• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlotte 12

So after Yuu got completely fucked up by just two ability users, they decide to send him alone against an entire organization.

Splendid.

Mailbox

With the mystery solved it now turns to yet another adventure anime where our heroes go beat up the demon lord. The reveal of the seventh could've been better. The overall mystery wasn't even as good as a bad case in danganronpa or ace attorney. The solution to it also came out of nowhere but they did leave some hints which I guessed right. It's pretty simple to find out if you paid attention. With the season 2 bait at the end I wouldn't mind another season. Especially with some more cute Formie x Adlet scenes in there. Solid anime but the end is kinda weak.

from what i hear about the second novel, it really doesn't.

I figured this might happen to Rokka.

There's a problem with mystery stores in some regards in the answer can't be too obvious, and it can't fall outside the realm of what the audience could potentially predicted.

If the mystery was a bit more in the background, maybe it would have fared better.

Jarmel

Banned
Rokka-12

I actually really liked this.
There being two fakes is hilarious. It's obviously Maura. I like the design of the new one being ugly in the sense that of course the hot bunny girl was a trap and instead you're stuck with the reality of this overweight girl traveling with you instead.

Another aspect of this episode I liked is that it made clear why Adlet is the leader of the group, and it's not just because he's the main character. He was the one who gave the kill order at the end. Small moments like those help solidify the group dynamics.

Mailbox

I would like to remind everyone that Adlet was completely right from the beginning.

His Eighth Brave theory.

Anywho

Shimoneta 12(end)

Kind of a weak ending episode, but not bad. Sequel hook with the endcards, but not overt enough to actually say that there will be a sequel.

This show was the surprise of the season, and I'm kinda sad its over. Was a hell of a ride.

Sterok

Charlotte 12

This show is all over the place, and no where shows it better than this episode. PTSD, random comedy, sudden romance (that somehow ended up as the most decent part), contemplation of the future, etc. It's all a mess, which is a shame since the series and characters have potential. I guess it's going to either be very rushed, ambiguous, or be setting up for a second season.

Shimoneta 12

Seems to be a filler ending. Where were Tanukichi's nipples. They're usually there, so their disappearance really bugged me.

Ascheroth

I figured this might happen to Rokka.

There's a problem with mystery stores in some regards in the answer can't be too obvious, and it can't fall outside the realm of what the audience could potentially predicted.

If the mystery was a bit more in the background, maybe it would have fared better.

I strongly disagree. The whole focus on the mystery is what set Rokka apart from the rest and made it immensly entertaining.
The reason why I'm personally a bit dissapointed in the ending was not the resolution to the mystery, but the part that came after. Basically the setup for the rest of the story (that may or may not get an anime adaption).
And it wasn't actually bad per se, it just felt sudden.

Shouta

Rokka 12

I like that the mystery actually makes sense but the deus ex machina that shows up just solidifies that answer. They could have figured it out without it I think but not under those tense circumstances, I think. I hope they make another season and actually prove there are supposed to be 7 Braves instead of playing who's the fake again or something, lol.

New girl's design is rough, I can't tell if she's supposed to be an elephant or a cow from her clothing.

Gate 12

As I recall, folks said this was a 24 episode show. This episode makes sense in that because it's foreshadowing all kinds of stuff down the line, lol. Solid ep and Pina's order only is getting to be more fujoshi, lol.

Rokka 12

I was actually hoping for
"There weren't any fakes, we really do have a 7th" route but I guess Hot Bunny Girl makes sense. Since her meltdown from episode 4? I knew something was wrong with her. She definitely feels like a different person now than she did at the very first episode but since she isn't dead yet, we will probably learn about her motivations in the next season if there is one.

Loved that kill order. I thought Adlet was gonna go all talk-no-jutsu like he did with Flamie but nope, he straight up ordered the rest to kill the fake. Boss status.

This show was the surprise of the season for me. Loved it. Found the cliffhanger frustrating but I had to laugh at
there being ANOTHER 7th. Adlet might be right in that there were two imposted from the very beginning.

Cow girl is ugh. Maura is definitely the other fake but now it just seems too obvious for it to be true.

Rokka 12

Haha, oh wow, I laughed the entire way through this episode, funny ending.

Obvious reveal though

But surely it's the same princess we have met in the first ep ? The impostor would have to fake the entire Saint of blades business.

In episode one Adlet noticed that Nachetanya smelled like apples or something, I always kept it in the back of my head for some reason. When she teleported away just now Adlet noticed the smell again so they're definitely the same

So is Rokka worth watching or not? I'm getting mixed signals. I like my mystery shows to be have little bullshit and no unnecessary amount of foreshadowing and flashbacks.

Rokka-12

There being two fakes is hilarious. It's obviously Maura. I like the design of the new one being ugly in the sense that of course the hot bunny girl was a trap and instead you're stuck with the reality of this overweight girl traveling with you instead.

Another aspect of this episode I liked is that it made clear why Adlet is the leader of the group, and it's not just because he's the main character. He was the one who gave the kill order at the end. Small moments like those help solidify the group dynamics.

I didn't see the 7th brave coming to be honest. Hope it gets a 2nd season. The mystery was long but it made the show hella interesting and really familiarized us with all the braves.

So is Rokka worth watching or not? I'm getting mixed signals. I like my mystery shows to be have little bullshit and no unnecessary amount of foreshadowing and flashbacks.

I recommend it. The mystery was a surprise factor and the animation is solid. The characters are all likable too.

I'd say it's worth it, definitely the best "action" show of this season, although it was a pretty weak season in that aspect, at least in my opinion.

There are definitely some shows that are more worth your time though, it's far from a masterpiece.

Still, it's enjoyable.

Also, the mystery adds a lot of extra intrigue to the whole show.

Charlotte 12

All over the place.
Plan sounds stupid. Why the fuck would you erase their minds and not interrogate the terrorists?
Stupid ass show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's starting again in Winter.
That makes sense.

Are Japanese drama stuff made on the same kind of crazy schedule as anime, or do they have more 'normal' production schedules? Like having most/everything filmed by now instead of like the last week before airing the final episode.
Given that they're usually 10 episodes long, I assume they're filmed in a batch rather than have 10 weeks of filming like an American show... but I don't know, actually.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Shimoneta 12(end)

Kind of a weak ending episode, but not bad. Sequel hook with the endcards, but not overt enough to actually say that there will be a sequel.

This show was the surprise of the season, and I'm kinda sad its over. Was a hell of a ride.
More like they want you to buy the books/manga/whatever.

I'm dreading School Live's ending for precisely the same reason actaully.

Knew people would have mixed feelings about the twist in Rokka. I can say that it's
not handled in the same way as the first seventh, but saying how it differs might spoil book 2

Mailbox

I'd recommend it, yeah.

But you may wanna wait for the BD release or something. The art can be really rough in places.

But other than that (which i just attribute to budget + this being the studio's first big project), its great!

Rokka no Yusha 12

Trolololo.
That new arrival.

I knew rabbit ears were evil from the very first episode !

But surely it's the same princess we have met in the first ep ? The impostor would have to fake the entire Saint of blades business.
The real Nachetanya was the fake, but she's workingwith a certain fiend. That said, they bring up how the way she disappeared was weird in book 3, but didn't answer it in that book

Razmos

Symphogear GX episode 12: Hmm, not too sure about this, i was expecting some batshit twists but all that is happening is "I'm stronger", "No, we have xxxx powerup!"

Its pretty much the last 2 series finales rolled into one. They activated some extra power level we didnt know about, it didnt work because the villain uses crazy math powers and their power is millions times stronger than x, but with teamwork (Channeled through Hibiki, of course) they pulled it off and got their angel upgrades again.

I guess one cool thing about that sequence is that they used the same power they used last season and was never seen since (Hibiki's power to absorb the power of a Swan Song and disperse it)

I hope the last episode does something a bit more original

phaze

Depends on what you want from it. It's okayish. The resolution is a bit bulshitty. And ultimately it was much ado about nothing. Even the reasons and the means behind entire conundrum remain foggy and the big picture hasn't changed much/at all. If you go into it, having made peace with all the above then, well, maybe ?

--------

Did the penultimate episode of Soma leave things on some cliffhanger/ in the middle of something ? Wondering whether to catch up completely.

Sterok

Aikatsu 151

I'm surprised Akari hasn't been traumatized by that trampoline yet. Little Beat Little Wing is good, but nothing beats the return of Diamond Happy. Soleil kicking ass like always. Rankings were predictable. Vanilla Chili Pepper even getting that high is huge seeing how new they are. I was rooting for Powa Puri. They got a drama boost and a top tier performance, but they underwhelmed relative to in-universe expectations. Tristar on the other hand literally just got back together, and they're already pulling big numbers. Must be the Mizuki effect. Luminas beating PPP and Tristar is sketchy seeing how new they are, but that's how it was always going to go. They're way too new to take on the current queens though. Next episode seems to be setting up next season. Can't wait to see how that goes.

Rokka no Yuusha - 12 [End]

I started laughing when it was asked why there were seven of them. But whatever keeps some kind of mystery going, I'm all for it I guess.
Replace a terrible design with another one. Pretty cool power to be able to change the color of your gloves in the blink of an eye!

While I was fairly certain of the culprit early, I think the show was still enjoyable due to the interactions and tense situations. One of the shows I enjoyed the most this season.

Durarara X2 23

So much stuff going on in this episode and I'm loving it. There's no way this will be all resolved in one episode though. Not without it being rushed.

Gvitor

Rokka finale

HAHAHAHAHAHA

We've been played like damn fiddles
Another seventh. I mean, surely it ain't the new girl, that'd be anticlimatic. Early bet on Hans

AOTS

Why the hell did Flamie need to drink the potion and kiss Adlet?

The reveal was kinda expected since it could only be Nachetanya or Goldov. But that's what I like about the another seventh plotline. It can't be the new girl, that'd be bad, so that means it could be another one instead of Nachetanya. Which makes the whole "it could only be Goldov or Nachetanya" untrue. (assuming it ain't Goldov, but he'd be like... the first one suspected.)

Rokka finale

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Another seventh. I mean, surely it ain't the new girl, that'd be anticlimatic. Early bet on Hans

AOTS

The reveal was kinda expected since it could only be Nachetanya or Goldov. But that's what I like about the another seventh plotline. It can't be the new girl, that'd be bad, so that means it could be another one instead of Nachetanya. Which makes the whole "it could only be Goldov or Nachetanya" untrue. (assuming it ain't Goldov, but he'd be like... the first one suspected.)

She didn't ;)

I still suspect Maura.

ibyea

Banned
Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, episode 2a
My continuing playthrough of lawyer not anime anime.

Yeah sure game, it all totally takes place in the US. Not in Japan at all. That's just a town of Japanese immigrants. Sure game. Sure. Funnily enough, this Japanifornia thing makes Simon Blackquill, the prosecutor, look like a British weeabo, since he is a samurai lawyer or something.

Speaking of the prosecutor, the previous prosecutors may have gotten away with a lot of stuff like outright cheating, being smug assholes, whipping, throwing mugs of coffee at the defense, and playing an electric air guitar that somehow actually makes sound, but this one takes the cake. He is the most illegal prosecutor in the series yet, a convicted prisoner that every so often dishes out death threats, attempt to slice them with his sword, assault people with his pet bird, and hypnotizes everyone's mind.

Phatmac

Rokka finale

HAHAHAHAHAHA

AOTS

The best tonics are delivered with a kiss. :D

Depends on what you want from it. It's okayish. The resolution is a bit bulshitty. And ultimately it was much ado about nothing. Even the reasons and the means behind entire conundrum remain foggy and the big picture hasn't changed much/at all. If you go into it, having made peace with all the above then, well, maybe ?

--------

Did the penultimate episode of Soma leave things on some cliffhanger/ in the middle of something ? Wondering whether to catch up completely.

Nah, not at all. Just catch up. Sure, the the next episode features the highest tier calibers in the contest so far but otherwise it's not like all previous episodes build up to just this.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A Actual Storyboard Draft by the Manga Author Sui Ishida Translated.

http://sunset-tower.tumblr.com/post/129418629852/ishidas-root-a-storyboard-drafts-are-so-fun-to

tumblr_n0buqgQLB31tn7c4ao1_500.gif

Ahahahahha Studio Pierrot fucking skipped like 95% of the draft which is why the anime was garbage. Since the Director wanted to use his own ideas instead of actually following the draft of Root A, you get this crap. Kaneki was actually a character in the Draft, but in the anime they made him a Emo shit. I ended up enjoying reading the draft a hell lot more than actually watching Root A. Ahahahahaha fuck you Studio Pierrot/production committee.

I feel really bad for the Author because he spent hours upon hours working on this Draft to only get a garbage final product that skipped almost everything. The author even said his head was going to explode from exhaustion while writing the draft. The anime could of actually been quite solid if they had followed the draft.

MSMrRound

Symphogear GX 12

Pacing seems to be all over the place this episode.

Now that Mizuki Nana and Yuuki Aoi have just been announced to be joining Persona 5, Symphogear decided to go a bit Persona on us.

Double release and all limiter remove though.

Then it suddenly got into a fight about numbers. S2CA? Hah, you know what my phonic gain is? It's over *mention something about number*!!! *Recalls what they previously said about phonic gain levels and how they are used*

"Well, we have the
X-Drive mode but it is useless without enough phonic gain
"

Well hey! Guess what, the next part went as expected.

Okay episode of Symphogear, not exactly the best though. Ep 1,6 and 11 are still currently the top 3 for me (with 9 being a close behind for Tsubasa's finisher).

One more episode left. Please do something crazy Symphogear, and blow my mind to bits.

Rokka the Casbah: Final episode and Series thoughts

What an amazing episode to end the series on. I won't hold my breath for a second season but man the show did what many other shows when they deal with LN properties: it ended its current plot even if the over-all plot is still nowhere near done. I mean sure
there's now an 8th
but I won't cry to sleep over it.

Adlet's whole character is brains and tactics over brawn and raw power. He's the perfect leader. He's the Captain America to everybody else's Avengers, except there's no Black Widow. The characters really grew on me by the end of this episode, Adlet has a girl and a bro so I'm sure he's happy. Heck Flamie
while not entirely sure what it is, is pretty head over heels for him even giving him an 'indirect kiss' by giving him his medicine
. Also lol at the jeaulous Flamie at the end, surprisingly refreshing couple in anime with the male being the forward one and the female being the reserved one.

When this series started I don't think there was a single person in here (who didn't know about the LN beforehand) who would have guessed it would end up being the surprise sleeper hit of the season. And it's hard to see why. We have some ridiculous generic looking protagonists outside of maybe Flamie, silly anime outfits, a lead who acts like a Naruto-Luffy clone on the surface and a bunch of silly settings blended in and what looked to be a generic fantasy anime. But then the show went on a path nobody really saw coming: suspense, mystery and drama as character began fighting amongst themselves.

I won't say it's a series for everyone but it's definitely a nice show worth checking out if you enjoy suspense and mysteries. It isn't a particular strong mystery show as much of its revelations are information they don't really give out but characters now, but a fun show to watch regardless.

Rokka No Yuusha gets an 8.5/10. I won't give it the Woof seal of approval but definitely give it whatever comes below it. Maybe the Woof seal of 'one of the top three shows this season'. Yes let's call it that.

Rokka-12

I find it hilariously mean that
she's dressed like a cow

Cornbread78

Final felt kinda anti-climactic, but the rapist Anna parts were funny as usual. The series as a whole was a lot of fun to watch and will be missed this fall.

Now and Then, Here and There 01-03 (Ima, Soko ni iru Boku)

gANdxbk.gif

Well I've heard this is a rather heavy and depressive one. Now within the first three episodes we got
child torture and presumably child rape
among a generally rather disturbing, war-torn setting. So yeh, this one is tough. There's also no edginess to be found here.

Other than that, I gotta say I'm quite impressed by the overall direction and there's been lots of great animation already, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom