• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

santeesioux

Any of you think Baby Steps will get a second series. What happens from this point on I really want to see having been a manga reader of it.

I hope so, it's not an amazing show by any means, but it's more entertaining to me than Ace of the Diamond in terms of sports shows at this point, and that's going to get at least 70 episodes i think.

/XX/

Blue Blazes - 1-5
People should watch this.
I want to imagine that people are waiting for the 'director's cut' version Ignis mentioned at /m/ that their group would translate and make a batch of; it will include the five new episodes Yūichi Fukuda said was working on, plus their translation of the amazing trivia collection about this 'dorama' production from Type-R's blog (http://blog.livedoor.jp/thx_2005/tag/アオイホノオ) and also of the 'real' era recollections from Toshio Okada published on his column in the series' official website (http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/aoihonoo/special/blog/index.html).

zulux21

Any of you think Baby Steps will get a second series. What happens from this point on I really want to see having been a manga reader of it.

It has a chance, but I wouldn't count on it. I mean Haikyuu!! even has video games coming out for it and it hasn't been confirmed for a second season yet.

Either way I figure we will find out next week. It could end up going the Major route (multiple 24-26 episode seasons which allows the manga to continue to come out and removes any need for any sort of filler) I haven't a clue how popular it is in japan, it just doesn't seem like it's that popular as it's rarely brought up in anything i see unlike Haikyuu!!.

G Gundam: 46-47

While I doubt that any fight left in this show will top the one from episode 45, I'll still be super happy to get my all-important Super Robot tag team climatic finale!

So bring on the final opponent! GUNDAM FIGHT! READY....GO!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Assuming it's adapting the circus arc accurately, then I'll say.

Maybe I should give the adaptation a watch. The circus arc is definitely the best arc, after that it gets a little... goofy.

The recent one was more of a return to form though. The series is at its best when it's exploring the relationship between ciel and Sebastian.

Nozaki-kun 11
another awesome episode
trolling Nozaki lol
BMjyIKQ.png

G Gundam: 46-47

While I doubt that any fight left in this show will top the one from episode 45, I'll still be super happy to get my all-important Super Robot tag team climatic finale!

So bring on the final opponent! GUNDAM FIGHT! READY....GO!

The last few episodes exist so it can bring closure to Domon and Rain's relationship.
And to give Ulube a purpose in the show.

Nozaki-kun 11

Oh Chiyo will Nozaki ever return your feelings or even realize you have feelings for him? Either way, Chiyo episodes are the best episodes and this was pretty great.

CorvoSol

Corvo is lying, nothing tops G Gundam 45.

No way man,
Erupting God Finger Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken is an amazing finale. The last ten minutes of the final episode are just fucking amazing.

But don't ever let that seem like I seek to diminish how incredible episode 45 is. Because episode 45 is glorious stuff.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nozaki is as dense as a neutron star so he will never notice Chiyo's advances but it surely is fun to watch her try!

Thing is she isn't really making the advances, it's nozaki setting her up for disappointment, or to further fuel her (and the shippers') delusions. :p

Now I'm really wondering what your final opinion on ZZ will be.

Your feed's making it seem like something he would enjoy. As an outsider, there's something about the most extreme end of Tomino's brand of craziness and over exaggeration that I can see a certain audience getting behind. I think I fit that audience too.

And now I'm making it harder to not want to join in on this when I haven't seen anything Gundam leading up to ZZ. At least there's possibly G-Reco to look forward to.

CorvoSol

Now I'm really wondering what your final opinion on ZZ will be.

The reasons Narag outlines are exactly the reason ZZ is my favorite UC Gundam show. Because I sort of love whenever Gundam is so completely willing to throw off the shackles of MSG-Zeta that hold basically the entire franchise in their creative thrall.

Jarmel

Banned
SAO 2- 11

Why the fuck doesn't Kirito log out and call the police?

Why is the anime recapping stuff as if the player hasn't seen this stuff?

Why is the male gaze so god damn heavy this episode? Good lord at those camera angles. Did Trigger animate this episode?

Black Butler - Book of Circus 4

This really did get dark. The "dreamland" scene was chilling, with the sharp visual contrast between reality and fantasy quite well done. I question some of the abrupt musical transitions, and it felt a bit awkward to go from "dreamland" to the more light-hearted breakfast scene, but overall I'm quite intrigued (and half dreading) to see where this is going.

G Gundam - 49 END

No words. No other emotions.

Just pure. Perfect. Love.

This was as perfect as an ending I could get, and I asked for nothing more.

EVERYBODY WATCH THIS SHOW RIGHT NOW.

fertygo

Kiroshitsuji - Book of Circus - 09

Jebus,
they actually burn the kids too?
These guy ain't no batman

Btw I think Hossana won't like this lol, he better served with the first and second season.

Thoraxes

Dunno if this missed yesterday or anything (or if anyone but me and cajun are buying the releases), but Otorimonogatari got a release date too! Oct. 28th. Pre-orders are up tomorrow.

Ryuuroden

It has a chance, but I wouldn't count on it. I mean Haikyuu!! even has video games coming out for it and it hasn't been confirmed for a second season yet.

Either way I figure we will find out next week. It could end up going the Major route (multiple 24-26 episode seasons which allows the manga to continue to come out and removes any need for any sort of filler) I haven't a clue how popular it is in japan, it just doesn't seem like it's that popular as it's rarely brought up in anything i see unlike Haikyuu!!.

Well unlike Haikyuu, Baby Steps has been coming out for like 6+ years so there's still lots of material out there. Haikyuu has only been coming out since 2012.

fertygo

Why do you say that? I'm watching Circus because this is the season that I've actually heard good things about.

From what I get from your impression you liking the funky nature of the show mixed with some dark shoujo nature, I think the 2nd half of Book of Circus is when the author want to put emphasis to something else and different.. its kind of progression that you would expect if following the franchise but its a not good introduction IMO.

Eh people actually talking bad about first two season?
The production value and music is basically on same standard I thought, I seeing nothing from Books of Circus that made it stand out from other season.

sonicmj1

Kill la Kill 25

This was a great finale to the series they should have made.

Clearly, the extra months gave them some time to reflect on what they made. People have already talked at length about the unusual course of KLK's narrative, about the half-explored plot threads and themes that lie strewn across the series like an unraveled sweater. Nudist Beach changes significantly in scope, Satsuki's years of oppression at Honnouji are handwaved away as a necessary evil, character development gets rushed into flashbacks, Chekov's Gun is never fired, entire villain characters are completely forgotten. This created a lot of problems.

A single OVA episode couldn't possibly fix everything wrong with Kill la Kill's narrative, but it makes a good effort. With the entire Ragyo plotline concluded, the series can finally return to focusing on what the school represents, and how the people who run it have changed since the series began. And with plenty of production time and nothing left to save for, they can make some elaborate, excessive action sequences. The result is an ending that trades the original's empty escalation and shoehorned "clothes vs people" theme for something that caps off the growth of Satsuki and the Four Devas.

If the series had stayed fixed on the school, and given all the characters time to gradually grow in different ways, this would be the perfect ending. Instead, it doesn't quite fit, so while it might remind me once again of all the missed potential, it still makes me feel a bit better about much of what happened.

Unfortunately, there's still no Maiko, so it's total garbage.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sabagebu 11

I tend to avoid writing about comedy anime because it is incredible difficult to do without spoiling punchlines. Leaving aside spoiler philosophies aside, I just thought this week's episode was just amazing.

The Child Don
utZhqKsl.jpg

TXAigDGl.jpg

Here you have a segment where the comedy is based on a delay of expectations. The punchline isn't that the shopkeeper confuses Momoka for a crime family's daughter, even though that in itself is amusing, but Momoka's ultimate comeuppance at the end of the segment. The set up for the joke is the initial premise of the episode, where Miou wants to get her prized gun serviced, and what happens at the end when Momoka fails at her task.

Day of the Feet
j9REEKgl.jpg

This segment's punchline is based on complete misdirection. But what makes it work is that it still logically consistent within the framework of the series' mythology and fiction. With this strange Cinderella premise, where a rich man desperately wants to meet the woman who was able to walk so gracefully in a pair of heels that he offers a large cash reward on national television in order to find her, you are led to believe that it is a set up for the fact that Momoka is up to her selfish, evil tricks once again. This leads to an overwrought training arc and some weird fetishism expressed in the episode:
KQwh7zpl.jpg

But this male gaze and objectification pays off, because the segment is not really about how Momoka tries to scheme her way into winning the reward money, but how Lemon - the pervy otaku - plays into the episode. The punchline is funny because it comes out of nowhere and has nothing to do with the premise of the episode. Momoka's arc is just a big bluff until you see the pay off to the set up.

Sega should have hired these guys to make an Aliens game
bZaKWyUl.jpg

The third segment sets up a punchline that plays off of what you know about Momoka and how she would act in any situation that involves profit.

So you have a premise about the club being about to eat an expensive crab, leading to a large scale slapstick/action comedy sequence involve Platy and the Crab fending off the members of the Survival Game Club.
pMjCLGDl.jpg

The story ends with you thinking that this is a simple morality tale about respecting the wishes of friends, as the club, Platy, and the Crab find a way to resolve their differences (namely, the club's desire to eat the Crab). The punchline comes when you see how Momoka reacts when compared to the other girls in the club, in that it is amusing that she lives up to your expectations of the character.

But that's not actually the final punchline. The episode returns to the absurdity of a sentient Crab at the very end, with a scene that makes no sense in any other context except the heightened reality of the show. It's funny because the rules of the anime world suddenly clash with the rules of the "real world", and this collision between these two disparate rules leads to a killer punchline that essentially laughs at the original resolution of the segment. Momoka's final reaction is just icing on the cake, selling the punchline and reminding you of the absurdity of the cartoon logic in the episode and the show.

Comedy of Errors
There are many types of comedy of course, but this is a show that is sophisticated in how it plays with expectations. It's not just expectations of the characters, or the contexts that they find themselves in, but our expectations of the comedic structure as well. Comedy is a strange art in that it can be very easy to make someone laugh, but it is so decidedly subjective that a joke that is funny to one person might fall flat with another person. It's why even though there are probably thousands of stand-up comics in the world, there will always be someone who writes and performs a routine that is both new and exciting to watch.

I feel like anime comedy is the same way, since there are so many ways to do situational comedy. It could be the gender expectations in this season's Nozaki-kun, or the cartoon absurdity of Nichijou and Seki-kun, or even referential humour found in something like Lucky Star. While other genres seem bogged down by replication of some sort or another, whether tropes, storylines, or characters, anime comedies seem to be able to run the gamut. I knew when I watched that low-res pre-air streaming episode of the show when this season first started that I was going to love this show, and I'm glad that as we near the end, it has become one of my favourite anime comedies.

Jarmel

Banned

What dumbass on Earth installs or tries to use an alien AI system and gives it free reign? Why would they think they had a killswitch on it in the first place if they weren't the ones who built it?

Why the fuck did the AI system wait till the Livlasters showed up before taking control? They weren't a threat for a number of years.

The final boss is a goddamn cube.

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT ENOKIDO

Thoraxes

What dumbass on Earth installs or tries to use an alien AI system and gives it free reign? Why would they think they had a killswitch on it in the first place if they weren't the ones who built it?

Why the fuck did the AI system wait till the Livlasters showed up before taking control? They weren't a threat for a number of years.

The final boss is a goddamn cube.

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT ENOKIDO

Because he needed more people to have a better collection of tools obviously!

From what I get from your impression you liking the funky nature of the show mixed with some dark shoujo nature, I think the 2nd half of Book of Circus is when the author want to put emphasis to something else and different.. its kind of progression that you would expect if following the franchise but its a not good introduction IMO.

Eh people actually talking bad about first two season?
The production value and music is basically on same standard I thought, I seeing nothing from Books of Circus that made it stand out from other season.

Well, obviously I can't speak from the perspective of someone familiar with the series, but I had always had a negative impression of it until I started hearing good things about Book of Circus. The anime-original second season seems to be particularly disliked, and it has a pretty bad director.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 24
HORY SHIT
Holy crap I lost my shit at at that bro handshake between polnarff and kakkoyin, quality stuff, I dont want to wait until january :(

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Haikyu is the best non-baseball sports anime I've ever watched. Last episode was amazing in every way. Easily one of the best shows of the year.

On the opposite end Sabagebu is terrible. Honestly has gotten painful to watch, the jokes are that bad. The characters are completely uninteresting. Haven't been this bored with a comedy series in ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom