• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
Gate delayed again till tomorrow morning. I believe it did air in Japan so I wonder what is going on because this is 2 weeks in a row. Maybe Japan is late giving CR the material.

javac

New info:
Full Metal Panic - Ultimate Edition (Seasons 1-3)
Release Date: 7th December 2015
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Subtitles: English
Run Time: 1200 min
Format:
BD (£113.90) @ Amazon.UK
BD (£99.99): Zavvi
Contains:
  • Full Metal Panic Season 1 (3 x Blu-ray discs)
  • Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (2 x Blu-ray discs) [Exclusive to Ultimate Edition]
  • Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid (2 x Blu-ray discs)
  • 76 page Hard Back Artbook
Extras:
  • Season 1:
  • Complete Season, Episodes 1-24
  • Jakoichi Chigara x Shouji Gatou Special Interview
  • Japanese Piracy Warnings
  • Original TV Spots
  • Textless Songs

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (aka Season 2):
  • Complete Season, Episodes 1-12
  • Original Japanese TV Spots
  • Textless Songs

Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid (aka Season 3):
  • Complete season, Episodes 1-13
  • Bonus Episode 000
  • Bonus OVA episode
  • Dawn of the Light Novel
  • Location Scouting in Hong Kong (Parts 1 – 7)
  • Textless Songs
Details:
  • The episodes from all three seasons can be viewed with either the English language dub or the original Japanese audio with subtitles. The extras however are generally in Japanese with subtitles only.
  • For those not aware, Season 1 and Fumoffu were both animated before 16:9 became the standard format for anime, so both seasons are in 4:3 ratio but upconverted to 1080p. When watching any episodes from these seasons the footage is Pillarboxed, meaning it will be displayed with blackbars at the side to retain the original display ratio of the picture. (For those of you who have watched our release of Cowboy Bebop, it’s exactly the same as that for exactly the same reasons.) Both of those seasons are upscaled but if we do say ourselves we think they both look fantastic considering that.
  • For those of you interested, the three discs for Season 1 (3 x discs total) are all BD50s. Then for both Fumoffu (2 x discs total) and The Second Raid (2 x discs total) the first disc is a BD50 and the second a BD25.
  • This is the first time that Full Meta Panic: The Second Raid is being released in the UK, and the first time that the first season and Fumoffu will be available on Blu-ray in the UK.
  • Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu is exclusive to this Ultimate Edition Blu-ray release, and will not be available individually in the UK at a later date. For those wondering, we are exploring making Season 1 and The Second Raid available individually in some form at a later date, but we have no time frame on if/when this might be.
Pictures:
PR3BGdc.jpg

5Mnec2k.jpg

dOe7STC.jpg

oqEU6TU.jpg

Crocodile

Looks like a PV for the latest Evangelion movie got leaked. Looks weird but that's Anno for ya. https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=07&v=YrKMiE9WII0&feature=youtu.be

Well played, you got me <3

Prison School 10

Well this was by far the best episode yet. It's a shame this is ending just as it's getting to better material.

Well I mean the whole second arc has been better than the first arc and this season will only cover the first arc. That's not a surprise. Speaking of which I need to catch up on the PS anime, I fell a few episodes behind.

Ushio and Tora 11

As to remind everybody as to who the true waifu of Ushio is, we have this episode with convenient teletransportation.

Decent episode. I hope we get back into the dark and gritty plot heavy episodes again. Also Tora continues to be wonderfully tsundere, while whats her face really needs to get past her tsundere phase.

Squalor

MGSV

The plot of this game feels like filler saga in Naruto.

Shit just doesn't make sense, and what's added adds nothing.
You actually thought a prequel that covers the time period it does was going to add any imperative plot? Come on.

This game is about the experience and the characters, and it does an amazing job with both of those things.

Hell, plot- and story-wise, this is probably the easiest-to-understand Metal Gear Solid there is.

You actually thought a prequel that covers the time period it does was going to add any imperative plot? Come on.

This game is about the experience and the characters, and it does an amazing job with both of those things.

Hell, plot- and story-wise, this is probably the easiest-to-understand Metal Gear Solid there is.

I don't care that it's easy to understand. I don't care that the story actively makes plot holes, while filling in old ones that didn't need to be answers.

I care that the entire story is a metaphor.

No story should just be a metaphor.

Gameplay wise it's fantastic, save for the lack of good bosses.

Don't play MGSV with any expectations for its writing.

It's not so much the writing quality, so much as consistency.

MGS3's story, despite its myriad of issues, was a genuinely enjoyable story.

Crocodile

N8z6gCJ.jpg

The new Dragon Ball Super character looks pretty cool

:p <3

For those who don't know that's the newest Street Fighter character Rashid

Cornbread78

Medoka Box ep.1-2
tumblr_n7al30p2zQ1qk5qxgo1_500.gif

Well, this isn't startign off half bad. It's been in my queue for awhile now, so I decided to check it out this afternoon and I kinda dig it so far. A little big on the ecchi side, but the overall theme has been funny and Medoka appears interesting enough. At least the main two (childhood friends) don't appear afraid of liking one another, but I'm sure that is not the focus at all in this one..

Priz

BTW, not sure if you guys know about this (I searched and didn't see anything), but a friend of a friend made this search engine (like canistream.it) but for anime - http://because.moe/

For when you're having nostalgia and want to watch a classic series but can't remember where you can see it. :)

Squalor

I don't care that it's easy to understand. I don't care that the story actively makes plot holes, while filling in old ones that didn't need to be answers.

I care that the entire story is a metaphor.

No story should just be a metaphor.

Gameplay wise it's fantastic, save for the lack of good bosses.
That's simply untrue that "no story should just be a metaphor." The entire tradition of storytelling was for allegorical and metaphorical purposes.

Whether you like it is another issue, but it's certainly not an objective problem.

If you're looking at the overarching story, yes, it's certainly metaphorical, but there are many smaller arcs within the game that are much more personal and driven by narrative as opposed to ultimately making a statement.
It's not so much the writing quality, so much as consistency.

MGS3's story, despite its myriad of issues, was a genuinely enjoyable story.
From a mood and tone standpoint, this is the most consistent Metal Gear Solid I've ever played, and I've played them all.

phaze

Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold 12
Best horror anime of 2015. For a moment, I thought they were going to do some kind of reset and make poor Aiolia and me, traverse this shit yet again, for 12 more episodes. It was pretty entertaining in other regards too:

- Ridiculous plot twists and keikakus.
- Asspull power-ups.
-Animation looked less shit than usual
-Gilga voice actor continuing to ham it up.
-The sheer amount of "people die but they're not killed" and the fact that Gilga tfu Loki is going to be done in by that.
-Pisces for once not jobbing and saving the entire world instead.

Thought this might end with this one but they prolonged it well enough to make it last for one more episode. 2 more weeks till freedom.

Squalor

BTW, not sure if you guys know about this (I searched and didn't see anything), but a friend of a friend made this search engine (like canistream.it) but for anime - http://because.moe/

For when you're having nostalgia and want to watch a classic series but can't remember where you can see it. :)
Cool site. You guys did a good job.

That name, though: &#3232;_&#3232;

Ascheroth

Medoka Box ep.1-2
Well, this isn't startign off half bad. It's been in my queue for awhile now, so I decided to check it out this afternoon and I kinda dig it so far. A little big on the ecchi side, but the overall theme has been funny and Medoka appears interesting enough. At least the main two (childhood friends) don't appear afraid of liking one another, but I'm sure that is not the focus at all in this one..

The problem with Medaka Box is that the second season just ends right after the best character is introduced.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with Medaka Box is that it's Medaka Box. I like Bakemonogatari for what it is, but Medaka Box was nonsense.

Medaka Box is a...confusing manga/anime for me, as far as whether I like it or not. If you asked me straight up, I'd say "Yes" but with big caveats. The plot is almost entirely nonsensical and the turn from school comedy to battle manga is a fucking breakneck one. Sometimes shit just happens. That's all I can really say to that. Shit just happens and you go "okay" and that's the anime.

But the humor is amusing, the powers are creative and silly and rarely are battles ever based around straight power since every fight is basically a mind game or play on words or fucking who knows sometimes.

It's just an explosion of "uh...sure...okay" and you are along for the ride. Sometimes it really really works and the fights are imaginative and crazy and awesome. And sometimes it REALLY REALLY doesn't and you have no fucking idea what is even happening anymore and then it ends stupidly and you just kinda don't know what that manga even was.

Idolmaster CG 22

Wow there are so many characters. I don't even know the name of the girl who had a panic attack. The book idol? Sad that Ranko and Koume will never get an episode together, that 15 seconds is probably the best we will get.

Good episode. That ending though, Uzuki ;_;

MGS V's themes are just lame versions of the ones from 1984. Kojima bit off more then he could chew doing that.

Squalor

Yes, Kojima couldn't fully realize the everything he wanted in a perfect manner so he shouldn't have tried at all.

There's no moving a medium forward with your attitudes.

Of course Metal Gear Solid V isn't 1984. The best video games are never going to be as well written as the best books, but the same goes for every other medium.

"Lame" is certainly an overstatement, though.

It's not even as though the majority of the things in 1984 were new. Orwell had plenty of people ahead of him who were ambitious with the same kinds of motifs and themes, but could never attain the consistency and comprehensive greatness of his novel.

Without those "forefathers," of sorts, there likely wouldn't have been a 1984 in the way we know it.

Mailbox

The biggest problem with medaka Box is that the first 2 seasons are just so damn different (though enjoyable) that watching them back to back feels like watching different shows altogether. That and it ended horribly with the worst sequel tease I have ever seen.

Priz

Been way too busy as of late to visit this thread until today. ^_^;;

Currently watching GATE, Charlotte and Wakakozake. Discovered the last one a few weeks ago, really loving it (as I'm a foodie)!

Went to SacAnime last weekend as a DJ friend from MOGRA came to the US to perform for the US for the first time. She brought me snacks that they are selling in cross promotion with wakako-zake!

I also spoke to the mangaka about these and she responded a second time to me in English.

https://twitter.com/chiezoooou/status/640774437885767680

Soma 23

Return of the jiggles/foodgasm

So many scrubs. Gotta start and end with the real chefs I guess!

Next episodes the finale, time to pray for S2. Ends about where we all expected, I need to see those 1v1s tho

Well 4 and PW were pretty terrible as well writing wise so I dunno why I expected anything substantial from V. Trying to put the trailers together sequentially told a better story then what I've seen so far. I'm not sure if I wanted more plot stuff from V or less because there's not much there and what is there isn't good. Doesn't help that it's padded.

The gameplay is so great and fully realized that I will probably find myself excusing a lot of stuff I probably wouldn't otherwise though.

Currently watching GATE, Charlotte and Wakakozake. Discovered the last one a few weeks ago, really loving it (as I'm a foodie)!

Went to SacAnime last weekend as a DJ friend from MOGRA came to the US to perform for the US for the first time. She brought me snacks that they are selling in cross promotion with wakako-zake!

I also spoke to the mangaka about these and she responded a second time to me in English.

https://twitter.com/chiezoooou/status/640774437885767680

How were the snacks? Did they make you go Pschuuuu-shuuuu~?
-------

Not enough people are watching Wakako-Zake btw

I've been disappointed by short animes way too many times, I don't even bother with them anymore.

Between Animator Expo and this show, (maybe Wakaba*Girl too) it's been a great time for shorts.

I like it when shows play around with their length, Ninja Slayer does this well for example, 13 minutes a week instead of 26 minutes keeps the show a bit more fresh, although there are a bunch of other problems with Ninja Slayer.

As for Wakako-Zake, it's just 4 minutes an episode, check it out, maybe you'll like it!
And if you don't you only wasted four minutes of your life, that's not too bad.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki

I mean, I laughed at the Meat General in the comic, but the curry lady straddling the cannon cracked me up for some reason.

But yeah, goddamn they ratched up the lewd this week.

Priz

KenjiGlove: I haven't tried the snacks yet. :( Been pretty busy as of late. (Thought I'd get to use this weekend to recover/get caught up on stuff from last weekend - nope! Stuff all 3 days... sigh...) Hopefully next week or MAYBE Sunday night if I'm lucky after watching the new episode...

Gbraga: Can you name a few you've seen? I've been happy with the few series I've watched as I don't have much free time these days and always a backlog... but shows like Fight!! Cromartie High School, Astro Fighter Sunred and now I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying are shorter than normal but well done for what they are and I love them as much if not more than most of the normal length series. Maybe due to time constraints they have to keep the pace going and so it doesn't let up and just be intensely focused.

Symphogear GX 11

LOL so the strength Hibiki inherited from her father was essentially "everything will be daijoubu"

That cliffhanger, no shit. She's probably that giant mummy thing they fought at the beginning. Now bring back red hair!

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 9

This episode, though typically engaging, was rather inconsistent, detrimentally weakened by how restrained the storytelling continues to be, as the narrative momentum that was established two episodes ago has yet to fully ignite. As a result, what should quite easily be a crescendo within the story seems solely capable of maintaining the occasionally dull and confusedly paced status quo, which isn&#8217;t something I&#8217;d normally suggest for one of Nakamura&#8216;s works. Of course, this entire season has felt oddly paced, often slipping into a listless tedium that seems perpetually uncertain of its narrative intentions, so the flaws within this episode weren&#8217;t exactly unexpected. The Kuu&#8217;s escalating infestation is perhaps the strongest aspect of the story at the moment, as their disturbing tendencies emphasize a thoroughly effective atmosphere; one that has largely been absent since the first season.

The public&#8217;s acceptance of Gelsadra&#8217;s ideals, though a bit ridiculous, was somewhat understandable, but the manner in which the majority of them so easily rationalized the
Kuu&#8217;s savage tendencies
seems rather excessive. Society&#8217;s passive ignorance and inherent cruelty is certainly an intriguing thematic thread, but in pursuit of depicting the ruinous success of Gelsadra&#8217;s aspirations, the level of dissent voiced by the people appears to be effectively non-existent, which is fairly poor writing. Jou&#8217;s reckless attempt to
single-handedly defeat yet another enormously powerful enemy
, though slightly admirable, is an amusingly constant bit of flawed characterization. The fight itself, existing as one of the few this season has provided, was reasonably well-crafted and engaging. The involvement of Sugane
as a sacrifice of sorts
was perhaps the most satisfying moment of the episode, since he had been utterly wasted as a character to that point.

The focus placed on Tsubasa has been incapable, at all times, of being either compelling or enjoyable, instead determined to rob her character of any individuality. This, along with her tedious characterization, results in a character that is wholly devoid of worth, destined to atone for the errors within her judgment only at the very end in a cliché attempt to instill in her development a redemption that she hasn&#8217;t remotely earned. Needless to say, as the makeshift heroine of this season, she has failed spectacularly in being anything more than a banal waste of time that is notably detrimental to the quality of this series. As such, the focus on her self-realization in this episode, though long-overdue, was hardly effective, existing merely as a tiresome distraction from the far more compelling elements of the narrative.

The potential elevation of Rizumu and VAPE as the climactic antagonist is a potentially dreary development. Having never displayed even a modicum of potential earlier in the season, it seems quite unlikely that this particular threat can become remotely interesting. Of course, merely appearing in two or three scenes throughout the previous five episodes doesn&#8217;t exactly help. The vaguely inconsistent nature of Rizumu&#8217;s motivations, as well, heavily detracts from the effectiveness of
his release from prison at the end of this episode
. After all, albeit at the expense of society becoming &#8220;apes&#8221;, CROWDS&#8217; dissolution was apparently all that he had desired and has seemingly accomplished, so it&#8217;s rather strange that he will likely become the final villain of this story. Perhaps he intends to assist Gatchaman in some way, though this seems unlikely. Since Hajime alluded to
the protection of Gelsadra as a priority
, it appears evident that
Rizumu could attack Gelsadra
, which, depending on the execution, might be a compelling development.

All in all, Gatchaman Crowds Insight remains a frustratingly disappointing, yet occasionally enjoyable, continuation of the first season, excelling primarily with Iwasaki&#8216;s superb music and the bizarre nature of its world (which, in itself, is less pronounced than it once was). One of this season&#8217;s most egregious flaws is the storytelling, as it has been decidedly unremarkable throughout, absent any sort of consistent or even confident execution. The narrative, quite often, seems sloppily constructed, continuously reliant on a methodical approach to the telling of its story. Unfortunately, though deliberately paced stories are typically refreshing in the insightful exploration of their themes and characters, this particular tale is largely devoid of the skillful writing necessary to convey these elements in a thoughtful or satisfying fashion. Instead, what&#8217;s left is a highly repetitious story that seems incapable of illustrating its themes or the evolution of its characters with the slightest bit of subtlety or nuance. If Tsubasa is to be a substantial focus in the next episode, which the conclusion to this one appeared to foreshadow, hopefully it can manage a small amount of decency. Her grandfather will likely be heavily involved in the next step of her development, so it will, at the very least, be an improvement.

Ascheroth

Soma - 23

Maruiiiiiiiii!

Can't believe next week is already last week. And it ends where we all expected it to end. Fingers crossed for a second season announcement!
Now, about this episode: Lewd. And hilarious. And entertaining. All the nicknames really cracked me up. Also, Kurokibas bandana-induced personality switches are pretty cool.

Infinite Ryvius 6-7

I'm getting quite a few Lord of the Flies vibes in these past two episodes. A conflict in leadership, Characters only using violence to solve things to name a few.

And it is kinda gratifying to see Yuki get a taste of his medicine.

javac

Infinite Ryvius 6-7

I'm getting quite a few Lord of the Flies vibes in these past two episodes. A conflict in leadership, Characters only using violence to solve things to name a few.

And it is kinda gratifying to see Yuki get a taste of his medicine.

Ryvius is a cool show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom