• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ranma 1/2 39

I decided "what the hell?" and watched another episode of this show after being concerned that Happosai had ruined it for good. Romeo & Juliet episode was great.

only episodes that prominently feature Happosai are ruined, otherwise it can still be fun

anyway watch Urusei Yatsura instead as the superior Rumiko Takahashi adaption

Quasar

Hmm. A third SAO book series, this one a GGO one featuring brand new characters and written by Keiichi Sigsawa. That's kind of unexpected.

Syrinx

only episodes that prominently feature Happosai are ruined, otherwise it can still be fun

Yeah I still need to get to that. Especially since Hito spoke so highly of it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Just remember it's really the second season where it takes off, well worth the somewhat average first season

Yeah Hito was the one who showed the me the light as well

Quasar

Okay, someone's going to have to just explain whatever it is I'm missing from Glasslip, since I've watched it a couple times now and still can't figure out how it fits into the overall story.

I was a bit lost from my one viewing. It seemed like she had this vision of an alternate timeline whilst she was sitting with Kakeru enjoying his mothers performance.

For a second I actually thought it was going to pull back and the world was going to be a snow globe.

zulux21

I tried watching that after I got bored of ranma after 4 seasons (heck I am trying to read the manga and keep finding myself distracted ><:) but I only managed to get a few eps in before I got bored of Urusei Yatsura... I don't recall liking Lum as a character very much (and 195 eps when you aren't really getting into a show is a bit intimidating). So instead I decided to try to give Maison Ikkoku a try... and man that was a way easier watch.. started off a little slow but was an overall enjoyable watch. I wish they would rerelease Maison Ikkoku so much... as I don't want to pay $500+ for an anime series ><:

Mature

I picked it up on Hito and Madp's very strong recommendations. Very, very strongly recommended. I'm around episode 70 now and I can feel myself not watching it as much because I want to savor it. I need to get that cel framed...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I picked it up on Hito and Madp's very strong recommendations. Very, very strongly recommended. I'm around episode 70 now and I can feel myself not watching it as much because I want to savor it. I need to get that cel framed...

Don't forget to watch Beautiful Dreamer as well!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I'm aware of the criticism the game has gotten, but I also know it's popular for a good reason.

It is good. Other than the intro and Orochi fight that is. The sense of progression is great, the art is fabulous with a style like old japanese drawing, the sub quest is funny. Fun game all around.

Clov

Since we're talking about Kamiya games, how was W101? Somebody described it like TTGL: The Game and I'm wondering if that's true.

It basically is. Really fun game, but very complicated to play. It can be frustrating at times. Drawing the hammer shape was very difficult for me for some reason. It's worth a shot; I think there's a demo on the eShop if you want to try it out.

How's Psycho Pass?

I liked it, but I recognize that it's kind of Schlocky. Don't be fooled by people telling you it's like GitS because it's nowhere near as smart as that show. But if you can watch stuff like Starship Troopers and enjoy it despite knowing that it's pretty stupid then go right ahead and watch it. The hour long eps they are airing this season are really great for experiencing it the first time.

duckroll

I'm going to laugh really hard if even more Yozakura staff show up in Psycho-Pass 2. Maybe Shingo Yamashita can do the OP. Lol.

kinger256

Tokyo Ghoul 12

The best part of the manga and this episode captured the psychological parts of it beautifully. I'd say it was as one of the best episodes of all this season though I didn't care too much about the fighting at the end. Too bad studio pierrot half-assed everything else about the series, hence forcing people to go through 11 terrible episodes to watch the only good episode.

Another problem I saw, was that the series ending at this point was fucking stupid. Not even an attempt at resolving anything. Nothing at all. Just fucking ends right there. But no worries. Years of terrible unresolved anime endings have conditioned me for this so doesn't bother me anymore.

duckroll

Which other members of the staff got swapped out for S2? Or is this just based on staff listings for the first episodes.

It's not even the same studio, so pretty much everyone other than Shiotani, Asano, and Kanno have been replaced. The "series director" is Kiyotaka Suzuki, who was assistant director on Hana no Uta. Akira Takata, who also worked on Hana no Uta and is working on Durarara S2 now, is working with Asano as chief animation directors. The art director and 3D director are different too. I can't remember who they are off hand, but the art director worked on Coppelion and the 3D director is some Tatsunoko guy. Tow Ubukata is doing series composition and Jun Kumagai is working on the scripts this time. Chance of good writing is very low!

Branduil

Record of Lodoss War 7
iEDsxG340XLg1.jpg
iCSkJxPlOdBF8.jpg

izLQfiUv5Nlhv.jpg
ikPp91IN1XMH5.jpg

ibvMNeymfDeWeG.jpg
iTwS7GBxuP2aV.jpg

Manliest sword fight of all time.
As well as the one with the most blatantly rigged results.

Really good episode. When a show realizes what it is, but still takes itself seriously, you can even accept obvious tropes like the guy talking about his family before the big battle.

Theonik

I want to buy one of these masks.

The K-On London tour video offer is still on the table.
Me too.
I'm game.

I understand that they need to have a minimum funding amount on PSN due to credit card fees or somesuch, but it's still annoying as hell for the consumer. I have $5 in credit from some promotion a while back, but to buy Okami HD I need to add $5 more. So what the hell am I going to do with that extra $3 I'm being forced to pay? I buy things from PSN so rarely that there's no point in just letting it sit around. Only thing I can think of is the Diva F costume set, since at least those'll get imported into F 2nd free of charge.

And even then it's leaving exactly two cents in limbo in my PSN wallet.
Isn't the minimum funding $5? If you choose to pay with a card it will only fund the amount you need as long as it is $5 or more.

Articalys

Isn't the minimum funding $5? If you choose to pay with a card it will only fund the amount you need as long as it is $5 or more.
It is, but since I already have $5 worth of credit sitting in my wallet, and Okami costs $7, the effective price to be paid becomes $2 from an empty wallet and I run into the funding minimum.

Eh, whatever, I'll just get the Miku characters to make the most of it. It's only a $3 difference after all and Okami is certainly worth the $5 out-of-pocket total.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
dimb has an Ice Climbers avatar?

You simply must visit SmashGAF more often.
It moves too fast. I don't really have much to say about the game before it comes out, and I'm kind of down on the 3DS version. Maybe after the Wii U version comes out.

Link Man

Banned
Revolutionary Girl Utena 3

Wow, they should really call this "Everybody Hates Anthy", might be more accurate.

So, the Student Council President's sister is a brocon. Yipee.

And Utena can magically make immediate togas out of tablecloths. With rose-shaped accents.

This seems like a cost-cutting episode all around.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Revolutionary Girl Utena 3

Wow, they should really call this "Everybody Hates Anthy", might be more accurate.
Like nearly everyone in the show is all about Anthy. She's pretty much the worst though.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Terror in Resonance 10
The last 5 minutes is a mess. I feel like there should be additional 2-3 minutes scene to make the transition better. Dammit.
The music still top notch though.

Thoraxes

Since we're talking about Kamiya games, how was W101? Somebody described it like TTGL: The Game and I'm wondering if that's true.

The ending really gets to that same level of hype that TTGL manages to achieve. I sat down to do the last half of the game and just couldn't put down my controller.

Also TW101 is just so mechanically sound and the combos are so much fun to pull off. For some reason a lot of people have trouble with the controls, but like all character action games you get used to them pretty quickly.

In terms of presentation and scale, it's pretty similar just like all of Kamiya's recent output.

The game is pretty great, being among the most varied straight action games in existence, but there's a bit of a learning curve. When you understand what you're doing, it's damn fun.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
AnimeGAF London meetup? Sure, why not. :p
No one else from AnimeGAF goes to the London meetups. :(

But the K-On London Tour offer was a deal I put forward proposing that if anyone sent me a full body costume for a K-On character I'd record myself going around to all the spots in London featured in the K-On movie.

P.S. There's another one after Eurogamer on the Saturday for all zero of you that care.

phaze

+ 1 Durarara is lots of fun.

Tokyo Ghoul 12

congratulationsvuk09.gif

Thankfully Pierrot saved the budget for this one, the execution was impeccable. Great episode,the best of the show, Though I wish now they didn't spoil that moment in the opening. I did expect to see more of Doves and Anteiku but now that I think of it, it would only break the flow of this episode. I would have liked still more graphic depiction of the torture and I don't think the OP song meshed well with the combat but I can't really nitpick anything else. Good stuff. I hope it will get another season.

Rize for the best motivational speaker of 2014. Really liked how she ripped into Kaneki's mother.

Also it was hilarious to see them end it the same way they ended the first episode.

No one else from AnimeGAF goes to the London meetups. :(

But the K-On London Tour offer was a deal I put forward proposing that if anyone sent me a full body costume for a K-On character I'd record myself going around to all the spots in London featured in the K-On movie.

Full body costume, like animegao?

The people calling it TTGL The Game were correct. Out of every Kamiya game it's probably to one with the most depth to it. I recommend watching Saur's breakdown of the game and its mechanics to truly be able to understand and appreciate them more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So thanks to the help I got from some people and just a little trial and error, I made a test video to see if I could actually edit together a piece. It's pretty bare bones, but I don't think I'll ever learn to mess with effects and whatnot. lol

Anyway, this is basically a video version of one of my readings of Sabagebu 11's jokes. Let me know if this works in terms of conveying the information and, well, as an edited video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9mN3V2_Y0k

(And god, it takes more effort to do this than to just write the damn thing. lol)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Crest of the Stars Episode 5:

War were declared and it would have look a whole lot better had they not used that shitty semi-transparency effect to signify being engaged in a spacetime warp. That being said, this does pick up the pace somewhat, but I think it really is in love with overlong character building sequences.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Tokyo Ghoul - 12

You turn around for one second and the guy you've been spending the last couple of days with suddenly has white hair and you don't even question it? You don't bat an eyelid, you don't even pause for one moment. I know you're off your rocker but even the maddest of hatters would question how someone could dye their hair that quickly.

cajunator

Banned
how much are you willing to spend for a stick?

Hori has this for $40 but it's tiny
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6LHQVU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ill spend more for one but I want something with customizeable background. So I can take like an anime waifu or something and put it on the controller face.

Engaged to the Unidentified 12

Hakuya saves Kobeni again, and everything ends well.

The show starts out pretty funny, but towards the middle it starts to get a bit boring though. The jokes are repeated a lot and the two episodes that mainly focus on the student council secretary isn't that interesting. Luckily it gets better again and it got a nice ending.

I like Kobeni and the relationship she got with Hakuya. Mashiro got a voice that I really don't like at all, but at least the character isn't the usual little sister that doesn't want the main characters to be together.

But then there's Benio... She's just annoying with the little sister stuff and not that funny. Konoha is almost just as bad. Mayura reminds me a lot of Manami from Oreimo, kinda bland, but at least not annoying :p

The OP song is quite good, but why did they put all those suggestive still images in there? Doesn't fit with the rest of the show.

So, some good and some bad. I thought the good outweighed the bad and there were enough funny and nice romantic stuff that I'll give it 3.5/5 Kobeni:
td1VScA.png
td1VScA.png
td1VScA.png
f6C101H.png
9k64bzt.png

After seeing your impressions I am quite relieved that you ranked this one somewhat highly. The power of Kobeni right there. Unfortunately you didnt like Mashiro too much. I though she was so adorable.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul - 12

You turn around for one second and the guy you've been spending the last couple of days with suddenly has white hair and you don't even question it? You don't bat an eyelid, you don't even pause for one moment. I know you're off your rocker but even the maddest of hatters would question how someone could dye their hair that quickly.

^ Kaneki is so badass now that he even changed his shirt and trousers in a fraction of a second. All while being still chained up to that chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom