• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Order a Rabbit? 11

NOzbIE4.jpg

It's a christmas episode.

Everybody still have to work though, but after a long day there's time for a party and christmas gifts.

Jex

[ZZ Gundam] - 6

It certainly feels like Mashymre is a weird joke character, but in actuality he's probably the most decent human being in this series so far. I mean, he tries to resolve things without conflict, damage to civilians or unnecessary deaths and seem to genuinely want to improve the situation for the people in the colonies.

Will watch Amagi Brilliant Park, just because of KyoAni.

I've heard the manga adaptation of Amagi Brilliant Park plays up the trashy aspects, but whether Takemoto can salvage something there remains to be seen.

The funniest part about that "preview" is that Takemoto and Shimo are changing the story so much that Fujimi Shobo is releasing another manga that'll adapt the story from the anime. So much for judging it based on the source material (though the internet blogs are in the "hate" portion of the "hate/hate" relationship with "KyoAni" at the moment).

Honestly, I'm more excited to see Tamako Love Story. I've heard great things about it and Yamada had her hands on every single aspect from layouts to each cut of the film. I expect many people will dislike it though (see the above KyoAni comment).

Is Shaft not making anything for the remainder of the year?

They're in pre-production for the TBS/Media Factory produced Koufuku Graffiti series that'll air in January on TBS.

Honestly, I'm more excited to see Tamako Love Story. I've heard great things about it and Yamada had her hands on every single aspect from layouts to each cut of the film. I expect many people will dislike it though (see the above KyoAni comment).

Hey, there's not a lot of Dera in it, so I'm looking forward to it :p

Akame ga Kill 11
That was over fairly fast for an invasion. Hardly any real tension. And now the jaegers are down one while Night Raid is up 2

[ZZ Gundam] - 6

It certainly feels like Mashymre is a weird joke character, but in actuality he's probably the most decent human being in this series so far. I mean, he tries to resolve things without conflict, damage to civilians or unnecessary deaths and seem to genuinely want to improve the situation for the people in the colonies.

Even the most adamant anti-ZZ peoples can't deny the greatness of Marhsmallow Mashymre. At least I hope.

Akame ga Kill 11
That was over fairly fast for an invasion. Hardly any real tension. And now the jaegers are down one while Night Raid is up 2

I think they kinda rushed this fight. Don't really remember though.

CorvoSol

[ZZ Gundam] - 6

Mashmyre is such a likeable guy. I'd say more but I don't want to spoil anything.

In Judau and company's defense, though, it was the 80s, and its Gundam, so being a bunch of unlikeable, anti-authority punks basically comes with their job descriptions.

TUSR

Banned

Right Stuf question

I purchased multiple things on one order, and some of the items are not released yet. Are they going to wait until its all released and ship it as one package?

My order status has these:

-Reserved For Your Order (Released but waiting to ship with the rest?)
-On Order From Manufacturer (Not yet released and waiting I assume)

If this is correct I have to wait at least another month before receiving all my items. Oof, at least im not in any rush for them.

Narag

Finally. Well shit, the one thing I want from NISA doesn't have that much of a discount.

Right Stuf question

I purchased multiple things on one order, and some of the items are not released yet. Are they going to wait until its all released and ship it as one package?

If this is correct I have to wait at least another month before receiving all my items. Oof, at least im not in any rush for them.

Ordered a bunch of stuff last month that was all preorder, stuff that released in August shipped already, rest will ship in December.

You are a terrible person for doing such a thing. Worse than those people who give out badrats.

My only regret is I can't give it to more people.

Right Stuf question

Various factors come into play. If you live in the US and it's been about 3 weeks to a month since the order is active and items are in stock, they'll generally split it and ship what's in stock. Otherwise, if an item is going out of stock quickly, they'll ship any items reserved so that their inventory doesn't get screwed up by having something held for a customer when it says there are none. (I recently had the LL set shipped last week even though I had another item that comes out next week because it went out of stock quickly).

In short, maybe they won't ship those that are reserved, but there is a slight chance they may ship what's reserved now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Right Stuf question

I haven't ordered them in ages because they upped the cost of shipping to Canada (along with using Fedex :/), but when I bought from them they would ship stuff in a single order unless the release dates are a six months or greater apart.

Jex

Kill la Kill - OVA a.k.a Episode 25 a.k.a Ending 2

I think sonicmj1's thoughts on this episode essentially mirror my own. This really feels like the ending to Kill la Kill - Highschool Edition, a show with a very different arc and focus. It doesn't in any way, match the second half of the series. It really feels like the writers completely lost track of the original themes, characters and ideas that the series was going to originally explore before it became just another escalating battle series and this episode was some kind of bizarre attempt to stitch them back into the show. The result is a very uneven patchwork of concepts.

I mean, I don't even think this extra ending really makes sense on it's own terms. Take, for example, the setting.

The idea that some kind of real, normal world exists outside the insane, apocalyptic setting of the academy has never sat well with me and the idea that these characters are casually going to transition into this 'real' world just doesn't make any kind of sense to me. I mean, this isn't like Utena where the transition is more metaphorical, we're supposed to believe that this totally insane town somehow resided within a normal world? I'm sure the whole academy/shanty town made considerably more sense in the post-apocalytpic setting that this show was originally supposed to take place in. Really, it would be a lot better if characters didn't even talk about it because it just creates too many inconsistencies.

Moving specifically into characters
surely Rei should be happy that the killer of her parents and whole village has also been killed? Why wouldn't she harbour any resentment? Why does this character even need a backstory and if they do why only deal with it now?

But whatever, I have already exhausted enough energy on this series, more than it's probably worth.

TUSR

Banned
Ordered a bunch of stuff last month that was all preorder, stuff that released in August shipped already, rest will ship in December.

In short, maybe they won't ship those that are reserved, but there is a slight chance they may ship what's reserved now.

I haven't ordered them in ages because they upped the cost of shipping to Canada (along with using Fedex :/), but when I bought from them they would ship stuff in a single order unless the release dates are a six months or greater apart.

I just checked my email and got his a couple of minutes ago from their customer service.

Orders shipping to Canada are held most of the time until all of the items in a particular order are in stock in our warehouse. In situations when an international order has been held up by one or two items for several months, we will, at our option, ship the items that are currently available on that order and any other current orders to the customer without a partial shipping fee. Items will ship in the same box, to minimize customs charges.

Which lines up with exactly what you just said, so it looks like I will be waiting another 5 weeks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Which lines up with exactly what you just said, so it looks like I will be waiting another 5 weeks.
I preferred that system, because I would pre-order stuff ages in advance and if something new came out, I could just email them to add it to my order and not have to pay extra shipping.

But I can't think of a way to spend 250 bucks on anime in a single order, unless they start taking preorders for things like 2 years in advance or something.

TUSR

Banned

The Scissors of Longinus.

At least they covered some plot holes.

Right?

I preferred that system, because I would pre-order stuff ages in advance and if something new came out, I could just email them to add it to my order and not have to pay extra shipping.

But I can't think of a way to spend 250 bucks on anime in a single order, unless they start taking preorders for things like 2 years in advance or something.

Its not a bad system, it definitely suits me because im in no rush to receive any of the items. I don't think ill ever need anime express delivered.

M3 Episode 22
Bxmk4IDIgAAs-ef.png

Finally, it finally happened, I knew sticking with it would definitely make it happen and it worked. M3 got quite good and now its even better than before.

how nice for the tree to sprout up randomly in the base just when they needed it. I kind of wonder if they would just do a bad end route and have the entire world become the lightless realm. Imagine evolved humans for it

Branduil

Terror in Resonance 8

This show is substantially improved when it pretends Shibazaki is the main character. It's probably because he actually has characterizaton.

Terror in Resonance 9

This episode is a good example of the contrast between the writing and the direction in this show, in that the writing is bad and yet the direction and music are working overtime to try and make things work. It doesn't entirely, but there's something resembling real emotion in the ferris wheel scene, despite the absurdity and unearned-ness of it.

Jarmel

Banned

Moving specifically into characters
surely Rei should be happy that the killer of her parents and whole village has also been killed? Why wouldn't she harbour any resentment? Why does this character even need a backstory and if they do why only deal with it now?

Rei's family/village were killed by in a civil war. As far as I can tell, there was nothing on the part of Ragyo killing Rei's family but rather she killed the soldiers that had wiped out Rei's village.

Jex

KLK OVA SPOILERS
Rei's family/village were killed by in a civil war. As far as I can tell, there was nothing on the part of Ragyo killing Rei's family but rather she killed the soldiers that had wiped out Rei's village.

I think that also makes sense, but there's practically no context for the scene at all. We're told it's a civil war, but for some reason Ragyo is there dressed as a soldier kind of? And she somehow knows these villagers are resistant to life fibres? It just seems like a poorly thought out idea and the visual execution of that scene reveals how little effort is put into having it make sense.

cajunator

Banned
you guys might have more anime ptsd than the sao's main characters.

Lol this might actually be true!
We are all tortured souls. Usually by our own doing.

Cajun how could you do this?

Sorry man. you know in my world cute > sexy. Deedlit is more adorable to me.
Pirotess is a badass though.

The all encompassing nature of official streaming sites like Crunchyroll have pretty much rendered fansubs obsolete for many shows.

True it has cut down on fansubbers, especially with the CR guest passes in effect, but it hasnt even come close to eliminating it yet.
A whole lot of people, particularly in younger generation, still bleieve that anime is a right instead of a privilege to watch.

Princess Tutu 23-26 + Final Thoughts

I was drawn by Junichi Satou and the story's reputation, but I stayed for the story itself. I remember the first time I heard Nanae Katou's voice. She was the voice of reason in someone's head telling them to pursue the arts. A role she also largely served as Duck here. To write. The metafictional nature of the finale was consistent with the themes of the story, and the epilogue, though wordless and brief, said enough about the fates of the characters that I'm satisfied with how everything turned out.

It was all foreshadowed, but the end of the story was different from how I thought things would go. Rue was never that bad of a person, nor was Fakir, and the idea of the boy with a white color motif ending up with the girl in black (and the reverse also being true) paints a nice mirror image for the story. While it has no magic, and its battles are less physical than even Sailor Moon, they're ultimately more philosophical, and the ballet soundtrack is very well utilized, as is the story itself with how all those elements ultimately tie together.

This is a show ultimately worthy of its spot in the hall of magical girl greats. A real pleasure to watch, and I know I'll consider it one of my favorite series from now on. Tragic, yet hopeful. Just as Dross would and would not have wanted it.

This show is so bittersweet to me. I felt a bit empty in the end for reasons you could probably guess but its still a good way to end it. Anyway, I would suggest watching it dubbed too, because Luci Christian puts her adorable little heart into making Ducky special.

Sailor Moon 37

Luna discovers the shocking truth.

And Usagi goes to princess school which is another Dark Kingdom setup to get Sailor Moon. And as dumb a plan as it is, they almost succeed this time, only to fail because of themselves.

This episode was pretty hilarious. The way Luna finds out what has been pulling the strings and also the whole ridiculous princess school thing to find Usagi, which still fails spectacularly because the dark moon kingdom (I refuse to call it the negaverse) are too stupid to catch the dumbest girl in all of anime.

True it has cut down on fansubbers, especially with the CR guest passes in effect, but it hasnt even come close to eliminating it yet.
A whole lot of people, particularly in younger generation, still believe that anime is a right instead of a privilege to watch.
Exactly. Which is why i'm baffled by when some of these people argue "What am i supposed to do if CR doesn't have the show i want to watch?". You aren't entitled to anime, guys.

Jarmel

Banned
KLK OVA SPOILERS

I think that also makes sense, but there's practically no context for the scene at all. We're told it's a civil war, but for some reason Ragyo is there dressed as a soldier kind of? And she somehow knows these villagers are resistant to life fibres? It just seems like a poorly thought out idea and the visual execution of that scene reveals how little effort is put into having it make sense.

Honestly I feel that's info that really doesn't need to be explained. There might be something about Africans being fiber resistant that never got introduced into the main plot.

As to Ragyo's clothing, she dresses however she wants. Woman is a perverted fashion model, I'm not surprised she dressed up like a soldier just to go to a warzone.

KLK OVA SPOILERS

Yeah, you are over-thinking this. KLK was never about having a consistent story.

JNA

Banned
I always like the cart

Katawa Shoujo anime!? What!?

Why did I not hear anything about this!? How did I not find this out!?

WHHAAAAAAAAAAAT!?

Are they doing the Lilly Route? Hanoko? Emi? All of the above? One of the above and a bunch of OVAs!? WHAT I SAY WHAT!?

Clov

WHHAAAAAAAAAAAT!?

Are they doing the Lilly Route? Hanoko? Emi? All of the above? One of the above and a bunch of OVAs!? WHAT I SAY WHAT!?

Yep! It's airing around the same time as the second season of Baccano and the fourth season of Full Metal Panic.

Joe Molotov

WHHAAAAAAAAAAAT!?

All them, every single one. Even an anime exclusive Misha route.

cajunator

Banned
Cart Driver posted their Fall preview. http://thecartdriver.com/fall-2014-...ampaign=Feed:+thecartdriver+(The+Cart+Driver)

I'm not sure what I would give to have that sort of writing skill but I'm sure it would be something big. Every season she comes out with the goods.

Some highlights:

These shows sound like trash and Ill watch them anyway because the cuteness factor is high.

1kYFZJQ.png

'nuff said.

I condone this message

Oh Cajun...

Already bought it for the mofu. I dont even care about the ecchi.

If you're implying gifting, I'd rather not, no offense. I always feel so obligated to do something when that happens. Otherwise, Steam name is Tenumi (And from the looks of it, the Only Tenumi on Steam)

--------------------------------

Dog Days: 03

This is hitting all of my happiness marks. Animal ears and tails on humanoid people? Check. Light hearted? Check. Fun to watch? Check.

Dog Days is pure love for fluffy tail enthusiasts.

Is Shaft not making anything for the remainder of the year?

That cute girls eating food show next year.

Zakuro is MINE.

Right Stuf question

Perhaps because I spend a small fortune there, but Rightstuf generally will ship anything to me separate or in whatever way I want it sent if an item is holding up an order or otherwise. I just have to make a quick phone call to them. They probably do that in general though. Cannot recommend that place highly enough.

Exactly. Which is why i'm baffled by when some of these people argue "What am i supposed to do if CR doesn't have the show i want to watch?". You aren't entitled to anime, guys.

It is rather unfortunate that large portions of catalog have this fate, but the choice is as it always was. either buy it from Japan, find old Us copies of it, or just watch something else (most would refuse this)

WHHAAAAAAAAAAAT!?

"You know it's a fake seasonal chart when it includes a Full Metal Panic sequel"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom