• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Umaru 10

This is why we don't want online only consoles. Because the younger generation can't figure out how to insert a single-player only game. Bomber seems to be a loyal Konami customer. I think the saddest part of the series is that Taihei seems like he'd be so much more successful at life than he is, but he's in the same position as Bomber. I'm not familiar with Japanese salarymen, but I suspect that's not too unrealistic.

Taihei obviously needs to consider boning his boss to get ahead

Yes.

The manga is fantastic, and the anime captures the feeling of the manga pretty damn faithfully.

Everyone should read the manga. And I guessssss watch the anime.

(The ED is better.)

In at least one way the anime surpasses the manga: the rearrangement and expansion of the story comprising episode 12, which gives it greater emotional resonance and provides a perfect ending for the series.

Russ T

Banned
In at least one way the anime surpasses the manga: the rearrangement and expansion of the story comprising episode 12, which gives it greater emotional resonance and provides a perfect ending for the series.

It's been a while, so to be honest, I'm not sure what you're talking about. And when I watched it, it had been a long while since I'd read that part of the manga, so I was unaware of any differences, probably.

I will say that I couldn't really care less about the series ever having an ending, hah. I like that it just keeps going and telling stories about these people. There's a tiiiiny bit of Big Plot, but it's so inconsequential, and it's kind of nice to read a manga that doesn't continuously feel compelled drive a story forward.

But uh I guess that's the manga. Like I said, it's been a while since I watched the anime. Either way, I definitely remember it being good! So hey!

EDIT: Ah, that episode. Yeah, I'm unaware of what the differences are, but I can see how a rearrangement within could lead to a nice ending for the series. :)

Gundam SEED - 34

Oh man, are they going to go the Code Geass route with this (I know that's not really appropriate considering Code Geass took a lot from UC Gundam as well from what I've heard but still) and have Kira form some kind of rebellion squad with the crew?

John Blade

tumblr_m63z1cCeeB1qjgqf1o4_1280.png

Yup, just finish this show few days ago and need to let it sink in a bit and watch a bit in area which doesn’t make sense. Also, did watch this show in English dub based on people recommendation which is a God sense which I talk about a bit later. Lastly, I did some reading about this show online from review to video of one of the voice actress who play one of the character of the show and explain of how the show got to where it was. In the end, it come down to if I like the show or not. In quick response, the show is really bad from the point in the storyline, dialogue and character development. But Ghost Stories redeem itself almost completely by taking a bad show and make it almost decent good just by the dub itself. Still, I guess I will post my long impression of this show below.

Ghost+stories+compilation+these+are+all+from+the+actual+dub_5b4348_5502409.jpg

The main story of this show is you follow Satuski and her brother, Keiichirou, moving back with her father to her deceased mother town and home. Along the way, their saw an old abandoned school where her mother and father use to study. On the first day of school, Satuski, her brother, and their new friends manage to go into the abandoned school because her cat ran into it for no reason. When in there, they found out the school buildings is actually haunted by ghost. This ghost are actually to be sealed off by Satuski’s mother when she was a student there. This sealed was broken when they were construction taking place beside the abandoned school setting the ghost free and roamed inside the school. Satuski manage to seal one of the major ghost which was chasing them around with the book her mother wrote of how to seal the same ghost she seal when she was a student there. Fortunately, the seal work and ghost was taken down but it’s now inside the cat body and can talk to them. From there, Satuski and her new friends she have along with her brother join together to fight the ghost that is set free with the help with her mother diary of stopping the ghost.

For story wise, it’s a meh territory for me. Nothing too crazy to say to tell the truth and a bit bland. You notice this quite a bit as you continue watching. In some area of the show, it might feel dried and boring as nothing catch your attention at all and you notice this a bit around the beginning and around of three quarter of the show.Also, there is no consistent storyline as you continue watching the show mostly because it follow an episodic style.This might not be bad if your show is very long (aka: 50 episodes+) and fans who miss an episode will still have a good idea of what is happening. For Ghost Stories, the show is actually short at that time and some sort of consistent storyline will help this show greatly in both plot and character development. Still, you do need to remember who this show is targeting to at that time. This show is targeting to the younger kids and not to teenager or younger adult. For this reason, the story have to be tone down a bit for them to understand the basic idea and this episodic style show work well for the younger children. Unfortunately, the lacking in the storyline and plot department make this show feel like a Japanese version of Scooby Doo. Whether this is good or bad will depend on your expectation of the show and how you watch it.

Ghost_c03040_5502409.jpg

Another issue I am have with this show is the lack of character development. They is literally nothing to say about the characters you’re following in the show as they is no character development at all except for the basic two dimensional personalities you gather when watching it. This is bad as you want to have some sort of connection with the characters in the show or else you don’t really care if anyone of them will be alive or not. Unfortunately with the limited development here, I don’t really care about anyone except the cat. Like the show try to pull some emotional string few times but all doesn’t work as you don’t really have any bonding between them. Kinda sad as if they do try to have some personalities and maybe good development of their past life, I might care a bit. For now, they’re death to me in my heart.

Third issue I notice in the show is how it start to fall apart. It feel like the people who make the show just gave up around the three quarter of the show and literally fuck it from there. You start to see weird stuff that doesn’t make sense, plot twists which I have no clue about, and the story start to get bad and boring as you continue watching. It kinda sad as from the start, it feel like there is potential to be somewhat an okay show. Unfortunately, when you start to notice the issue, you start to realize the show won’t be as great as you hope for.

Ghost_4c0318_5502409.jpg

For a show that was release in 2000s, it kinda funny to see how bad the animation look like today. I just can’t believe any kids at that time would want to watch this over another kid show like Monster Rancher for example. The background animation look okay in some area but the character animation is very bad for the most part. They also bring in some CG animation but you only see this when the characters are running away from the ghost (walkway of the school for example) and even when you see it, it look very odd and didn’t feel right for some reason. Also, they is some animation error you notice here and there.

For the music, it didn’t fair as well. It’s mostly generic music which work when it need to be in the scene but nothing catch your attention and because it’s generic, you don’t remember much about it. The only music tune I kinda remember is when they use the sad music for the sad scene in the show. Not because it make the scene sad but because of how the dub modify it to make it funny which make that music stick out a bit.

Ghost_0318cd_5502409.jpg

From all this issue I can gather from this show, I now understand why this show didn’t do well in Japan and why it bomb hard in DVD sell. No one like the show period. Literally, why watch this show at all when they’re better kids show that was shown at that time like Monster Rancher or Pokemon for example. Why would AnimeGaf here in North America or Europe or other western country want to watch this bad show? The big reason and literally the only reason all the people who heard about this show go watch it is the infamous ADV dub.

From what I gather over the internet, this show wasn’t suppose to be release in North America. The reason it get here is because it was bundled with other Anime show which ADV have to bring it into North America (basically, if you bring a good Animated show in North America at that time, you will need to bring in 2-3 average or bad anime show with it together or no deal). That is normal and ADV might just make an average dub for this show based on the main script and release it in the market and most people will forget about this show in few months or a year (and they will as the show is bad). What happened next make this show famous. The people who make the show don’t really care of what happened to this show except they want to break even in the cost. So, ADV did something which never been done before which is modify the storyline dialogue of the show and literally change everything except the storyline of the show.

Ghost_3a37eb_5502409.jpg

To me, this english dub make the show that is stale and boring to watch, become more enjoyable. One of the change ADV did to the dub is the change in the character personality. You make the main female character (Satsuki) a bitch, Leo a jewish with quite a bit Jewish stereotype in the show, Hajime the next door neighbour who is even more pervert, Kechiro a retard brother of Satsuki who talk gibberish quite a bit during the show, and famous character in the show, Monica who is a devout christian fundamentalist who keep preaching christianity to her friend in the show and keep nagging them to convert into Christian which happened few time in the show.

Another change in the dubbing is how many random jokes they used in this show. Most of this joke can range from poking fun of Republican or Bush or famous people at that time. Sometime it take it one step further by literally do an entire episode with quite a bit sexual innuendo to one of the character in the episode all the way. Other time, they have clever one liners or running gags in the show if you catch it. In the end, this joke or pun make the show even more fun and alter the show into comedy as how much it alter the show when ADV make the dub for it.

In the end, would I recommend people to watch this show? In short, yes but they is a catch. I would recommend AnimeGaf to watch this show only to see how far the dub go in the jokes department. Really, that is the only reason you will watch this show. If you’re going into the show to try to understanding the story and maybe see how well the character developed, you will leave disappointing or mostly likely stop watching it in few episodes as how boring the show was. That’s how I feel when watching this show. The more you try to understand the story, the more you feel the show suck. It’s better to leave your brain at the door and just go in watching how good the dub did to this show. If you follow that, you will like the show much more than it should in the end.
Ghost_002d7e_5502409.jpg

Hah the Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru OP is a cover of a Tats Yamashita track, Downtown. Man I love his music.
Ahh the song from Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru OP. I still love the original music for it and do listen to it once a while. Very cheerful music.

It's been a while, so to be honest, I'm not sure what you're talking about. And when I watched it, it had been a long while since I'd read that part of the manga, so I was unaware of any differences, probably.

I will say that I couldn't really care less about the series ever having an ending, hah. I like that it just keeps going and telling stories about these people. There's a tiiiiny bit of Big Plot, but it's so inconsequential, and it's kind of nice to read a manga that doesn't continuously feel compelled drive a story forward.

But uh I guess that's the manga. Like I said, it's been a while since I watched the anime. Either way, I definitely remember it being good! So hey!

EDIT: Ah, that episode. Yeah, I'm unaware of what the differences are, but I can see how a rearrangement within could lead to a nice ending for the series. :)

Right, it's not about wrapping up some Big Plot but putting a capstone on the themes the series deals with, specifically about the impact Hotori has on the people in her life and how the shopping district works together as a supportive community. The anime additions come mainly in the most powerful scene of the episode:
when Hotori looks through the binoculars and sees the people she left behind on Earth dealing with their grief over her accident.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ugh, GundamInfo finally puts Gundam Unicorn up on their youtube channel and I finish watching episode one, then I try to load episode 2 and it says the uploader has not made it available in your country (USA). Then I check ep 3 and it loads fine but I don't want to skip around between episodes... :(

Ugh, GundamInfo finally puts Gundam Unicorn up on their youtube channel and I finish watching episode one, then I try to load episode 2 and it says the uploader has not made it available in your country (USA). Then I check ep 3 and it loads fine but I don't want to skip around between episodes... :(

Hey man, come on, cheer up.

You got a new Gundam to look forward to this fall, that might be only half as terrible as Gundam Reconguista in G was....you know...

...if you're lucky.

Cornbread78

Ore Monogatari ep.23
Well, that is the first episode in the series thar made me feel like shit by the end. Now we have to wait two weeks to see how it ends... Poor Takeo... I remember those feels, then you get married for a while and my attitude became the opposite, lol.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hey man, come on, cheer up.

You got a new Gundam to look forward to this fall, that might be only half as terrible as Gundam Reconguista in G was....you know...

...if you're lucky.

I've never seen Reconguista in G, just wanna watch Unicorn :(
oh well

I've never seen Reconguista in G, just wanna watch Unicorn :(
oh well

Well assuming that they get the video up and running, Unicorn is actually pretty good. Save for one episode.

I think you'll like it.

Also, save yourself the time, don't watch Reconguista in G.

Ore Monogatari ep.23
Well, that is the first episode in the series thar made me feel like shit by the end. Now we have to wait two weeks to see how it ends... Poor Takeo... I remember those feels, then you get married for a while and my attitude became the opposite, lol.
LOL at the last bit.

But yeah I felt like crap too, poor guy is in the middle of the storm, and he was already having his doubts. Man no matter their size, anyone in his shoes would feel like shit. And that 2 week wait is gonna kill me. God Eater hurts enough already.

Gundam SEED - 35

So just so I understand everything:

ZAFT: Killing all the naturals.
Earth Forces: "With us or against us!"
Flay: With ZAFT.
Lacus: A fugitive.
Athrun: Also a fugitive.
Kira and co: Fugitives with some new Gundams.
What happens next: ???

Squishy3

Yuri Saijin Naoko-San (2010)

Well, that was short.

Edit: Oh, new Gintama episode! What a weird world! Was planning to watch the second Naoko-san OVA but I guess I know what I'm watching now.

Baalzebup

Gundam SEED - 35

So just so I understand everything:

ZAFT: Killing all the naturals.
Earth Forces: "With us or against us!"
Flay: With ZAFT.
Lacus: A fugitive.
Athrun: Also a fugitive.
Kira and co: Fugitives with some new Gundams.
What happens next: ???

Umm, Athrun
helped out with the hit-squad, but he is still an elite ZAFT member who was just given Freedoms sister unit, Justice, and is off to do the assignment his daddy just gave him. Definitely not a fugitive.

Jarmel

Banned
Selector WIXOSS 4-8
HAHAHAHAHA 10/10 Blessed is Okada! My lord and savior delivers. A better Faustian pyramid scheme than anything I could have come up with. Makes Kyubey look like a honest salesman.
oosvRPF.jpg

Scar is kinda hot tho
Now this right here is some bullshit though. My understanding is that you're supposed to forget your time as a Selector as evidenced by whatshername forgetting and the show constantly stating that. However Akilucky still clearly remembers, which is in some ways more delicious trauma-wise. Okada surpassed my expectations with this as I surmised that everyone would just forget Akira and move on, as evidenced by her handlers not giving a damn about her. However the show goes the extra mile and makes her disfigure her own face. Amazing. Now I want to point out how insane this conversation is:
Holy shit. A brother near the same age is always with his sister. My god, this show is giving me such insight into familial perceptions.
After you accuse him and his sister of incest. What the fuck. This is like bizzaro land. Does Okada have a brother? I think she's trying to resolve some inner turmoil. How is someone's first reaction to a brother hanging out with his sister that they're fucking each other? How?!?
Flawless logic. I can't...

Cornbread78

D Frag ep. 7-9
Ok, still lots of laughs (that sporting event was hilarious), but I never thought I'd be getting into a love triangle/drama eith the two club leaders and even imouto is stuck in it now as they both try to suck up to her to get closer to onee-chan lol.

I'm curious. Are you enjoying Seed?

While it was received really well in Japan, it seems like its earned quite a bit of ire here in the US.

I watched half of it when it was airing in the US, but never finished it.

I'm actually finding myself really enjoying it.

The first half had its issues, but the second half is definitely picking things up.

Umm, Athrun
helped out with the hit-squad, but he is still an elite ZAFT member who was just given Freedoms sister unit, Justice, and is off to do the assignment his daddy just gave him. Definitely not a fugitive.

Huh,
I thought word got out that he helped Lacus escape. Like I know everyone at the scene was killed, but I figured ZAFT would have figured it out somehow and there'd be a later scene that showed his father hearing the news. Looks like I stand corrected then, haha.

John Blade

Just wondering for people here who watch His and Her Circumstances. Should I watch this show in Eng dub or Jap dub? Kinda notice the English dub sound fine from the 1st episode and also, they're too many stuff on the screen that is hard to read while at the same time try to read the subtitle if I go with Japanese dub.

Nafe

Selector WIXOSS 4-8

HAHAHAHAHA 10/10 Blessed is Okada! My lord and savior delivers. A better Faustian pyramid scheme than anything I could have come up with. Makes Kyubey look like a honest salesman.

Holy shit. A brother near the same age is always with his sister. My god, this show is giving me such insight into familial perceptions.

After you accuse him and his sister of incest. What the fuck. This is like bizzaro land. Does Okada have a brother? I think she's trying to resolve some inner turmoil. How is someone's first reaction to a brother hanging out with his sister that they're fucking each other? How?!?

Flawless logic. I can't...

Yeah, the reaction to the brother sister thing was pretty silly. Speaking of that and checking back and episode 4 was the one I thought it was. I still remember madp's post about it and found it from last April here,haha.
I wonder if he knows whether you're watching the show or not.
Wixoss is good times,haha.

Consider the mind of Mari Okada, where
Akira, a psychopathic fashion model who wants to duel against the protagonist Ruko, lies to several of Ruko's classmates that Ruko is her friend and tells them that she'll let them tour her studio if they can pressure Ruko into going to the studio by telling her about Akira's promise with the added implication that Akira is expecting them to visit. When Ruko's friend sees through the plot and refuses to allow Ruko to go with the girls, the girls explode with rage, culminating in a school-wide frenzied pursuit of Ruko and her friend by numerous crazed girls who are now willing to kidnap a fellow classmate at school during school hours in broad daylight. Ruko and her friend have to hide in the gym storage shed to avoid capture but are found and forcibly taken to Akira anyway. This massive coordinated aggression against a student is not met with the slightest bit of surprise, opposition, or reprimand by anyone.

Because, you know, this is just one of those things that happens between high school girls.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, the reaction to the brother sister thing was pretty silly. Speaking of that and checking back and episode 4 was the one I thought it was. I still remember madp's post about it and found it from last April here,haha.
I wonder if he knows whether you're watching the show or not.
Wixoss is good times,haha.

Not to mention they forcibly try to abduct a student in front of a teacher, whom they personally insult. What the hell?

Nafe

Not to mention they forcibly try to abduct a student in front of a teacher, whom they personally insult. What the hell?

Yeah. I'm wondering how the new Gundam is going to end up with Okada apparently writing,haha.

You haven't seen M3:The Dark Metal right? Wonder what you'd think of that show.
Not as good as Wixoss but it still has its silly melodrama at times.

Nafe

It'll be memorable!

Have Okada as the writer, Tomino as the director and Kawamori as the mech designer.
Now that would be one memorable Gundam,haha.

Was it Turn A Gundam that just got a Blu-Ray release not that long ago? I might have to look at watching that one as I know nothing about it but it's supposed to be silly?

Jarmel

Banned
Selector WIXOSS-9
mcKXrd4.jpg

No shit Sherlock. Did you expect one to sleep in a cardboard box on the street?
Alright now I'm somewhat confused. I understand the body swap stuff but why does Hanayo have Yuzuki's memories? Wut. When you do body swaps like this, the replacement should be limited to memories either they directly experienced or recounted to by others. Instead the show has direct flashbacks to Yuzuki's childhood that imply Hanayo has Yuzuki's memories. Then Hanayo's reactions and body language seem like that she's happy Kazuki wants to bone her. Why would Hanayo care that much? You just bodyjacked another person, and instead of living it up you do exactly what they would have done. huh?
44wQXST.jpg

These episode titles and placement are almost to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia quality.
I do find it deliciously poetic that Hitoe is back in the game using Yuzuki. What are the odds of that? That has to be only slightly harder than getting a hologram Charizard back in the day.

Was it Turn A Gundam that just got a Blu-Ray release not that long ago? I might have to look at watching that one as I know nothing about it but it's supposed to be silly?

If you mean in the states, it was released on DVD here by rightstuf.

...Maybe I should watch WIXOSS.

...It does seem like a show for people who hate themselves, so it should be right up my alley.

Narag

Have Okada as the writer, Tomino as the director and Kawamori as the mech designer.
Now that would be one memorable Gundam,haha.

What dreams are made of.

Yeah, it did and it's kinda silly but it's more about this optimistic tone that permeates through it compared to other entries into the franchise that are just full of themselves.

Saudades

I'm actually finding myself really enjoying it.

The first half had its issues, but the second half is definitely picking things up.
Yeah the second half is undoubtedly better. Not only does Kira stop being a whiny crybaby (not saying Kira's godmode savior is any better, but it's less annoying at least), but the battles are more exciting to watch too.
Hope you're watching the Remastered version.

I'm curious. Are you enjoying Seed?

While it was received really well in Japan, it seems like its earned quite a bit of ire here in the US.

I watched half of it when it was airing in the US, but never finished it.
Dunno how well-received it was, but if we're just talking about sales then Destiny was well-received too.

Nafe

...Maybe I should watch WIXOSS.

...It does seem like a show for people who hate themselves, so it should be right up my alley.

Personally I didn't really get the whole "hate watch" thing that was a real fad in the thread for a time (and honestly found it annoying enough to just start skipping posts). Wixoss maybe has a lot of silly writing but I thought it was legitimately really entertaining.

What dreams are made of.

I wonder if anybody ever made any sense of G-Reco,haha.
I thought it was posted here in the thread but if not, there was some interview or something where even Tomino acknowledged it was confusing,haha.

If you mean in the states, it was released on DVD here by rightstuf.

Yeah, it did and it's kinda silly but it's more about this optimistic tone that permeates through it compared to other entries into the franchise that are just full of themselves.

Hm, taking a look at the official webpage and it looks like the Blu-Ray version was released at the end of last year in Japan. I guess it was the rightstuf release I saw people mention and didn't realize it was DVD only. Wonder if there's any indication of another Blu-Ray release then.

Okay. I guess I'll see what I think of it whenever I get to it.

Jarmel

Banned
Selector WIXOSS-10
vKSrVGI.gif

I can't stop laughing! What difference does it make if someone else is using your body to give handjobs to your brother compared to any other hussy on the streets? Hanayo giving this bullshit headnod like she's doing Yuzuki a favor blew my mind. In fact that should make Yuzuki even saltier once she realizes someone else is giving head to her brother.

Oh and

Oops.

blurr

Ghost Stories gets a lot of slack for its English dub but it's honestly one of my favorites. I watched it about 10 years ago on animax, I enjoyed every single episode. Animax gave its own dub so I didn't find it so bad. I haven't seen any horror anime that manages to give you the chills like Ghost stories tbh. Granted, it may have aged poorly.

Cornbread78

Umaru-chan ep.10
Another funny episode. Random things going on like; she had a classic battle with the cold germs and an awesome way to defeat the emery by jamming the onion stick in it'd butt.... Ouch. The big bro flashback, the lunches.

Other than that, this is the first episode you could clearly see was coming from multiple chapters of manga because it felt disjointed and like thete were 4 seperate arcs all in the same episode..

Gundam SEED - 38

Yep, just as I thought, they're teaming up. Yeeeessss.

And we're given the shocking reveal that
Kira and Cagalli are brother and sister
. Or at least it would have been shocking, had it not been for my tendency to scroll down to read the YouTube comments twenty something episodes ago!

(I'm watching the remastered version on Gundaminfo's official Youtube channel, by the way)

Bakemonogatari 08

Damn, didn't really expect good looking animation from that Kanbaru and Ararararararararararagi "fight." Also didn't expect such extreme violence, she practically did a fatality on him. Physical violence escalates further!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom