• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Glad you guys are talking about Monogatari as I've recently finished seeing the second season and man was it amazing. Every arc was great with each character besides Sugara getting some more character development. With the OP talk it sucks that Shinobu doesn't have her own OP as it'd probably be great. I'll probably write some more thoughts on the season here but man I did a complete 180 on Kaiki from thinking he was a jerk to becoming a wonderful character that carried the ending arc by himself. It's crazy that a show would even think to consider that but it worked as Kaiki elevated the show with his somber life about playing the role as a bad guy. I still think Nandeko is worst girl but their conversation at the end made it all worth it. I just love how all the characters talk with one another yet keeps it interesting with the art direction and cinematography that SHAFT is known for. Kaiki best girl.

And another one sees the light.

The whole reason I like Kaiki so much is because of how well Nisio Isin explored the concept of a card-carrying villain (and used his gig as a con artist to further develop his character). The funny thing was that, in the end, the fake was the one that managed to do what none of the real items could. Like the whole cast of Monogatari, Kaiki starts out like a generic anime stereotype but gets eventually fleshed out into a really interesting character that pushes the envelope of the tropes he represented.

Phatmac

I fully expect some butterfly effects in the next few episodes.

Also that gif is great.

And we still don't know who the hell is Charlotte.
The OP has references to comets and space so I'd guess that a comet named Charlotte crashed and gave teens super powers?? I dunno.

Phatmac

And another one sees the light.

The whole reason I like Kaiki so much is because of how well Nisio Isin explored the concept of a card-carrying villain (and used his gig as a con artist to further develop his character). The funny thing was that, in the end, the fake was the one that managed to do what none of the real items could. Like the whole cast of Monogatari, Kaiki starts out like a generic anime stereotype but gets eventually fleshed out into a really interesting character that pushes the envelope of the tropes he represented.
I never disliked him as I thought he had a great design, music theme, and VA but I just never expected him to break away from his villainous role and defeat the main antagonist by himself. The scene with him and Koyomi was amazing by telling him the harsh truth that Koyomi can't always save the girl and that he'd just cause more damage to her by simply being with her. His speech about his reason for loving money was also brilliant. How could I ever hate a guy who dresses like this?
ZRw6882.jpg
He asked my big question for this series as to where our favorite man Meme is. I mean seriously we need him back!

Phatmac

I can't help but feel like the visual trick used on this opening didn't really amount to anything. It's also a victim of the really lousy snake CG from Monogatari S2. I feel like if I made a list of Shaft's best openings none of Monogatari openings would hack the top five. Why can't we escape this overrated series?
The visual 80's trick is the theme of Nadeko for keeping her love of classic shoujo anime/manga a secret.

zeopower6

I can't help but feel like the visual trick used on this opening didn't really amount to anything. It's also a victim of the really lousy snake CG from Monogatari S2. I feel like if I made a list of Shaft's best openings none of Monogatari openings would hack the top five. Why can't we escape this overrated series?

Because it's not over yet. (and because it brings in the dough, I think it'll be some time before new animated material stops coming out) I do think the hype levels were at critical mass for all of Bake though... with LOTS of people checking out during Nise.

Phatmac

Because it's not over yet. (and because it brings in the dough, I think it'll be some time before new animated material stops coming out) I do think the hype levels were at critical mass for all of Bake though... with LOTS of people checking out during Nise.
It's a shame Nise was kinda lousy for me overall considering how amazing second season is. It makes up for how bad Nise can be at times.

Phatmac

How can a show about a skeleton man be so boring at times? Get this fantasy shit off my screen and get back to more skeleton adventures.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't help but feel like the visual trick used on this opening didn't really amount to anything.
Strongly disagree. It's breaking the fourth wall to communicate how Senjou and Kaiki are still caught up in their shared past. Before Senjou discovered Kaiki was a scam artist, he was something of a savior to her and before Senjou went through the whole Crab thing she was a boilerplate "good girl". This is why the OP has each characters' "80s selves" emerge from the others' heads.

I can only vaguely remember 2 or 3 occasions where gradual art shift in a visual medium was referenced to communicate the passage of time and the concept of nostalgia. Usually it's played off as a gag, like when a show will use sepia filters and projector artifacts to make an "old time-y" joke.

I think it's especially fitting for a series like -monogatari because it's emblematic of 00s anime, with its clean lines, flat shading and subdued colors; the "digital look" if you will. It's using the "Anime then, anime now" joke to show how both Senjou and Kaiki romanticize their past to a certain extent, and why they're willing to work together behind Araragi's back for this one special occasion.

Yeah the CG is awful I can't excuse that at all.

Why can't we escape this overrated series?
Never.

Strongly disagree. It's breaking the fourth wall to communicate how Senjou and Kaiki are still caught up in their shared past. Before Senjou discovered Kaiki was a scam artist, he was something of a savior to her and before Senjou went through the whole Crab thing she was a boilerplate "good girl". This is why the OP has each characters' "90s selves" emerge from the others' heads.

It's more 80s than 90s.

Yeah the CG is awful I can't excuse that at all.

The CG in the Koimonogatari OP is so simple and stylized, and it fits so perfectly into the overall visual style of the places where it is used, that I can't see any problems with it.

Quasar

Tried out Japanese netflix. Suppose I should not have expected to be able to turn on english subtitles. A bit disappointed.

Baalzebup

Gundam SEED - 32

Did Flay just say that
Rau had the voice of her father? Really?

Also, new Gundam upgrade time. Yes.

That is a weird little detail. I assume you're watching the HD remaster versions. In the original ones, they really did have the same VA. For some reason, they re-recorded the daddys few lines with a new VA.
There is no connection between the characters. Flay is just flaking out because of the stress and whatnot.

And yes, Freedom is a sweet ride.
Comes with an Aimbot and all. \o/

Jintor

Non Non Biyori Repeat 10

Like, holy shit. I was smiling so hard this entire episode. The shot with Candy Store standing there as Renge bicycles off... fuck, my heart.

This show's so good.

Also I feel like I understood maybe 60-70% of the japanese which is nice

wonzo

Banned
mgsv

the first real game to expand upon mgs2's thematic underpinning, funny it's in a sequel of all things. a masterpiece

B.O.O.M

Overlord

I absolutely love this anime/story/characters etc. But the anime is missing some really cool story details compared to the LN

Hmmm, I looked up the arc names for Owarimonogatari, seems like this is going to be a long season.

Don't really know what to think about the arcs, one seems really interesting though.

phaze

Haibane Renmei 02
A walled off city with no contact with the rest of world except through one guy with creepy mask from organisation that also controls Haibanes ? Well that isn't ominous at all. In before the aureoles are some kind of tracking and control devices.

blurr

Haibane Renmei 02

A walled off city with no contact with the rest of world except through one guy with creepy mask from organisation that also controls Haibanes ? Well that isn't ominous at all. In before the aureoles are some kind of tracking and control devices.

Okay, it might come off as thinking too much/deeply:
I did question the whole setting on how it makes little sense initially but then it occurred to me that the same goes for my life(born into the planet without knowing why, what or how, much like Haibane) and humanity being stuck on planet earth(walled off city with no contact), surprisingly correlated with the setting a lot although not *entirely* but that's fine. Despite so many obscure things we encounter in life, we chose to adjust and accept it so I looked at Haibane's setting as an abstract representation of our own lives than having meaning of its own.

Ayumi

Hm, Sailor Moon R movie is on Netflix JP. :3

Btw MikeHattsu, I tried Madoka and
I'm really sorry but it bored me even just 1 eposode in. lol

Ayumi

Keep watching. I insist.
Does it get better? I'm starting to think no anime is for me. Too sucked into Sailor Moon. 。:゚(。ノω\。)゚・。

But I really want to enjoy something else!

blurr

Does it get better? I'm starting to think no anime is for me. Too sucked into Sailor Moon. 。:゚(。ノω\。)゚・。

Just 12 episodes. It's a true magical girl anime, I'll tell you that.

You can try something different after this :)

Edit: Zero reason to get tags because Ayumi seems to have the best tag there is :(

Sölf

Watch until the end of EP 3. If you are not intrigued by that, I don't know.

Sölf

Zetsuen no Tempest 15
Well, probably the funniest episode yet, which was pretty suprising considering the tone of this show, lol. Seems like next episode is somewhat back to normal.

mgsv

the first real game to expand upon mgs2's thematic underpinning, funny it's in a sequel of all things. a masterpiece

MGS5
(my first MGS)

God that was a long, slow, turgid prologue. It had some cool moments here and there with the horror angle of innocents being butchered right and left in a hospital while you are defenceless, but as I say it went too long.
And why Big Boss is Gordon Freeman. It's so unnatural having only two characters on screen, you and other one, he talks to you but the MC doesn't talk.

Ace of the Diamond Second Season Episode 23 – School Academic Level
tumblr_nucsrgdo3F1snkggso5_500.gif

Best moment outside of the sparkling balls, and eijun sending the balls to Haruicchi.

This game really picked up second half, Im liking it. And good for team Kanemaru Toujo

Kaiji [Completed S1]

Conceptually I was quite interested but ultimately only had an alright experience.

Besides Kaiji few of the characters really shined, in fact, it was usually readily apparent who'd just serve as backseat fodder. The different types of games and gambles were decent but the presentation they choose to go with in this show made most of these very predictable. The narration is the single most annoying aspect of this show by far. In a horribly redundant manner the narration spells out everything you're already aware of, while also trying to hype it up - failing to do so badly.

I dunno, psychological aspects were quite interesting to follow, but I would've liked to be more invested in the games and feel some real thrill.

5/10...or maybe 6/10 with the nice OP/ED and at least quite strong final episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom