• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
Sölf;177934946 said:
The best thing about Gintama is that it only gets better with each episode you watch. :D
I watched an episode about 4 men on the toilet playing mind games.

And it was great.

Sölf

I always feel a little taken aback when I see other people's MAL profiles. Just when I think having 22.9 days worth of anime on my profile is huge, I find people with like twice that!

I think the same about my 65 days - and then I see people with over a 100 and think I still have a long way to go... xD

I also only started to watch shows from a specific season 2 or 3 years ago. Before that I only watched either specific shows (Umineko for example) or watched shows which were already finished, so I could watch them within a few days (and I don't know how, but I finished all of FMA: Brotherhood in 2 1/2 days, watching 32 episodes at the second day).

Cornbread78

To be fair, there's probably an age difference too and tastes change over time. Although the oldest (in terms of age) members aren't even around anymore.

when i look at these mal pages there's a very discernible split in taste between older members and newer members.

I'm one of the newer members of the community, but older by age.

Am I going to have to watch this series just for that one scene?
Yes I will.

When exactly did you start watching anime? You've now spent more time watching anime than me when I started 2+ years ago. (If MALs episode lengths are to be trusted)

Umm,
Since Dec. 2014

Baalzebup

^ lol

and I thought I was late to this

Edit: also, I'm no longer a Junior Member, did it just happen?! :0

There was another gaffer who started quite recently as well. The now banned Arcadius, methinks?

And congratulations on your full membership. Now on to getting a tag :)

Gbraga

AnimeGAF, nyanpasu, what was that episode 10? Oh my god, OH MY GOD. Kaede and Ren-chon are the cutest in the universe, I love Non Non Biyori so much, I hope we get a third season and I hope the episode 10 is again Kaede X Ren-chon stuff. This anime cleans my soul, man, just watching an episode can completely change my mood for the better :')

Jitsu wa watashi wa was pretty cute, but I'm expecting the next episode to start with the misunderstanding already cleared, so it won't really matter.

Rokka, in the other hand, is a show I just can't take a shot at predicting what will happen. Still have my money on Nachetanya, but only because reasons, I don't know what to think anymore. Every episode they make someone very likely to be the seventh, only to then give you enough to not suspect them anymore. Are we at a point where Goldof is the most likely candidate?

About Ushio to Tora, it was a nice episode, but I hope Saya comes back in the future, the most common crime these "journey shows" commit is never revisiting interesting characters they meet during their journey. I really liked this episode, but I also really hope they get on with the main story already.

To finish my quick impressions of some of the stuff I watched over the weekend, Shokugeki no Soma was so good. Tadokoro is the best, I didn't realize that while reading the manga for whatever reason, but now watching it again, every time Tadokoro has an episode centered on her, I get all emotional, she's just such a good person, haha, I don't really know how to explain, she's so kind TT_TT

Samurai Flamenco is awesome because its is like all the Tokusatsu fuckery being crammed into a show.
fclqNWQ.jpg

And it gave us this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrChO3vQGps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eouUOE0EEVE

The best part is that this image is actually tame compared to what we actually, actually got.

Mandelbo

Sölf;177935105 said:
I think the same about my 65 days - and then I see people with over a 100 and think I still have a long way to go... xD

I also only started to watch shows from a specific season 2 or 3 years ago. Before that I only watched either specific shows (Umineko for example) or watched shows which were already finished, so I could watch them within a few days (and I don't know how, but I finished all of FMA: Brotherhood in 2 1/2 days, watching 32 episodes at the second day).

That's a little similar to me. I started watching shows as they aired in 2013, but before that I just watched bits and pieces. Perhaps if I finished every show I start watch as it's airing my total would be a bit higher :p

World Trigger Episode 45
COWIkM1UsAERaIC.jpg
COWIrcpUwAEcHUA.jpg

Hyuse is best non Border character. Im still hoping he enlists and fully defects from Aftokrator. He would be a perfect for Tamakoma, yotaro likes him so much and he too can be misled by Karasuma.

Cornbread78

Quickest way is to insult BONES and whatever anime mobile game is rotting his brainsoul in the same sentence.

Also kick his box for good measure.

The funniest thing was the other night Seda said he was looking to hand out tags in the Toonami thread and they all got super thirsty. It was kind of funny to watch. Everyone wants a good tag, but those are hard to come by...

phaze

Dennou Coil Series Impressions

Dennou Coil is a 2007, Mitsuo Iso directed show that takes places in the small Japanese city of Daikoku, in Japan of year 2026. Where and when a sort of augmented reality, accessible through a special set of glasses, is commonly used by both adults in children for both work, school stuff or just pure entertainment appliances. The main protagonist of the story is Yasako (Okonogi Yuko) , a fresh arrival to the city, who through problems with her virtual pet Densuke, quickly gets involved with other, glass using (and abusing) kids: Fumie a member of Dennou Detective Agency who helps Yasako with her problem and introduces her to the strange way things work in Daikoku City, Fumie's long standing rival and nuisance Daichi (and his gang of "hackers"), Haraken - another Yasako's contemporary who investigates the shad phenomenon of illegals, mysterious clad in black entities that emerge from obsolete space and finally, the another new arrival in the town - a mighty and mysterious hacker Isako (Amasawa Yuko) . The plot mainly follows this group of sixth graders as they play around with with AR system and as they investigate the mysterious anomalies that exist within it.

Dennou Coil is a show of two halfs and it's first one is in by no means any rush and takes time, quite a bit of it, to introduce the viewer to its characters, concepts and the setting. Near the middle, there are even a few, strictly episodic outings that show off to the viewer the different kinds of illegals, around whom most of the intrigue in the show is centred. While it cannot be in good conscience said that the story doesn't move forward during those episodes, the pace of that progression is of rather glacial nature. This is only compounded by the fact that during this first half, loads of time is spend on characters who, as time goes on, feature less and less prominently in the pivotal events of the show. As such, the time investment that was put into them feels wasted. Even more so given that Fumie and Daichi were some of the more likeable characters and it's a real shame that there wasn't more time given to their characters later on. On the other hand, the second half of the story, one that I much preferred to the first, quickly picks up the pace and reveals more and more of the inner workings of the AR system, the illegals or of the truth behind Isako's actions. The plot thickens, twists and reveals abound, new parties join in and all of this concludes very satisfyingly in the last few episodes. So much so it probably became one of my favourite endings. The second half of Coil is of course not without its vices: the amount of technobabble eventually becomes overwhelming, the motivations of the main antagonist is quite simplistic and is only very lightly sketched out. At the very end, the show also overused amnesia as a plot device. Not one, not two but three characters suddenly experienced plot convenient memory recovery and in
Megabaa's case
it didn't feel earned. Finally, I was not a very big fond of the ultimate truth behind the origins of Michiko.
Making Isako's jealousy over her brother fester into something so important felt overly tacky and with Isako's frequent Onichaans!, it gave her love for her brother a not very healthy vibe. I'm probably overthinking it and misunderstanding how a kid's mind work, especially given Isako's circumstances, but this still bothered me a bit.

I'll let more competent people speak about where Dennou Coil ranks in terms of quality of animation but suffice to say, it looks really good. It is not a show that thrives on elongated and elaborate action setpieces but even combat action whore like me, could discern and appreciate the amount of effort that was put into facial animation of the characters or even simple movements like running or crouching. The series features loads of CG but as it is used mostly for illustrating some features of the cyber reality, it blends really well with the traditional animation.
The OST is one thing that didn't make that much of an impression on me. While by no means bad, it just simply failed to etch itself into my memory. 2 tracks that I exclude from the above statement are the opening and ending songs. Prism by and Sora no Kakera both by Ayako Ikeda which immediately found their way into my heart.

Dennou Coil is by no means a faultless show but with its refreshingly female and believably kiddy cast, lavish production values and both
heart wrenching and heart warming
conclusion to the very well plotted out story, it is a great and not very common entry in the annals of anime. Being a science-fiction show, it doesn't refrain from commenting on the impact of the technology on our lives but it also doesn't forget about more human related things either. It's themes of
growing up, letting go of the past, acceptance of pain and loss.
may not be particularly novel or ground breaking but like in Tatami Galaxy, the earnest and non-convoluted way in which they are delivered, makes the message of the show all the more memorable and lasting. My affair with Dennou Coil was not love at first sight but after experiencing the whole of it, I can only recommend it heartily to everyone else.

AnimeGAF, nyanpasu, what was that episode 10? Oh my god, OH MY GOD. Kaede and Ren-chon are the cutest in the universe, I love Non Non Biyori so much, I hope we get a third season and I hope the episode 10 is again Kaede X Ren-chon stuff. This anime cleans my soul, man, just watching an episode can completely change my mood for the better :')

Jitsu wa watashi wa was pretty cute, but I'm expecting the next episode to start with the misunderstanding already cleared, so it won't really matter.

Rokka, in the other hand, is a show I just can't take a shot at predicting what will happen. Still have my money on Nachetanya, but only because reasons, I don't know what to think anymore. Every episode they make someone very likely to be the seventh, only to then give you enough to not suspect them anymore. Are we at a point where Goldof is the most likely candidate?

About Ushio to Tora, it was a nice episode, but I hope Saya comes back in the future, the most common crime these "journey shows" commit is never revisiting interesting characters they meet during their journey. I really liked this episode, but I also really hope they get on with the main story already.

To finish my quick impressions of some of the stuff I watched over the weekend, Shokugeki no Soma was so good. Tadokoro is the best, I didn't realize that while reading the manga for whatever reason, but now watching it again, every time Tadokoro has an episode centered on her, I get all emotional, she's just such a good person, haha, I don't really know how to explain, she's so kind TT_TT

The best part is that this image is actually tame compared to what we actually, actually got.
Almost everything in Ushio and Tora comes back by the end. Many come back several times. The ending itself is great at being a culmination of everything the duo went through. It's why it's such a shame a bunch of stories are going to need to be cut to fit it into 39 episodes (They already cut the first Kyoura story, and probably are going to cut the later ones as well given that). Granted there are a few stories that are easier to cut, and maybe even a few things within stories that can't be cut as a whole that can be trimmed away.

Umm,
Since Dec. 2014

Oh, that's around the same time I also started to really get into it, cool!

I'm one of those guys where AoT was the first anime I watched when it actually aired, oh how my tastes have detoriated changed since then.
--------

How did you get your tag btw? I'm kinda curious.

Defuser

The funniest thing was the other night Seda said he was looking to hand out tags in the Toonami thread and they all got super thirsty. It was kind of funny to watch. Everyone wants a good tag, but those are hard to come by...

I remember when Hitokage handed out tags in here...RIP my good man.

Qurupeke

Gintama Timeskip Arc.

Haha, that was just a great arc. So random, just like the Popularity Poll one. Generally, the last few arcs before the end of the original Gintama were just amazing. The cats arc, the Ketsuno Ana arc and, of course, the serious Yoshiwara ones. The show is just amazing, and after 200+ episodes it's still getting better and better.

Oh and Gintoki x Tsukuyo.

With my luck if I were to ever get a tag, I bet it would be for something so stupid or embarrassing so I would just rather stay the way I am lol. I've seen some good ones though.

Cornbread78

I remember when Hitokage handed out tags in here...RIP my good man.

LOL, Thankfully, I wasn't around for that one. I never fished for a tag either, because I'm sure I would have gotten a really bad one along the way...

Oh, that's around the same time I also started to really get into it, cool!
How did you get your tag btw? I'm kinda curious.

It's because I have access to limited retail sales data. There used to be huge debates in the sales threads about numbers posted and such, so Bish gave vetted us and gave us these tags so people stopped asking if we truly have true/reliable data or not. I haven't posted number in awhile, but I really want to look up Aug. sales numbers tomorrow night now, maybe I'll throw them up there.

With my luck if I were to ever get a tag, I bet it would be for something so stupid or embarrassing so I would just rather stay the way I am lol. I've seen some good ones though.

It's usually done by a mod that monitors a community, so in our case, it would be Ducky or Shouta I see visiting here most often.. Be aware, be very aware, they are always watching, lol.

Gbraga

Almost everything in Ushio and Tora comes back by the end. Many come back several times. The ending itself is great at being a culmination of everything the duo went through. It's why it's such a shame a bunch of stories are going to need to be cut to fit it into 39 episodes (They already cut the first Kyoura story, and probably are going to cut the later ones as well given that). Granted there are a few stories that are easier to cut, and maybe even a few things within stories that can't be cut as a whole that can be trimmed away.

It's already feeling a bit too episodic for my tastes, so personally I'm fine with some stuff being cut. Great to know they'll come back. I also miss the main girls, but I guess I can't expect them to get much screen time while Ushio is out of town.

lmao

theres more?

Yup, quite a bit. Not sure if it was ever confirmed they'll animate more, but I hope so, it's great. Though it didn't stop at a bad point at all, so I wouldn't mind if that was the ending.

150 days...? That's unthinkable to me!

Well to be fair even though my MAL joining date is 2009 I have watched anime since maybe 2004 so even before joining I probably had something like 30-40 days already (mainly watched only long running shonen shows during junior high)

It's usually done by a mod that monitors a community, so in our case, it would be Ducky or Shouta I see visiting here most often.. Be aware, be very aware, they are always watching, lol.

Yeah you can never be too careful. :X

Sölf;177943703 said:
People not wanting tags. It's like not wanting to be special and unique. Why.
I am unique in my own way already, no need for tags

rnSTxbf.gif

Cornbread78

Eureka 7 ep. 6-10:
tumblr_nmavscPODv1sgo7k6o2_400.gif

Damn, I guess, we continue to learn more and more about the characters and where Holland got his start and what his crew is really up to. I was surprised they had that kind of background. Looks like next episode I'm finally going to meet the pink haired chick that I keep seeing pictures of. Looks like she plays the bad guy to Eureka in this one...

was in another country for the weekend. Time to catch up

Charlotte10

Wasn't bad but felt like everything went too easy. Kind of boring with little tension

God Eater 7

Ugh I'm this close in dropping this show all interest is lost.

Rokka no Yuusha 10

Like they wanted to try any harder to tell us who the spy is

blurr

Ah Eureka Seven, it's an interesting one. I really liked certain parts of it(the first 10-11 episodes and certain points in the later half) but found the rest of it dull. However as a coming of age story and scifi, it's really good.

I just can't be 100% sure of who it is, Rokka keeps surprising me every week.
Maura, Nachetania and Goldov
are the most suspicious to me, but every time I keep thinking it is one of them for sure, I feel like it is all a "red herring" to throw me off.No I just gave up on pointing fingers and will just watch these 3 closely for the remaining episodes.

Dennou Coil Series Impressions

*snipididoo*

Nice writeup.

My affair with Dennou Coil was not love at first sight but after experiencing the whole of it, I can only recommend it heartily to everyone else.

Everyone heed those words.

I think to some degree I wasn't too bothered with some of the characters getting a bit shafted the second half because it can feel a bit more natural and I don't get the sense that checkhov's gun is at place, where everything happening is vital. Can be quite beneficial to the world building and authenticity, which the first half did well at I'd say. However, that's always a careful balance and I can see your point and agree with it to some degree of course.

The middle episodes sure were some strange ones. All of episode 12 was pretty much a somewhat neat recreation of a certain, well known The Simpsons (and later Futurama) episode. While nice on its own, I don't think I liked the inclusion thereof within the overall story. Especially since it gave the illegals some questionable attributes.

I think my favorite aspect about this show is the design of the cleanup 'entities' (programs really). The juxtaposition of seeing these overly cutely designed and voiced Sacchis firing all destroying laser beams or deploying destructive "Kyuu-Chans" is too good. It's sort of unsettling and makes you ponder if it isn't a bit extreme...but then you have to remind yourself that this is just taking place in the virtual reality, with mostly the glasses at stake.

How ya doing kids?

Gbraga

I just can't be 100% sure of who it is, Rokka keeps surprising me every week.
Maura, Nachetania and Goldov
are the most suspicious to me, but every time I keep thinking it is one of them for sure, I feel like it is all a "red herring" to throw me off.No I just gave up on pointing fingers and will just watch these 3 closely for the remaining episodes.

Are we getting a new OP soon? Since they changed it so quickly. I have no idea why they changed it so fast, but I'm glad they did, the second OP is quite catchy.

Hans is almost 100% beyond doubt for me, or at least he was before Nachetanya mentioned he called her princess and then played it like he didn't know who she was. Though that only says he's lying about something, not that he's the seventh.

And what about the "there must be an eighth too" thing? It's barely being mentioned now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom