• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailbox

I don't. This, I guarantee you, will make people look at Prison School (until the content within which is just as bad if not worse than what's alleged of GG makes them run away screaming but that's academic) because twitter blew up about it.

Besides that. Directly refering to a hashtag dates the show which is poor play.

But if that is how testicular fortitude is measured by today then whatever.

Let's see them pull this off in something that isn't trying to have its cheesecake and eat it and then acdc can sing.

You don't seem to get what gamergate is, do you?

While I agree that this seems to be something that will give them some coverage online and does date the show (no less than the portal references in steins;gate, but whatever), doing this creates a lot of potential vitriol and potential life ruining effects.

Gamergate has ruined a good deal of lives, just for going slightly against them. For any major... Anything to say anything in opposition to them is kinda ballsy.
I sure as hell wouldn't be able to do that.

Now all they gotta do is bravely call out Monsumu for it's misogynistic and loli content, right!? Wonder if I'll see you applauding then ;)

Comparing Ecchi material to gamergate are we?

Stay classy.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They could replace the whole English dub with lines from Shakespeare and it wouldn't matter since you should be watching it with the original Japanese dub as Kami intended.

Mailbox

They could replace the whole English dub with lines from Shakespeare and it wouldn't matter since you should be watching it with the original Japanese dub as Kami intended.
They probably will redo a lot of it for the BD release.

But let's not make this a subs v. Dubs thing

You don't seem to get what gamergate is, do you?

While I agree that this seems to be something that will give them some coverage online and does date the show (no less than the portal references in steins;gate, but whatever), doing this creates a lot of potential vitriol and potential life ruining effects.

Gamergate has ruined a good deal of lives, just for going slightly against them. For any major... Anything to say anything in opposition to them is kinda ballsy.
I sure as hell wouldn't be able to do that.

Re-purposing someone else's work for your own political agenda, no matter how noble it might be, is still a shitty thing to do. I haven't followed the gamergate drama at all, but if I felt strongly against it, the reference would still be pandering in a cringey "pissing Calvin" way. Author self-inserts like that only work for me if they are the original author and not someone adapting another creator's work. It feels like hijacking. At the end of the day, it's a throwaway reference/joke and hopefully the writer got it off their chest.

Re-purposing someone else's work for your own political agenda, no matter how noble it might be, is still a shitty thing to do. I haven't followed the gamergate drama at all, but if I felt strongly against it, the reference would still be pandering in a cringey "pissing Calvin" way. Author self-inserts like that only work for me if they are the original author and not someone adapting another creator's work. It feels like hijacking. At the end of the day, it's a throwaway reference/joke and hopefully the writer got it off their chest.

Yup, well said and I would hope we can all agree to that.

JulianImp

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 11

kuuki kuuki kuuki kuuki kuuki kuuki kuuki kuuki kuuki kuuki kuuki kuuki kuuki kuuki kuuki kuuki

The soft music did a really great job conveying the melancholy with that battle scene. Them revealing what they did immediately after unfortunately made it way less impactful or interesting. And why not just have Gelsadra do it and heal her after? Oh well, good thing they conveniently have that healer person huh!

Sometimes I look back to the time OD told Utsutsu that she'd be able to heal only one more person with her powers... but then everybody began sharing their own lifeforce with her to let her heal just about anyone. It's a bit weird how everybody in the G-team has probably spent several years' worth of lifeforce (however that's supposed to work) to patch up their partners through her.

Really, screw all those "cast from lifeforce" abilities (like Ten-Shin Han's Ki Ko Ku), since all they're good for is to be used to show how desperate a situation is, but the only time their drawbacks actually end up being relevant is when the show wants the character to sacrifice him/herself for the sake of drama. It also reinforces the whole "fate" theme, since it's like you're supposed to die without fail in X years, but somehow using your super ability shaves a year off every time you do it.

Looking forward to Gakkou Gurashi today!

Got sidetracked and wanted to say I rewatched Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer.

I saw it a few years ago when I endeavored to watch all near 200 episodes of the show (which I did) and really enjoyed the movie. Definitely one of Mamoru Oshii's best films. I honestly think they guy does better with pre-established characters that he has worked with intimately before. When he has to work with characters he has never written for before or completely original characters that he created, they tend to be far too cold and detached for me to relate to.

But yeah, Beautiful Dreamer, despite being grounded in a slap stick romantic comedy series, manages to be incredibly creepy and atmospheric. It is in many ways the Patlabor 2 to Urusei Yatsura. While there are large amounts of comedy still kept throughout, there is a huge shift in both tone and character focus. Not content with making another extended episode like the first movie, Oshii delves into his usual existential pondering by exploring the concept of dreams. Except this time without the angst and instead of a small cast of brooding human husks, we follow a large cast of loud, funny, and eccentric characters.

Despite the comedy, the movie manages to maintain an air of mystery and even almost horror during the first half. If I were to compare it to another film in terms of atmosphere, it would be Dark City. It's not crazy scary or dark and nor is it just straight up constant comedy, but rather they mix together well. Honestly, if you never seen the show before, I think you could still very much enjoy this film. The only thing you need to know is that Lum is an alien so she can fly and shoot lightning.

The show and other movies have never been particularly dark or emotional, but this part toward the end always kinda got to me (
even if it was an obvious fake out.
) A good character moment for Ataru.
mZ5fSTu.jpg

Gonna have to disagree there. Changing somethings for the dub because a direct translation is not funny is fine. The original line is the female character just saying he can't talk to her like that, because she's his senior. Considering how Prison School is a show that survives off being...well kinda terrible, I think it fits well.

Also making fun of gamergate and its supporters isn't really a political statement, so much as its the correct human response.

Gonna have to disagree there. Changing somethings in a dub because it's just not funny in English is fine. The original line is the female character just saying he can't talk to her like that, because she's his senior. Considering how Prison School is a show that survives off being...well kinda terrible, I think it fits well.

Also making fun of gamergate and its supporters isn't really a political statement, so much as its the correct human response.

What? Mind elaborating?

What? Mind elaborating?

Prison School is a 20+ minutes of cringing and laughing because of how amazingly little taste it has.

It's a show that you're supposed to look at, and laugh as much at it, as you do with it.

So in that regard throwing in a gamergate reference, something that automatically makes most people cringe, is fine.

Prison School is a 20+ minutes of cringing and laughing because of how amazingly little taste it has.

It's a show that you're supposed to look at, and laugh as much at it, as you do with it.

So in that regard throwing in a gamergate reference, something that automatically makes most people cringe, is fine.
I personally think the gamergate is too obscure to fit. Like there are countless more amusing or simply easier to understand lines they could have used. That honestly just felt line a line the editor/translator/however just tossed in there cause they don't like gamegate and not because it made contextual sense. Yeah gamegate sucks but that doesn't mean it made sense to use them as a reference here.

I also don't agree with your depiction of Prison School like at all.

Gonna have to disagree there. Changing somethings for the dub because a direct translation is not funny is fine. The original line is the female character just saying he can't talk to her like that, because she's his senior.

I get that you gotta take liberties since direct translations don't work all the time. But the line wasn't really supposed to be funny in the first place, and even if it was, what we got instead isn't particularly funny either. "KKK are losers," as much as I agree with that sentiment, doesn't really elicit a laugh from me simply because I agree with it.

I think you'll find the Chronicles of the After School Club are anything but losers!

6/10

-------------------

Oh, while I'm here, could anyone tell me what the appeal is of Noragami? I thought it was decent but people seem to really like it. Am I missing something?

Gonna have to disagree there. Changing somethings for the dub because a direct translation is not funny is fine. The original line is the female character just saying he can't talk to her like that, because she's his senior. Considering how Prison School is a show that survives off being...well kinda terrible, I think it fits well.

There is no connection whatsoever between what is said in the original and what it was changed to in the dub, there was no reason to randomly throw in a gamergate quip.

I'll agree with you on one thing though, the "joke" was pretty terrible so if you think Prison School is a show that survives off of being terrible then it'd be a good fit.

Narag

giphy.gif

you really don't know what "Clickbait" means, do you?

Also, yeah it takes a good amount of balls to actually not only mention, but go against, a very heavy sexist internet group especially when said line is delivered by a female VA.

I kinda feel bad by what is almost certain to happen online, but props to funimation.

I think that matters if they're only present in your realm of awareness and not just some fringe knowledge picked up from the internet. I can't say which is the case here though.

If there is something more boring than a plain Japanese line then is it silly reference humour.

Exalted

Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan - 12

The ending just proves despite everything, Yuri a best and most forgiving girl. also this show fucking sucked and I have no fucking idea why I watched this crap all the way through.
Haha, someone else besides me finished this show. It was as bland and generic as it gets. But for some reason i also never droped it.

So apparently there's 6 different LN Harem Battle shows airing this fall, huzzah! :/

Aside from all that junk, there's quite a few good shows airing too luckily. One-Punch Man will hopefully be pretty good, Haikyuu S2 as well.

I don't really recall anything else right now, but my initial impressions were positive.

Diodiablo

Banned
That means that at least one has to be good, right?

...Right?

Chivalry of a failed knight, despite how it looks and how it can appear from the first episode or so, it's actually good and not an harem show at all, in the novels at least.
The MC and the heroine fall in love and get together almost immediately. He has no interest in any other female character.

So at least it's not the usual IS clone where tons of competent and beautiful girls fall in love of the MC because reasons.

So apparently there's 6 different LN Harem Battle shows airing this fall, huzzah! :/

This shall be my greatest challenge yet. If I can withstand this, surely I will be worthy of entering Valhalla.
I warmed up with Chaos Dragon, let's see how deep this abyss can go!

Phatmac

There are few shows that I'll be watching this fall which is a shame but I guess it gives me more time to play fall games and catch up on my anime backlog.

So, there's no Gakkou Gurashi this week? I was really looking forward to it after how it got back on track after EP 9.

Apparently it already aired in Japan so I don't think it's delayed for a week, it will pop up after a few hours or something.

What makes you think that? Usually airs in ~40 min from now doesn't it?

Check Crunchy, they mentioned it on the School Live page.

Due to production issues, episode 12 of SCHOOL-LIVE! will be delayed. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

The despair already started before we even got to watch it T.T

jonjonaug

So, there's no Gakkou Gurashi this week? I was really looking forward to it after how it got back on track after EP 9.

Didn't episode 10 waste the entire episode on pool shenanigans? Or was that episode 9?

Really this has been such a trainwreck that it's hard to remember where the worst parts are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom