• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO
HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO HANTAI NO

regardless of how i feel about nozaki-kun's ending song i can't get it out of my head

Akame Ga Kill 11

Nope I yield

Can't wait weekly anymore, gonna read the whole manga now

Sorry weekly anime like Sailor Moon, SAO, etc you aren't as good as Akame Ga Kill

If you think Akame Ga Kill is good then you should read the manga for Tokyo Ghoul. Though I'll tell you the anime ain't good since it butchers the manga. But goddamn is the manga amazing it has really great character development and without fanservice.

Defuser

I always like the cart

winter-2015-anime-chart.jpg

Iris Zero.
Horimiya.
Yamada and the Seven Witches.

I would kill for these shows to be a full animated series.

Midonin

The next show on my list was "drew inspiration from the same material as World Masterpiece Theater, but would never be featured on it."

If adaptations of Shakespeare are an example, the question must be raised. Are some stories universal enough that they can have their settings changed and still work? Anime has a large number of "X in a modern day high school," but that's far from the only variant. What if it was already at a school, how much further ahead could it be moved? What about space? And for me, this is a good chance because though it may be a war, it's one of the few mecha shows I know of that has a female protagonist.

Soukou no Strain 01

A Little Princess in space! Layering sci-fi trappings over classic stories can sometimes work, and sometimes it can just be silly. Sara is, no doubt, a huge brocon. In a different way than people make easy jokes about, but it's not really hidden that it's a motivating force for her. I don't have many opinions on the CGI mecha because I was paying attention to the groundbound scenes, and there wasn't much of them yet. Going for a
everybody the main characters knows is dead
beginning is certainly shocking, though how that impacts the rest of the story is more important.

Articalys

If you think Akame Ga Kill is good then you should read the manga for Tokyo Ghoul. Though I'll tell you the anime ain't good since it butchers the manga. But goddamn is the manga amazing it has really great character development and without the unnecessary fanservice.
I was thinking about this phrase for a while.

Is there actually such a thing as necessary fanservice?

jgminto

Looking at the Fall lineup I think this is going to be a pretty backlog heavy season for me. The only shows that look interesting to me right now are:

Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road - I'm so ready to see the rest of the Interhigh. I've read further in the manga and it's just made me more excited to see it. Would be nice to see some proper animation but that's an unlikely scenario. The characters are so engaging and the emotions are so fierce I think I can continue to put up with the CG. The most exciting part of the new season is more post-ED shorts, they were great in the last season and added a lot to the characters that wouldn't get much time otherwise.

Mushishi Zoku Shou 2 - I still need to catch up on the new specials but while I wasn't totally satisfied with the first half of Zoku Shou, the high points were fantastic and it was still a visually stunning masterpiece. I'm just hoping for less angsty teen episodes this time around.

Parasyte - All I've seen of the series was the trailer for the show but that was all I needed to see to know this was something I wanted to watch. The big thing is whether I'll be able to watch this as it airs or if I'll have to wait for an uncensored version.

Gundam Build Fighters Try - GBF was my first experience with Gundam and I loved it. If they've thrown away the annoying cheating and unsatisfying fight conclusions, this could be even better.

Gundam: G no Reconguista - I'm not sure whether this is something I want to watch yet. As I just said above, GBF is my first and only experience with Gundam so starting a regular Gundam series is a daunting task and I don't know whether this will be a good place to start. It looks nice though and I like the unique designs of the suits.

Aaaaand that's about it. I guess I might check out that show about a guy who has a merman in his bathtub but I'm not a fan of mermen, it's a weird fetish. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to start an older Gundam series as well since I'm not watching much and others are watching some of them right now. I also still have FMA Brotherhood backlogged at episode 4 so it might be time to power through to the good parts of that. Other than that, who knows.

I was thinking about this phrase for a while.

Just wait for the Prison School anime. That should be a sufficient answer.

Gundam Build Fighters Try - GBF was my first experience with Gundam and I loved it. If they've thrown away the annoying cheating and unsatisfying fight conclusions, this could be even better.

Gundam: G no Reconguista - I'm not sure whether this is something I want to watch yet. As I just said above, GBF is my first and only experience with Gundam so starting a regular Gundam series is a daunting task and I don't know whether this will be a good place to start. It looks nice though and I like the unique designs of the suits.

G-reco is "not made for the old fans" so it should be at least a decent starting point.
GBF is both the best and worst starting point, because there's no huge timeline or war drama shit to pull it down, but also pretty much everything is a reference in some shape or form so you'll be missing a lot. So watch it twice.

And I also hope the Parasyte adaptation isn't bogged down by massive censoring like Tokyo Ghoul or JoJo (at times) but it's Madhouse, they got away with a lot in HxH.

Midonin

I'd argue that for two of Hiraku Kaneko's series (Qwaser and Manyuu Hikenchou), the sexual aspects are baked right into the premise, so you can't remove them without fundamentally changing the series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hanayamata 11

9UWWHASl.png

Close enough. There's still the weird dissonance that comes from the fact that her family speaks Japanese at home anyway, but what can you do.

OihfnuGl.png

The episode itself sets up the final complication before the finale, and they pull the "Kotori gambit" from Love Live S1 where one of the cast members is going to leave the show (I know it's happened many times before, but Love Live is still in my head), and I'm not sure how I feel about this particular piece of visual symbolism. It was used in the preview last week as well, which basically "spoiled" this complication. But maybe the dramatic irony makes this episode a bit different and they can let the audience know what will happen to Hana without having to completely spell it out to them.

So if this was pure jdrama, I would expect the plane to be diverted back to Narita and for Hana to reunite with the rest of the girls before the dance contest. But since I assume that this show is better than that, I am hoping that the reunion happens a year or so later, when the girls are about to enter high school and they all suddenly see her again.

I mean, that's just as contrived as well of course, but I understand the need to make the show itself narratively fulfilling by providing a happy ending. Seeing the girls start high school also basically allows room for a sequel, assuming the manga/light novel hasn't already covered that already.

jgminto

G-reco is "not made for the old fans" so it should be at least a decent starting point.
GBF is both the best and worst starting point, because there's no huge timeline or war drama shit to pull it down, but also pretty much everything is a reference in some shape or form so you'll be missing a lot. So watch it twice.

I got some of the references in GBF but that was just because I already saw that stuff referenced in Gintama lol.

Hamatora Re. 11
Warning. Major profanity and spoilers behind this black bar. Its probably best if you dont click it, I just needed to rant
WHAT IN THE FUCKING FUCK ART. WHAT THE FUCK. I can't believe that just happened. Nice is dead, Hajime will probably end up committing suicide, the other main characters are either severely injured or dying and everybody lost their minimum. Pretty much the only good thing is that all the members of Freenum died, but WHAT THE FUCK ART. It doesn't help that your damned half-explanation as to why you did all of this is stupid as hell.

The only saving grace is that we have one more episode left for them to try and fix shit, but it will probably end up with Hajime and the other members of Hamatora offing themselves , Art explaining the other half-reason for why he did what he did and then finally dying a death in a manor that wont end up fitting what he actually deserves. I can't believe that just happened.

Gah, I need to go take a breather. This episode just annoyed me to no ends.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I have absolutely no idea what kind of comparison you're making here.

Nozaki-kun's OP song is fun. I love the bass. I love the backing vocals. I love the horns. It sounds more like a good time than any other OP this season. If there are tons of other shows that have opening songs like it, but better, point me to them.
I don't really know what to say. The sound is unsophisticated and feels like it was pulled up from the dregs of male pop stars that have little range and sound the same. The instrumentals are muted and lifeless and the singing comes across as forced and unremarkable.

I'm not going to be able to point you to stuff that you like better because I would guess the instrumentals catch you more. Lots of sports shows feel like they fall into a similar place vocally with lame rock underneath it instead. If you like it so much he's on the Ace of Diamond opening too, although the first thing that came to mind was the Haikyuu ED.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I won a dyson fan in a contest. It kind of sucks, thing is louder than a regular fan somehow lol. Novelty of it is cool though I guess.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC Ep. 7

This had action but none of it was that well animated. :\ Must have been outsourced. There was a particularly amusing :wonzo shot of the Major talking. I like how they had her fight two prostitute androids just because.

Edit:
This was on screen for a good ten seconds. I think I'm going to start calling that the :wonzo room because I swear a good percentage of the quality shots are during those scenes.

cajunator

Banned
Trying to discuss anime with an ANN writer on twitter.

I instantly regret everything.

I gotta see this. Whats their twitter handle?
Actually I follow you so I should see it

Joshiraku ED is ear cancer.

Whaaaaat? I must disagree!

If you look at tumblr, pixiv etc, etc, Sakura is by far the most popular girl of the show.

They've made her way cuter and more prominent than in the manga.

Oh dear god yes they did. Hnnnnnnnngh

Strike Witches 2 - 1

Well, it certainly is more Strike Witches.

Though at least I got some sense of continuity given that
a witch tried to communicate with a humanoid Neuroi.

Though I doubt they'll go much further than that if that MAL review is to be believed.

Kyuur

Aldnoah Zero 9-11 Awesome.
Nozaki-kun 9-11 Awesome
Haikyuu 22-24 Awesome

I am going to miss this season.

Quick Edit: Also, I declare anyone who dislikes Nozaki's OP/ED my enemy.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - 1

I know the mind of a child is adventurous and all, but I'm pretty sure if I saw a Zaku duke it out in my city and fly directly over my head, running after it would not be one of my first ideas.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - 1

I know the mind of a child is adventurous and all, but I'm pretty sure if I saw a Zaku duke it out in my city and fly directly over my head, running after it would not be one of my first ideas.

Good choice.

The kids are a bit danger ignorant. But at least you can explain it by just saying "they're kids" instead of the usually dumb Gundam teen pilots

Dresden

fZ3IqZa.png

This is like Harry Potter if Rowling decided to pander to sweaty 34-year old nerds instead.

I mean, that's what half the fanbase is like now, but it's what they became rather than what they were.

Also the guy in the back died in Attack on Titan somewhere.

Syrinx

Working'!! 3

This was hilarious. Izumi was long overdue for an episode focused on her.

Don't much like the new OP but this new ED is funky.

I always like the cart

Almost fell for it. Then I saw Planetarian and got sad because I know that news wouldn't have gotten by me. :(

Edit: Katawa Shoujo could've been a cool anime but I am sure the rights to that particular work is a nightmare.

Branduil

Record of Lodoss War 4

In this episode:

-manly kings
-Deedlit faces
-cliched fantasy locations
-evil witches always wear purple lipstick
-Ashram makes a menacing pose while doing nothing

Decent episode.

Jex

Honestly I feel that's info that really doesn't need to be explained. There might be something about Africans being fiber resistant that never got introduced into the main plot.

As to Ragyo's clothing, she dresses however she wants. Woman is a perverted fashion model, I'm not surprised she dressed up like a soldier just to go to a warzone.

Yeah, you are over-thinking this. KLK was never about having a consistent story.
I suppose such a lazy response is the only appropriate response to such lazy writing. It just goes how little thought was put into the rest of the world of KLK.
I just thought, "Oh, so she's like Solidus Snake," and then stopped asking questions.

You know, because Metal Gear is anime.
Metal Gear is like James Bond and therefore cool and therefore not anime!

Syrinx

Working'!! 4

Kyoko totally knew that was Otoo's wife. And not only did she keep quiet, she made Yachiyo keep quiet, all so Otoo would keep bringing her snacks from all the places he goes to search for her. This is why she's the best.

If Otoo doesn't think of Yamada as a daughter, what exactly is she to him? For now she's just some weird girl he randomly picked up at the subway station who now lives in the loft of the restaurant and works there. Meh, either way it's funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom