• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, watchbets being used for the power of evil :(

Someone needs to make a watchbet with me one of these days in order to save everyone's faith in them. The only problem is almost everyone here has probably seen all the great shows I've seen. :(

Fairy Tail 1-2 - My first watching of one of these kinds of shows (super long shonen show). I don't expect to watch it all but...the first two episodes weren't terrible by any stretch.

Lets see if I last longer than a dozen or so episodes. Then again with a shitty season (for me) approaching maybe I'll keep going.

Here's the thing with Fairy Tail. This show was once my favourite anime of all time.

Now keep in mind, that was before I watched Geass, Madoka, Nanoha, TTGL, Hunter X Hunter, Baccano!, Kino's Journey, Eureka 7, and G Gundam!

One of the major reasons why I liked it so much was because of how lighthearted and fun it was. The first season (48 episodes) is all right, I guess. If you can stand one of the first instances of the Hiro Mashima backpedal.

Starting from the second season is where things start to go downhill for most people. The arcs begin to last a lot longer, and Mashima continues to do his usual shtick almost every time with each one of them.

Whenever you think that the show will take a really dark turn with a lot of foreshadowing, just before it makes the full turn it hits the brakes and goes the other way. So I can easily see why many people weren't fond of this show.

I don't recommend this show to people as much as I did in the past, now that I can see the flaws it has more clearly. But like I said, I'm a fan of when it is lighthearted and funny, so I can't bring myself to hate it. And the soundtracks that plays during the big action moments are really really badass. Every now and then I STILL like to listen to that show's OST.

All in all, this isn't a great show, but it still holds a special place in my heart for getting me back into anime. Just be prepared for its flaws.

You know the stupidest thing about this anime that I haven't really mentioned? Why the fuck is she wearing a magical chastity belt when the goal of her curse is to have sex with onii-chan? WTF is this?

So she can't ignore the ghost's request and go sex up someone else. Isn't the unlock condition falling in love with him?

There are definitely worse watchbet anime to be seen. I enjoyed this one when I went through it.

cajunator

Banned
Earth Maiden Arjuna 11

Heh, didn't realize "Modern civilization is a pile of garbage" came from this show.

Indeed, along with several other gems.

I won a dyson fan in a contest. It kind of sucks, thing is louder than a regular fan somehow lol. Novelty of it is cool though I guess.

I always wanted one of these, but they are expensive and seem kinda pointless.

We need to ask Evilore for Twitter integration.

Anitwitter is something special let me tell you.

Crest of the Stars by SHAFT.

+

You know you want it.

Fuck yeah I want that!

Twitter is basically the entire reason I vanished from AnimeGAF, in no small part because I am now too ADHD to post anything longer than a few sentences.

Twitter: not even once.

Twitter is so moe~
Also you and me gotta skype again this week.

Recently, My Sister is Unusual 05

This must be the most depraved "pool episode" I've ever seen. Imouto is scared to go into the pool but when she does the bottom half of her bikini falls off immediately. When onii-chan notices, to hide that she isn't wearing anything down there he kisses her... (what?!)

Later, someone returns imouto's missing bottoms to onii-chan while he is at school. While pondering whether imouto is crazy, he starts rubbing her pantsu all over his face without noticing everyone in his class is watching him.

This is so fucking stupid. Anime is dead.

This show was so incredibly stupid even I dropped it. I just couldnt handle it.

I can understand that viewpoint. I just kinda consider it in the same realm of the movie though. Nothing can tarnish vanilla E7 and there were a couple really great scenes in AO that got me going. CE has none of it, outside of the launch sequence.

Bought Arakawa finally.

Kinda funny that buying S1 and S2 separately costs like $8 less than buying them in that bundle. There's no difference between the two either lol

Also PSA:

Otorimonogatari (aka best girl Nadeko arc) is up for pre-orders now!

Niiiice
the only NISA set I want on that list (that I dont have) is Zakuro. for obvious reasons.

Heh. People thought that chart was real for a moment? :p

You would think certain things on it would give it away but it seems to have fooled quite a few.

cajunator

Banned
Nozaki-kun - 11

What a great show, I love Sakura's VA. Can't believe shes fairly new to voice acting.

I haven't watched too many shows this season but its probably my AOTS.

Her voice is just as amazing as Natsume's voice. I thought they were the same at first even.

Recently, My Sister is Unusual 07

WTF is with these references? I burst out laughing at that.

I still dont know where the original picture is from
I see it posted here a lot but where did it originate?

I'm starting to think the whole "watchbets" thing is being used to watch reprehensible anime with the excuse he had to because it was a "watchbet".

You can always welch on the bet. Its frowned upon but understandable if the pain is too great.

As of this past May, Masao Maruyama was still struggling to have a definitive budget and support for completing it but of course assured he would make it sooner or later before dying... after all, he has said time and time again that MAPPA was created with the principal purpose of finishing The Dream Machine.

Mr. Maruyama didn't talk much specifically about the film on the more recent Otakon 2014, though. Nonetheless there is an interesting conversation in there about the further use of archived animation assets since the MADHOUSE days!

Do you mean the same new GONZO that reported ¥440 million in net income this July's shareholders meeting? Survival at its finest.

The last thing they made that I cared much about was Last Exile Fam.

This has to be the most uncomfortably wrong movie in existence.
This is completely horrible in every way.

Clov

Someone needs to make a watchbet with me one of these days in order to save everyone's faith in them. The only problem is almost everyone here has probably seen all the great shows I've seen. :(

That might not be true! For example, despite the massive amount of anime I've watched over the years, I still haven't got around to watching Samurai Champloo, Eureka Seven, and Outlaw Star. If I were less busy with school now I'd definitely take you up on it, and have you watch something great.

I still dont know where the original picture is from
I see it posted here a lot but where did it originate?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/reaction-guys-gaijin-4koma

That might not be true! For example, despite the massive amount of anime I've watched over the years, I still haven't got around to watching Samurai Champloo, Eureka Seven, and Outlaw Star. If I were less busy with school now I'd definitely take you up on it, and have you watch something great.

Nintendoman and me have set up a watchbet now.

phaze

School Days 05

untitled-1dqyzi.png
untitled-2bhbhm.png
untitled-3x4ysw.png

Ah the emotional torment that our twisted social norms hurl upon the young ones. Thankfully Makoto refuses to be yet another brick in the wall and proceeds to break away from the stale trappings of our decrepit civilisation. What an inspirational show.

Also, boobs. Lots and lots of them

Link Man

Banned
Don't scare the children.

I just started reading it, mostly because of its premise. Seeing an adult in a trapped in a fantasy world seems a nice change of pace, though maybe that's because I am an adult and am a bit tired of japanese media all being about kids so it being about adults is an automatic attractor.

Did not actually expect an actual proper reincarnation.

Have you watched/read Log Horizon?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
http://ogiuemaniax.wordpress.com/201...nime-vs-manga/

Whaaaat, Survival game club was a shoujo manga? Mind blown!

Whether animated or on paper, the basic appeal of Survival Game Club! is how it brings a type of crass humor that is rare in the demographic/genre of shoujo, and does so through subject matter that is rather unusual. The key difference between the two is that whereas the manga juxtaposes its shoujo visual style with the content and its characters’ behavior, the anime takes the roughness of the cast to the extreme and changes the designs to be more in tune with other cute-girls-doing-things shows. Personally speaking, I think I prefer the manga’s approach more because of how bizarre it looks within that shoujo aesthetic, but I do have to say that there is some appeal in Momoka’s vindictive behavior in the anime.

It's so weird, because the very first episode had a parody of Ace wo Nerae/Oniisama e... as one of its segments. So it invoked old shoujo rather than new shoujo.

That said, if this show basically went down the route of Nozaki-kun by using shoujo aesthetics as a method of diverting expectations, it might have been something special. I can understand the complaint that it looks like any other moeblob show at the very least.

But yes, Momoka is perfectly balanced. Even she agrees with that. lol

I'm starting to think the whole "watchbets" thing is being used to watch reprehensible anime with the excuse he had to because it was a "watchbet".
I wanted Mike to watch SAO and he gave me shows I had never heard of. I accepted without researching either.

Gundam AGE.

:p

...Okay okay. I'm actually watching Steins; Gate for him to watch TTGL. Will begin after I finish Strike Witches and War in the Pocket.
Having seen both of these this is a good trade. Hey Mike, remember when we traded good shows?... I don't.

I only trade bad shows with phoenix :p
:(

Id watchbet someone, but it typically takes me over a month to watch a 2 cour.

It takes me a month to finish a 1 cour. Maybe it's because I need to savour these horrible shows be dragging them out as long as possible.

TUSR

Banned
It takes me a month to finish a 1 cour. Maybe it's because I need to savour these horrible shows be dragging them out as long as possible.

with the hockey season starting, ill only be watching that new Trigger and KyoAni fall shows. should last me until the end of the year since im still watching K-On!!

ryan miller is a canuck, i thought you hated the canucks

Is the Order a Rabbit? 12

And the service ends with people getting interviewed and people getting sick.

It's a cute show, but it's not really that funny. I watch these for the comedy and only episode 7 was any funny. The rest of the episodes ranged from slightly amusing to boring.

What else is there then? The characters. The only slightly interesting character was Chino, but there's a similar characters in both good shows (like Non Non Biyori) and less good shows (like No Game, No Life) I've seen. Sharo seems to have a slight lisp sometimes, but other than that there's nothing really special here.

It looks ok at least. Reminds me a lot of Kiniro Mosaic, another Manga Time Kirara Max show that's much better. Same with the OP and ED, similar to what they did with Kiniro Mosaic. So I guess I'm saying that I recommend watching Kiniro Mosaic or wait for S2 of that instead of watching this one :p

Pretty boring and no characters I can say I like, so 1.5/5 rabbits:
u1sJrPm.png
htpUewR.png
p30uEZP.png
p30uEZP.png
p30uEZP.png

with the hockey season starting, ill only be watching that new Trigger and KyoAni fall shows. should last me until the end of the year since im still watching K-On!!

ryan miller is a canuck, i thought you hated the canucks
Canucks suck! But they're the only team I watch when hockey is on so what can you do.

I wanted Mike to watch SAO and he gave me shows I had never heard of. I accepted without researching either.

Having seen both of these this is a good trade. Hey Mike, remember when we traded good shows?... I don't.

And you thought SAO was bad, eh? I showed you worse :p

u1sJrPm.png
htpUewR.png
p30uEZP.png
p30uEZP.png
p30uEZP.png

I largely agree with this. It just doesn't go anywhere. Tippy is underutilized and barely explained. All the characters are just varying degrees of idiots. It has its cute moments, but surrounded by dull nonsense. I'd agree Kiniro Mosaic does it better, but even then I didn't think much of that show either.

And the service ends with people getting interviewed and people getting sick.

It's a cute show, but it's not really that funny. I watch these for the comedy and only episode 7 was any funny. The rest of the episodes ranged from slightly amusing to boring.

What else is there then? The characters. The only slightly interesting character was Chino, but there's a similar characters in both good shows (like Non Non Biyori) and less good shows (like No Game, No Life) I've seen. Sharo seems to have a slight lisp sometimes, but other than that there's nothing really special here.

It looks ok at least. Reminds me a lot of Kiniro Mosaic, another Manga Time Kirara Max show that's much better. Same with the OP and ED, similar to what they did with Kiniro Mosaic. So I guess I'm saying that I recommend watching Kiniro Mosaic or wait for S2 of that instead of watching this one :p

u1sJrPm.png
htpUewR.png
p30uEZP.png
p30uEZP.png
p30uEZP.png

Kinda fell flat for me too...pretty much agreed with you here.

Engaged to the Unidentified 01

Kobeni just turned 16 and already got an arranged marriage waiting, eh?

And both the fiancé and his little sister moves in as well. Doesn't help that Kobeni's older sister seems to be a pervert who likes younger girls either :p

And both the fiancé and his little sister moves in as well. Doesn't help that Kobeni's older sister seems to be a pervert who likes younger girls either :p

Looking forward to seeing more impressions...particularly where Benio is concerned ;).

TUSR

Banned

Kobeni is just the greatest. Im not biased at all here.

Looking forward to seeing more impressions...particularly where Benio is concerned ;).

Why is Ui so jacked in your avatar?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
She exchanged her keki for protein shakes.

I largely agree with this. It just doesn't go anywhere. Tippy is underutilized and barely explained. All the characters are just varying degrees of idiots. It has its cute moments, but surrounded by dull nonsense. I'd agree Kiniro Mosaic does it better, but even then I didn't think much of that show either.

I enjoyed the humor in Kiniro Mosaic. It has no real standout character either, but since it was so funny I though it was really good.

Wait, you haven't watched this yet?

Engaged to the Unidentified 02

Aliens everywhere!

Poor fiancé Hakuya never gets to finish his stick building and big sister Benio is good at everything. And we learn that Kobeni was involved in some kind of accident in the past.

rrvv

Mushishi 1-13

GAF I have a problem.

well let's thanks about the show first. obvious comparison will be with Kino Journey. basically both of them exploring "the world" while try to find interesting person/place that reflect with IRL issue.

Kino dealing with world idea/philosophy while Mushishi deal with human personality and emotion.

on plus side. Mushishi is beautiful series full different people and thing. there is nothing glaringly bad about the direction

Yet I cannot get my self excited when I am watching this anime. I really enjoy Kino Journey since it explore many interesting idea that seem good in first place but at same time harsh reality of the idea. While Mushishi idea seem explore stuff that already been explore by other anime like "moving on" and "sacrifice one for benefit of many". Eventhought Mushishi usually handle it better than other anime. It didn't really offer anything new to the theme. Also while Kino story can sometimes have interesting twist. Mushishi story is largely predictable which make it less interesting for me.

I dont know. Did I watch it i wrong way or Mushishi simply is not my taste.
or I am simply horrible human being

I will certainly finished it. thought I hold it for now

Midonin

Soukou no Strain 02-04

Sara's life kinda sucks. I've never read A Little Princess - and that is how Mark Twain defines a classic, something that everybody's heard of but nobody's read - but my research tells me that the basic setup is the same, only the risk of death is much more pronounced in this version. Setting the first major battle in that sub-lightspeed zone is a good way to save on the budget, I'm sure. As of right now, the two engineers are my favorite characters. They have something of a good rapport with Sara. Do want to know what the deal with Emily is, too. Alright, so far.

Momo Kyun Sword 11

If Momoko was on the Den-O/Kuuga model, this is the part where she achieves Ultimate/Climax Form. I've been waiting for this one for some time. The episode was about what I'd expect from a "charging the castle" kind of episode, with everybody playing a part and the party slowly diminishing until only Momo remains. I do see the point Jakiou has - the heavens are the rulers of all, but that doesn't mean they're prefect. (Though in their defense, people like Youki aren't exactly doing the Oni's reputations any favors.) I await the finale and hope to see Onihime do something to turn the tide of battle. She's free to do whatever she wants. So why not become a hero?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom