• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.
come home, zach

NRBmKEp.gif

Sölf

The first two anime series I recall watching are the Vision of Esclaflowne and Sailor Moon.

Esclaflowne is still an great classic but I haven't seen Sailor Moon in years.

If we are talking about the first, that was Sailor Moon probably. I did watch Heidi and Maya the Bee, but back then I didn't make a difference between them and other kids shows. Sailor Moon at least was different enough. Later on it as stuff like Pokemon, Digimon, Dragonball, Ranma 1/2 (<3<3<3) or Wedding Peach and whatever else was on TV. Late night we had stuff like Agent Aika, Golden Boy, Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop and Noir (and some more things later on).

But the first thing aside those... no idea what exactly it was, but it was definitly on youtube and unless I completely forgot about something, it was one of these two horrible shows:

75251l.jpg

75454l.jpg

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
First anime I saw was Royal Space Force about 20 years ago. I think it was either Fist of the North Star or the Arslan Senki OVAs after that. Pokemon also started here around the same time.

Sölf;179838523 said:
When did you start to "seriously" watch anime? :0

Mmm in my infancy, more than 20 years ago? Or that doesn't count? I watched stuff like:

Heidi
Captain Tsubasa
Saint Seiya
Lupin III (who knows what series)
Dragon Ball
Ranma 1/2
Attacker You!
Nadia
Peter Pan no B&#333;ken
Dashu Kappei
Sailor Moon

I think my first anime movie was Akira, in 1993. I also remember watching a Dominions OVA, the Fist of the North Star movie, Ninja Scrolls, and a pair more. A bit later I could watch Ghost in the Shell (as Akira, in Canal+), and I watched Evangelion in pirated VHS.
In university, I remember watching a Golden Boy full session in an anime club.

phaze

First anime I watched was probably Tiger Mask. If not that then either Yatterman or Tosho Daimos. I was so young I don't really remember.

First "modern" anime (after a long ass post DB:GT break) was probably Saint Seiya Omega cause someone posted a thread in the OT and as Kuramada's stuff damaged my brain long time ago, I couldn't help but check it out.

For the long time I was watching my backlog only but I finally started to meddle with current anime in Spring 2014 I think.

Hamst3r

Sölf;179838523 said:
That aside, do you guys remember when you got into season watching?

malgraph.png

Mid-April 2014 was the start of my true anime adventure. I have now seen what feels like a lot of anime.

phaze

The pink hair guy in Mawaru Penguindrum had an excellent voice, his catch phrase "Electrifying isn't it?" (Shibireru ne) was stuck in my head for a while.

It turned into a meme in a WhatsApp group I'm in :p

All the catchphrases carved themselves into my brain already. Especially the random and sudden "Survival Strategy" and "Gosh, I must crush him soon."

2 games in and you've already thrown in the towel. Pity, I was hoping to bullying you more.

I watched the first like 4-5. Might finish it one day.

Well you should, The ride was a good one!

I just need to know what to start now. I've been enjoying My Love Story! Only anime I've broken my wait to watch all the eps rule for. Any good summer shows that ended that I can binge ala Rokka?

Sölf

Someone watched Green Green as his or her first show? &#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;

Well, sort of first. As said, I am not completely sure what my first was when I started to watch anime on youtube and actively search for stuff, but these two were one of the first I watched. At least I found out about School Rumble soon after. Does that redeem me?

Ascheroth

Well you should, The ride was a good one!

I just need to know what to start now. I've been enjoying My Love Story! Only anime I've broken my wait to watch all the eps rule for. Any good summer shows that ended that I can binge ala Rokka?

Well technically it ends tomorrow, but you should go watch Shokugeki no Soma :)

Sölf;179844739 said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HA HA HA HA

Holy shit. Someone else other than me watched this show? I literally thought I was the only one. This show was an absolute atrocity. Bear rape. The girl's quirk being she fucking had a cactus. Oh my god. How did I watch all 12 episodes?

And yet somehow it has one of the best OP songs of all time and I'm not sure how that is even possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9AGkrT6j-A

Sölf

Holy shit. Someone else other than me watched this show? I literally thought I was the only one. This show was an absolute atrocity. Bear rape. The girl's quirk being she fucking had a cactus. Oh my god. How did I watch all 12 episodes?

And yet somehow it has one of the best OP songs of all time and I'm not sure how that is even possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9AGkrT6j-A

We all know the best part of the show were the 3 dudes. And don't forget the glorious 13th episode... xD

Sölf;179838523 said:
It doesn't really help that it seems like there is not a single show where most people say "watch that first". xD
I will definitly watch all of them sometime (I have no idea how many years I already have Ef and I still haven't seen it), I just can't decide for what first.

That aside, do you guys remember when you got into season watching? Everyone here has probably watched anime for years and years, but for example I only started to watch more than 1-2 shows from each season (if I even watched shows from a season) since the Winter 13/14 season (where I watched like... 15 shows at the same time, but tried out even more). I came to our weekly stream 1 season earlier, where we watched Kill La Kill, Noucome and Sekai de Ichiban (and the first episode of another show each week).

I started seriously watching anime when I moved to Canada. That happened in October of 2008. Shortly after that, after enrolling in school and whatnot, I heard about some show called Soul Eater that was supposed to be cool. Been watching seasonal anime since then. So 7 years for me in a month.

Firemind

Sölf;179846893 said:
Well, sort of first. As said, I am not completely sure what my first was when I started to watch anime on youtube and actively search for stuff, but these two were one of the first I watched. At least I found out about School Rumble soon after. Does that redeem me?
I don't know. Are you Team Yakumo or Team Eri?

UberTag

Plenty of people have watched Green Green.
We just went into therapy to have the memory of watching it blocked from our minds.

Sölf

Plenty of people have watched Green Green.
We just went into therapy to have the memory of watching it blocked from our minds.

Actually, that does sound reasonably enough for a watch bet, eh? WHO DARES TO WATCH IT?!

Or even better: All of the Cosprayers universe shows (specials excluded, because I didn't even know they exist until a few minutes ago xD). Which I think is even harder. Anyone? Mike? :D

Qurupeke

My first anime was One Piece and it took me like 3 years to finish. I think it was back on 2008-2009. My first try in season animes was SAO and that went horribly wrong. A traumatic experience... I stopped watching animes for some time, until Attack on Titan which I found interesting. After that, more and more followed.

Sölf

Green Green isn't that awful. It's just... really nonsensical. Anime (adjective), basically.

I am not sure. I mean, I enjoyed it back then, but I haven't seen any of those harem shows before. And looking back, god I think it is just bad compared to newer ones - and I basically don't even watch newer ones anymore because they mostly feel the same.

The other thing is the Cosprayers thing. That's definitly, err, "an experience".

My first anime was Speed Racer. First time I saw it I was like 5 and watched ti with my mom because she loved the show.

First anime I watched and actually liked was Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon still the original best girl.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Everyone's first anime was Bible Black. That's the real facts. If they say otherwise they are lying.

Except for me. Mine was Mumintroll.

Firemind

Sölf;179849689 said:
I am not sure. I mean, I enjoyed it back then, but I haven't seen any of those harem shows before. And looking back, god I think it is just bad compared to newer ones - and I basically don't even watch newer ones anymore because they mostly feel the same.

The other thing is the Cosprayers thing. That's definitly, err, "an experience".
Have you by any chance watched Akikan? Or Kämpfer?

Ascheroth

My first animes were those that ran on TV: Inuyasha, One Piece, Naruto, Dragon Ball (Z), Detective Conan, Pokemon, Digimon and Sailor Moon, basically, I think.

The first anime I watched online was probably One Piece, when the TV episodes ran out and I jumped right into the subbed version, haha.

You know, the more I watch anime, the more I can understand why that series is considered a "gateway series" into anime. If you go in not jaded with no inherent bias' you would probably enjoy it much more. Either way, it was my first and you always think highly of your firsts, right?

Not always.

My favorite anime used to be Fairy Tail back in 2012. I thought it was fun, had a great soundtrack, cool characters, etc. I just loved the show and thought it was a legitimately great fantasy shounen back then. This was before I watched Code Geass, TTGL, G Gundam, Madoka Magica, etc.

Nowadays? Not so much. I mean, there's still a genuine soft spot in my heart for the characters, music, and story, and I still read the manga. But the more I look back on the show and the more discussion I read about it, the more apparent its very huge flaws become to me.

We can always have nostalgia for the first shows we watched, but we should watch more anime to get a feel for how much better other shows can be.

Firemind

Sölf;179850424 said:
Nope. Kämpfer aired when I already thought that stuff is too stupid to watch (then again, I might watch it for the lulz nowadays). Akikan I haven't even heard about... xD
You're missing out, breh.

Ascheroth

Not always.

My favorite anime used to be Fairy Tail back in 2012. I thought it was fun, had a great soundtrack, cool characters, etc. I just loved the show and thought it was a legitimately great fantasy shounen back then. This was before I watched Code Geass, TTGL, G Gundam, Madoka Magica, etc.

Nowadays? Not so much. I mean, there's still a genuine soft spot in my heart for the characters, music, and story, and I still read the manga. But the more I look back on the show and the more discussion I read about it, the more apparent its very huge flaws become to me.

We can always have nostalgia for the first shows we watched, but we should watch more anime to get a feel for how much better other shows can be.

Even if the rest of Fairy Tail isn't outstanding, the soundtrack is still one of my favourites.

And if we're talking about great soundtracks, I'll have to drop Gundam Build Fighters in here. Literally every song gets you hyped.
It also helps that it's a really great show and those who haven't yet watched it, should fix that mistake ;)

Besides the shows that I watched as a kid, the first show that I watched consciously knowing it was anime was Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan.

That was quite an experience at the old age of... 15.

That is the best way to get into anime.

Also Akikan was fantastic simply because it was soooooooooooooooo bad. It took it's premise and itself so seriously that I don't think an episode went by where I wasn't laughing the whole ride. I rarely if ever find "so bad it's good" shows actually good in that regard but holy shit Akikan was so bad it was good.

The next AnimeGAF Let's Watch should be Green Green. We'll all make bets about what we have to do if we can't finish it. And then watch as the world slowly collapses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom