manga so I'm ahead :p

Yeah. I am only following the anime so I asked. Thanks for info!

Is there a reason they got rid of Elsie anyway? People just liked Haqua more? lol

Well the plot needed a more capable partner than elsie and aqua was the closest character possible... Given what aqua went throught in the manga i'm pretty sure It was impossible for elsie.
Again this isn't obvious in the anime because they cut Aqua big moments and those events are at the basis of the next arc plot ( after this one ) but they don't care for this anime season i guess.

Haqua is indeed more popular

In the end , it's 60% plot , 40% popularity

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well the plot needed a more capable partner than elsie and aqua was the closest character possible... Given what aqua went throught in the manga i'm pretty sure It was impossible for elsie.
Again this isn't obvious in the anime because they cut Aqua big moments and those events are at the basis of the next arc plot ( after this one ) but they don't care for this anime season i guess.

Haqua is indeed more popular

In the end , it's 60% plot , 40% popularity
But what about those firetrucks? RIP.

Free 10

Man this episode was a chore to get through. Full of overblown melodrama over shit that happened years ago that we've known about for a while. Its like I'm watching AnoHana all over again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom