• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Foot all intents and proposes the way glass mask presents the acting it might as well be a sport.

So in that sense glass mask is the best sports show/manga.
What about Kaleido Star?!

If we're talking about full team sports in real life, there's no such thing as "dumb" gifted player or "smart" average player. That's all reductionist entertainment crap. You can have very talented players on your team, really good management, great tactics, and still lose to some scrub team if it's a bad day. Tons of factors apply - availability of players due to injury, morale, luck, etc. In many cases, what matters most for a team is not winning or losing a game, but rather consistency. Leagues are more common and regular than knock-out tournaments for that reason.
Yes, but there are better players and worse players. It's why at the Olympics, people just assume the USA will win the basketball tournament for example. It's a team composed of the best of the best in the world.

JNA

Banned
So far finishing up watching Love Stage...and even as a straight male I like it. It's pretty damn funny. :D

large.gif

Ghost in the Shell: SAC Ep. 6

Definitely an improvement over the previous two episodes, both in animation and storytelling. Maybe the show made me thirsty for sakuga but that fight sequence with the hacked guard was pretty sweet. Short, but sweet.

cajunator

Banned
Record of Lodoss War 3

Let's track how many times Parn gets owned in this episode:

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/e9b118d3038f0d7ffd00d74e7e9a9e44.webm

Man, don't these writers know anything about anime? The main character is supposed to be flawless in every way and never fail at anything he attempts unless it's on purpose as part of a larger scheme.

Vast improvement over the previous episode. Lots of stuff happening, much better storyboarding and direction, Deedlit. The characters and story are still very archetypal, but it's far better executed this time. And this episode shows how the series can really look great at times, especially in HD:

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/86fbe4965a7551cdac8ee21458c94d24.webm

Deedlit is lovely. How is #3 bad?

duckroll

Yes, but there are better players and worse players. It's why at the Olympics, people just assume the USA will win the basketball tournament for example. It's a team composed of the best of the best in the world.

Basketball for the USA is probably the same as Table Tennis for China. It's such a huge part of the sporting culture in one country in particular, where it's taken more seriously than anywhere else in the world, so when it comes to a national competition, who else would win? It's obvious. It's not just about better players it's about the entire nature of the sport.

Link Man

Banned
Nozaki-kun 11

"Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away"

Excellent episode. Nozaki's laugh had me in stitches, and the way he adapted the sleepover for his manga was brilliant.

Someone here said that Sakura acts as the straight man in this show, but I find her reactions the main attraction most of the time.

Sad this only has one episode left.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sport anime that's all about sport...
I guess there's none. Most of them are usually focus on character growth or something.

Gekkan Shojo Nozaki Kun 11

Nozaki trolling Chiyo is the best thing. Also, i want that curry bento!

Sabagebu 11

Sweetest desert eagle in any anime.
BASED LEMON!
Paramedic, i encounter cave demon!

Barakamon 10

The usual drama near the end of show. Sensei'll be back.

Taruranto

Record of Lodoss War 3

Let's track how many times Parn gets owned in this episode:

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/e9b118d3038f0d7ffd00d74e7e9a9e44.webm

Man, don't these writers know anything about anime? The main character is supposed to be flawless in every way and never fail at anything he attempts unless it's on purpose as part of a larger scheme.

Vast improvement over the previous episode. Lots of stuff happening, much better storyboarding and direction, Deedlit. The characters and story are still very archetypal, but it's far better executed this time. And this episode shows how the series can really look great at times, especially in HD:

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/86fbe4965a7551cdac8ee21458c94d24.webm

Is that an... elf? Why isn't she wearing a bikini armor and getting protected by the main character!?

Branduil

Is that an... elf? Why isn't she wearing a bikini armor and getting protected by the main character!?

Bikini armor is for the Dark Elves.

Don't worry though, Deedlit does become a damsel in distress/a revealing dress at the end of the series.

There are several sports anime airing right now, yes, but how many of them are about the sport itself rather than the characters?

Take All-Rounder Meguru and Teppuu for example. Both are "MMA mangas", but Meguru spends much of its time talking about MMA as it is actually practiced, while Teppuu is almost entirely concerned with the lead psycho girl's superiority complex.

Apart from that, the depiction of the sport once the fight stars is more realistic in Meguru.

Though I also think Meguru is lacking some character development for some time.

whaaat come on it is...... tries way to hard in the philosophical department in a feeble attempt to say to the watcher "look man this anime is deeeep". It isn't, but it doesn't have to be because the characters, base story and setting are all great on their own.

Well obviously when you have the best players in the world there is high chance and expectations that you win the tournament but if some countries are close enough they can cause the upset when they have good day and your team has bad day. The beaty of the team sports. For example like in summer olympics 2004 where US was only third in basketball. Or how Canada didn't even make it to the medal games in ice hockey during 2006 winter olympics.

Quasar

Nozaki-kun 11 - Hang in there Chiyo.

So sad there's only one to go. Who do I have to blackmail to get a second season?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ya know what, I've been consistently surprised at how good the animation and art in gekkan shoujo is. Dogakobo does pretty good work.

Nozaki-kun 11

A cute but not that funny first part, but the whole sleepover part was hilarious.

Space Dandy S2 11

Heh. Reminiscing of the noir style of Cowboy Bebop, the episode deals with a serious and bittersweet past love from Dandy, a romance triangle, and the quest to stop the ex-boyfriend... except
it subvert the seriousness of the plot with the crazy idea of the ex-gf being a 4th dimensional being and the other guy a 2d rectangle. Lol.

Here, have a sexy tesseract. Yeah look at those pointy corners moving...
Tesseract.gif

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nozaki-kun 11 - Hang in there Chiyo.

So sad there's only one to go. Who do I have to blackmail to get a second season?

Apparently it's doing well enough. Who knows?

Also the anime has only adapted less than half of the chapters so far, even though they've truncated quite a few of them
by leaving the funnier parts out. :(

So plenty of material left in that sense.

Vylash

Persona 4: The Golden Animation 05

ikUVQUjTkpk7g.gif
ibv02VUystyvZY.gif

Good god they put Marie into the Junes concert this time. only downside was Rise talked, hopefully that's fixed in future episodes, guess we're getting some sort of Adachi arc next, or maybe they're saving it for endgame

There's probably some method to marathon running though, just not sprinting.

If you're sprinting anywhere in a marathon other than maybe the last half or quarter mile, then you're doing it wrong. I will say most of the strategy comes in just executing proper pacing. Even with good endurance there are plenty of ways to still screw up.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 37

I will not lie, this was one of the most tedious episodes I have seen of the season. They seemed to be under the delusion that taking the unrefined mess that is Usagi and trying to refine her into a proper princess equated to comedy gold. There was some amusing bits, like the coffee joke, but this got old and stale fast. On the other hand I do appreciative them giving a reason for retiring the arcade communicator subplot now that it has outlived its usefulness.On the other hand, having Sailor Moon still bug out over Endimyon is ignoring basic continuity. Though really a larger problem with this arc is how the established Kunscite to be a very powerful foe but now hot to resort to some of the goofier monster of the week plots of the season. Overall, this was a pretty weak episode with a mild recommendation to avoid.

dan2026

I tried to watch Sword Art Online, I really tried. Like 10 episodes of trying, hoping it would get better.

But I am forced to conclude it is hot freaking garbage.
How it got popular I have no idea.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 38

Well now, this episode actually defied my expectations, I was expecting another tedious romp right out of the gate but this turned out to be a really solid and important episode. Also, Yuchiro actually got screen time, which is good because I had already forgotten he existed. He even gets some backstory, and some actual advancement in his relationship with Rei. Indeed, this is probably as close to a shining moment as he is going to get. Still, the crux of this episode was establishing once and for all that despite all of the rivalry Rei and Usagi are actually really close friends. This a subplot that was needed quite frankly as they really did too effective a job of making Usagi and Rei bitter rivals and that needed to be dialed back especially in light of recent events. I will note that the DiC dub somehow missed this and would eventually lead to one of that wretched creations worst moments. Anyway, strong recommendation to watch.

Hero Bank Episode 24
tumblr_nby1ecYTUW1qbxqfpo1_500.png

A world without people ruled by money shouldnt be so bad so its strange everyone is going after it, they even showed a person about to jump off a cliff from debt...so Adachi cant be all that bad.

Business card scene was hilarious, the way it glowed all the way to the galaxy was too much for my eyes.

Im going to miss Herobank once the final fight goes down :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom