• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people don't want a recap episode, but to be honest, Manglobe probably needs that time.

The characters have been melting in recent episodes.

Holy shit Figmas are harder to deal with than I expected. Anyway these were the gets from the Expo, excuse my phone's potato quality:

5n1Mv8B.jpg

Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul

7idaTn3.jpg

Eren and Mikasa from Attack on Titan

7w8pWs9.jpg

Dinkle
Nolan
bot from Destiny to accompany me on my travels in space

xdPi8iT.jpg

TTK official poster
and Nolanbot again
; Okami, Evangelion and Metroid Fan Art

I'd be surprised if it actually had a script. The writing was terrible.

At least it was pretty.

The writing was fine! It had just the right amount of campiness and drama for it to work as an awesome movie about people in giant robots punching monsters.

Ugh, mecha gets so much disrespect in here nowadays. Though it isn't surprising considering the last great mecha anime that came out was Gundam Build Fighters S1 in late 2013.

Phatmac

YESS YESS YESS MY OTP SHIP HAS SAILED!!!! Adlet finally stepped up and confessed his feelings like a strong man! Also, fuck off crazy yandere bunny princess!

I have a much better grasp of rhetoric, therefore words, if you think story and plot are synonymous.

They aren't.

I have only ever heard them used as essentially interchangable words - they both refer to the sequence of events that makes up a narrative. The "things happening", as you will. If you believe there to be a difference, please enlighten me as to what that difference is.

Phatmac

Well that went far too smoothly for there not to be consequences. I wanna get off Muria's wild ride already with all this time travel bullshit that'll probably be broken down by plot holes.

Russ T

Banned
Finished Yurikuma Arashi, finally.

I liked it way more than I thought I would when I watched the first two episodes as they aired and then immediately threw it in my backlog to finish later.

I'm not sure the metaphors are super deep (everything seems pretty obvious as to what it's supposed to be), but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Squalor

I know people don't want a recap episode, but to be honest, Manglobe probably needs that time.

The characters have been melting in recent episodes.
Haha. Why do anything, then? Just take the week off.
I have only ever heard them used as essentially interchangable words - they both refer to the sequence of events that makes up a narrative. The "things happening", as you will. If you believe there to be a difference, please enlighten me as to what that difference is.
Story: "The king died, and then the queen died."

Plot: "The king died, and then the queen died of grief."

While they are related, they are not synonymous.

Ushio and Tora 10

SO I guess they're just going to flat out skip the Kyoura story then. If they were going to do it just in a different order, they wouldn't have put the scene in the beginning. I guess they'll skip the stuff where he shows up again in the future, given that those bits relate to how Ushio beat him. I guess they probably need some cuts to get to the end in time, and relatively speaking his stories probably are easier to cut then some of the others, but it still sucks

Phatmac

It's a shame Gangsta has been having production issues considering how well it started out. Sucks that we're getting a recap episode.

Haha. Why do anything, then? Just take the week off.

The production committee paid for that TV timeslot; it's their responsibility to air something during it.

Story: "The king died, and then the queen died."

Plot: "The king died, and then the queen died of grief."

While they are related, they are not synonymous.

Now I'm just more confused. I don't understand what sort of difference you intend to illustrate by adding "of grief" - the sentence is essentially unchanged except that the latter version goes into more depth. Could you elucidate your view or, better yet, link to some external source that backs up your position? I mean, when Wikipedia's page on Plot states "Plot (narrative): The story of a play, film or work of literature", it doesn't seem that the majority of people share your view.

Edit: OK, looking at Wikipedia's page on "Plot (narrative)" in detail, I can see where you are coming from and where you quoted your example from, although the distinction drawn being a sequence of events in time and a sequence of casually linked events doesn't seem to carry over to common parlance.

Crocodile

Food Wars 22

giphy.gif

Megumi-chan <3

The comedy can be a bit hit or miss but when it comes to characterization this show of all shows can fucking nail it. Great episode. I will say that more and more it feels like the food dishes they are making, especially given the time and resource constraints, border on like sorcery. What I mean is that a lot of them seem totally impractical to actually serve in a restaurant. The time, material and effort it would take to make a lot of these dishes would make them ABSURDLY expensive. On a side noted, thin Isami is way more handsome than Takumi. Why do those Italian born brothers have Japanese first names again?

The Six Braves 10

Man Maura is just a grade A bitch now. Like how does she expect the others to react once they learn Hans is fine if they actually went ahead and killed Adelet? Does she want to go HULK SMASH so badly she isn't taking the time to think things through? I'd also say some characters are either a bit too obstinate or gullible for my tastes, I feel my suspension of disbelief is being stretched a bit thin and a few minor dialogue changes probably would have solved that. All that complaining aside (plus the weekly note that I wished the show looked better), I actually though this was a great episode. Really looking forward to next week.

Because nine episodes of content is so much to keep up with.

I would have thought that you've been watching anime long enough to know how close to the bone many productions are. They aren't making a recap episode because they think viewers are having a hard time following the plot :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Technically, that is plot.

Plot = What happens,
Narrative = How it's told

Story = The whole shebang

Russ T

Banned
Now I'm just more confused. I don't understand what sort of difference you intend to illustrate by adding "of grief" - the sentence is essentially unchanged except that the latter version goes into more depth. Could you elucidate your view or, better yet, link to some external source that backs up your position? I mean, when Wikipedia's page on Plot states "Plot (narrative): The story of a play, film or work of literature", it doesn't seem that the majority of people share your view.

A friend just gave me this helpful thing: "The plot thickens." As in, the plot becomes more complicated, while the story remains basic.

Also: http://cinemoose.com/plot-vs-story/

The "majority", to be fair, often conflates things that originally had different meanings - sometimes completely unrelated.

Food Wars 22

giphy.gif

Megumi-chan <3

The comedy can be a bit hit or miss but when it comes to characterization this show of all shows can fucking nail it. Great episode. I will say that more and more it feels like the food dishes they are making, especially given the time and resource constraints, border on like sorcery. What I mean is that a lot of them seem totally impractical to actually serve in a restaurant. The time, material and effort it would take to make a lot of these dishes would make them ABSURDLY expensive. On a side noted, thin Isami is way more handsome than Takumi. Why do those Italian born brothers have Japanese first names again?

The Six Braves 10

Man Maura is just a grade A bitch now. Like how does she expect the others to react once they learn Hans is fine if they actually went ahead and killed Adelet? Does she want to go HULK SMASH so badly she isn't taking the time to think things through? I'd also say some characters are either a bit too obstinate or gullible for my tastes, I feel my suspension of disbelief is being stretched a bit thin and a few minor dialogue changes probably would have solved that. All that complaining aside (plus the weekly note that I wished the show looked better), I actually though this was a great episode. Really looking forward to next week.

I would have thought that you've been watching anime long enough to know how close to the bone many productions are. They aren't making a recap episode because they think viewers are having a hard time following the plot :p
Takumi and Isami are half Japanese I think

Food Wars 22
What I mean is that a lot of them seem totally impractical to actually serve in a restaurant. The time, material and effort it would take to make a lot of these dishes would make them ABSURDLY expensive. On a side noted, thin Isami is way more handsome than Takumi. Why do those Italian born brothers have Japanese first names again?

It's Tootsuki, of course the food they are serving would be severely expensive but the alumni there go on to make 5 star restaurants in Paris.

Yep

Crocodile

If I had to say there is a difference, I'd say the "story" would be the what you would put on the back of a book or what you'd tell someone in an elevator if you only had 30 seconds to describe something. The plot would be a more indepth treatment of that. Say an outline versus an actual paper. However people use both terms so interchangeable in colloquial speech that I feel you probably have to have to be very anal to really give a damn outside the most precise/academic of scenarios.

Huh I guess I forgot.

You didn't need to quote my entire post :p

If I had to say there is a difference, I'd say the "story" would be the what you would put on the back of a book or what you'd tell someone in an elevator if you only had 30 seconds to describe something. The plot would be a more indepth treatment of that. Say an outline versus an actual paper. However people use both terms so interchangeable in colloquial speech that I feel you probably have to have to be very anal to really give a damn outside the most precise/academic of scenarios.

Huh I guess I forgot.

You didn't need to quote my entire post :p

But what if he wanted to?

Y8reiVX.jpg

Cornbread78

Gate ep.10
Of course Rory steals the show again; she is a demi-god afterall. That battle scene at the Inn was pretty gruesome, lol. Then, she pays proper homage to the dead in Japan before going back. It's funny how she was still pissed at Itami for not giving her the sausage and that cold shoulder scene with Risa getting the wrong idea was hilarious.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Had no idea Gangsta was having production issues. Guess I was right to wait and see with it.
It's Manglobe, so...yeah. There are honestly bigger challenges that Gangsta faces beyond the production issues. I think it's one of the more poorly realized worlds I've seen in a piece of fiction. All of these factions and locations are constantly in the background but given no mind or explanation, even when they're crucial to having an understanding of just what is going on.
A friend just gave me this helpful thing: "The plot thickens." As in, the plot becomes more complicated, while the story remains basic.

Also: http://cinemoose.com/plot-vs-story/

The "majority", to be fair, often conflates things that originally had different meanings - sometimes completely unrelated.
lol. more bologna than i can find at my local supermarket.

Quasar

Gate 10 - Risa Taneda is just great as Rory. And amused that she's doing Erina from Souma at the same time.

One Piece 708

You know, that injection shot technique didn't look really powerful to be honest.

He touched Dony-boy with his sword, and shot something into him?

Okay, the animation for this episode isn't gonna be winning any awards. It's a shame too since this almost the big climatic showdown right here. It needs to look awesome.

Bellamy, were you put in the story only to be human shield?

Gate 10

Filthy Americans got taught a lesson by the amazing Japanese forces.

Charlotte 10

It all makes sense now. Man this show is actually pretty well done.

Cornbread78

Gate 10

Filthy Americans got taught a lesson by the amazing Japanese forces.

Charlotte 10

It all makes sense now. Man this show is actually pretty well done.

Not just 1 special forces group, 3 special forces groups at once, lol.

Yeah, the past few episodes have been really good. Notice Takashi and Yusarin haven't really been involved, lol. As was said in the OT, something bad is about to happen to either Yuu, Nao or big bro. This week was too happy, so Maeda has to make us hate life once more before the end of it all.

Viva! Tokyo!

What a great and educational anime

http://i.imgur.com/I6YrcGV.jpg[/IMG

also Bob is the greatest anime protag[/QUOTE]
It took me a while to notice it. I think I'm going to feel good about that.
[quote="Haly, post: 177710972"]Technically, that is plot.

Plot = What happens,
Narrative = How it's told

Story = The whole shebang[/QUOTE]
If there's a hierarchical model, I'd put narrative at the top since it can have such a strong influence on how the story is interpreted. A narrative can exist outside of a single story.

The weirdest thing about Gate is the fact that the
Russians
, while villainous, are portrayed as the least bigoted in comparison to
China
and the US.

.....Wut?

Kalentan

The weirdest thing about Gate is the fact that the
Russians
, while villainous, are portrayed as the least bigoted in comparison to
China
and the US.

.....Wut?

i just find it weird how the US is shown to be the most atagonistic towards Japan... Despite us having great relations with them in real life (also have 49k soldiers stationed in the country), and much better relations then they have with China or Russia...

It's weird. I think Gate takes place in some Alternate Earth where US-Japan relations aren't that good. Which I don't know... feels contrived in some way? Like they did it so they could further emphasis how great Japan is.

I just hope it can go back to focusing on the other world, cause anything that deals with politics is really poorly written and thought out. Like despite the author having served in the JSDF, he seems to either lack the knowledge of the JSDF's relation with the US or willing ignores it to push an agenda.

Quasar

It's weird. I think Gate takes place in some Alternate Earth where US-Japan relations aren't that good. Which I don't know... feels contrived in some way? Like they did it so they could further emphasis how great Japan is.

Its the future Trump presidency obviously.

Branduil

i just find it weird how the US is shown to be the most atagonistic towards Japan... Despite us having great relations with them in real life (also have 49k soldiers stationed in the country), and much better relations then they have with China or Russia...

I just hope it can go back to focusing on the other world, cause anything that deals with politics is really poorly written and thought out. Like despite the author having served in the JSDF, he seems to either lack the knowledge of the JSDF's relation with the US or willing ignores it to push an agenda.

Sounds like the kind of thing a WWII revisionist/nationalist would write.

Yeah, the past few episodes have been really good. Notice Takashi and Yusarin haven't really been involved, lol. As was said in the OT, something bad is about to happen to either Yuu, Nao or big bro. This week was too happy, so Maeda has to make us hate life once more before the end of it all.
I can totally see that. Is Yuu gonna get
blind
by the end of it all? /:

Working!!! 10

Why do i get the feeling that there's going to be another misunderstanding between Takanashi and Inami?

Cornbread78

Rokka 10
Fuck, that was awesome. Princess is insane and Maura is a royal douche. I'very changed my guess, I'm back to my original pick of Goldov since he has basically sat back and watched this whole thing play out from the shadows, just trying to get in the princess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom