• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Butler - Book of Circus 3

LH2qELK.jpg

It's interesting that two manga/anime set in Victorian England, this and Emma: A Victorian Romance, randomly introduce an Indian prince into the mix. I suppose the authors want to add some Asian color to the locale to help capture their audience's interest, and since India was actually a British colony that's the nation that makes most sense to pull someone in from. Although it's still not very realistic to have Indian royalty show up.

Not that there's any point talking about realism with Black Butler, with its demons and reapers and supernatural goings-on. Sebastian is a highly unrealistic character, capable of impossibly fleet athleticism, but it's somewhat justified compared to most "Gary Stus" due to his position as a demon. And the absurdity of what he pulls off makes him just plain entertaining to watch. His manipulating Ciel's circus test with measly rocks was particularly enjoyable. So far the series has done a good job of balancing its humor with its darker elements; it'll be interesting to see what happens when the darker elements come more to the fore, as they promise to do in subsequent episodes. The abduction of children is a delicate matter that can't quite be treated in the same way as the villainous weapons merchant from the first episode.

Akame ga Kill! 11

The soundtrack is actually pretty damn good in this show.
Pretty decent fighting episode. I pretty much forget what happens next but it's good Chelsea and Susanoo are in now.

Sabagebu! 11

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTLEEEE
Did Maya get attacked by a facehugger twice in two back to back episodes?
Best episode in a long time. All three skits were good.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 11

Is this what it's like to see things through the DTL lens?
Next week is last episode, s2 praying starts now

Ergo Proxy - 16

What the fuck did I just watch, Jexhius did you ruse me?
I was expecting some awesome showdown/twist, but instead I got toilet seats, spaghetti, socks with holes, and what I assume was a vibrator??

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura 35

That was a pleasant little season finale. Kero's
got his powers back
and everyone grew a little closer to Yukito, because everybody wants Yukito in this show. I miss not having the Leave It To Kero segments, they were a lot of fun and showed off just how much detail CLAMP could put into these things. The final use of "Catch You Catch Me" was also pretty satisfying for a Christmas light show spectacular. It's been a long time, but I've finally reached the point where I can see the first movie.

As soon as the post office delivers it.

Jex

Ergo Proxy - 16

What the fuck did I just watch, Jexhius did you ruse me?
I was expecting some awesome showdown/twist, but instead I got toilet seats, spaghetti, socks with holes, and what I assume was a vibrator??

Ergo Proxy isn't really a show about 'awesome' things happening, although I'll admit it's quite hard to describe what the show is about.

Ergo Proxy isn't really a show about 'awesome' things happening, although I'll admit it's quite hard to describe what the show is about.

I was thinking you ment episode 16 to act as a good open ended "finisher" to the series, kinda like saying dont go past season 4 of Dexter/episode 25 of Death Note

boy was I wrong

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Black Butler - Book of Circus 3

It's interesting that two manga/anime set in Victorian England, this and Emma: A Victorian Romance, randomly introduce an Indian prince into the mix. I suppose the authors want to add some Asian color to the locale to help capture their audience's interest, and since India was actually a British colony that's the nation that makes most sense to pull someone in from. Although it's still not very realistic to have Indian royalty show up.

Not that there's any point talking about realism with Black Butler, with its demons and reapers and supernatural goings-on. Sebastian is a highly unrealistic character, capable of impossibly fleet athleticism, but it's somewhat justified compared to most "Gary Stus" due to his position as a demon. And the absurdity of what he pulls off makes him just plain entertaining to watch. His manipulating Ciel's circus test with measly rocks was particularly enjoyable. So far the series has done a good job of balancing its humor with its darker elements; it'll be interesting to see what happens when the darker elements come more to the fore, as they promise to do in subsequent episodes. The abduction of children is a delicate matter that can't quite be treated in the same way as the villainous weapons merchant from the first episode.

Fair warning. this series gets supremely dark, but I think it excels when it's at its darkest and most cynical moments.

Nozaki Kun Episode 11

The second half was the best part of the show and one of the best things animated in 2014. If only it could have taken up the entire episode instead of that silly sakura mess. Wakamatsu, Mikorin interacting so much together, Im glad it was taken to that level instead of just left off screen and unstated. Show truly shines when Nozaki gets decreased screentime.
I wouldn't say it's one of the best scenes in 2014, but the guy-talk had me giggling like a little girl. I actually wish anime would show that sorta stuff more often -- just casual, fluffy, everyday stuff related to guys. Shoujo series get that stuff a lot because so many of them take place in school, but it's usually girl-talk. I enjoyed Chiyo's paranoia in the first half too. And yeah, Nozaki could do with less screentime. He's not all that funny.

G Gundam - 42

NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Rain's father was behind it all?!? And it was all out of jealousy of all things?!?

ARGO. SAI SAICHI. THOSE TWO BETTER STILL BE ALIVE.

Oh no...next episode...GEORGE. CHIBODEE!

/XX/

We can only try to keep hope alive!
I'll be content with people just knowing of what this project was and could have been, let alone instil them any further hope of seeing it someday. :-(

Will Gainax even still exist in 2018? (In a form capable of actually producing a film.)
I would say so, and in my opinion if there is one studio that I'm convinced can survive operating in the most penniless, cheapest way with just a carcass of a crew I think that one is GAiNAX. After the painful demise of GENERAL PRODUCTS and how their (few) full-time employees passed it I'll believe any situation of actual survival coming from them. Although going over-budget soon during productions has been their staple in the past, managing their finances efficiently in lean years was as well (cue 'tax evasion incident' jokes)... the old Mr. Okada way:

"In my day, one year we would make so much money, and - ha, ha, ha - next year, very poor. One month we’d be making films [BERSERKER SCREAM] every, every, every day! But next month we wouldn’t have any work [CRY OF DESPAIR]. That’s the way it was."
http://www.gwern.net/docs/1996-animerica-conscience-otaking#page-26

Heck! I'd even say that as long as they keep fulfilling animation work contracts the hands-off way they are doing now (like, for example, when as little content production as MAGICA WARS brings they keep relying a lot on complete outsourcing to Studio Wanpack), and tapping support only in strategic partnerships on interesting new markets like the United Arab Emirates (for the Gold Ring animated project), and also conserving partial rights to lucrative merchandise unless the GroundWorks company takes more of that share from them... as long as all of this stands while being low-profile as they know maybe we will finally see fully funded one of Mr. Yamaga's more personal projects the studio presented at TAF 2013, Uru in Blue included.

G Gundam - 43

pou_7153.png

Chibodee and George are prepared to go out so hard that they pour their drinks all over their Gundams. ;_;

These characters better show themselves to be alive and come back in a heroic fashion. Please. I don't want all these characters to die. Not them. Not like this.

Firemind

Barakamon 10
Damn. Right in the feels. I'll miss this show. ;_;

SAO2 11
I like how this is turning into a cross between The Hunger Games and Criminal Minds, but sitting in a cave for a whole episode? Do something already!

Wooo subbing to this. I have to get back to my anime watching schedule. This will be my REBIRTH.

Akame Ga Kill 11
I've read the manga so this epsiode pleases me greatly. Great animation.

Ryuuroden

G Gundam - 44

;________________________;

Just curious now, how many people here who think G Gundam is best Gundam of all time also think Macross 7 is best Macross of all time. Personally I think the exact opposite for both G Gundam and Macross 7 (I rate both near bottom of their franchises) but considering all the similarities they share in epic stupid I want to know if enjoyment of one also means enjoyment of the other as well. By the way, both are series I probably would have loved at one point in time in my life but when I saw them I had already seen all the other series from their franchises so I think my bias from seeing the other series ruined anything I could get from G Gundam and Macross 7. Oh and that is not to say that regular Gundam is all good. I would rate Victory Gundam as far worse than G Gundam.

G Gundam - 45

2652000-2330410335-ilfyk.gif

You must be swift as a coursing River

BE A MAN

With all the force of a great typhoon

BE A MAN.

With all the strength of a raging fire.

Mysterious as, the dark side of, THE MOON!

10/10

CorvoSol

Just curious now, how many people here who think G Gundam is best Gundam of all time also think Macross 7 is best Macross of all time. Personally I think the exact opposite for both G Gundam and Macross 7 (I rate both near bottom of their franchises) but considering all the similarities they share in epic stupid I want to know if enjoyment of one also means enjoyment of the other as well. By the way, both are series I probably would have loved at one point in time in my life but when I saw them I had already seen all the other series from their franchises so I think my bias from seeing the other series ruined anything I could get from G Gundam and Macross 7. Oh and that is not to say that regular Gundam is all good. I would rate Victory Gundam as far worse than G Gundam.

I love G Gundam and think its the best Gundam of all time.

Macross 7? I don't know. It's definitely the wackiest Macross, but I still think Do You Remember Love? is the best Macross.

cajunator

Banned
I wouldn't say it's one of the best scenes in 2014, but the guy-talk had me giggling like a little girl. I actually wish anime would show that sorta stuff more often -- just casual, fluffy, everyday stuff related to guys. Shoujo series get that stuff a lot because so many of them take place in school, but it's usually girl-talk. I enjoyed Chiyo's paranoia in the first half too. And yeah, Nozaki could do with less screentime. He's not all that funny.

the show you want is Nichibros!

SOON I WILL HAVE NON-CAPPED INTERNET

AND THEN

I WILL RETURNNNNNN

I cant imagine what a capped internet is like.

Narag

G Gundam is probably #3 and good for me due to Imagawa and just how different it is from other Gundam stuff. How many angsty war stories do we really need, y'know? As I've gotten older, I've found myself thinking the shows that break the mold and entertain a different tone to be the superior shows of the franchise.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Corvo is lying, nothing tops G Gundam 45.

Articalys

I haven't watched G Gundam since it aired on Toonami way back in the day.

Come to think of it, that might be the last time up until now that I've watched anything Gundam.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
G Gundam is probably #3 and good for me due to Imagawa and just how different it is from other Gundam stuff. How many angsty war stories do we really need, y'know? As I've gotten older, I've found myself thinking the shows that break the mold and entertain a different tone to be the superior shows of the franchise.

Now I'm really wondering what your final opinion on ZZ will be.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Chie the Brat was a fun movie, though the subplot about the cat's ballsack was bizarre as hell. What is with Isao Takahata and scrotums?

Syrinx

Working!! 10-13

I liked this show better when it was about the antics at the restaurant rather than the relationship between Takanashi and Inami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom