• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I tried to watch Sword Art Online, I really tried. Like 10 episodes of trying, hoping it would get better.

But I am forced to conclude it is hot freaking garbage.
How it got popular I have no idea.

Why would you even try? Do you not have friends to warn you?

Narag

Bikini armor is for the Dark Elves.

Don't worry though, Deedlit does become a damsel in distress/a revealing dress at the end of the series.

I have an idea of why they went that route but need to sit down and rewatch the second half so I can see if my idea holds any weight.

cajunator

Banned
I tried to watch Sword Art Online, I really tried. Like 10 episodes of trying, hoping it would get better.

But I am forced to conclude it is hot freaking garbage.
How it got popular I have no idea.

I made it through 15 episodes before angrily tossing it in the shitbin.

SAO was nothing but a waste of my time.

Despite the occasional exciting moment here and there, the show was bloated with everything I was warned about. And it all just made me tired. I wanted to write the classic AnimeGAF freak-out post that goes down here a lot, but I couldn't! By the end of the show, SAO had taken all the energy out of me that I couldn't even rage on it properly.

All I did was list its flaws and left it at that.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
you guys might have more anime ptsd than the sao's main characters.

Articalys

I liked SAO. It's not exactly a shining beacon of good writing and the second half of the show is definitely weaker than the first for several reasons, but overall it was enjoyable enough to watch.

How true is it that Crunchyroll's translation, video and typesetting quality are inferior to most fansubs? As someone who just bought premium membership this is kinda worrying.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
How true is it that Crunchyroll's translation, video and typesetting quality are inferior to most fansubs? As someone who just bought premium membership this is kinda worrying.

True. You can find site that did comparison between crunchyroll and fansubs. I can't link them for obvious reason, but, yeah.

On the other hand, viewing using crunchyroll help the creator, so there's that.

Vylash

translation quality varies by show, most of the time it's fine but sometimes the quality is really bad mainly when they're using Sentai subs or something, typesetting is shit and video quality is average at best, but it's not like you're paying a ton of money for a subscription or anything

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Most stuff doesn't get fan translations. If a fan translation exists it's either to fill a gap or to do a better job than Crunchyroll.

CorvoSol

And to think G Gundam was long considered the worst Gundam for being too different, and 'stupid'.

And this is why so much of the franchise is the prisoner of MSG and Zeta. It's also why I prefer the quirkier shows, because they tend to break away from MSG-Zeta and I appreciate them. Part of why ZZ is my favorite UC is because it is willing to be so damn different from MSG and Zeta.

If you go into the GundamGAF community right now, though, you'll see someone arguing that Gundam Build Fighters isn't Gundam because, I don't know, I guess it is just too good to be Gundam?

Now we just need more people to see the truth about Macross 7.

I respect Macross 7 for being batshit insane. I wasn't a huge fan of character designs in that show, and some of the villains didn't click with me, but I respect what Kawamori wanted to do there. It is hard for me to really hate a show so dedicated to saying "Rock and Roll is the alternative to warfare" that it grants Rock n Roll magical spiral energy to make space vampires orgasm mid-battle. If I love Do You Remember Love? for being the truest expression of Kawamori's idea of "greatest of love stories to the backdrop of the greatest of wars" then I appreciate Macross 7 for being no less dedicated to its own ideals.

To be honest I think I enjoyed 7 and Frontier way more than I did Plus, even though Plus was much, much better animated than either of them.

As a side note: Macross II is utter shit and I can't believe I was dumb enough to ignore warnings and watch it anyway.

Jex

The all encompassing nature of official streaming sites like Crunchyroll have pretty much rendered fansubs obsolete for many shows.

TUSR

Banned
The all encompassing nature of official streaming sites like Crunchyroll have pretty much rendered fansubs obsolete for many shows.

I always found that the formality of the translations differ between CR and a fansub group, whereas CR is more formal.

Or am I out to lunch here?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I wouldn't say its any better or really any worse. I pay for it because its legal, because its super convenient having most of the shows I watch on one site (and the rest are on Funi generally) and because its the easiest way to watch anime on my TV through my PS4 or on my phone (yes I am one of those monsters).

you guys might have more anime ptsd than the sao's main characters.

BxlVfnpCIAAP9RQ.jpg

Dynedom

I actually disagree with you on that.

IF E7:AO wasn't a sequel to one of my favorite anime, then they would have been neck and neck (with CE edging only because it somehow makes more a little sense).

AO almost retroactively destroying E7 earns it a special kind of vitriol from me.

Midonin

Princess Tutu 24-26 + Final Thoughts

I was drawn by Junichi Satou and the story's reputation, but I stayed for the story itself. I remember the first time I heard Nanae Katou's voice. She was the voice of reason in someone's head telling them to pursue the arts. A role she also largely served as Duck here. To write. The metafictional nature of the finale was consistent with the themes of the story, and the epilogue, though wordless and brief, said enough about the fates of the characters that I'm satisfied with how everything turned out.

It was all foreshadowed, but the end of the story was different from how I thought things would go. Rue was never that bad of a person, nor was Fakir, and the idea of the boy with a white color motif ending up with the girl in black (and the reverse also being true) paints a nice mirror image for the story. While it has no magic, and its battles are less physical than even Sailor Moon, they're ultimately more philosophical, and the ballet soundtrack is very well utilized, as is the story itself with how all those elements ultimately tie together.

This is a show ultimately worthy of its spot in the hall of magical girl greats. A real pleasure to watch, and I know I'll consider it one of my favorite series from now on. Tragic, yet hopeful. Just as Dross would and would not have wanted it.

CorvoSol

[foible Suit Gundam ZZ] - 2

It begins.

Oh Lord. I need to go on vacation from the thread. Suddenly people are watching ZZ Gundam and I don't know if my soul will weather the storm of people tearing into the show (considering its rather obvious early flaws).

Then again, you're not a huge fan of the UC, right Jex? And you're not coming hot off the heels of Zeta, so it might be interesting to see your opinion compared to others, who tend to enter ZZ right off Zeta and break their necks in the tonal whiplash.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
URGH, go watch Princess Nine you fuckin' nerd!
I should clarify, when I say "At that moment", I mean At the moment, of the currently airing anime, Free is the best sports anime.

I mean, of course Ping Pong is better than Free.

Well obviously when you have the best players in the world there is high chance and expectations that you win the tournament but if some countries are close enough they can cause the upset when they have good day and your team has bad day. The beaty of the team sports. For example like in summer olympics 2004 where US was only third in basketball. Or how Canada didn't even make it to the medal games in ice hockey during 2006 winter olympics.
With Hockey at least, it's not guaranteed that Canada wins though. Every game except the 2014 final was down to the wire and never a blow out, but that's because there are just enough good players from across the few countries that can compete.
I don't disagree that you can maybe out-strategy someone. Latvia almost did it during the 2014 Olympics with their tricky dick move (with a Canadian coach no less), but the inevitable happened and Canada just scored over and over again during the third period. In the long run, Latvia is just not a team that can beat the Canadian team short of some catastrophic failure.

Jex

Oh Lord. I need to go on vacation from the thread. Suddenly people are watching ZZ Gundam and I don't know if my soul will weather the storm of people tearing into the show (considering its rather obvious early flaws).

Then again, you're not a huge fan of the UC, right Jex? And you're not coming hot off the heels of Zeta, so it might be interesting to see your opinion compared to others, who tend to enter ZZ right off Zeta and break their necks in the tonal whiplash.

I don't know, this show seems fine to me! But I enjoy wacky, lunatic Tomino far more than super-serious, angsty Tomino. It doesn't bother me that there's nothing but wacky hijinks and stupid stuff because that's far more entertaining than nonsense space politics. In fact, I prefer it!

Defuser

Nozaki-kun ep 11
I like how the VA for Chiyo sound so happily squeeling on how Nozaki-kun treating her during lunch time and her moment in her bed. Makes me feel like she is really in love which is why she is able to give life to the character.

Jex

What do you mean by "all-encompassing"? Aren't the vast majority of CR's shows only ongoing ones?

Well isn't that all that really matters to the majority of anime fans? They do have some back catalouge stuff as well, but you don't sign up to Crunchyroll for a catalogue, it's for access to the new content.

And this is why so much of the franchise is the prisoner of MSG and Zeta. It's also why I prefer the quirkier shows, because they tend to break away from MSG-Zeta and I appreciate them. Part of why ZZ is my favorite UC is because it is willing to be so damn different from MSG and Zeta.

If you go into the GundamGAF community right now, though, you'll see someone arguing that Gundam Build Fighters isn't Gundam because, I don't know, I guess it is just too good to be Gundam?

Guess I should pay GundamGAF a visit...this can't be a serious argument...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well isn't that all that really matters to the majority of anime fans? They do have some back catalouge stuff as well, but you don't sign up to Crunchyroll for a catalogue, it's for access to the new content.
The fact that CR gives away the back catalog is a sign.

Although with manga readers, it's the reverse. Only the new issue is free while the catalog is premium. Go figure. There probably isn't the same manga reading zeitgeist because there's just too much of it to follow.

Jex

[ZZ Gundam] - 3

Wherein Tomino has no concept of space or time.

No, seriously, at one point Judeau's gang are chasing the Argama on foot, and then many minutes later they're suddenly directly underneath it. What?

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 19-21
cO10tP0.png

Rains expression is exactly how I look when watching this show.

So I am embracing the cheese. Fights are fun. Domon is still.... Domon. Rain is fine.

The one thing I am not embracing is the the plot conveniences and how contrived it can get. For example, I am still not very accepting of them being able to
get rid of Dark Gundam cells because of martial art magic
or whatever nonsense. I don't get how you can take time to come up with a scientific reason why the Dark Gundam can do what it can do but have such a lazy excuse with no pretext on how you can
rid a person of its cells

And I swear to god, Domon has learned the same lesson like six times already and just keeps going back to square one as a character every few episodes just to "re-learn" his lesson.

Anyways, despite everything above, the show has gotten progressively better. Not much better, but just enough to where I am not rolling my eyes every few minutes. Fights are more interesting and it seems, at least for now, like they're getting somewhere.

Dynedom

[ZZ Gundam] - 3

Wherein Tomino has no concept of space or time.

No, seriously, at one point Judeau's gang are chasing the Argama on foot, and then many minutes later they're suddenly directly underneath it. What?

Unless I'm mistaken, Tomino doesn't take the reigns of ZZ until about midway through.

Hint: you'll most likely know immediately when.

Sailor Moon 37

Luna discovers the shocking truth.

And Usagi goes to princess school which is another Dark Kingdom setup to get Sailor Moon. And as dumb a plan as it is, they almost succeed this time, only to fail because of themselves.

Midonin

Blade Dance 10

Kamito got along with Sylphid pretty quickly. Though Claire has not been having good luck ever since she came back from the dark spirit thing a while ago.

Link Man

Banned
Sailor Moon 37

Luna discovers the shocking truth.

And Usagi goes to princess school which is another Dark Kingdom setup to get Sailor Moon. And as dumb a plan as it is, they almost succeed this time, only to fail because of themselves.

Is any plan truly dumb if it involves trying to outsmart Usagi?

_dazed

is obviously Aim for the Ace. A sports anime so good, that Gainax added robots to it and made a top 10 mecha anime.

Is any plan truly dumb if it involves trying to outsmart Usagi?

Well... They're trying to capture Sailor Moon by setting up a princess school that's invite only and hopes that she turns up. And then they assume that anybody who is good at throwing a frisbee and is clumsy while dancing is Sailor Moon.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well... They're trying to capture Sailor Moon by setting up a princess school that's invite only and hopes that she turns up. And then they assume that anybody who is good at throwing a frisbee and is clumsy while dancing is Sailor Moon.

Yea, these are some Jadeite level schemes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
IF E7:AO wasn't a sequel to one of my favorite anime, then they would have been neck and neck (with CE edging only because it somehow makes more a little sense).

AO almost retroactively destroying E7 earns it a special kind of vitriol from me.

There was basically no reason for AO to exist.

With Hockey at least, it's not guaranteed that Canada wins though. Every game except the 2014 final was down to the wire and never a blow out, but that's because there are just enough good players from across the few countries that can compete.
I don't disagree that you can maybe out-strategy someone. Latvia almost did it during the 2014 Olympics with their tricky dick move (with a Canadian coach no less), but the inevitable happened and Canada just scored over and over again during the third period. In the long run, Latvia is just not a team that can beat the Canadian team short of some catastrophic failure.

Oh yeah. Definitely with hockey the situation is not as bad as in basketball (even though people continue to laugh that no-one expect canadians play hockey yet it doesn't have same kind of gulf between first and second as basketball) and it's improving year after year. 10 yeas ago no matter what tactics Latvia would have used they would had lost something like 6-0. KHL has really improved the level of eastern european national teams (Belarus was also pretty good at latest world championships). Hopefully the trend continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom