• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusRJR

Ugh I can't wait till next season. I've dropped every anime apart from Gatchaman Crowds and Silver Spoon. Need some new anime and stat.

duckroll

Why would it get another season? It seems like everything is set to wrap up in 2 more episodes.

Because it's positioned as a new IP crossmedia franchise. The DVD/BD sales aren't that great, but they have already expressed interest in planning another season regardless.

Because it's positioned as a new IP crossmedia franchise. The DVD/BD sales aren't that great, but they have already expressed interest in planning another season regardless.

I hadn't realized it was being positioned that way. Well it will be interesting to see what openings they leave in the final episode for future seasons.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
We're gonna get PopGAF'd. ._.

image.php

but i don't wanna get nuked...

I'm worry more about the LGBT thread.

Naruto Shippuden Episode 330 – Promise of Victory
tumblr_mt0fnpcrMD1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mt0fnpcrMD1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Not much action but the opening Jinchuriki/Tailed Beast song was quite good, naruto in sd style is always good. Wonder how the dub will do it. Otherwise just lots of talking... was glad for Sasuke screentime. Which with the way the rain was done and the environmental focus made for a scene much better than the source material.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Your Birthday rating depends on what shows started on that day.

So I'm afraid people born 7th July are literally bottom of the pile.

-Minsc-

I hope this is the right place to ask for suggestions.

I'm looking for an anime that has a perpetual, perhaps overbearing sense of despair, misery, doom and gloom and all that fun stuff. I want scenes of comic relief or general silliness to either be non existent or kept to an absolute minimum. I'm thinking elements from Paranoia Agent, Madoka Magica, Attack on Titan and, like, the opposite of Space Brothers.

Add another vote to Texhnolyze.

You've seen more about it later, but it's essentially magic. I don't think inquiring more deeply than that into the logistical details of the fantasy world of the Rozen Maidens is productive.

I think this was the incident that made him stop attending school and become a shut in in the first place, so technically it wouldn't be "even more". Jun's backstory was moving; I think many people can relate to having some hobby or skill that they tried to hide from others for fear it would cause them to be socially ostracized. Kids can be merciless with this. Although, as the revisit of the flashback in episode 7 highlights, many of the other students did praise Jun's work when it was revealed in the assembly and Jun simply couldn't hear them over those who mocked him. That's the long-lasting impact of bullying: the cruel, criticizing voice becomes internalized to the point where you can no longer believe anything positive about yourself and shut out all voices which contradict that low self-esteem. It takes a while for those scars to heal; as in Jun's case, they linger into adulthood, sensitive and easily reopened.

That's what makes Kirakishou such a compelling antagonist. She lingers in the background, quietly weaving her web and manipulating her enemies until the time comes for her to strike.

The use of music and sound in general is carefully thought out. Many scenes don't use music at all, relying on ambient noises to create the setting and mood, which makes the music when it does enter that much more meaningful. As you point out, the music that begins when Jun is excitedly talking about fabric with Saito is soft, gentle, warm, high in register and light in texture, marking the moment Jun starts to open up to another person and begin to take pleasure in life. The music continues over scenes of Jun's day at university and work, as Jun carries and cherishes the memory of that pleasant conversation, a talk over trifles yet an important step for him personally, throughout his day.

Well, middle school Jun had to learn to brew the kind of tea Shinku likes with practice. College Jun hasn't had that practice, so of course he's not going to get it right the first time.

Good catch. I didn't make that connection.

The process of building a doll is a solitary affair, keeping Jun holed up in his room. Once Shinku was created, though, she gave him someone to talk to and motivation to go outside to shop, creating the opportunity for Jun to begin to grow close to Saito. Keeping his new doll a secret from Shinku was Jun's main mistake.

On the subject of pacing, it's interesting to note that episodes 2-8 adapt approximately a chapter of manga each while 9-10 adapt around 4 chapters. That's a smart decision, since Jun's story is the more interesting one while the fantasy Rozen Maiden plot tends to meander.

The doll parts are inherently creepy, and this twist only makes them more so.

This moment made me roll my eyes. Fortunately it wasn't dwelt on; doll harem antics would be insufferable.

I don't know; she's often made to be a joke, but I thought her violin playing to break the crystals was one of the coolest moments for any doll in the show. I did enjoy her nonsensical verbal tic being lampshaded and made fun of. That alone makes her a better character than Suiseiseki.

Not sure where to begin here. But I guess I'll go with MAGIC DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN SHIT. There are those who praised him, and it started like that, but like you said, the ones "closest" to him were louder and more critical as well. Not to mention the ones praising him don't seem to know who Jun was. Well at least there were people praising him at the Troupe practice.

Not sure how to continue the music as it does what you said, but it still worked all the way to 10.

Would actually agree with how they adapted the chapters that I never read. Strangely compelling to actually watch it unfold.

Her violin playing felt like a "Dammit, I'm not a joke guys, I'm going to prove it!" and she did. I liked that.

Dynedom

Majestic Prince - 23

Some glorious action but looks like we're going to have a possible budget explosion on the last episode (hopefully).

I honestly cannot wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom