• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

So anything worth watching this season animeGAF?

From the season that's wrapping up? JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Space Dandy, Haikyuu and Shounen Hollywood are all worth watching depending on what you're looking for.
For the upcoming season, both Gundam shows (Build Fighters Try and G no Reconguista) seem like they'll be worth checking out. Parasyte looks like a potentially amazing horror show if it isn't marred by TV censorship. And there isn't much else other than that.

Jarmel

Banned
The people calling it TTGL The Game were correct. Out of every Kamiya game it's probably to one with the most depth to it. I recommend watching Saur's breakdown of the game and its mechanics to truly be able to understand and appreciate them more.

In terms of presentation and scale, it's pretty similar just like all of Kamiya's recent output.

The game is pretty great, being among the most varied straight action games in existence, but there's a bit of a learning curve. When you understand what you're doing, it's damn fun.

The ending really gets to that same level of hype that TTGL manages to achieve. I sat down to do the last half of the game and just couldn't put down my controller.

Also TW101 is just so mechanically sound and the combos are so much fun to pull off. For some reason a lot of people have trouble with the controls, but like all character action games you get used to them pretty quickly.

It basically is. Really fun game, but very complicated to play. It can be frustrating at times. Drawing the hammer shape was very difficult for me for some reason. It's worth a shot; I think there's a demo on the eShop if you want to try it out.

last legit great game kamiya made since resident evil 2 & devil may cry

Thanks. I'm probably pick it up in the next month or so.

cheezcake

Hmm none of that seems up my alley but I guess I might try something new and give Barakamon a shot, cheers for the recommendations

Also might pickup a netflix series, what's the opinion on:

Psycho Pass (2012)
Welcome to the NHK
GITS: Arise

Psycho Pass Edit Episode 11 [end]

Probably the definitive version of Psycho Pass to watch and most worthwhile as in sum all the added minor scenes really gave more life to many of the characters and actually worked well to better establish the tone and premise of characters or even their motives at times. For my 4th time through the series, this was the best version.

Kind of wish the ending had
akane become the head of the department or such

Articalys

Ill spend more for one but I want something with customizeable background. So I can take like an anime waifu or something and put it on the controller face.
Trying to waifu-ize an arcade stick is certainly lower on my list of priorities.

Actually, is the Hori mini-stick also PC compatible? Would it work with Steam games too?

D-Fragments 01

wjDmLDD.jpg

Ah, yes. The old problem that all clubs in anime has to deal with. Luckily there's a delinquent they can kidnap and force to make a club member! All while showing off their various attack types.

Hmm none of that seems up my alley but I guess I might try something new and give Barakamon a shot, cheers for the recommendations

Also might pickup a netflix series, what's the opinion on:

Psycho Pass (2012)
Welcome to the NHK
GITS: Arise

Psycho Pass is decent but plagued with some bad animation and sometimes tries too hard to sound smart.

NHK isn't for everyone but I liked it. The anime deals with the hikikomori problem in Japan.

Haven't seen GITS so I can't comment.

Tokyo Ghoul - 12
So since Jason was the big boss and curbstomped pretty much everyone he faced, is Kaneki one of the absolute strongest Ghouls around now? He went from Charmander directly to Charizard in this evolution

I hope he doesnt go back to mr nice guy and chose to activate white hair power when necessary. I want Rize slowly indoctrinating him, making him turn on his friends
Last episode eh, hopefully there will be more.

3/5 Ghouls - this adaption deserved more work, atleast 24 episodes with less rush and no censoring would probably make this a 4.5/5

I've always wondered. If I don't care about MMOsat all would I enjoy shows like log horizon?

During the first half or so the anime goes really in depth explaining the mechanics of the game. Later it becomes more about political games. Basically the players need some type of order if they're going to continue living in this new world so they establish some form of government and start writing their own laws that don't necessarily conform to the game's rules. NPCs have also become self aware so the players have to find some way to coexist with them peacefully. If you enjoy that type of story you might like Log Horizon.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How do you feel about databases?

I'm learning how to code them right now!

During the first half or so the anime goes really in depth explaining the mechanics of the game. Later it becomes more about political games. Basically the players need some type of order if they're going to continue living in this new world so they establish some form of government and start writing their own laws that don't necessarily conform to the game's rules. NPCs have also become self aware so the players have to find some way to coexist with them peacefully. If you enjoy that type of story you might like Log Horizon.

Alright, the first part sounds boring to me but the second part seems intriguing. Might give it a shot.

D-Fragments 02

Sudden appearance by Robocop.

A rival club appears, and it's all fun and game clubs until somebody gets arrested. Some club backstory, a challenge gets accepted and we learn how the manga the show is based on got made as well.

Fate/Zero 3-5

So I'm gonna be out of it for a while due to me getting my wisdom teeth out. In the mean time I'll just put Strike Witches 2 and War in the pocket on hold for now and attempt to get through what I've been meaning to get through for a while now. At least Season 1, if anything. (Don't worry Mikehattsu, I'll get to Steins;Gate after I finish this and War in the Pocket.)

But with that being said, not much to say for these past 3 episodes but Rider > Everyone else. Though Saber and Archer are kinda cool too.

ZnT 9

I forgot to mention in the past episode, the ferris wheel scene was very well directed and with a good tone, though in my opinion it fails at the base, as they acted as if there was something between Twuelve and the girl. If that's the case, the previous episodes failed hard. They had a few scenes together, but nothing as for him to betray Nine.

Zankyou no Terror 10

Hah hah hah. Heh heh. BWAH-HAH-HAHAAH!

BURN EVERYTHING TO THE GROUND!

PSC1111_H2_100.jpg

ibyea

Banned
ZnT 9

I forgot to mention in the past episode, the ferris wheel scene was very well directed and with a good tone, though in my opinion it fails at the base, as they acted as if there was something between Twuelve and the girl. If that's the case, the previous episodes failed hard. They had a few scenes together, but nothing as for him to betray Nine.

Zankyou no Terror 10

Hah hah hah. Heh heh. BWAH-HAH-HAHAAH!

BURN EVERYTHING TO THE GROUND!

PSC1111_H2_100.jpg

Is that a good or bad impression of episode 10?

JoeFu

Banned
Wow Tokyo Ghoul episode 12 was amazing. What the heck. Why couldn't the whole show be this good? Time to read manga I guess.

The censorship for the show is so crazy, like 80% of the screen is black. Wonder what it would look like without it.

cajunator

Banned
Earth Maiden Arjuna 12

Famine, disease, parents dying in front of children, children being deathly ill, the end of civilization as we know it, and yet still the most pleasant thing I've watched tonight.

Really sorry you had to watch your team like that. That was terrible.

Earth Maiden Arjuna 13

I am Josh McCown. And Josh McCown is me.

*blows brains out*

*hugs

Sword Art Online II - 10

ibabT3ZtI2l3NA.jpg

This show has successfully ruined Shinon and it can go to hell.

Since we're talking about Kamiya games, how was W101? Somebody described it like TTGL: The Game and I'm wondering if that's true.

Uraizen seems to really love it. Apparently the controls are pretty interesting and very fast and fluid. Its also popular on Gaf as well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Locodol - 12 (End?)

Local councils, lesbians, lewdness and locodols. That about sums it up.

I'd say it is one of the better idol shows, but still iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia is king queen!

The final song was pretty good, but considering it was the one idolesque song in the whole show it would have been rather disappointing if they failed with this one vital aspect.

Since it focuses on the formation of an idol group and the steps they have to take to reach stardom, it's rather similar to Wake Up Girls in that regard. However, since Locodol keeps the plot simple and keeps a feel good feel throughout it is much more successful. Wake Up Girls technically has a much more interesting premise, but because it fails to keep with it after the first handful of episodes it ends up much more disappointing. You can't really be disappointed in Locodol, if you enjoyed the first episode you're likely enjoy the rest as it's pretty much the same thing throughout. Funnily enough, even the endings of the two shows are also quite similar and just as predictable. Well I say ending, despite this apparently being the final episode, there's a 13th episode mentioned in the preview. So I'm guessing BD special or someone somewhere cocked things up when they said this was a 12 episode show.

Negative marks for the whole "oh no I'm fat, but in reality not" schtick. Then again I don't suspect teenage girls are the target audience for this show so maybe they don't have to worry about encouraging negative body image stigmas. Oh and the eye catches (which is where the lewdness comes in) were rather unnecessary since the rest of the show didn't really have that tone.

Still, I know what I'm going to be suggesting to my local council tomorrow.

PK Gaming

The Nagarekawa Girls got robbed

Re: Locodol Yuri

I think it stopped being subtext around the halfway point and it straight up become text. I wonder if it was like this in the manga.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think there's one more episode bgbw. I mean there was a next episode preview.
That's why I have the question mark. Places like MAL and Hummingbird list it as having 12 episodes so this 13th episode is a bit of a mystery.

Midonin

Soukou no Strain 11-13 + Final Thoughts

Sara had a goal set out at the start of the show, and she accomplished it with a minimal amount of fuss. My exposure to mecha series is probably not as great as other genres, but this was overall average. Slightly harder sci-fi than I'm used to, and adapting classic children's literature into a space story does offer up some interesting ideas about how text is interpreted. I liked seeing a mecha series with a female protagonist (though Lagrange is still my favorite), and it gives me a good point of comparison for when Cross Ange begins.

Now, the next show on my backlog is one I've been wanting to check out for a long time.

That's why I have the question mark. Places like MAL and Hummingbird list it as having 12 episodes so this 13th episode is a bit of a mystery.
I know it's a BD bonus episode, but I'm not sure if it's actually airing on TV or not.

JoeFu

Banned

I forgot there was an OVA announced and that the awa² girls were supposed to be in it. So I'm guessing it's for the OVA :(

I know it's a BD bonus episode, but I'm not sure if it's actually airing on TV or not.

That's what I assumed, but it's rather odd to give it an episode preview. Usually OVAs don't get one.

I forgot there was an OVA announced and that the awa² girls were supposed to be in it. So I'm guessing it's for the OVA :(

OVA ad, yes. Airing on TV, no. (TBS's listings are up for next Thursday and it's not airing)

Fate/Zero - 6-7

I love how since Caster and his JYB-voiced Master (yes I'm watching the dub) are essentially breaking all the rules by doing whatever the hell they want
(and by that I mean kidnapping and murdering innocent children, the assholes)
. The overseer essentially has to get the other Servants and Masters to team up and get rid of them.

Makes for a nice unexpected turn, seeing how these people are supposed to be fighting against each-other and not working together. Although only Saber and Lancer have shown up, I expect Rider and Archer to join the fray fairly soon and kick some ass.

zulux21

So I got around to looking at the new season of anime in depth. Aside from returning shows psycho pass and fate stay night, the following new comers have at least some of my attention (aka I will for sure be checking them out)

Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo
Akatsuki no Yona
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Donten ni Warau
Amagi Brilliant Park
Magic Kaito 1412 (debateable if it is a new comer as it has had 12 special eps already but w/e :p)
Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji
Nanatsu no Taizai
Trinity Seven
Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu
Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu.
Madan no Ou to Vanadis

with from the new comers I expect
Donten ni Warau
Akatsuki no Yona
Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu
Trinity Seven
Nanatsu no Taizai

to be the five anime I enjoy the most.

There are a couple other shows such as terra formars and world trigger that I have some interest in and might check out, but with the american tv season starting up as well I might not have time.

Overall the season doesn't really seem to have much in the way of shows that scream they should be good, but there are quite a few shows that should be watchable which is good because I am losing almost all of my currently airing shows I am watching in the next two weeks ><;

Tokyo Ghoul - 12
So since Jason was the big boss and curbstomped pretty much everyone he faced, is Kaneki one of the absolute strongest Ghouls around now? He went from Charmander directly to Charizard in this evolution

I hope he doesnt go back to mr nice guy and chose to activate white hair power when necessary. I want Rize slowly indoctrinating him, making him turn on his friends
Last episode eh, hopefully there will be more.

3/5 Ghouls - this adaption deserved more work, atleast 24 episodes with less rush and no censoring would probably make this a 4.5/5

No there are far more stronger opponents than Kaneki. Also the white hair is due to extreme stress that he endured through for those 10 days of torture. So it really isn't a powerup. Trust me if this adaption had been adapted faithfully it would of been a 5/5. Since the source material is excellent.

santeesioux

Yesterday Persona 4 was delayed like 12 hours on CR, and today INVADERS of the ROKUJYOMA is delayed. I hope delays aren't going to be a problem again. Not that long of a delay, so not a big deal though.

rrvv

Hanamaru Kindergarten 04-12 [END]

probably one of the cutest anime i seen. the love story is there but mostly sideline stuff and never really take it too seriously. nice to see Sakura love story. but clearly Tsuchi will have hard time.

toddler in here surely grown up so fast.

I really want to watch more anime but some reason I dont really have time ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom