• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I dont pay much attention to posters without an avatar

tumblr_nb8lri3Sp81tr6pz0o1_400.gif
Oh Snap!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ookiku Furikabutte if you're not DTL.

Watching that show is pretty funny as a western baseball fan since their portrayal of good baseball tactics is, uh, very different to say the least.
The best part of that show is the fact that the author is self-insert as the busty coach that the guys sorta-but-don't lust over.

Is there a hardness scale for sport series?
Depends. If the point is an accurate representation of the sport, then most anime/manga would fail by virtue of the fact that every single protagonist is the best player in the world of their respective sport.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Soft -> Hard

Free (not about sports at all unless upper body is a sport) -> Prince of Tennis (some sports talk, but most of it is made up nonsense) -> Ping Pong (realistic treatment of athletes and their sport)

I made this up on the spot.

There are several sports anime airing right now, yes, but how many of them are about the sport itself rather than the characters?

Take All-Rounder Meguru and Teppuu for example. Both are "MMA mangas", but Meguru spends much of its time talking about MMA as it is actually practiced, while Teppuu is almost entirely concerned with the lead psycho girl's superiority complex.

I don't think that's a meaningful distinction to make. Sports stories are inherently about the people who play them, this is true even for actual sports broadcasts. But certainly something like Ace of the Diamond is about actual baseball, it's not some character piece with a sports backdrop.

Depends. If the point is an accurate representation of the sport, then most anime/manga would fail by virtue of the fact that every single protagonist is the best player in the world of their respective sport.
Obviously some works are more fantastical than others, I'm just curious if fans have come up with something equivalent to the science fiction hardness scale.

Jex

I love G Gundam and think its the best Gundam of all time.

Macross 7? I don't know. It's definitely the wackiest Macross, but I still think Do You Remember Love? is the best Macross.

And to think G Gundam was long considered the worst Gundam for being too different, and 'stupid'.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
My Little monster 4

God just make them canon already why do you have to go through this resetting thing. ;_;

Westlo

Because :
- You have to make them on -site
- The material are hard to find and much needed for everyone who can fight ( since it's the base on those "bullets" )
- the people making them
are corrupted to the extreme and wouldn't make them properly in the first place

Hardly the thing that doesn't make sense ( many other things do )

- They have to put it all together on site, but they could've had the "lego blocks" ready to go in warehouses.
- They just talked about how Japan had an abundance of that material in the prior arc to the point of exporting it for favors.
- Yeah seen a few more eps so I see that.
- Of course, but it's still stupid lol.

duckroll

Isn't that basically all sports/physical activity?

No. Swimming is one of the sports where it's really pure physical potential down to the person alone + how the person trains to bring out that potential. There's no "tactics" or "strategy" involved really. Running is another one.

jman2050

It's funny, I want to say that Oofuri doesn't do this, but then I remember that Mihashi, a first-year high school student whose only baseball experience is getting his ass kicked in middle school and practicing pitching at home, somehow has Greg Maddux-like command of five or six different pitches because reasons. Additionally, the team has another player who's very likely one of the top HS-level hitting prospects in the entire country also because reasons.

I guess there have to be some acceptable compromises made to hook the reader/viewer into whatever sport they're trying to portray!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There's probably some method to marathon running though, just not sprinting.

duckroll

There's probably some method to marathon running though, just not sprinting.

Marathons and Triathlons do tend to have some leeway for strategic conservation of energy, yeah. But in the end I think the bulk of it still comes down to natural endurance. Very individualistic.

Quasar

No. Swimming is one of the sports where it's really pure physical potential down to the person alone + how the person trains to bring out that potential. There's no "tactics" or "strategy" involved really. Running is another one.

I dunno. There's some strategy with long distance swimming races. Same with marathons.

Link Man

Banned
Well, I finished Log Horizon this afternoon before work. Quite enjoyed it, especially its focus on the characters and their condition, as well as the socioeconomic situation of the world they're living in and their quest to unravel the world's secrets. Now, it's not without its problems. The production values are lacking quite a lot of the time (so much :wonzo), I'm not really fond of the way they handled Akatsuki's character, and Shiroe, like so many protagonists in these types of shows, comes off as a bit of a Gary Stu. That said, I'm really looking forward to next season, with the chance of exploring more of the world and its mysteries. Just hoping they keep the romance in the background.

And with that out of the way, I can start on my next backlog show: Hayate the Combat Butler. But first Nozaki-kun.

jman2050

Marathons and Triathlons do tend to have some leeway for strategic conservation of energy, yeah. But in the end I think the bulk of it still comes down to natural endurance. Very individualistic.

Yes, "natural". Definitely 100% dependent on personal body chemistry. And nothing else!

I'd watch an anime about the success and perils of abusing PEDs in sports like running. Could be interesting!

Maybe I should give the adaptation a watch. The circus arc is definitely the best arc, after that it gets a little... goofy.

The recent one was more of a return to form though. The series is at its best when it's exploring the relationship between ciel and Sebastian.

For me, it's pretty much the only good arc in the series.

It also made Ciel A LOT less sympathetic for me, which inevitably lead to me dropping it a few arcs later (also it got boring).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's funny, I want to say that Oofuri doesn't do this, but then I remember that Mihashi, a first-year high school student whose only baseball experience is getting his ass kicked in middle school and practicing pitching at home, somehow has Greg Maddux-like command of five or six different pitches because reasons. Additionally, the team has another player who's very likely one of the top HS-level hitting prospects in the entire country also because reasons.

I guess there have to be some acceptable compromises made to hook the reader/viewer into whatever sport they're trying to portray!
Yeah, Mihashi had not only a command of all the pitches, but the ability to throw in any of the nine sections of the strike zone. Basically the best pitcher to come out of Japan, if not the world. lol

But that's the thing, to appeal to the boys who are reading this stuff, the point is to show the extraordinary. That makes perfect sense, even if it's not realistic.

Not in team-based sports, since the necessity of teamwork mitigates innate biological advantages.
Well, I mean, Ping Pong basically had a guy who knew he couldn't compete with the best of the best because he's not talented enough, no matter how hard he tried. Dude basically realized the inevitable and quit the sport.
I assume all things being equal, tactics will win the day. But a "dumb" gifted player will presumably be able to beat the "smart" average player all the time?

duckroll

I assume all things being equal, tactics will win the day. But a "dumb" gifted player will presumably be able to beat the "smart" average player all the time?

Well what exactly are we talking about here? Ping Pong as a sport? Team sports? Individual sports?

If we're talking about Ping Pong in real life, the question is whether you're the China national team or not. If you are, you'll win. If you're not, you won't win. On the international or regional levels, that's basically all there is to it.

If we're talking about full team sports in real life, there's no such thing as "dumb" gifted player or "smart" average player. That's all reductionist entertainment crap. You can have very talented players on your team, really good management, great tactics, and still lose to some scrub team if it's a bad day. Tons of factors apply - availability of players due to injury, morale, luck, etc. In many cases, what matters most for a team is not winning or losing a game, but rather consistency. Leagues are more common and regular than knock-out tournaments for that reason.

I kinda wanna watch this show now.

Not gonna lie, I kinda want to watch this show now.

Don't fall for the lie! I think those gifs might be the only exciting moments in the show!*

*Disclaimer - I don't watch Kurobas.

Branduil

Record of Lodoss War 3

Let's track how many times Parn gets owned in this episode:

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/e9b118d3038f0d7ffd00d74e7e9a9e44.webm

Man, don't these writers know anything about anime? The main character is supposed to be flawless in every way and never fail at anything he attempts unless it's on purpose as part of a larger scheme.

Vast improvement over the previous episode. Lots of stuff happening, much better storyboarding and direction, Deedlit. The characters and story are still very archetypal, but it's far better executed this time. And this episode shows how the series can really look great at times, especially in HD:

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/86fbe4965a7551cdac8ee21458c94d24.webm

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
For all intents and purposes, with the way glass mask presents the acting it might as well be a sport.

So in that sense glass mask is the best sports show/manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom