• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjonaug

My understanding is that the Steins;Gate VN is to be preferred over the anime adaptation. Many of my trusted sources tell me the anime is a fairly poor adaptation.

Your trusted sources are wrong, they're about equal in quality. Each of them does some stuff better than the other, so they're both worth checking out.

Things VN does better: Better art style, Faris' arc and Faris in general, and the text messages add a lot to some of the characterization.

Things anime does better: Voice acting performances, (near-ending spoilers)
FB and related stuff (the stabbing and aftermath in the VN is way too over the top)
, developing the relationships between the characters (we get more small scenes from other characters' perspectives and some scenes developing Okabe and Kurisu's relationship have been changed around for the better, there's several small bits in the anime that I really like that aren't in the VN), and the lack of Okabe's internal narration isn't much of a loss (if I had to read Okabe talk about how "slender" one of his female friends was one more time I was gonna throw up).

The VN is also longer in general, but other than some content cut from the Faris arc that I rather liked none of the content that was cut for time did much to enhance the overall product.

So do I need to know anything before I watch Fate Zero?

Not really. The first episode is an insufferable, hour long infodump that will bring you up to speed and hopefully not turn you off from the rest of the show.

No Dirty Jokes 11

Hey, I actually liked this episode! Not like the show is bad but I enjoyed it more in line with the first couple.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 10

I liked the Yuru-jii/Tsubasa moment and the Gelsadra finally thinking for himself moment. A bit disappointed this will end with a brawl with the Yuu-samas since the fights kind of suck.

Steins;Gate 3 [Watchbet]
steinsgate-6-03.jpg

I just looked up who John Titor is online. See what you made me do show? You made me curious!

I am still intrigued. The show is slowing pacing itself better and becoming more coherent. A lot of the jokes fall flat but they don't do them... too, too often... So I guess it's fine. Hoping they get somewhere with this soon because it's starting to drag.

Edit: in case anyone is curious, I am watching it subbed. Because Funimation likes it like that.

Rokka no Yuusha 11

GIMME THE NEXT EPISODE RIGHT NOW

Shimoneta 11

Gimme all your Fuwa ships right noooooooow

Wait wait wait...hold up...did they just
confess to each other like it was no big deal and go on with business as usual?

The fuck was that?

Squalor

Rokka no Yuusha, how the fuck could you do this to me?

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Anime of the season right here.

Havne't had a main character this badass in a long time. Adlet is the absolute best.

Linkark07

Banned
Working!!! 11

Finally Satou, you did it. A ship has already sailed.

Next week, or the last episode, the other ship needs to sail too.

GATE 11

Rori pullling dem moves on Itami is hilarious to watch lol. Also looks like we are starting a new interesting arc. Slaying the dragon? I'm in.

Working!!! 11

SATOUUUUUUU YOU DA MANNNNNN YASSSS. Finally!!!! Katanashi you are next!!!!

Cornbread78

Holy fucking shit, goddamn, wow. I can't even believe what just happened... I mean damn, that was crazy stuff. . Just wow.

So much to say, but, I need to wait..

Jarmel

Banned
Spread Weak Sauce-fin
So ends the 2nd season of WIXOSS, in which Ruu
ends the Selector process for all underaged girls.
This season was much less focused on the card battles in of themselves but rather there was a bigger focus on the character drama. Considering the show already wasn't exactly combat heavy, you can imagine how soul sucking that is. A major theme of the show as a whole was focused on dependency, in how people need something or someone to connect to. Many of the Selectors found it in the search of what makes them alive while others took solace in the friendship provided by their talking card.
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/1b20f70bfeedb3fe7a57388ff8e43a20.webm
This is the only time Ruu is happy the entire season.
The production values seem to have taken a hit as there was stand out animation and even the backgrounds weren't as stellar as the first season. So what I'm left with is a show about misery. There's no other way I can describe it. Everything about this cour has to do with suffering whether it's Ruu hating herself for wanting to battle (WHICH TOOK UP FIVE EPISODES) or Afro Casper who wants revenge on a world who ignored her. Everything ended in tears.
nIFLdkb.jpg

The answer is, a lot longer.
Ruu has to be one of the most annoying main characters I've ever had to watch. Her constant bitching and whining and crying drove me to the brink of insanity. I thought they were going to do more and elaborate on her mother but there was none of that this season. I found almost all the characters to be insufferable other than Akilucky and Ulith. I was expecting more from Akilucky as I expected her to shank Ruu's grandmother at some point. I was hoping to see Ruu just spiral into a comatose state but unfortunately none of that happened despite the constant teasing. Akilucky's meltdown and subsequential
stabbing scene
was weak and they didn't even follow through with her to see how low could she go.
What I got from this is that there is no greater satisfaction than stepping on the wishes of others and watch as their dreams collapse in one blinding moment. It is kinda weird how the wish reversal stuff got negated this season in that Akilucky does start to salvage her career and Megane got friends again despite her social anxiety supposedly being permanent. It kinda undercut the hopelessness of the entire affair. I was also expecting there to be more despair twists but the second season was pretty straightforward.
There is totally going to be a Gundam character that spouts this exact same shit. The marketing is already saying identical garbage.

Working!!! 11

Finally
Satou, you did it. A ship has already sailed.

Next week, or the last episode, the other ship needs to sail too

Right! I am so happy it finally happened. And
Soma
seemed to be the happiest of the employees. Literally was the voice of the audience for this episode. So good.

Holy fucking shit, goddamn, wow. I can't even believe what just happened... I mean damn, that was crazy stuff. . Just wow.

So much to say, but, I need to wait..

Dude... It was a great episode. Shit went down and man... I was on the edge of my seat.

Charlotte 11

And there we go, we finally figure out why the show is called Charlotte. Pretty cool how they made it tie up with history. But fuck did things go bad. Jesus.

Steins;Gate 4 [Watchbet]
SteinsGate-Episode-4-005.jpg

I feel you, man. I feel you.

Feel like I am watching out of mere curiosity at this point. But some of the characters in this show feel... off. Like as if some of them are in on something. I just get an uneasy feeling.

Also, while I am happy they are going with this consistent art style, it does feel a bit washed out. Like there's a filter over it or something.

Cornbread78

Satou you manly bastard, about time!
Yachiyo reciprocating immediately was great... no more confusion there..very cute together. .
Bringing out "the girl" was pretty lame, but Takanashi needs to man up next week.

Steins;Gate 4 [Watchbet]

Feel like I am watching out of mere curiosity at this point. But some of the characters in this show feel... off. Like as if some of them are in on something. I just get an uneasy feeling.

Also, while I am happy they are going with this consistent art style, it does feel a bit washed out. Like there's a filter over it or something.

I loved the uneasiness that I felt during the early bits of Steins;Gate. No matter what, something always felt off and it did a great job of keeping me invested to see where everything was going.

Steins;Gate is one of those shows where I wish I could wipe my memory of just so I can experience it again for the first time. It was such a good ride.

Shimoneta 11

LOL AT HOW THEY ESCAPED.
3D PAINTING
AHAHHA. Also we see Tanukichi finally embracing SOX and going along with the dirty jokes. This episode was pure hilarity ahahaha. Him having to erase his "scent" every few minutes because of Anna LOLOL.

Cornbread78

Rory is killing me with these advances on Itami and then setting him up to get beat up by the
dark elf
Looks like they are going to go have to kick some
dragon
ass next week again. This should be awesome..

Charlotte 11

Good episode.

After last week I was wondering how can you hurt the good guys when they have time leap abilities and can just reset things whenever they want? Well, thats one way to make sure the time leap ability can't ever be used again. Evens up the playing field.

Sad to see Kumagami go but after all that torture he's probably better off dead now. I dont fault Yu for this at all, he actually handled this as best as he could. Last minute telekinesis to stop the rubble from crushing him was good. I wonder if Shunsuke is going to torture these foreigners for information. At least Ayu is back.

Speculation:
I think Sala also had time leap abilities but worked with these bad guys? Theres gotta be a reason why they know so much about Shunsuke and his time leap and how they got after Furuki way before Shun started his syndicate.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Charlotte is the weird show where I find it subpar as a single cour show and would have probably liked it quite a bit if it was 12 episodes longer so it wasn't so much whiplash. Pretty much none of the plot had any time to develop.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Charlotte 11

Good episode.

After last week I was wondering how can you hurt the good guys when they have time leap abilities and can just reset things whenever they want? Well, thats one way to make sure the time leap ability can't ever be used again. Evens up the playing field.

Sad to see Kumagami go but after all that torture he's probably better off dead now. I dont fault Yu for this at all, he actually handled this as best as he could. Last minute telekinesis to stop the rubble from crushing him was good. I wonder if Shunsuke is going to torture these foreigners for information. At least Ayu is back.

Speculation:
I think Sala also had time leap abilities but worked with these bad guys? Theres gotta be a reason why they know so much about Shunsuke and his time leap and how they got after Furuki way before Shun started his syndicate.
Using time leap doesn't erase one's memory because how would Yuu remember the laboratory?

Cornbread78

Charlotte is the weird show where I find it subpar as a single cour show and would have probably liked it quite a bit if it was 12 episodes longer so it wasn't so much whiplash. Pretty much none of the plot had any time to develop.

I have to agree here. If they had mixed in more of the info and hinted at and explained some of this stuff interlaced with their attempts to subdue the other ability users, it could have opened things up quite a bit and allowed more growth for the characters and the show as as whole. I wonder why Maeda decided to go with 13 episodes and not 24. Either way, I'm interested in seeing how they close the story up in the last 2 episodes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have to agree here, If they had mixed in more of the info and hinted at and explained some of this stuff interlaced with their attempts to subdue the other ability users, it could have opened things up quite a bit and allowed more growth for the characters and the show as as whole. I wonder why they Maeda decided to go with 13 episodes and not 24. Either way, I'm interested in seeing how they close the story up in the last 2 episodes.

I mean, the transition from the "Yu loses it" plot to "Steins;gate plot" was something like one or two episodes. It's just too fast and there was a lot of lost potential there. Especially given we just had a straight up back from the dead plot. Basically I wish this show was Steins;gate. :-(

Feel like it has the same problem as Angel Beats!: Not enough material to warrant a second cour but 1 isn't enough either. Like 15-16 episodes would probably be enough.

Using time leap doesn't erase one's memory because how would Yuu remember the laboratory?

What do you mean? Is this regarding Sala? Kinda confused.

Jun Maeda doesn't know how to structure or pace a television series. Charlotte is just like Angel Beats in that it feels like the plot and structure of a visual novel that was forced into 13 episodes of animation.

What would have they done in 24 episodes, more slice of life ability school life episodes? I found them hit or miss to be honest. It just doesnt have the same magic that Angel Beats had. (especially the cast and music)

I think a single cour would have been fine if they knew what kind of story they wanted to tell. Everything happening at the moment is so far removed from the episodic first half, where they could have spent time setting up for what is currently happening instead of just dropping everything plot-related into the last 4 episodes.

Phatmac

Charlotte has just been a comedy of errors with the two other people in the group at the start of the show not even being at the climax of the show. Most of the characters feel throwaway and rushed to try and make us feel something. It's a shame since the idea in concept doesn't seems bad. Most of the early episode seen like a waste when the main antagonists of the show have just shown up and are comically bad. At least Nao is one of the few shining beacons this show has produced.

Charlotte has just been a comedy of errors with the two other people in the group at the start of the show not even being at the climax of the show. Most of the characters feel throwaway and rushed to try and make us feel something. It's a shame since the idea in concept doesn't seems bad. Most of the early episode seen like a waste when the main antagonists of the show have just shown up and are comically bad. At least Nao is one of the few shining beacons this show has produced.

If Nao wasn't voiced by Ayane Sakura then she probably would have been meh as well.

trejo

It's a good thing I'd already watched this week's Working!!! otherwise I'd have been pretty pissed reading this page. Is it seriously that hard to maybe consider using spoiler tags for stuff that just recently aired?

Koppai

What the fuck

Charlotte and Plastic Memories making me cry ;_;

Fuckin anime, that's why I quit watching cuz it makes me sad! Jk, I love it when they can touch my heart somehow. :)

Angry Grimace

It's a good thing I'd already watched this week's Working!!! otherwise I'd have been pretty pissed reading this page. Is it seriously that hard to maybe consider using spoiler tags for stuff that just recently aired?
They air at a specific time and it's been like 12 hours. I don't know why you would pop in without having watched.

They air at a specific time and it's been like 12 hours. I don't know why you would pop in without having watched.

This is a general catch-all thread, not a thread dedicated to a specific show. I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to have watched every episode of every anime before they come in here.

trejo

It's just that there used to be a higher level of consideration for other viewers by not blatantly spoiling entire pay offs to series-long plotlines but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore and it's also not like everyone is chomping at the bit to watch something the second it comes out. But whatever, carry on.

Cornbread78

Why is this show so damn good? This mix of action, adventure and mystery each week still hasn't grown old at all and the show is a ton of fun to watch. My question is, how the hell is Adlet
still alive after getting diced up by psycho princess?

I can't wait until next week's episode, I honestly have no idea who the fake is and who the culprit (s) are in this mess...

hey guys how's it going

hope you're liking your animes

Amazing day so far, still have Shinometa to go, but I'm going to play some Tales of Symphonia for a bit first.

I'm probably gonna crucify myself and get put on a couple watch lists, but I was throwing some shit around in my head and had to write some of it out.

I think Rory from GATE might be the only 10,000 year old Loli that...doesn't actually bug me or make me feel uncomfortable. And I think it's all in how she's written and presented. To be fair, I haven't watched much of the show and am mainly just a manga reader (due to the show censoring so much shit) so it may be a bit different in the show, but her characterization and the way she handles herself never makes me feel like she's an underage kid. She never acts or says anything that someone her visual age would say and has been consistent in the manner in which she speaks, how she holds her drink, how she reacts to the things in the Japanese world. It's never done with moe in mind or to make her appear to be this experienced and ancient demi-god that drops that facet as soon as it calls for cuteness or fan-service. Even when it gets fan-servicey or sexual she controls that situation and is the aggressor, her entire attitude during the hot spring episode is a domineering one full of strength and control. It's so weird to me that it didn't bother me even a little bit like it normally would and instead I was rooting for them to fuck since I like her character so much and the interactions with the MC just feel the most natural and strongest.

It doesn't hurt that her body is less of a "looks 12" and more of a "looks like Kuroneko from Oreimo" which allows a generous sliding scale on what her visual age actually looks like. That doesn't mean it isn't a bit fishy or awkward but it isn't like some Nowi from Fire Emblem stuff.

I dunno. I just really enjoy Rory a lot and that's unusual for me and I was trying to figure out why. I guess the fact that she's called "rori" is a bit of an amusing point as well.

I'm probably gonna crucify myself and get put on a couple watch lists, but I was throwing some shit around in my head and had to write some of it out.

I think Rory from GATE might be the only 10,000 year old Loli that...doesn't actually bug me or make me feel uncomfortable. And I think it's all in how she's written and presented. To be fair, I haven't watched much of the show and am mainly just a manga reader (due to the show censoring so much shit) so it may be a bit different in the show, but her characterization and the way she handles herself never makes me feel like she's an underage kid. She never acts or says anything that someone her visual age would say and has been consistent in the manner in which she speaks, how she holds her drink, how she reacts to the things in the Japanese world. It's never done with moe in mind or to make her appear to be this experienced and ancient demi-god that drops that facet as soon as it calls for cuteness or fan-service. Even when it gets fan-servicey or sexual she controls that situation and is the aggressor, her entire attitude during the hot spring episode is a domineering one full of strength and control. It's so weird to me that it didn't bother me even a little bit like it normally would and instead I was rooting for them to fuck since I like her character so much and the interactions with the MC just feel the most natural and strongest.

It doesn't hurt that her body is less of a "looks 12" and more of a "looks like Kuroneko from Oreimo" which allows a generous sliding scale on what her visual age actually looks like. That doesn't mean it isn't a bit fishy or awkward but it isn't like some Nowi from Fire Emblem stuff.

I dunno. I just really enjoy Rory a lot and that's unusual for me and I was trying to figure out why. I guess the fact that she's called "rori" is a bit of an amusing point as well.

Rory is considered a loli?

Bit late to this weeks anime hijinx but lets get started

Shokugeki No Soma 23

"On the next and final episode"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I need season 2 :'[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom